Gen 2 Rmt gen 2 ou

Hi im kinda new with gen 2 competitive, have played it on ps, but my building skills arent the best. Im aware of the mechanics.

this is my team

I will now go indepth of how it works

Leftovers
-thunderbolt
-agility
-baton pass
-hidden power water

My team is centered around joltwak, so of course jolteon is in here, its my lead. thunder bolt is stab, agility is to pass to marowak to sweep. hidden power water to hit steelix rhydon marowak etc. Also its my only special attacker really, maybe thats why its not the most reliable team, but im putting this here to get your opinion about it

@thick club
-Swords Dance
-earthquake
-rock slide
- hidden power bug

sword dance is to boost to max atk earthquake is most powerful stab. rock slide for flying types and hidden power bug for coverage, like exeggutor and to hit umbreon hard, this is my main attack guy so thats pretty much it

Leftovers
-mean look
-baton pass
-rest
-charm

ok here is my trapper, its used to trap a mon and then put an appropiate counter to the mon. also it let me set up better as i can trap a mon and then baton pass to jolteon to setup the sweep for marowak, thats the main reason i use him, but I like his ability to trap in general. and it seems it works in this team. mean look is for trapping. charm for lowering attack of physical attackers. baton pass to switch to a mon to counter trapped pokemon. rest to heal, i use miltank as cleric so it also has the ability to wake up, or if you're set up you can tank the hits.

@ leftovers
-drill peck
-whirlwind
-curse
-rest

this is my physical wall and phazer.

this team was kinda frail so i needed a tank, and i prefer skarmory over steelix as it resist more moves. also it let me have something against heracross, which steelix is vulnerable to if it has reversal or earthquake, drill peck is his main damaging move, it can hurt many pokemons even from its pretty low attack. whirlwind is to phaze out curse users or other threats. curse is to set up if its getting in a late game 1v1 against a curse user. rest is for recovery

Leftovers
-body slam
-growl
-milk drink
-heal bell

this is my cleric, im not sure if im better of with using blissey, but since umbreon can take special hits fairly well i thought miltank would be a better option. body slam is a great stab move which can also paralyze. growl is for stalling against curse users. snorlax can't set up on miltank. milk drink for recovery and at last heal bell for status. since i have 2 rest users without sleep talk this seemed a good option to wake them up, also it can remove status from umbreon without it having to use rest. as umbreon don't like status. this is one of the pokemons im not totally sure about, but it helped me in some cases

@ Leftovers
- Cross Chop
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

this is my final member of the team, i needed something to hit snorlax hard and which could damage some of the most problematic pokemons for the team. i decided on a full attack set as there is already so much setup on pokemons i needed something wich had most coverage so no curse. cross chop is for normal and dark types, this gives me something to hit umbreon and snorlax hard. rock slide is for coverage against flying types. earthquake is also greate coverage. fire blast to hit some of the physical walls like skarmory or exeggutor, but by using both marowak and machamp i have the feeling not everyone on the team synergizes well.

So in short
i have the feeling there could be a little more synergy, i have problems with snorlax which carries fireblast, im kinda using miltank for that specific reason. also struggled against a meganium or even rhydon which i couldn't really trap because it has roar also don't have much to hit it with. I hope I can get some tips to carry out my strategy. my main focus is around joltwak wich i find satisfying to pull of, i can link some replays with the team from showdown. thank you for reading this and im eager to hear your suggestions

here is one replay of me pulling of the strategy
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2ou-717869293

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
confuse ray on umbreon could help you cheese out wins. over rest ideally so you can still trap & kill a curselax. Alternatively, replacing it with Smeargle & using that as a lead can more reliably give you the breakneck start you so crave with a bp team (namely by threatening non-ST lead laxes and turn 1 Phazer switch-ins with Spore). It even gets Spider Web + Spore to mess around with.

skarm is iffy but not unplayable on a team like this. conventional wisdom holds that if you’re going for BP in GSC, you go all in on it, which makes stally pokes like Starmie and Blissey not so good. But Skarm actually can function because A) several snorlax variants are huge problems that often go unaddressed on a bp team, and B) jolteon & marowak regain momentum off Skarm’s most common answers - namely electrics & waters. Curse forces a play like that eventually, which allows you to pounce. But do know that Skarm is just an emergency button with helpful properties - it isn’t your key to being both a bp offense and a stall at once.

miltank, being the physically tanky beller, is also iffy but can sort of work for similar reasons. and if you run against a reflect-roar raikou team, it gives you a chance to get a second wind.

because I don’t want to just rebuild the classic BP team for the umpteenth time I say keep them in. But know that you’re treading murky waters piloting a team like this.

