ORAS OU RMT Currently ~1500+ Going Up

Hi guys, I have a pretty good team here that has led me to a couple amounts of success. I still have some few tweaks that I need to make but I can't seem what to do in order to make this team a little better.
So to start off,

Heres, Tornadus-T
upload_2016-9-12_13-19-44.png

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Yes, tornadus' speed is an essential part of the team that allows U-turn to cause damage and make the switch, changing the games momentum and still hitting a chunk of HP, while regenerating that lost HP from Life Orb. Hurricane can punish switch ins no matter what and the confusion is an extra bonus, then due to speed get a u-turn (hitting latias nicely) out of there and completely change the momentum. HP Ice can help taking out Gliscor, it still is a 2HKO but if hit on the switch in can definitely cripple it.
Heatwave can punish those bulky steel types like ferrothorn really hard, and works well if Char Y has sun out to cause more damage to switch ins.

252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 369-437 (104.8 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 200+ SpD Gliscor: 281-333 (79.8 - 94.6%)
0- Atk Life Orb Tornadus-T U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Latias: 130-153 (35.7 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0- Atk Life Orb Tornadus-T U-turn vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 143-169 (47.8 - 56.5%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO

upload_2016-9-12_13-38-54.png

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Air Slash
Tha picture says it all. IT is a COMPLETE monster,
One of the best Wallbreakers in the game. Checking M-Sableyes obvious WoW,and It allows you to just chip away at teams heavily.
It is very fragile to Scarfed T-tar, exca but we have checks for that.
A Timid nature allows Mega Charizard Y to Speed tie with other positive-natured base 100 Speed Pokemon, namely Manaphy, as well as Jolly Excadrill outside of sand and maximum Speed Kyurem-B.
And solarbeam will help with those water threats like manaphy and azumarill. Just don't let it belly drum on you. For manaphy, drought helps tank, even after a tailglow. I replaced roost with airslash ash it can also do decent amount of damage on various types of mons, just make sure chansey is able to wish hp back up if needed.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 306-360 (89.7 - 105.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 240-284 (80.8 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Sableye in Sun: 279-328 (91.7 - 107.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 366-432 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 240-284 (59.8 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

upload_2016-9-12_13-51-55.png

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 100 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

T-Tar Wrecks. Although I am still trying to figure out a better spread, it still wrecks. I wanted to give it a little extra bulk while maintaining speed and attack. But, Ive noticed I would want a spread with altleast 302 speed in order to beat those LO Excadrill, with superpower. While luring the obvious EQ from scarfed excadrill. Either switching to torn-t (Who can H-wave, if they are stupid to stay, or u-turn to gain momentum) or skarm. Ice punch works great for opposing birds, grass, etc. Crunch does HEAVY damage, and pursuit is there to trap those pesky Latios/as and psychic mons. Sandstream increases the spD and allows for even more spD tank. I wanted something in able to check zapdos, or any other electric types because this team gets wrecked by them. This mon can do some editing but hasn't yet disappointed me too much.

252+ Atk Tyranitar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 444-524 (104.7 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Staraptor: 246-290 (79 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

upload_2016-9-12_14-7-48.png

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Wish

I have debated between Blissey or chansey so much due to the Eviolite being knocked off vs leftovers from blissey. But, still, De Blobs are so OP. This set can tank any SpD hit so easily. And heal the team back up in a flash while crippling fast threats with t-wave. Helping with electric, and water threats to the team, it can also serve to catch people off guard. Expecting a wish switch, they may switch and I can get the t-wave or chip off some dmg while healing myself up. Softboiled is a must due to the fact u can t-wave, tank, then heal back up. I have been debating the use of heal bell, but that can be a double bladed sword. Taunt users can predict the switch and cripple chansey completely, but if i end up getting torn-t, char-y para'd , or t-tar burned it can solve huge problems.

upload_2016-9-12_14-16-8.png

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Defog
- Counter
- Whirlwind
- Roost

