VGC 18 Rotom-Heat

[OVERVIEW]
* While Rotom-H generally wouldn't be your first choice as a fire type, as many other Pokemon do the job overall much better, its typing and ability Levitate grant it a niche in some teams. However, it struggles to find a place in many others, as it faces stiff competition from the sea of Fire-types available, especially since Incineroar gained access to Intimidate.

* Rotom-H hard walls many popular Pokemon, such as Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Mega Charizard Y, and many, many more.

* Rotom-H's access to multiple support moves like Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave, as well as acceptable bulk with investment make supportive movesets viable, although this is not as effective as previous seasons due to the prevalence of Tapu Fini.

* Unfortunately, Rotom-H's only Fire-type STAB move is Overheat, which halves its Special Attack, forcing it to switch out in most situations.

* Rotom-H is also very predictable, as 9 times out of 10 it will be running some variation of Thunderbolt, Overheat, and Hidden Power Ice.

* While 50 / 107 / 107 bulk certainly isn't terrible, it's still very underwhelming without heavy investment. A strong neutral hit, such as Mega Kangaskhan's Return will almost always 2HKO Rotom-H. With bulk investment, however, Rotom-H's damage output drops like a brick.

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Overheat
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Will-O-Wisp / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Protect
item: Iapapa Berry / Electrium Z
ability: Levitate
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 108 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Overheat is an essential STAB move for Rotom-H, as it does not have any other Fire-type moves to choose from.

* Thunderbolt is the most reliable of Rotom-H's Electric-type STAB moves, as it has 100% accuracy and a decent Base Power.

* Hidden Power Ice is necessary to check Landorus-T and Mega Salamence.

* Will-O-Wisp is great to cripple physical attackers like Mega Kangaskhan.

* Protect is always useful in VGC, as it allows stalling through Trick Room and weather and making predictions.

* Iapapa Berry provides a one-time 50% boost in health. Alternatively, Electrium Z lets Rotom-H OHKO 180 HP / 148+ SpD Celesteela and chunk many Pokemon of a significant portion of their health.

* With 108 Special Attack EVs, Rotom-H OHKOes 252 HP Amoonguss and knocks Azumarill into a health range where it can't use Belly Drum after Sitrus Berry recovery.

* 12 Speed EVs lets Rotom-H outrun uninvested Rotom-W, and Landorus-T in tailwind.

* The bulk EVs let Rotom-H survive +1 Tyranitar's Rock Slide or Tapu Fini’s Muddy Water, along with preventing a 2HKO from Landorus-T's Rock Slide.

* Rotom-H is very flexible in regards to Speed EVs. Modify this spread to suit your team.

* Rotom-H should be used as a "pivot". Switch it in on resisted attacks and force the opponent to switch through Rotom's excellent typing.

* Grass-types such as Ferrothorn form a sturdy core with Rotom-H, as they deal with Rotom-H's only two weaknesses. In return, Rotom-H either walls or destroys many popular Fire-types that threaten Grass-types.

* Water-types such as Gyarados and Milotic are also great partners for Rotom-H, for they remove the two largest users of Rock Slide in the game, Landorus-T and Tyranitar, while Rotom-H can nuke Grass-types and remove Mega Charizard Y.

* If you are running Will-O-Wisp, you should not use Tapu Fini on your team, as it prevents burns. If you need a Tapu to override opposing Terrains, Tapu Lele would be your best choice, as Rotom-H can't make use of Tapu Koko's Electric Terrain well due to its low Speed.

Last edited:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone thinks a choice scarf rotom-h set would be worth including in my analysis. When I used it, I personally found it quite underwhelming. Being locked into one move really isn't pleasant on a Pokémon that basically relies on it's typing to be relevant. But that's just me, and I'm sure many other people have mastered the art of scarfed rotom-heat.

I feel Choice Scarf Rotom-Heat is a choice more suited to best-of-one enviroments, since it relies a lot on the suprise factor. However, even with that it is still crucially outsped by Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian without a Timid nature. I would just exclusively talk about Three Attack + Protect sets.

I feel Choice Scarf Rotom-Heat is a choice more suited to best-of-one enviroments, since it relies a lot on the suprise factor. However, even with that it is still crucially outsped by Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian without a Timid nature. I would just exclusively talk about Three Attack + Protect sets.
Thanks!