Machamp is probably your weakest link after all that. Not that it isn’t a good recipient of agility but its current set isn’t going to cut the mustard. Meditate + Hidden Power Bug can get you past some walls - +1 rock slide 2HKOes Zapdos, and +1 HP Bug lets it OHKO Egg, allowing it to function as a second Marowak. Alternatively, you could run a boosting sweeper here - clefable, quagsire, the obvious snorlax (another lazy but usually good criticism is “why don’t you have a lax?”, although it gets outsped by a lot even at +2 so a BP team can justify its omission better than most), even charizard?!

However, if you (or a random reader) is looking to just learn GSC and how it flows, one team I’d suggest you start with is something like:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
-thunder
-hp ice
-rest
-thunder wave

Miltank @ Leftovers
-body slam
-growl
-milk drink
-heal bell

Marowak @ thick club
-earthquake
-rock slide
-swords dance
-rest

starmie @ leftovers
-surf
-thunder wave
-rapid spin
-recover

snorlax @ leftovers
-body slam
-earthquake
-curse
-rest

skarmory @ leftovers
-drill peck
-curse
-rest
-whirlwind

non-st zapdos helps you avoid the temptation to get reckless with it before the foe reveals a possible vaporeon

marowak is your wincon & has rest + bell support to keep it around

other teammates support it with paralysis

curse snorlax is such a good all-purpose defender, which you need to cover gengar & electrics (using this instead of a raikou to cover these threats is also a temptation-reliever to keep you from getting screwed by growth vaporeon)

skarm lets you not lose vs last-poke curselax (or snorlax in general, but it runs curse for the last-poke curselax reason - IT IS NOT A SWEEPER DON’T TRY TO SWEEP WITH IT) and in general covers many dangerous pokes (egg & marowak especially)

confuse ray on umbreon could help you cheese out wins. over rest ideally so you can still trap & kill a curselax. Alternatively, replacing it with Smeargle & using that as a lead can more reliably give you the breakneck start you so crave with a bp team (namely by threatening non-ST lead laxes and turn 1 Phazer switch-ins with Spore). It even gets Spider Web + Spore to mess around with.

skarm is iffy but not unplayable on a team like this. conventional wisdom holds that if you’re going for BP in GSC, you go all in on it, which makes stally pokes like Starmie and Blissey not so good. But Skarm actually can function because A) several snorlax variants are huge problems that often go unaddressed on a bp team, and B) jolteon & marowak regain momentum off Skarm’s most common answers - namely electrics & waters. Curse forces a play like that eventually, which allows you to pounce. But do know that Skarm is just an emergency button with helpful properties - it isn’t your key to being both a bp offense and a stall at once.

miltank, being the physically tanky beller, is also iffy but can sort of work for similar reasons. and if you run against a reflect-roar raikou team, it gives you a chance to get a second wind.

because I don’t want to just rebuild the classic BP team for the umpteenth time I say keep them in. But know that you’re treading murky waters piloting a team like this.

Machamp is probably your weakest link after all that. Not that it isn’t a good recipient of agility but its current set isn’t going to cut the mustard. Meditate + Hidden Power Bug can get you past some walls - +1 rock slide 2HKOes Zapdos, and +1 HP Bug lets it OHKO Egg, allowing it to function as a second Marowak. Alternatively, you could run a boosting sweeper here - clefable, quagsire, the obvious snorlax (another lazy but usually good criticism is “why don’t you have a lax?”, although it gets outsped by a lot even at +2 so a BP team can justify its omission better than most), even charizard?!

However, if you (or a random reader) is looking to just learn GSC and how it flows, one team I’d suggest you start with is something like:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
-thunder
-hp ice
-rest
-thunder wave

Miltank @ Leftovers
-body slam
-growl
-milk drink
-heal bell

Marowak @ thick club
-earthquake
-rock slide
-swords dance
-rest

starmie @ leftovers
-surf
-thunder wave
-rapid spin
-recover

snorlax @ leftovers
-body slam
-earthquake
-curse
-rest

skarmory @ leftovers
-drill peck
-curse
-rest
-whirlwind

non-st zapdos helps you avoid the temptation to get reckless with it before the foe reveals a possible vaporeon

marowak is your wincon & has rest + bell support to keep it around

other teammates support it with paralysis

curse snorlax is such a good all-purpose defender, which you need to cover gengar & electrics (using this instead of a raikou to cover these threats is also a temptation-reliever to keep you from getting screwed by growth vaporeon)

skarm lets you not lose vs last-poke curselax (or snorlax in general, but it runs curse for the last-poke curselax reason - IT IS NOT A SWEEPER DON’T TRY TO SWEEP WITH IT) and in general covers many dangerous pokes (egg & marowak especially)
Thanks for your reply i tried out the team you suggested to learn the game i think i got a nice game on showdown. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2ou-723716416, butvyeah this team seems much more reliable and balanced, and also fits my playstyle i guess

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)