If Chansey can't take, Skarmory CAN.
Its physical bulk is toooooo much to handle. Obviously i needed a spinner or defogger, but skarm fit this team a lot better. Countering Both exca and t-tar, bisharp nicely, as well as many other physical attackers, while punishing them with helmet. If I manage to allow a SD on the opponent i can count on using skarm to tank and counter the hit, OHKOing a threat. and Roosting back up. And sturdy helps with wild charge, or any physical attack that OHKOs skarm. Or just enjoy annoying them with whirlwind if I was playing stupid and allowed a sub, SD.

upload_2016-9-12_14-23-47.png

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
Yes, my little pony is a beast, where specs hydropump can chip off SOOO much damage.
Scald to burn incoming physical threats, making skarms job easier. I decided to put in focus blast instead of secret sword. This could be changed but I feel like it has done a pretty good job so far. I'm not exactly sure which could be better but I did notice chansey as a threat without secret sword.
And Icy wind is of course to weaken/slow down those speedy threats, like birds and latias/os.
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 300-354 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 548-648 (85.3 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

To top it all off, I just want to say it has been fun playing with this team, definitely winning alot more than losing. But clearly there is still a lot of room for improvement. (that goes for any team).
As mentioned, chansey can be a threat to this team, sorta, and Electric types (Specifically M-Manetric) can sweep if you are not careful. Manectric can be checked by chansey and OHKOed easily by Char, and keldeo on a switch in but still poses a huge threat. I was thinking of adding a ground type, maybe land-t but i'm still not exactly sure what can be added to not allow more holes and cover up that weakness.
So yea, if you see a Lt. Surge team, click X.

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Air Slash

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 100 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Wish

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Defog
- Counter
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi, I like the core of Zard-Y+Tyranitar+Keldeo, and it is incredibly potent, but there are a few notable flaws which I think can be remedied with a few tweaks here and there, and a few changes of Pokemon choice. The main issues with this team that strike me at first glance are the lack of Stealth Rock, a necessity on every team; a massive weakness to opposing Keldeo, as your only counterplay is to sack a Pokemon and then hope to revenge kill it with Tornadus-T, and it severly weakens/OHKOs every member of your team; a huge weakness to the popular 3 attacks Dragon Dance Zard X; furthermore, the addition of Chansey+Skarmory on such an offensive team doesn't make much sense to me, as both are incredible momentum saps; and, finally, a few of your sets, most notably Zard-Y's, Tyranitar's and Keldeo's are sub-optimal, but I'll get onto that.

+
+
Firstly, I'd recommend changes to both of your current Zard-Y and Tyranitar choices. Air Slash, though STAB on Zard-Y, is completely redundant coverage, as all of its would-be targets are hit harder by Sun-boosted Fire Blast; I'd recommend running Roost > Air Slash on Zard-Y. With Zard-Y's crippling Stealth Rock weakness, Roost is a necessity as it provides longevity, allowing it to switch in more than two times on Stealth Rock. As for Tyranitar, Stone Edge is a necessity on every set, as Rock STAB is great in the current metagame, along with it being required to effectively check the likes of Talonflame. Furthermore, the spread you're currently using is the standard spread for Choice Band Tyranitar, which allows it to outpace 24-Speed Skarmory. Choice Scarf Tyranitar runs a spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with a Jolly Nature, allowing it to outpace prominent threats in the meta such as Starmie, Lati@s, Gengar and other base 110s such as Mega Metagross and Mega Diancie. As an alternative to this, you could also run Choice Band Tyranitar in its place, and keep the spread that you're currently using. This would provide you with another potent wallbreaker alongside Zard-Y, which would cover the physical spectrum and aid Zard-Y in doing its job even more effectively in Pursuit trapping and weakening roadblocks to it such as Chansey. I personally like the look of Band Tyranitar on this team, though I'll leave that choice up to you. Finally for this section, Keldeo should always be running a reliable form of Fighting-type STAB, namely Secret Sword. As you said, Chansey can be an issue without it, and the unreliability of Focus Blast should be enough to deter you from having it as your only Fighting-type move on Keldeo. For future reference, all Choice-item Keldeos must be running Scald, Hydro Pump and Secret Sword. Focus Blast and Icy Wind are both viable filler options on Choice Specs Keldeo, so if you want to keep on using Focus Blast, I'd recommend a set of Scald / Secret Sword / Hydro Pump / Focus Blast.