Bump? It's been a few weeks
I've personally had a lot of exams recently, but I'll be doing a round of checks this weekend if nobody picks this one up beforehand. Trying to catch a QC member on Discord is usually best if you're trying to get checks done faster, though.

I've personally had a lot of exams recently, but I'll be doing a round of checks this weekend if nobody picks this one up beforehand. Trying to catch a QC member on Discord is usually best if you're trying to get checks done faster, though.
Thank you! I understand with the exams, those were hell.

Overview
  • I'd like the Overview's opening to give a more frank evaluation of Rotom-H's viability. It's generally not your first pick, especially now with rival Fire-type Incineroar getting a buff. You're right to open with a comment about its typing and Leviate, because those are the main reasons to use it, but add that it can struggle to find an opening on teams regardless. It's generally better to tweak a team to include the tools Rotom-H brings elsewhere, with all the competition it faces in various roles. The Overview doesn't have to read like a list of pros and cons as long as it flows well :)
Set
  • Expert Belt is currently really low in usage. Bear in mind that Rotom-H walls Mega Salamence anyway, and that tackling Landorus-T is a risky proposition thanks to Rock Slide's damage and flinch chance. This is more what I'd expect:
Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry / Electrium Z​
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 108 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe​
Modest Nature​
- Thunderbolt​
- Overheat​
- Will-O-Wisp / Hidden Power Ice​
- Protect​
  • EVs mainly outrun uninvested Rotom-W, and Landorus-T in Tailwind, and survive Landorus-T's Rock Slide and +1 Tapu Fini's Muddy Water.
Offensive
  • 108+ SpA Rotom-H Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 180 HP / 148+ SpD Celesteela: 198-234 (101.5 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 108+ SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Amoonguss: 222-264 (100.4 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 108+ SpA Rotom-H Thunderbolt vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 156-186 (75.7 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(Knocks Azumarill into range where Belly Drum won't be possible after Sitrus Berry recovery)​

Defensive
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Muddy Water vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Rotom-H: 134-158 (85.3 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
(Tapu Fini don't always invest max SpA, so a 15/16 chance to survive is fine)​
  • 252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Rotom-H: 68-80 (43.3 - 50.9%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO
  • +1 252 Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Rotom-H: 132-156 (84 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Set Details
  • Despite the bulkier spread above, I'd still like to make it clear that Rotom-H is relatively flexible with regards to Speed EVs. Anywhere between 20 - 52 EVs is just Speed creep for foes like Tapu Fini. 132 - 188 is generally the most common range for outpacing specific threats, like you mentioned.
  • Add examples when you mention Water-types. Pokemon such as Milotic and Gyarados. Not Tapu Fini because of negative Will-O-Wisp synergy.
  • Speaking of which, Tapu Lele is probably the best choice if you need a means to remove Misty Terrain. Rotom-H doesn't benefit from Grassy Terrain's recovery, and it shares an Electric typing with Tapu Koko. Tapu Lele also appreciates Rotom-H's ability to remove Steel-types.

Other than the change in set, which has a bit of a knock-on effect, this is pretty good as-is. Post when done and I can hopefully stamp it!

Overview
  • I'd like the Overview's opening to give a more frank evaluation of Rotom-H's viability. It's generally not your first pick, especially now with rival Fire-type Incineroar getting a buff. You're right to open with a comment about its typing and Leviate, because those are the main reasons to use it, but add that it can struggle to find an opening on teams regardless. It's generally better to tweak a team to include the tools Rotom-H brings elsewhere, with all the competition it faces in various roles. The Overview doesn't have to read like a list of pros and cons as long as it flows well :)
Set
  • Expert Belt is currently really low in usage. Bear in mind that Rotom-H walls Mega Salamence anyway, and that tackling Landorus-T is a risky proposition thanks to Rock Slide's damage and flinch chance. This is more what I'd expect:
Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry / Electrium Z​
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 108 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe​
Modest Nature​
- Thunderbolt​
- Overheat​
- Will-O-Wisp / Hidden Power Ice​
- Protect​

• EVs mainly outrun uninvested Rotom-W, and Landorus-T in Tailwind, and survive Landorus-T's Rock Slide and +1 Tapu Fini's Muddy Water.
Offensive
  • 108+ SpA Rotom-H Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 180 HP / 148+ SpD Celesteela: 198-234 (101.5 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 108+ SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Amoonguss: 222-264 (100.4 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 108+ SpA Rotom-H Thunderbolt vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 156-186 (75.7 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(Knocks Azumarill into range where Belly Drum won't be possible after Sitrus Berry recovery)​

