Ubers Scizor

QC: Minority / Nayrz / Dominatio
GP: GatoDelFuego

[OVERVIEW]

* Mega Scizor is a bulky pivot with a phenomenal defensive typing that enables it to check prominent threats such as Xerneas and Deoxys-A.
* U-turn lets it pivot out of Primal Groudon, a common Mega Scizor switch-in, to bring in checks such as Primal Kyogre and Dugtrio.
* Mega Scizor's one of the few Xerneas checks in the Ubers metagame with reliable recovery.
* Technician-boosted Bullet Punch can 2HKO most Xerneas sets and when coupled with Swords Dance, it can 2HKO boosted Z-Geomancy Xerneas.
* It can come in on certain support Arceus formes such as Arceus-Fairy, Arceus-Dragon, and mono-Ice Beam Arceus-Water as well as other support Pokemon such as Lugia, Magearna, Klefki, and Blissey.
* Scizor is somewhat passive due to a dual STAB combination that is resisted by a plethora of Pokemon in the Ubers metagame.
* It has a nasty 4x Fire weakness that can be exploited by Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh as well as Pokemon that run Fire coverage such as Dialga and Solgaleo.
* Scizor is set up fodder to many of the relevant setup sweepers in the tier, such as Mega Salamence, Swords Dance Arceus-Ground, and Swords Dance Arceus-Ghost, which don't care at all about Mega Scizor due to their high bulk and resilience to Mega Scizor's attacks.

[SET]
name: Bulky Pivot
move 1: Bullet Punch
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Roost
move 4: Toxic / Swords Dance
item: Scizorite
ability: Light Metal
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

* Bullet Punch allows Mega Scizor to revenge kill weakened targets such as, but not limited to, Mega Gengar, Tapu Koko, Rayquaza, Pheromosa, and Darkrai as well as doing a minimum of 51% to standard Xerneas and OHKOing Deoxys-A.
* U-turn is a requirement on this set. Given that Scizor attracts most of the Fire- and Steel-types in the tier, using U-turn on the turn they switch in to gain momentum is beneficial for Scizor's team.
* Roost keeps Mega Scizor healthy throughout the match.
* Toxic allows Mega Scizor to punish incoming checks like Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, and support Arceus formes. Swords Dance lets it keep up with Z-Geomancy Xerneas when it gains +1 Defense.

Set Details
========

* 128 Atk with a Brave nature enables Mega Scizor to 2HKO standard Geomancy Xerneas and 2HKO Mega Gengar. Brave and 0 Speed IVs are chosen over Adamant to make Mega Scizor as slow as possible so it can be guaranteed to go last while using U-turn, such as being able to underspeed Skarmory and Blissey.
* The rest of the EVs go to special bulk, which enables Scizor to take on Xerneas much easier, surviving a +2 Focus Blast from offensive Geomancy Xerneas.
* Light Metal is used as the base ability over Technician to come in on Low Kicks more easily, as Scizor's ability will become Technician upon Mega Evolution.

Usage Tips
========

* Always Mega Evolve on the first turn that Scizor is used, as there is no reason to ever keep it unevolved.
* Mega Scizor switches in fairly safely on Xerneas. Unlike most other Xerneas checks in the tier, Mega Scizor can Roost off the chip damage and remain healthy throughout the match. However, Mega Scizor must be wary of Choice Specs Xerneas variants as it has a small chance to 2HKO this EV spread and is guaranteed after Stealth Rock.
* Mega Scizor is able to switch in on common support Pokemon such as Arceus-Water and Lugia, as it's immune to Toxic and takes very little damage from a resisted Ice Beam.
* Take advantage of Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch and its ability to out-prioritize and heavily damage Xerneas, especially if said Xerneas has been weakened enough to be in range of a knockout from Bullet Punch. Bullet Punch can also knock out other faster Pokemon that have been weakened, such as Mega Gengar, Tapu Koko, Pheromosa, and Darkrai.
* Utilize U-turn early- and mid-game to give yourself as much momentum as possible, especially if the enemy has bulky Steel-types that they can switch in that are still healthy, as well as Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh. If running Toxic, however, you can catch Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh on the switch to start whittling them down faster.
* If you're running Swords Dance, Mega Scizor CAN sweep, but it's mainly there to help break down Z-Geomancy Xerneas before it sweeps your entire team.
* Try not to let Mega Scizor get burned at all, especially when you're not running Swords Dance. It will lose the ability to check Xerneas reliably and the small residual damage can be a big deal in certain situations.

