SM OU RMT Mega Latios Team

This is the first team I have made featuring Mega Latios, the ivs and nature on the latios are strange due to the nature of the game i am using it in which perfect legends are obtainable but very rarely. I am sure there are things up for change however.

Latios-Mega @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 6 Def / 28 SpD
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt

I chose Mega Latios since it checks many common threats and is a very versatile mega pokemon to build around. 1) Its dragon/psychic typing as well as its levitate allows it to be a very valuable member by switching into earthquakes that threaten other members of this team, namely Infernape. 2) Mega Latios's role is to be an all out special sweeper with a very threatening speed stat and a versatile move set. 3) Latios holds a Latiosite to mega evolve and runs Draco Meteor which is its bread and butter stab move with devastating power and high accuracy. I chose Psyshock to tear through specially defensive walls that may give M Latios trouble. Recover is there to give Latios reliable healing since it may not live long enough for Wish support from Umbreon to reach it. Thunderbolt is there for coverage as the team struggles to check some water types.

Scizor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- X-Scissor
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

I chose Scizor as its a bit like the jack of all trades it provides many utilities which i found useful for this team as well as its steel typing and immunity to the dreaded Toxic. 1) Scizor provides Defog support, deals well with Weavile, resists Knock Off, gives priority with Bullet Punch, gives this team a pivot with U-turn, as well as synergizing well with M Latios which resists Scizors crippling fire weakness as it resists M Latios's Fairy weakness. 2) Scizors role on this team is to be a Utility pokemon it provides Defog support as well as a Pivot and switch in to M Latios's Fairy weakness. 3) Scizor holds a rocky helmet to punish the opposing pokemon that attacks it as Scizor switches around into resisted moves. Defog was chosen as this team is vulnerable to entry hazards and can be worn down by them. Bullet punch gives a priority stab move to hit Fairy types. X scissor gives a stab Bug move to hit Psychic, Ghost, and Grass types. U-turn allows Scizor to act as a Pivot and give the team momentum.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Scald

Next I chose Azumarill to handle Dark types that otherwise threaten M Latios and to provide the team with a revenge killer. 1) Azumarills ability Huge Power coupled with access to Aqua Jet provides Azumarill with the tools it needs to revenge kill while also covering a Dark type weakness for M Latios and being able to switch into Dragon type attacks as well that threaten M Latios. 2) Azumarills role is to be a Revenge killer as well as a switch in for Dark and Dragon type attacks aimed at M Latios. 3) Azumarill holds a Choice band to make up for its lack of speed and hit hard. Aqua Jet is Azumarills main Revenge killing tool with stab and priority. Knock off allows it to threaten walls out of setting up on it. Play rough is Azumarills main stab fairy move to exploit weaknesses of pokemon such as Dark and Dragon types. Waterfall is there for stab and the flinch chance.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Next I looked at walls and chose Ferrothorn as my team was in desperate need of a Physical Wall as well as a Stealth Rock setter. 1) Ferrothorn provides Stealth Rocks as well as being a strong Physical Wall against many typings as it can switch into a resisted hit and set up. 2) Ferrothorns purpose is to switch in and set up Stealth Rocks and perhaps even cripple an opposing pokemon with Toxic as well as switching into resisted hits aimed at other teammates. 3) Ferrothorn holds Leftovers to provide it with a way to recover and make its job easier to set up. I chose Hiddenpower Fire to hit opposing pokemon trying to set up such as opposing Grass types. Knock off is there to further cripple opposing pokemon. Stealth Rock is there to give this team a way to set up entry hazards. Toxic is there to cripple the opposing pokemon and force them out.

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Gunk Shot

Lastly I chose Infernape as i noticed a lot of my pokemon needed a Fire resistant switch in and a way to deal with opposing steel and grass types as well as being very weak to Heatran. 1) I chose Infernape to deal with the teams issues against Steel and Grass types as well as Heatran as they resist a lot of the team. 2) Infernapes role is to be a fast, versatile physical sweeper with access to Iron Fist and a nice speed stat allowing it to outspeed many threats to the team. 3) Infernape holds Choice Scarf to allow it to outspeed foes. Close Combat is Infernapes main stab move which hits Steel types as well as providing coverage for Dark,Ice,Rock, and Normal types. Earthquake deals with the teams weakness to Fire types allowing Infernape to switch into a fire type attack and ohko them and once again hitting Steel types. Fire punch pairs nicely with Iron Fist and hits Grass types that set up on this team such as Ferrothorn, Tapu Bulu, ect. Gunk shot is there to suprise Fairy/Grass types and for the nice 30% poison chance if something else predicts this move.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell
- Taunt
- Wish

I realized my team needed a Special Wall as well as being in dire need of a cleric as most of the team lacked a way to recover. I chose Umbreon to fulfill this purpose as it has access to an amazing special defense stat and the moves Wish/Heal Bell. 1) Umbreon was chosen because my team lacked a Special Wall and ways to recover Umbreon provides them with both. 2) Umbreons role is to be a Special Wall and a Cleric for the team as well as being able to switch into Psychic, Ghost, and Dark type attacks aimed at other teammates. 3) Umbreon holds Leftovers to give it recovery and allow it to stay in when it needs to. Foul Play is Umbreons main stab attack that allows it to turn the foes attack stat against them this is especially useful when a foe such as Dragonite attempts to set up on Umbreon as its vulnerable to being set up on it also prevents Umbreon from being Taunt bait. Heal Bell deals with status inflicted on the team such as the ever common Toxic and Thunderwave. Taunt is there to prevent pokemon from setting up on Umbreon. Wish is to provide recovery to the rest of the team allowing them to pivot them in and out of danger while keeping them healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Edit: Reopened

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Hey Angel of Autumn! Welcome to Smogon - glad to see that you're looking for feedback on your team already.