Defensive
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Muddy Water vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Rotom-H: 134-158 (85.3 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
(Tapu Fini don't always invest max SpA, so a 15/16 chance to survive is fine)​

• 252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Rotom-H: 68-80 (43.3 - 50.9%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO
  • +1 252 Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Rotom-H: 132-156 (84 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Set Details
  • Despite the bulkier spread above, I'd still like to make it clear that Rotom-H is relatively flexible with regards to Speed EVs. Anywhere between 20 - 52 EVs is just Speed creep for foes like Tapu Fini. 132 - 188 is generally the most common range for outpacing specific threats, like you mentioned.
  • Add examples when you mention Water-types. Pokemon such as Milotic and Gyarados. Not Tapu Fini because of negative Will-O-Wisp synergy.
  • Speaking of which, Tapu Lele is probably the best choice if you need a means to remove Misty Terrain. Rotom-H doesn't benefit from Grassy Terrain's recovery, and it shares an Electric typing with Tapu Koko. Tapu Lele also appreciates Rotom-H's ability to remove Steel-types.

Other than the change in set, which has a bit of a knock-on effect, this is pretty good as-is. Post when done and I can hopefully stamp it!
When you say Tapu Koko shares an electric typing with Rotom-H, wouldn't this be not that big of a deal because of levitate? They share no weaknesses. On top of that, electric terrain could be very useful. Otherwise, changes implemented.Carbonific

Last edited:
Electric Terrain doesn't affect airborne Pokemon.

• Change "Incineroar's buff" to "Incineroar gained access to Intimidate". You want to be clear for newer players or those reading this analysis in a few months time when it isn't fresh on the mind.
  • (As a side note I almost feel like the Overview is too negative now lol. But I agree with all the points you've made, so I won't request any changes).
  • Move the last sentence about Speed EVs to just below the point about "bulk EVs", so the EV stuff is all together.

When done:

2/2 QC

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
please capitalize your words by yourself

GP 1/2
add
remove comment

[OVERVIEW]
* While Rotom-H generally wouldn't be your first choice as a Fire-type, as many other Pokemon do the job overall much better, it's its typing and ability in Levitate grant it a niche in some teams. However, it struggles to find a place in many others, as it faces stiff competition from the sea of Fire-types available, especially since Incineroar gained access to Intimidate.
* Rotom-H hard walls many popular Pokemon, such as Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Mega Charizard Y, and many, many more.
* Rotom-H's access to multiple support moves like Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave, as well as acceptable bulk with investment, make supportive movesets viable, although this is not as effective as in previous seasons due to the prevalence of Tapu Fini.
* Unfortunately Unfortuneately, Rotom-H's only Fire-type STAB move is Overheat, which halves it's its Special Attack, forcing it leaving it forced to switch out in most situations.
* Rotom-H is also very predictable, as 9 times out of 10 it will be running some variation of on Thunderbolt, Overheat, and Hidden Power Ice.
* While 50 / 107 / 107 bulk certainly isn't terrible, it's still very underwhelming without heavy investment. A strong neutral hit, such as Mega Kangaskhan's Return, will almost always 2HKO Rotom-H. With bulk investment, however, Rotom-H's damage output drops like a brick.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Overheat is an essential STAB move for Rotom-H, as it does not have any other Fire-type moves to choose from.
* Thunderbolt is the most reliable of Rotom-H's Electric-type STAB moves, as it has 100% accuracy and a decent Base Power.
* Protect is always useful in VGC, as it allows stalling through Trick Room and weather, (remove comma) and making predictions.
* Iapapa Berry allows for a significant bulk increase, as it provides a one-time 50% boost in health. Alternatively, Electrium Z lets Rotom-H can OHKO 180 HP / 148+ SpD Celesteela, (remove comma) and chunk many Pokemon of a significant portion of their health.
* With 108 Special Attack EVs, Rotom-H OHKOes 252 HP Amoonguss, (remove comma) and knocks Azumarill into a health range where it can't use Belly Drum after Sitrus Berry recovery.
* 12 Speed spe EVs let Rotom-H outrun outruns uninvested Rotom-W, (is Tailwind also needed to outspeed Rotom-W? if yes, remove that comma) and Landorus-T in Tailwind.
* The bulk EVs make let Rotom-H survive +1 Tyranitar's Rock Slide or +1 Tapu Fini's Muddy Water, along with preventing prevents a 2HKO from Landorus-T's Rock Slide, and makes it tank +1 Tapu Fini's muddy water.
* Rotom-H is very flexible in regards to Speed EVs. Modify this spread to suit your team.
* Rotom-H should be used as a "pivot". Switch it in on resisted attacks, (remove comma) and force the opponent to switch through Rotom's excellent typing.
* Grass-types such as Ferrothorn form a sturdy core with Rotom-H, as they deal with Rotom-H's only two weaknesses. In return, Rotom-H either walls or destroys many popular Fire-types that which threaten Grass-types.
* Water-types such as Gyarados or and Milotic are also great partners for Rotom-H, for they remove the two largest users of Rock Slide in the game, Landorus-T and Tyranitar, while Rotom-H can nuke Grass-types and remove Mega Charizard Y.
* If you are running Will-O-Wisp, you should not use Tapu Fini on your team, as it prevents burns. If you need a Tapu to override opposing Terrains, Tapu Lele would be your best choice, as Rotom-H can't make use of abuse Tapu Koko's Electric Terrain well due to it's its low Speed.