Team Options
========

* Primal Kyogre is a fantastic partner for Mega Scizor, as it appreciates Mega Scizor's ability to attract Primal Groudon and U-turn out of it to bring Primal Kyogre in safely. Primal Kyogre also has the added bonus of being completely immune to Fire-type attacks, something Mega Scizor fears.
* Fire-types such as Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh are excellent teammates for Mega Scizor, as they incinerate the many Steel-types in the tier that wall Mega Scizor. Mega Scizor comes in on Arceus-Water fairly well; this is nice for Primal Groudon, since it hates taking a Toxic.
* Teammates that provide hazard removal, such as Arceus-Water, Arceus-Rock, and Giratina-O, are a must for Mega Scizor as constantly switching in to Stealth Rock and Spikes can make it difficult to check certain Pokemon. As a bonus, Arceus-Water and Arceus-Rock can effectively check Ho-Oh and Mega Salamence; Giratina-O is also a Mega Salamence check and can handle Primal Groudon and Blaziken.
* Dark-types such as Yveltal and Arceus-Dark really love Mega Scizor's Fairy resistance and Toxic immunity, while Mega Scizor appreciates their ability to take on Giratina-O.
* Zygarde-C also appreciates Mega Scizor's ability to shrug off Fairy-type attacks, while also being able to switch in to Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, and Ho-Oh.
* Pokemon that appreciate a slow U-turn, such as powerful wallbreakers like Deoxys-A, Lunala, Rayquaza and Zekrom, and trappers such as Dugtrio and Tyranitar, make solid partners to Mega Scizor.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Mega Scizor can Defog away hazards for its team, but that role is better suited to the many support Arceus formes, especially those that pair well with Mega Scizor such as Arceus-Water or Arceus-Rock.
* Superpower can be utilized to hurt Extreme Killer as well as Steel types like Ferrothorn, Mega Lucario, and Arceus-Steel.
* Knock Off can give Mega Scizor another way to hurt Steel-types while removing important items, but it has a tough time fitting that on to its moveset and it doesn't affect Arceus formes not named Extreme Killer as well as Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Pokemon that hold Mega Stones or Z-Crystals.
* Mega Scizor can Pursuit trap Deoxys-A and Lunala, but there are better Pursuit trappers that don't need a mega stone such as Tyranitar, Deoxys-Attack, and Aegislash.
* Counter is an interesting option to KO lured Pokemon, as Mega Scizor is capable of surviving a +2 Earthquake from Arceus-Ground and a Choice Band-boosted Dragon Ascent from Rayquaza at full HP and OHKO back, but the opportunity cost of replacing any of Mega Scizor's main moves for it is too high and it doesn't affect Ghost-types such as Arceus-Ghost. Also, a +2 Tectonic Rage from Arceus-Ground is capable of OHKOing Mega Scizor anyways.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types**: Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, and Blaziken care very little of Mega Scizor's dual STAB attacks and can OHKO back with a 4x effective Fire move, but they must be wary of switching in on a Toxic and Mega Scizor has the ability to U-turn out of them on the switch to bring in checks, such as Primal Kyogre and Dugtrio.

**Primal Kyogre**: Primal Kyogre variants, especially RestTalk variants, come in easily on Mega Scizor and take no damage from Bullet Punch. Primal Kyogre sets not running Rest must fear Toxic, and U-Turn can do a sizable chunk of damage.