Although you have some popular Pokemon on your team like Mega Latios and Ferrothorn, you have some very unviable ones, such as Umbreon and regular Scizor. Because of this, your team isn't performing to its full potential. I'll try to keep the style of your team the same when I make my suggestions.

===================

Let's start off with some specific threats to your team, which will help us analyze what exactly we need to change in order to improve it.

Steel-types, both offensive and defensive, are a bit troublesome for your team. Shift Gear Magearna can sweep your team quite easily if it has Fairium Z + Focus Blast, and Celesteela can Leech Seed spam and stall out your entire team. Choice Scarf Infernape can get worn down quite easily, so it isn't the most reliable answer against both of them.

No Ground-type on your team means Electric-types like Tapu Koko get to Volt Switch and Thunderbolt against your entire team pretty freely. Ferrothorn isn't the best answer either, as it's physically defensive.

Mega Latios isn't the most reliable answer to Ground-types like Scarf Landorus and Zygarde. U-turn does around half to Mega Latios and Landorus can pivot out to something that can threaten it, while Zygarde forces Mega Latios to Roost every time it clicks Thousand Arrows, or it can set up on Ferrothorn (especially if it's packing Substitute).

Your team's Steel-types don't resist Flying, so Tornadus-T gets to outspeed your entire team (bar Infernape, which Tornadus beats quite easily) and fire off Hurricanes or pivot out with U-turn. Late game, Tornadus can threaten to sweep with its Z-Move or even by just spamming Hurricane.

Psychic-types, especially Mega Alakazam, are very popular, so it's imperative that you have good counterplay to them. Mega Alakazam isn't the worse if you can keep Infernape alive to outspeed it and the rest of your team out of 2HKO range, but Tapu Lele OHKOes your entire team with some prior chip damage as it easily beats your two Steel-types.

===================

Now that we've identified some threats, let's move on to my suggestions.

>

As a defensive Steel-type, regular Scizor really holds no niche in OU and Heatran fits much better here. It alleviates the Magearna and Celesteela matchup for your team, provides a Flying resist, deals with opposing Mega Scizor much better, and just possesses amazing utility overall. I recommend making it Steelium Z to catch opposing Mega Alakazam and Gliscor off guard.

>

Now that you have a Fire-type in Heatran, I recommend replacing Scarf Infernape with Scarf Landorus-T. Scarf Lando can pivot better into physical attackers (such as Landorus-T and Zygarde) and gives your team an Electric- and Ground- type immunity in one slot. You also have Defog on it just in case you don't want hazards on your side since I removed Scizor from the team.

>

Umbreon also doesn't have a niche in OU, and replacing it with Clefable gives your team a sturdy defensive backbone in Clefable + Ferrothorn + Heatran. Clefable also acts as a reliable Stealth Rock setter, allowing Ferrothorn to run Spikes instead, and Clefable can heal Heatran and the rest of the team with Wish just like Umbreon could.

Standard EV spread
Clefable is a pretty decent physical wall, and I believe your team benefits more from making Ferrothorn specially defensive to better handle Pokemon like Ash-Greninja and Mega Alakazam, as they'd pose a threat to your team otherwise.

Standard moveset
Thunderbolt really isn't great on Mega Latios and you already have Heatran for the likes of Celesteela, so Ice Beam would help more to deal with Ground-types better. The IVs are also really weird and you don't need to run them.

Standard moveset
Scald is pretty useless on Azumarill, so I think you're better off just running the standard Choice Band set with some Speed investment to maximize Azumarill's breaking capabilities.

===================

(click me!)

There were three Pokemon replaced and two movesets changed, but the changes were made to make your team as good as possible. That's not to say it doesn't have its flaws, however.
is quite problematic, so make sure that you keep Ferrothorn at a healthy amount throughout the match.
also can still be quite annoying if you let your team take chip damage. Lastly,
with Toxic can be rather annoying to deal with, but at least your team can pressure it quite well if you play aggresively.

Good luck with the team, and let me know if you have any questions! :toast:

Thank you for your feedback as of now i dont have questions yet its kinda late just processing it trying to translate it into the game im playings terms xD.. as some of theses threats like celesteela are not in it and as ive said legends are difficult to get also z moves are not in the game i wanted to use this team but perhaps i can talk through this with some of the people i play with i know its strange its very difficult to teambuild in the game i play as were in a weird spot of between gen 7 and gen 6 kinda but i really wanted to turn to smogon to help me practice and teambuild so perhaps i could build in the harsher circumstance of a very strange meta All in All Thank you for the feedback i will continue to process it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)