Project RU Creative/Underrated Sets V2

Yeah, I honestly have no idea why you would use this instead of other Fighting-types in the tier. You say it beats HO, but that team style isn't particularly great in this tier to begin with. Even if it was, the fact that this is walled by pretty much every common physically-defensive tank / wall in the tier makes it a pretty sub-optimal choice. Also, did I miss something? When did doing 50% to frail offensive Pokemon become an accomplishment? Overall, RU has a plethora of ridiculously strong Fighting-types, so offensive Hitmontop really does not have a niche in this tier; this is mainly because it is easily walled and dismantled by a great number of threats.
Hitmontop's niche is as revenge killer with great coverage. With Fake out+priorty move it can lure in threats such Melotta, Delphox and Diance and KO them easily.. There are much more powerful fighting types in RU, but this set isn't about raw power. Hitmontop's combination of priorty moves+technician. No other fighting type in the tier can accomplish what this set does. The other fighting types lack the ability to revenge the sheer number of threats that Hitmontop can.

Hitmontop's niche is as revenge killer with great coverage. With Fake out+priorty move it can lure in threats such Melotta, Delphox and Diance and KO them easily.. There are much more powerful fighting types in RU, but this set isn't about raw power. Hitmontop's combination of priorty moves+technician. No other fighting type in the tier can accomplish what this set does. The other fighting types lack the ability to revenge the sheer number of threats that Hitmontop can.
If I wanted a revenge killer, I wouldn't use a Hitmontop, though. For one, you're not luring anything. If you play anyone remotely competent and they see that your Hitmontop isn't Intimidate, they're going to know that you have Technician and will just switch out to one of the billion tanks / walls that beats Hitmontop. I would much rather just use a Choice Scarf Medicham or Hitmonlee, two Pokemon that have the destructive power to not really need their coverage moves as much. Hitmontop is too easily walled by too many Pokemon to be considered effective in this tier compared to other Fighting-types; Hitmonlee's access to Knock Off is also a major selling point it has over Hitmontop, as it can cripple many switch-ins. Hitmontop is over-reliant on coverage moves that simply are not that strong if they are not super effective, and this makes it ridiculously easy to switch into, especially because it has to rely on Sucker Punch to KO two of the Pokemon you mentioned.

252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Hitmontop Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Diancie: 213-255 (70 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It literally cannot even KO a Diancie with a 4x effective move. There is no point relying on weak priority moves with coverage when I can use Choice Scarf Pokemon such as Medicham and Hitmonlee that hit ridiculously hard. The last part of your statement isn't even accurate because Hitmontop is too weak to beat any offensive threat it cannot hit super effectively; Hitmonlee and Medicham can definitely revenge kill a great deal more threats than Hitmontop can, especially if the person you are playing possesses half a brain and is able to make the connection that you are using a Technician Hitmontop based on its lack of Intimidate.

Last edited:
Speedy Gonzalez

Hitmontop (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

This thing is a straight up beast. I will post more about this later today. It seriously can do at least 50% to almost any offensive pokemon and wrecks HO. It is walled by the normal walls, but will get better if Alomola gets banned. You can add more speed to beat out other priority users like Fletchinder.
Tsunami and Azelfi have already recommended you use something else in place of hitmontop. While this hitmontop set may not be ~bad~ it certainly pales in comparison to the many other powerful fighting types in RU. Here's a mon + set that does some similar things, but overall much more effective. This also presents a creative/underrated set:

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch / Poison Jab / Stone Edge / Blaze Kick
- Sucker Punch / Poison Jab / Stone Edge / Blaze Kick

This set focuses on breaking the opponents team and not worrying about the rapid spin moveslot, utilizing the extra flexibility to run Sucker Punch (generally unexpected priority that is stronger than STAB mach punch and can ko mons that normally can tank a mach punch), or an extra coverage move to break, or both. PJab hits fairies like aromatisse and granbull, and edge hits fat flying types like scyther, golbat, pelliper, and togetic, while bypassing colbur on mons like xatu or delphox. Blaze kick is another interesting and extremely uncommon option that allows hitmonlee to nail defensive venusaur and gourgiest, 2hko'ing them on the switch (best with rocks or prior chip damage) and breaking through otherwise very sturdy counters. It also has the extra perk of hitting protect regi for ~50% without worrying about hjk recoil, and ohkos escavalier.