**Steel-types**: Pokemon like Celesteela, Arceus-Steel, Solgaleo, and Dialga don't care at all about Mega Scizor, being immune to Toxic and have the potential to retaliate with Fire-type coverage, while Ferrothorn and Skarmory can proceed to set Spikes in its face. Also, Mega Lucario can use Mega Scizor as set up fodder. However, Mega Scizor can also U-turn out of these Steel-types and bring in checks such as Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh, as well as using Superpower against the Steel-types that are weak to it.

**Bulky Attackers**: Mega Salamence uses Mega Scizor as setup fodder and can retaliate with Aerilate-boosted attacks, and if it comes in on a Toxic, its Facade becomes boosted. Arceus-Normal, Arceus-Ground, Arceus-Ghost, and Zygarde-C also use Mega Scizor as setup fodder, although Arceus-Normal must be wary of Superpower. Yveltal and Lunala shrug off Mega Scizor's attacking moves and have recovery options. However, Arceus-Ground, Arceus-Ghost, Yveltal, and Lunala hate Toxic's residual damage.

**Will-O-Wisp**: Users of Will-O-Wisp, such as Mega Gengar, Arceus-Rock, Arceus-Ghost, Giratina-O, and Mega Sableye, can cripple Mega Scizor's Attack stat, which will hamper its ability to check what it needs to.

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, I'm glad you managed to finish a writeup of this so quickly, but according to C&C procedures you need to put this into the skeleton bullet point format.

just like to point out that you mention fire coverage p regularly throughout the analysis on stuff that doesn't carry it. hp fire gar is almost unheard of and deo a on psychic terrain needs to run certain coverage moves to hit darks and psychics and has no room for hp fire. I'm not sure band or lo scizor is even worth mentioning in oo since it doesn't check anything well enough to justify a slot over something else that provides more offensive pressure and has more bulk and defensive utility

just like to point out that you mention fire coverage p regularly throughout the analysis on stuff that doesn't carry it. hp fire gar is almost unheard of and deo a on psychic terrain needs to run certain coverage moves to hit darks and psychics and has no room for hp fire. I'm not sure band or lo scizor is even worth mentioning in oo since it doesn't check anything well enough to justify a slot over something else that provides more offensive pressure and has more bulk and defensive utility
Noted. Changes made to the OP.

[SET]
name: Utility Attacker
move 2: Roost
move 3: Pursuit / Swords Dance
move 4: U-Turn / Toxic
nature: Adamant

Is what I'd probably have here. Without SD, Z-Geomancy Xerneas will roll over you and then the reasoning for using Scizor gets pretty small, as then its a bad Aegislash (and Aegislash isn't exactly the best mon around), but I have it second slash until we get some other QC discussion in here. Pursuit woulda been decent in the Hypnosis Gengar meta (the dates for the ban and this analysis match so i assume it was accounting for that?) but Wisp + Hex is a thing which shits all over Scizor so I question if Pursuit is the ideal way to use this. The SD set is the only way I've been able to use Scizor so far tho.

The spread 2HKOes the fattest Xerns at +2 and lives +2 Focus Blast from the offensive ones after SR:

+2 128+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Xerneas: 218-260 (47.8 - 57%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 128 SpD Scizor-Mega: 255-300 (74.1 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

keys

It's Prime Time
is a Forum Moderatoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
[SET]

Is what I'd probably have here. Without SD, Z-Geomancy Xerneas will roll over you and then the reasoning for using Scizor gets pretty small, as then its a bad Aegislash (and Aegislash isn't exactly the best mon around), but I have it second slash until we get some other QC discussion in here. Pursuit woulda been decent in the Hypnosis Gengar meta (the dates for the ban and this analysis match so i assume it was accounting for that?) but Wisp + Hex is a thing which shits all over Scizor so I question if Pursuit is the ideal way to use this. The SD set is the only way I've been able to use Scizor so far tho.