->
The next change I'd recommend is Defensive Landorus-T > Skarmory with a Yache Berry. What this does is provide you with a means of Stealth Rock, a means of counterplay against Mega Charizard X, being the premier check to it for offensive teams such as this one, and a means of checking and eliminating threatening Electric-types such as Thundurus-I and Mega Manectric, which you mentioned in your threats. It also retains some of Skarmory's traits in being a great physical buffer with Intimidate, and a great Sand Rush Excadrill check with its ground immunity and STAB Earthquake. Furthermore, it brings an aspect of momentum-grabbing to the table via U-turn, allowing you to bring in Zard-Y and Keldeo in on Pokemon that like coming in on Landorus-T such as opposing Landorus-T, Skarmory, Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn.

->
With the removal of Skarmory comes the removal of vital hazard control support for Zard-Y, and to remedy this I'd recommend the addition of Life Orb Latios > Chansey. This brings to the team a solid means with which to check Keldeo, whilst bringing hazard removal with Defog, and it fits the more offensive nature of Zard+Keldeo+Tyranitar. The set I'd recommend would be Draco Meteor / Psyshock / Defog / Roost. Draco Meteor is a great move for chunking everything that isn't a bulky resist such as Jirachi and Specially-Defensive Skarmory, Psyshock to hit Chansey harder, as it'll find itself intensely pressured with the combination of Zard-Y and Tyranitar, making it not too unlikely for it put in range of two hits from Latios, Defog is the mandatory move for supporting Zard-Y, and Roost provides it with longevity, which is necessary for any hazard removal support Pokemon on a team with Zard-Y.

->
With all the changes made so far, the team is incredibly weak to Fairy- and Dragon-types such as, and primarily, Mega Diancie and Lati@s. Choice Scarf Jirachi > Tornadus-T offers a switchin to the likes of the aforementioned Pokemon, whilst granting some added speed to what is a relatively slow team. The set I'd go with is the standard Iron Head / Heart Stamp / U-turn / Healing Wish. Iron Head and Heart Stamp are STAB moves that provide means with which to handle troublesome Fairies and Pokemon such as Mega Lopunny & Keldeo, respectively, whilst also having a juicy 60% flinch chance when factoring in Serene Grace. U-turn functions almost identically to the way it does on Landorus-T, except on Jirachi, it also pivots out on Heatran and Magnezone. Healing Wish is an incredible support move, allowing Jirachi to sacrifice itself in the lategame to restore one of its teammates to full health, whilst removing any status.

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 192 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

The given Landorus-T EVs allow it to nab the kill on Thundurus-I after one round of Life Orb damage, whilst allowing it to outpace Crawdaunt and pivot out into Keldeo whilst getting off a huge chunk of damage.

I hate to change a team as much as I have done here, and it's recommended that raters don't change more than two Pokemon, as a guideline, as this can detract from the initial aim of the team. I feel though, that with this all that has been done is the matchup versus many prominent threats in the meta has been made far greater, without losing the whole idea of weaken/trap checks to Zard-Y and Keldeo and then go to town.

That being said, an alternative team of Zard/Tyranitar/Keldeo/Specially Defensive Skarmory with Rocks and Iron Head/Latias/Tornadus-T could be used, at the expense of offensive pressure and a horrendous matchup against mega Charizard-X and Mixed Thundurus-I. The iteration of the team I provided is much, much stronger. If you want an import of that, shoot me a PM and I'll give you it, along with descriptions such as featured here.