To address how this is better than the hitmontop set posted. Having 4 priority moves and no way to actually deal strong damage to anything with a little bulk and longevity means that hitmontop has no way to force out mons that can stomach its hits repeatedly without worry, and thus won't really be effective. This hitmonlee instead uses STAB Reckless LO HJK to deal massive damage to defensive mons, and knock off for strong coverage for fighting resists like ghost, psychic, or poison types, while also removing items, like the common leftovers or black sludge. Furthermore, its LO Sucker punch is stronger than every priority move hitmontop has, and hitmonlee can still choose to maintain a secondary coverage move in mach punch, maintaining the best priority moves available to hitmonlee (and hitmontop):

252 Atk Life Orb Technician Hitmontop Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dugtrio: 177-211 (83.8 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Hitmontop Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dugtrio: 157-186 (74.4 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Hitmonlee Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dugtrio: 153-181 (72.5 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Hitmonlee Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dugtrio: 203-239 (96.2 - 113.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

ayte, so my last stocks in the ru open have passed (credits to all the folks that'd trust me to build some stuff for them, flash in the pan that i am), so i figure there's little harm in sharing a few sets that i pushed for it.

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 36 SpA /224 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Toxic

bell diancie isn't necessarily bad, but i would consider this particular variant to be of equal significance in this particular metagame. the most significant implication here is, of course, vs.braviary, as you're ensuring moonblast breaks the sub (at least, it does in the case of the 'standard' spread) to favor your ability to cripple via toxic. however, i think there's a lot diancie gains in terms of 'activity' as a defensive facet by splurging for toxic; plenty of bulky type-neutrals with recovery (slowking, jellicent, alomomola, torterra, etc.) capitalize on diancie in such a way that it can find itself becoming more a liability than anything, and with this you can even set up dudes like shuca drap, gallade, etc.

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick

this really is simplicity itself, but there's so much value in it. basically, what i would consider to be a 'good' sweeper in this metagame is a pokemon that fills most, if not all, of the following parameters:
  • status-resistant
  • capable of beating or realistically outlasting a steel / water / fight resist defensive core (ie.regimola balances)
  • faster than / resilient to dugtrio and jolly flygon
  • solid on handle on conventional pursuit users
the following holds very trve of dudes like virizion (checks all the boxes sans the dugtrio bit), and is really something you can apply wherever. this particular scrafty set covers pretty much all the bases here, and i think the performance of this variation in the open reflects that. i didn't like shed skin scrafty until recently, but that was due to the inconsistency with which it performed (as previous executions of that nature saw it as more a 33% bailout opp than anything), something the combination of leftovers and rest buffers. this variation pulls a lot from scrafty's natural bulk, allowing it to function as a mid-game scald absorber and knock platform, while keeping up the ability to endgame pretty handily.

Barbaracle @ White Herb / Lum Berry
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Substitute / Cross Chop
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge

falls in similarly to the bit about scrafty, i was initially drawn to barb when i noted that +2 razor shell does 100% min to max hp flygon. i would say that barbaracle's combination of natural bulk (which allows it to avoid having its sub broken by mola's attacks w/o investment, soft-check fliers for balance, usually boost well enough into neutral hits, etc.), speed to put it both over most scarfers after a boost and most neutral dudes beforehand, and decent two-move coverage gives it a niche here, tho omastar does fit a similar mold. sub + white herb is i think a little nicer for buffering it v.offense better while retaining decent status-resilience, but lum does the same while allowing for the use of chop to directly ohko registeel and virizion after the boost.

Absol @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Megahorn / Play Rough
- Sucker Punch / Play Rough

absol in general is underrated i would say (sd lum is fantastic currently), but this is actually quite cool. in terms of pursuit users, this one probably has the highest base-line in terms of strength and speed, being slightly stronger than lo sneasel and and way stronger than drapion. clearly both have significant niches that prevent absol from being distinctly superior, but on a more spike-centric team for instance (where you'd likely already have a tspike absorber, not necessarily want to splurge for hazard removal, and can gain more value from a stronger, non-boosting cleaner) this set can wring a lot of value out. i liked megahorn both for circumventing colbur psychics and still keeping a decent tool for rk'ing sd drap and virizion (within reason, ofc), and having the back-up priority can find itself getting way more value than you'd give credit initially, but the option to consistently target fighters is there, especially if the scrafty set start popping up more frequently.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
After a, sadly, frustrated reqs run I will obviously not get the requirements to vote on the suspect test but I had a good time laddering surprisingly enough (except for the last couple of games where everything went to shit but it is ok, thats the game) but yeah, lets share some stuff.