The spread 2HKOes the fattest Xerns at +2 and lives +2 Focus Blast from the offensive ones after SR:

+2 128+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Xerneas: 218-260 (47.8 - 57%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 128 SpD Scizor-Mega: 255-300 (74.1 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Not QC or anything, but I've used Scizor probably more than anyone since S&M came out. It is an extremely mediocre pursuit trapper and I wouldn't call that it's main niche. A set with Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Toxic (or Swords Dance) and Roost has been working out extremely well for me. If you're going to use it for trapping, you're better off just going with Tyranitar. It can switch in and cripple support Arceus forms with Toxic as well as a ton of other Pokemon due to it's incredible defensive typing and decent special bulk.

Also coming from experience, I suggest a Brave nature instead of an Adamant one, allowing you to have a slower U-Turn against the likes of Skarmory, Magearna, Blissey, Clefable and opposing Mega Scizor, which can be huge since Scizor cannot touch these mons for the most part, allowing you to get a free switch into a teammate that can (such as Primal Groudon). I also suggest pairing it up with trappers, such as Mega Gengar or Dugtrio, they benefit from it's ability to pivot and a slow U-Turn can make trapping that much more effective.

Last edited:
[SET]

I particularly like this spread because it can kill Mega Gengar at +2 with Bullet Punch before it can Will-o-Wisp back. I'll make the set change.

And yeah, Pursuit was better during the HypnoGar metagame, but since it's gone, Mega Scizor has indeed gotten much worse at it. I'll be making the necessary changes to the doc to reflect this.

I also suggest pairing it up with trappers, such as Mega Gengar or Dugtrio, they benefit from it's ability to pivot and a slow U-Turn can make trapping that much more effective.
You can't have two Megas on the same team, but Duggy or Tyranitar can work :p

Last edited:
I'd probably reword the part in the overview that says "Tapu Lele Psychic spam" to just something like "has trouble with Psychic Terrain". While it's been 'coined' as psyspam it isn't something that should be in a skeleton.

Checks and Counters doesn't use bullet points but instead some asterisks that make it bold on the dex, example:
  • Fire types: Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh care very little of Mega Scizor, but they must be wary of switching in on a Toxic.
should be
**Fire-types**: Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh care very little of Mega Scizor, but they must be wary of switching in on a Toxic.
Implement and consider this QC 1/3

I'd probably reword the part in the overview that says "Tapu Lele Psychic spam" to just something like "has trouble with Psychic Terrain". While it's been 'coined' as psyspam it isn't something that should be in a skeleton.

Checks and Counters doesn't use bullet points but instead some asterisks that make it bold on the dex, example:

should be

Implement and consider this QC 1/3
Done and done.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There's a number of things in the overview that just don't come off right.

Technician Bullet Punch can 2HKO most Xerneas sets, especially when running Swords Dance.
This language implies that running Swords Dance increases your damage roll, which it doesn't. What it allows you to do is boost to a point where you can now 2HKO boosted Z Geo Xern.

Faces massive competition for a Mega Slot from generally better megas such as Mega Gengar, Mega Salamence, Mega Sableye and even Mega Lucario.
I wouldn't say its massive competition, but yes there are Megas that tend to be better. The teams atm that fit Mega Scizor actually don't struggle all that much to do so. The language "even Mega Lucario" implies that Mega Lucario isn't a good Pokemon in its own right, which it is right now.

Is huge bait to fire types such as Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh while also baiting in the many steel types in the tier such as Solgaleo, Steelceus and Celesteela.
Okay, but why is this relevant? You can Tox P Don and Ho-Oh, or U-Turn out of any of them into an offensive mon that threatens them. This hasn't really been communicated here.