Good luck.

Last edited:
These changes do seem interesting. I did try it out a couple times and had a couple moments where jirachi's ability to outspeed and kill keldeo helped win games. I did notice that having 3 bands/scarfs on the team did limit it quite a lot. I was thinking of maybe trying out latias instead of latios just to have that little extra bulk. The removing of air slash mentioned was definitely beneficial towards the team though. Haha, I had also planned on removing FB for Icywind on keldeo but one game convinced me after being able to clinched the win due to its boosted hitting power. One thing that did bug me was the crippling from T-wave. (which is why chansey natural cure was so niceeee)
Yes, Landorus prevents that from occuring, but Thunderus did give me a problem especially due to its HP Ice. (But that could just be me being a noob and overpredicting) Also, I'm not sure if its possible. I did have a moment where I had keldeo vs a Latios. Predicting the Psyshock/Psychic, I switched into T-Tar in order to activate the immunity and pursuit trap. Well, what do you know, he predicted a switch and hit me with surf. Hitting about 51%. Any way to make it a 3HKO? Where I can take another surf and trap? Or would you say that moveset was more niche than popular in the meta?

Overall, thanks for the review, it was fun using both teams.
BTW: Still above 1500 :) Good Team

The three Choice items isn't really a big deal, seeing as they're all great sets, but if you wanted you could run either Life Orb on Keldeo, or, Subsitute+Calm Mind, as this has great synergy with Pursuit-bait Pokemon such as Latios. Focus Blast on Keldeo is a great option, allowing you to OHKO opposing Keldeo 87.5% of the time, allowing you to OHKO Volcanion, which is a big deal, and also allowing you to OHKO standard 248 HP Rotom-W after Stealth Rock damage, which troubles the team a little bit. As I said, both Focus Blast and Icy Wind are fine options, but I'd be inclined to go with Focus Blast considering the team has Tyranitar+Jirachi.

I initially considered Latias > Latios, also. If you wanted you could use Latias, but the issue with that would be that Latias's main niche over Latios is in Healing Wish (which is provided on this team anyway by Jirachi), and when running Healing Wish it has no space for Roost, reducing its longevity and overall how reliably it can keep hazards away from the field during the match. Latios on the other hand can run two attacks with Roost and Defog, whilst also providing immense offensive pressure, so I went with that.

Surf is an incredibly popular move on Latios at the moment, allowing it to bypass checks such as Mega Diancie (which almost always run HP Fire now, so Latios outspeeds), Heatran, and forcing Tyranitar into a 50/50 if it's Scarf Tyranitar, whilst having a solid chance to just straight up eliminate Banded Tyranitar with decent rolls on Surf+Draco. In short, to answer your question on whether there's a Choiced Tyranitar spread that can reliably beat Surf Latios whilst retaining its initial goals: no, it'd mean taking far too much out of its offensive investment for it to function properly as a breaker with Band, or a revenge killer with Scarf. The reason why I mentioned Lati@s as a threat in the Jirachi section was solely because of the immense popularity Surf has been gaining on Latios as of late. Should you be hit by a surf on the switch into Tyranitar, you can then proceed to pivot out into Jirachi, eat the incoming Draco/Surf, and click U-turn. At that point you'll have scouted the set and weakened Latios in the process.

If you're having issues with Thundurus even with Yache Lando, you could go with Scarf > Band on Tyranitar, giving you another means with which to check it. This also improves the matchup the team has with Mega Metagross drastically, seeing as the only counter play to it as it stands is to pivot into it with Jirachi/force it to eat a Draco from Latios and then killing it with Lando's Earthquake once it's in range (70.4 - 83.7%). The trade-off of course is a far worse matchup against stall in with the loss of the Band from Tyranitar, which I don't think is worth it, seeing as both Thundurus and Mega Metagross can be beaten with the team if played correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)