Underrated

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 228 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature

IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Refresh
- Scald
- Toxic

I know a couple of individuals that have been running this blastoise variant and it certainly puts in work. The main reason people use phys def blastoise is to be a good sneasel sponge, which it actually is, and being a decent fletchinder and aerodactyl check that isnt so vulnerable to status. I think the first can be solved with other type of Pokemon like Diancie and stuff like Gurdurr which is still viable and it isnt exactly a good flying type response anyways, especially with Fletchinder on decline and Braviary getting the spotlight. With the SpDef investment Blastoise can safely switch into stuff like Mega Camerupt, which is incredible especially when Flygon isnt an actual reason and having better odds against the likes of Delphox which is gaining lots of popularity lately, Houndoom even. Dont get me wrong, Phys Def Blastoise is still an excellent variant but this one should definitely see more usage.

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Superpower

There is no particulary interesting about this, is just the same goddamn set you will see when you ever face a Malamar, but what if I tell you this thing got so uncommon it is basically underrated? Conspiracies!! X-Files.mp3 For real tho, this thing is as good as ever, and even though it lost easily one of its best partners on Mega Steelix, it is still as effective as ever destroying formulaic balance cores (regimolasaur, you know it) and because its checks havent picking up the expected traction (except for Mega Dino, which in any case it is still rare) so yeah. Of course, it is a more niche pick but if you pair with something like Spikes it is really good. So yeah, use it but I definitely see it dropping in usage drastically if Alomomola leaves cause the way its checks HAVE to pick up some traction.

Delphox @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Psychic
- Fire Blast

On the adventure of finding Delphox sets that arent duggy bait cause I hate that Pokemon with a passion that I could scream right now, this set has certainly been the most effective at that. But thankfully, it does more than just dodging the trap! Ability to setup on a lot of balance staples (Mola running Scald, Defensive Venusaur, etc) and being faster than Flygon is a blessing that makes this set really effective on its own. Houndoom declining in usage drastically and Diancie being an easy Pokemon to wear down just make this set even better and excellent at balance breaking with just its STABs alone. Really cool set. Another little thing is that it is running Leftovers instead of something like Salac Berry. From my experience, this set really appreciate the extra longevity leftovers provides instead of becoming a late game win condition, it can break stuff for something in the back.

Creative AF

Houndoom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest / Mild Nature
- Flamethrower/Pursuit
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

Speaking of random dark types with a scarf, lol. This set is actually surprisingly good! Before anyone jumps on my neck for using pursuit doom (LOL, I use what I want!) it is more a filler that you will never use or use it 2 times on 20 games, the dog relies on surprise factor and lol, the amount of stuff it can catch off-guard it is really cool. The real tech here is the use of Unnerve, shoutouts to Take Azelfie for the idea Ive been honestly trying on my own with really decent results, nobody eating colbur berries around here.

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rucurrent-431343274

Baits the Flygon in, then allows for Banded Rhyperior to easily win the match from there.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

Verdant Blade (Virizion) @ Coba Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge / Zen Headbutt

Everyone should know about this set even if it's not common at all. It basically lures in Dugtrio which is really neat for defensive cores like Garbodor + Registeel. This can be kind of awkward to fit in but basically if your relying on a core without Wish support that weak to Dugtrio, this is a pretty good lure I'm not gonna lie. I would say it's kind of hard to fit in stall just because Virizion can be outdone by some other Pokemon but this set is pretty cool on semi stall. To lure in Dugtrio all you have to do is is threaten a Pokemon with AD or revenge kill something and the opponent is almost grantees to being out Dugtrio if they are smart and have Aerial Ace. Just be careful around Toxic as it can weaken you to the point that Dugtrio can KO you even with Coba Berry.

252 Atk Life Orb Dugtrio Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Coba Berry Virizion: 161-192 (49.8 - 59.4%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
(161, 164, 166, 169, 169, 172, 174, 177, 177, 179, 182, 185, 185, 187, 190, 192)

I never have to use this shit again lol

Verdant Blade (Virizion) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge / Zen Headbutt / Substitute

I could have just slashed this on the above set but it wouldn't make sense since you use Yache on more offensive oriented teams. Instead of being Dugtrio weak your team is more Sneasel weak. For example your team may rely core stuff like Braviary and Slowking which are of course weak to its STABs. You kind of do the same thing and set up Virizion early to being in Sneasel or you act like a dumb player and bring it in on Sneasel after being killed (ladder players still fall for this but I wouldn't recommend this in the tournaments since they will have a lot likelier chance of catching it.) I also,like Sub on this set since it offensive teams like to pressure Mola and such and you risk the burn / toxic so that's my thoughts on it.
252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Yache Berry Virizion: 191-226 (59.1 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(191, 192, 195, 199, 200, 203, 204, 207, 208, 212, 214, 216, 218, 220, 222, 226)