Last edited:
please capitalize your words by yourself

GP 1/2
add
remove comment

[OVERVIEW]
* While Rotom-H generally wouldn't be your first choice as a Fire-type, as many other Pokemon do the job overall much better, it's its typing and ability in Levitate grant it a niche in some teams. However, it struggles to find a place in many others, as it faces stiff competition from the sea of Fire-types available, especially since Incineroar gained access to Intimidate.
* Rotom-H's access to multiple support moves like Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave, as well as acceptable bulk with investment, make supportive movesets viable, although this is not as effective as in previous seasons due to the prevalence of Tapu Fini.
* Unfortunately Unfortuneately, Rotom-H's only Fire-type STAB move is Overheat, which halves it's its Special Attack, forcing it leaving it forced to switch out in most situations.
* Rotom-H is also very predictable, as 9 times out of 10 it will be running some variation of on Thunderbolt, Overheat, and Hidden Power Ice.
* While 50 / 107 / 107 bulk certainly isn't terrible, it's still very underwhelming without heavy investment. A strong neutral hit, such as Mega Kangaskhan's Return, will almost always 2HKO Rotom-H. With bulk investment, however, Rotom-H's damage output drops like a brick.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Protect is always useful in VGC, as it allows stalling through Trick Room and weather, (remove comma) and making predictions.
* Iapapa Berry allows for a significant bulk increase, as it provides a one-time 50% boost in health. Alternatively, Electrium Z lets Rotom-H can OHKO 180 HP / 148+ SpD Celesteela, (remove comma) and chunk many Pokemon of a significant portion of their health.
* With 108 Special Attack EVs, Rotom-H OHKOes 252 HP Amoonguss, (remove comma) and knocks Azumarill into a health range where it can't use Belly Drum after Sitrus Berry recovery.
* 12 Speed spe EVs let Rotom-H outrun outruns uninvested Rotom-W, (is Tailwind also needed to outspeed Rotom-W? if yes, remove that comma) and Landorus-T in Tailwind.
* The bulk EVs make let Rotom-H survive +1 Tyranitar's Rock Slide or +1 Tapu Fini's Muddy Water, along with preventing prevents a 2HKO from Landorus-T's Rock Slide, and makes it tank +1 Tapu Fini's muddy water.
* Rotom-H should be used as a "pivot". Switch it in on resisted attacks, (remove comma) and force the opponent to switch through Rotom's excellent typing.
* Grass-types such as Ferrothorn form a sturdy core with Rotom-H, as they deal with Rotom-H's only two weaknesses. In return, Rotom-H either walls or destroys many popular Fire-types that which threaten Grass-types.
* Water-types such as Gyarados or and Milotic are also great partners for Rotom-H, for they remove the two largest users of Rock Slide in the game, Landorus-T and Tyranitar, while Rotom-H can nuke Grass-types and remove Mega Charizard Y.
* If you are running Will-O-Wisp, you should not use Tapu Fini on your team, as it prevents burns. If you need a Tapu to override opposing Terrains, Tapu Lele would be your best choice, as Rotom-H can't make use of abuse Tapu Koko's Electric Terrain well due to it's its low Speed.
Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)