Has issues against Psychic Terrain, which nullifies Bullet Punch and allows Pokemon like Mewtwo with Fire coverage to OHKO Mega Scizor, or Deoxys-Attack to pick Mega Scizor off if it has been weakened.
I feel that Psychic Terrain, let alone Mewtwo, aren't important enough to be worth mentioning in the overview of this Pokemon.

In moves:

U-Turn gives the user momentum to bring a teammate in relatively safely.
This should be elaborated on with specifics or a general description of how it works and why it's important.

The last slot is a toss-up.
Being pedantic here, but this implies that the last move isn't very important when it is, especially when one of the points you mention in the overview is entirely contingent upon Mega Scizor running Toxic.

In set details:

Never, ever, switch a Mega Scizor in vs a GeoXern of any kind unless you're doubling in to it.
Why not? Mega Scizor 2HKOs standard Geo Xern with Bullet Punch, can tank +2 Focus Blast after SR, and can Roost if Xern just wants to try and chip at you before boosting. The set counters standard Geo Xern: you don't always have to sack a Pokemon to get it in or exclusively use it as a check via revenge killing (see Mega Lucario and EKiller).

Superpower should be added to OO since it hits certain Steels (Tox immunes) and can help cover things like EKiller.

Fix these things and I'll stamp later.

There's a number of things in the overview that just don't come off right.

This language implies that running Swords Dance increases your damage roll, which it doesn't. What it allows you to do is boost to a point where you can now 2HKO boosted Z Geo Xern.

I wouldn't say its massive competition, but yes there are Megas that tend to be better. The teams atm that fit Mega Scizor actually don't struggle all that much to do so. The language "even Mega Lucario" implies that Mega Lucario isn't a good Pokemon in its own right, which it is right now.

Okay, but why is this relevant? You can Tox P Don and Ho-Oh, or U-Turn out of any of them into an offensive mon that threatens them. This hasn't really been communicated here.

I feel that Psychic Terrain, let alone Mewtwo, aren't important enough to be worth mentioning in the overview of this Pokemon.

In moves:

This should be elaborated on with specifics or a general description of how it works and why it's important.

Being pedantic here, but this implies that the last move isn't very important when it is, especially when one of the points you mention in the overview is entirely contingent upon Mega Scizor running Toxic.

In set details:

Why not? Mega Scizor 2HKOs standard Geo Xern with Bullet Punch, can tank +2 Focus Blast after SR, and can Roost if Xern just wants to try and chip at you before boosting. The set counters standard Geo Xern: you don't always have to sack a Pokemon to get it in or exclusively use it as a check via revenge killing (see Mega Lucario and EKiller).

Superpower should be added to OO since it hits certain Steels (Tox immunes) and can help cover things like EKiller.

Fix these things and I'll stamp later.
Done. Hopefully, the changes I made were adequate.

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is huge bait to fire types such as Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh while also baiting in the many steel types in the tier such as Solgaleo, Steelceus and Celesteela, but U-Turn can help mitigate this problem.
I still don't understand the language used here at all or why this is in the overview. What is it that you're trying to say? Mega Scizor is weak to common Fire-types such as Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh? That Mega Scizor can lure in Steel- and Fire-types to U-Turn into mons X, Y, or Z? In the Overview you don't really say much that's worthwhile.

Usage tips is shallow and doesn't really touch on the types of things Mega Scizor teams have to watch out for. Most of the changes where just cutting information that I quoted rather than actually fixing it.

In C&C I'm not sure why Celesteela is singled out when mons like Ferrothorn check Mega Scizor about the same (also can stack Spikes). Just group all Steel-types together and explain how they check Mega Scizor. I would list "Pokemon with Fire-type coverage" and "Will-O-Wisp" lower as these are moves and not Pokemon that are able to switch in.

I still don't understand the language used here at all or why this is in the overview. What is it that you're trying to say? Mega Scizor is weak to common Fire-types such as Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh? That Mega Scizor can lure in Steel- and Fire-types to U-Turn into mons X, Y, or Z? In the Overview you don't really say much that's worthwhile.