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Hoopa @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Magician
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock/Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

This is easily my favorite Hoopa set and what I believe is the best set at the moment tbh. Obviously, Substitute is an extremely powerful stallbreaking tool, letting you sub on Alomomola and Registeel without having to deal with annoying status ailments and also avoiding being pursuit trapped after killing them. Against more offensive teams, Substitute allows Hoopa to effectively spinblock Blastoise since you come in on the predicted spin, and Scald fails to break the sub, allowing you to potentially get 2 kills vs almost any offensive team, which is super nice. Sub can also come in handy with a myriad of other situations, such as easing Sucker Punch mindgames with Spiritomb and predicting a switch after you get in against defensive mons like Uxie and such. If you wish to fare better against stall and be a true stallbreaker, you can run a nasty plot set with Leftovers and absolutely obliterate standard stall with +2 Shadow Ball/Focus Blast, but I personally prefer the more immediate power provided by Life Orb coupled with the ability to OHKO key threats like Virizion with Psyshock. This is a really fun set to use, and if you wish to use some sort of stallbreaker, then I highly recommend that you use this set, since it can absolutely ravage bulkier teams. Obviously, the next phase of the suspect test will be a lot more offensive, since people are gonna be spamming like Sneasel HO with mola gone, so you should try to use this set in settings where Mola is allowed, as that is where this set does best. Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

PS: I've used this set a ton and have seen tons of games where it puts in work, but I don't have any saved atm sadly :[

Pepeduce

PepeDuce, le seul, l'unique ! #SGZ
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion

Aggron @ Stone Plate
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Hone Claws/Heavy Slam
- Earthquake/Low Kick
- Ice Punch

Hi, it's my first post here. I would share this set with you.
Since the monster Tyrantrum left, strong Rock Resist is not something you have to think anymore in your teambuilding. That's why Aggron still get a strong potential in this metagame to break some blalance cores despite the threat Dugtrio. (NB: of course Dug is not a switch in
252+ Atk Stone Plate Aggron Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dugtrio: 246-291 (116.5 - 137.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO)
First, this set allows to punish the protect cores mainly against Aromatisse. You can easily set up with Hone Claws on the protect (because normally everybody check your move to get momentum) or trap a Def Flygon thanks to Ice Punch the tour after Protect, on the switch. Hone Claws is useful against Braviary Sub BU while Choice Band Aggron can lose against. (yeah Head Smash misses a lot and have only 8 pp).
A Head Smash boosted by Stone Plate can easily lure the Banded set and still 2HKO bulky Water as Mola. (
252+ Atk Stone Plate Aggron Head Smash vs. 120 HP / 136+ Def Alomomola: 268-316 (53.4 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery).
Low Kick in replacement of EQ to deal more damage to Regi and Rhyperior.

Unfortunately, I don't have some interesting replays showing this set well.

Medicham @ Life Orb
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meditate
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Medicham can OHKO almost the entire tier with it's insane attack High Jump Kick and it's great ability Pure Power. This set allows Medicham to kill most of it's counters except for a very few. It should always be on a team that has volt-turn support so that Medicham can switch in safely and threaten the opposing Pokemon. It can setup pretty easily because it scares out so many Pokemon and once it has +1 attack nothing takes two High Jump Kicks unless it's imune. It should also be on a team that can deal well with Medicham's counters such as Spiritomb or other bulky Psychic-types. Bullet Punch is a good option since it gives you some priority and lets you kill weakened Pokemon so that your sweep is not hindered by faster Pokemon. But there are also other options if you have enough speed control on your team, for example Thunder Punch to OHKO bulky Water-types at +1 after rocks. Drain Punch is an option, too so you stay alive longer and don't have to worry about priority that much. What do you think about this set?

Pepeduce

PepeDuce, le seul, l'unique ! #SGZ
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Baton Pass on this set seems pretty good also instead of Bullet Punch.
You can setup easily on the switch because Medicham forces the switch as you said, and Baton Pass to a thing like Scrafty which doesn't care about status and can setup on spiritomb and ghost type in general.
A item like Fist Plate permits to lure a choice set.
However things like Granbull+Mola can be very annoying against this set.

