Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP 252 ATK 4 SPDEF
Nature:Adamant
~ Play Rough
~ Iron Head
~ Sucker Punch
~ Protect

Ever since the mega evolution got huge power, I've thought this was one of the most amazing pokemon especially since it received fairy typing. This pretty much tanks anything Kangaskhan has to offer and retaliates back with a huge powered iron head/play rough. Intimidate before mega evolution serves to neuter some strong physical attackers and sucker punch wrecks Aegislash in every way possible. It is weak to one of the most common moves in VGC, earthquake, so protect is absolutely necessary to kill opposing earthquakers so Mawile can begin dishing out massive damage. Iron head devastates rock types such as Tyranitar.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SPA 252 SPE 4 HP
Nature: Timid
~ Thunderbolt
~ Hidden Power (Ice)
~ Overheat
~ Protect

One of the most underrated mega evolutions in my opinion, is manectric. It receives an absurd speed boost following the mega evolution and one of the best abilities in the game in the form of intimidate. As manectric is itself, a special attacker, opposing intimidates are useless against it. Thunderbolt is it's main STAB damage and HP Ice tears huge gaps in garchomps and salamences. Overheat takes care of pesky grass, steel, and bug types such as ferrothorn, scizor, trevenant, gourgeist etc. The one drawback to this set is the lack of volt switch and again, the ground weakness.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 ATK 252 SPE 4 HP
Nature:Adamant
~ Flare Blitz
~ Brave Bird
~ U Turn
~ Tailwind

And here comes one of the most generic pokemon from X/Y, talonflame. With the ability gale wings, brave bird almost always hits first and puts a serious dent in anything that doesn't resist it. I chose life orb on this set as talonflame is already a frail pokemon and anything will pretty much one shot it so it might as well dish out as much damage as it can before it dies. I preferred the life orb over the choice band as I did not want to get locked into a move.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 SPE 252 ATK 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
~ Dragon Claw
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Protect

This pokemon has always been a monster and will forever be a monster. With 102 base speed, it outspeeds the vast majority of pokemon including the common 100's such as charizard, kangaskhan, etc. Rough skin and rocky helmet serve as an extremely effective Mega-Kangaskhan killer as it will recieve about 50% of its own hp back after a fake out. Fairly standard set though. Rock slide ko's talonflames and charizards.

Rotom Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP 44 DEF 44 SPA 140 SPDEF 28 SPE
Nature: Calm
~ Hydro Pump
~ Thunderbolt
~ Will-o-Wisp
~ Light Screen

Perhaps one of the most commonly seen pokemon in VGC, rotom boasts good base stats, good movepool, and access to one of the best annoynace moves in the form of will-o-wisp. The constant chip damage and of course, -2 attack drop neuters physical attackers. Thunderbolt takes care of common water types such as Azumarill and Greninja and does decent neutral damage to most others. As the first three slots are basically required, the 4th was where I could improvise. I chose light screen on this set as I had many checks to physical attackers but almost none to special attackers. As for the particular ev spread, it was specifically ev'ed to survive certain attacks. Mainly, it was for a Solarbeam from Charizard Y.

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 140+ SpD Rotom-W: 134-158 (85.3 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Salamence @ Choice Specs
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SPA 252 SPE 4 HP
Nature: Timid
~ Draco Meteor
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Fire Blast
~ Hydro Pump

Seeing as my team was severly lacking in a strong special attacker with a diverse movepool, I decided to include Salamence. Again, intimidate is one of the best moves in the game and Now, I have it on three. Physical salamence is extremely hard to use with the VGC meta of intimidate and will-o-wisp spam so I went with a special attacking set. Draco meteor is for a strong, stabbed attack while fire blast and hydro pump are for coverage. Dragon pulse is for a 100% accuracy finisher as all 3 of the other moves have questional accuracy and aren't always reliable. I chose choice specs rather than choice scarf as I felt I needed the extra damage and the speed wasn't entirely necessary.

After looking back at the team, I see two main weaknesses in the form of Ground, and Ice. Ground deals super effective damage against both my megas and ice does 4x to both my dragons. Although I have tried to have many levitators/flyers on my team to alleviate the ground weakness, Ice is still an extremely painful move on this team.

Also, I've been trying to find room for a support Meowstic as safeguard would work wonders on protecting my team from status such as sleep spam and burn spam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)