Usage tips is shallow and doesn't really touch on the types of things Mega Scizor teams have to watch out for. Most of the changes where just cutting information that I quoted rather than actually fixing it.

In C&C I'm not sure why Celesteela is singled out when mons like Ferrothorn check Mega Scizor about the same (also can stack Spikes). Just group all Steel-types together and explain how they check Mega Scizor. I would list "Pokemon with Fire-type coverage" and "Will-O-Wisp" lower as these are moves and not Pokemon that are able to switch in.
Are you talking about the entire overview or just that one point?

Anyways, made the edits.

Ok after further review this still needs more work before it gets anywhere. Consider my stamp taken back for now until this is all implemented. Here's a more indepth QC, but in future I will be more on alert for issues like this and consider rejecting if future stuff requires this level of work. Consider it a free C&C lesson as this is my fault for not addressing stuff sooner, I guess I did go too easy.

Let's start with the formatting. The bullet points all need to be changed to asterisks as noted in the announcement of this subforum, and the markdown formatting is missing from certain areas. Look at the example format in this post's importable hide tag and fix it all.

Overview
It's a great bulky pivot with a phenomenal defensive-typing and access to reliable recovery and a slow U-Turn to help it bring its teammates in safely.
U-Turn targets and teammates to bring in should be noted here. Elaboration is key and this skeleton is missing a bunch of it. What does the defensive typing do for Scizor (aka what does it check as a result of it)? What Pokemon that match well with Mega Scizor enjoy the slow U-Turn in?
It can easily come in on most support Arceus formes and cripple them with Toxic.
What support Arceus formes? Any neutral Judgments from the likes of Arceus-Water, Arceus-Ground and Arceus-Rock deal half of Scizor's HP and Scizor is slower so it essentially suicides for nothing. Arceus-Rock also commonly carries Wisp which leaves you useless. Arceus-Dragon and Fairy are the only support Arceus formes Scizor can reliably switch into, and both are rarer than the ones that hit you neutrally. Remove this line.
Faces competition for a Mega Slot from generally better megas such as Mega Gengar, Mega Salamence, Mega Sableye and Mega Lucario.
"Generally better" is subjective (albeit true in this case) but it isn't relative to Scizor, as none of these Megas do the same job as Scizor to make them comparable. Remove this as well.
Has a nasty 4x weakness to common Fire types such as Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh.
A type chart tells me this altough mentioning the mons that take advantage of the weakness is fine... but see if there's something else you can add here.
Many opposing Steel types in the metagame hard-wall Mega Scizor.
Scizor also hard walls most of them unless they run specific coverage and can pivot into a free Primal Groudon or Primal Kyogre turn via U-turn if they switch into Scizor. This isn't necessarily true if you are running SD either as the possibility to boost up is there if it really felt like it. Magearna and Klefki are neutral to Bullet Punch. Remove this line as its best fitted to C&C where Scizor's matchup against specific Pokemon in that category can be described. I'll address C&C later.
Somewhat passive due to low base power moves.
Low base power isn't the reason, its the fact that Steel/Bug moves are incredibly easy to switch into for most Pokemon in Ubers which leaves Scizor to Toxic or U-turn out of them, making it passive via giving away free switches (which can be turned into advantages). Remove this line or reword to accomodate this information - and don't just copy/paste it.

Moves
Bullet Punch is your main priority STAB option which allows Mega Scizor to revenge-kill weakened targets as well as doing major damage to Xerneas.
What weakened targets should Scizor be looking to use Bullet Punch on? How much damage does it do to Xerneas and other good targets of the move?

Set Details

Light Metal usage should be covered here. Note that Scizor should always Mega Evolve on the first turn it does something (aka didnt double switch) in usage tips.