Medicham @ Fist Plate
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Baton Pass
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Sleep Powder
- Endeavor

This set isn't so much creative as it is underrated; I obviously did not come up with this set. However, I've been using it a lot on my semi-joke Linoone team and it is very effective. What makes Vivillon unique as a Sleep-user is its ability to completely destroy Grass-types, namely Venusaur; with the help of a Focus Sash, Vivillon is almost guaranteed to put one of the opposition's Pokemon to sleep every battle (unless they have a Pokemon such as Escavalier or Scarf Rotom-C). This alone allows it to carry its own weight in most battles; being able to set up Quiver Dances on sleeping foes simply adds to its utility. The analysis for Vivillon recommends Energy Ball in the last slot; however, in this metagame, Endeavor is ridiculously more useful. It allows Vivillon to severely cripple would-be counters such as Registeel, allowing Vivillon's teammates to sweep more effectively. Energy Ball's coverage is nice, but the utility Endeavor provides cannot be understated. This set can be a major annoyance for many teams, as Endeavor + Sleep Powder is a deadly combination, especially when you have to try to worry about boosted Hurricanes as well. Vivillon obviously has its flaws, but this set allows it to outperform its B-viability ranking in many matchups.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Magneton @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Water / Grass

You click Flash Cannon on Alomomola as they protect then you click Thunderbolt after they protect

Twilight Princess (Altaria) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Flamethrower

I'm in no way saying this Pokemon is amazing or anything, but it can fill a useful niche on certain builds. Altaria is useful for defeating common threats to RegiMola builds such as Torterra and Jellicent. Altaria naturally reaches 196 Speed without investment, putting it above basically any viable Jellicent spread; you can always Speed creep more anyway. Altaria's access to Heal Bell is what sets it apart from Pokemon such as Golbat; Natural Cure also allows it to shrug off Scald burns from Jellicent and Alomomola. Almost every other viable Heal Bell Pokemon loses to Jellicent and/or Torterra, making Altaria useful for role compression. It can also check other threats to RegiMola such as SD + Rest Escavalier and Zen Heabutt Virizion (it does live a +2 Stone Edge if SR is not up, so you can get off a Toxic if need be). A Defogger or Rapid Spinner is extremely helpful as a partner, as ridding the field of Stealth Rock allows Altaria to function much more effectively; it can also counter Pokemon such a Hitmonlee if Stealth Rock isn't on the field. Toxic allows Altaria to cripple a great deal of the tier, while Flamethrower allows it to hit Escavalier, Torterra, Venusaur, and the like. Altaria also learns Moonblast, which can be used to counter Scrafty if need be. Altaria has its flaws, but it can definitely be useful on certain builds, as can be seen in the following replay:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ru-207791

Here, Altaria allows me to not care about the presence of Jellicent on the opposing team, and successfully Heal Bells on Uxie. It also manages to land a Flamethrower on Magneton, which thought it could come in for free after I revealed Toxic.

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
upload_2016-11-2_17-56-2.png

Magmortar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Earthquake / Psychic

RegiMola breakers are pretty cool in this meta, and Magmortar fills a specific niche as being a RegiMola breaker due to it's unique coverage, while also acting as a Sleep Powder switch-in due to it's ability, Vital Spirit. It's also somewhat bulky, letting it be a nice soft check to offensive Venusaur on offensive builds. As said before, it's coverage is pretty unique, with Thunderbolt letting it 2HKO Mola and other bulky Waters, and Earthquake letting it chip down Diancies and also hit Fire-types like Emboar super-effectively. Psychic is also an option to OHKO most Emboar variants, but EQ is a lot better for coverage imo. HP Ice is mainly for Flygon switch-in, OHKOing offensive variants and having a good chance to OHKO the defensive version. Magmortar isn't a great Pokémon, however, as it's mostly outclassed by other Fire-types, mainly Emboar and Delphox, who have a secondary STAB and, in Delphox's case, boasts much higher Speed. But Magmortar fills a decent niche in being a mixed wallbreaker that is also immune to Sleep moves, which is pretty nice on certain builds imo.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

Druddigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Glare
- Protect
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Punch

Druddigon on its own is a pretty strange mon with a cool set of resistances that it finds a hard time using. But I have been using this on a semi-stall team with TSpikes + Rotom + Medicham and it works wonders. If you have TSpikes up it is so good at racking up damage over time with a combination of TSpikes, potential SR, and Rough Skin. Leftovers should be used over Rocky Helmet in this scenario since it helps to keep Druddigon alive longer. Why I think it should be primarily used for Toxic Spike based teams I actually think Protect might be a good filler even in other archetypes since it has tendency to bring in wallbreakers which you can then scout for and switch appropriately. Although justifying this over Stealth Rock should really only ever be considered when you already have a Stealth Rock capable mon that isn't going with a set that can't afford to run it i.e. Curse Registeel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)