Team Options

Primal Kyogre should be emphasized more, not just that defensive sets can take Fire-type moves. Primal Kyogre is like the best partner to this mon as it takes a free U-turn vs Primal Groudon any day of the week and this possibility hasn't even been mentioned.
The ordering of the Dragon-types is confusing to me. Cover what Dragon-types cover a certain Mega Scizor check. Splitting this up is probably ideal to get the most information across.
Pursuit Deoxys-A is a sketchy mention to me as its not exactly any better of a pursuit trapper than Scizor and it prefers to run a stronger Dark-type move in Knock Off. A U-turn to Deoxys-A in general is ok but I wouldn't note Pursuit specifically.

Checks and Counters

Blaziken exists and can be noted here in the Fire-types section. The current mentions don't note that Scizor can U-turn out of them as they come in as a counterplay.

The Fire-type coverage area can just be removed and placed in other sections. HP Fire Xerneas is non existant. Solgaleo's Flare Blitz usage can be noted in the Steel-types section. Rayquaza doesn't need to V-create Scizor when Dragon Ascent already does a lot of damage.

A section for bulky attackers can go here instead. Lunala requires Scizor to have either Pursuit or Knock Off to really deal damage to. Yveltal is likely very happy to switch in. SD Arceus formes are likely to use you as setup fodder. Mega Salamence uses Scizor as complete setup fodder, and god help you if you Toxic it because the only real checks that fit with Scizor are bulky Arceus formes and Arceus-Water is gonna get owned by Facade unless its at full.

I'll have another look once this is all done.

Ok after further review this still needs more work before it gets anywhere. Consider my stamp taken back for now until this is all implemented. Here's a more indepth QC, but in future I will be more on alert for issues like this and consider rejecting if future stuff requires this level of work. Consider it a free C&C lesson as this is my fault for not addressing stuff sooner, I guess I did go too easy.

Let's start with the formatting. The bullet points all need to be changed to asterisks as noted in the announcement of this subforum, and the markdown formatting is missing from certain areas. Look at the example format in this post's importable hide tag and fix it all.

Overview

U-Turn targets and teammates to bring in should be noted here. Elaboration is key and this skeleton is missing a bunch of it. What does the defensive typing do for Scizor (aka what does it check as a result of it)? What Pokemon that match well with Mega Scizor enjoy the slow U-Turn in?

What support Arceus formes? Any neutral Judgments from the likes of Arceus-Water, Arceus-Ground and Arceus-Rock deal half of Scizor's HP and Scizor is slower so it essentially suicides for nothing. Arceus-Rock also commonly carries Wisp which leaves you useless. Arceus-Dragon and Fairy are the only support Arceus formes Scizor can reliably switch into, and both are rarer than the ones that hit you neutrally. Remove this line.

"Generally better" is subjective (albeit true in this case) but it isn't relative to Scizor, as none of these Megas do the same job as Scizor to make them comparable. Remove this as well.

A type chart tells me this altough mentioning the mons that take advantage of the weakness is fine... but see if there's something else you can add here.

Scizor also hard walls most of them unless they run specific coverage and can pivot into a free Primal Groudon or Primal Kyogre turn via U-turn if they switch into Scizor. This isn't necessarily true if you are running SD either as the possibility to boost up is there if it really felt like it. Magearna and Klefki are neutral to Bullet Punch. Remove this line as its best fitted to C&C where Scizor's matchup against specific Pokemon in that category can be described. I'll address C&C later.

Low base power isn't the reason, its the fact that Steel/Bug moves are incredibly easy to switch into for most Pokemon in Ubers which leaves Scizor to Toxic or U-turn out of them, making it passive via giving away free switches (which can be turned into advantages). Remove this line or reword to accomodate this information - and don't just copy/paste it.

Moves

What weakened targets should Scizor be looking to use Bullet Punch on? How much damage does it do to Xerneas and other good targets of the move?

Set Details

Light Metal usage should be covered here. Note that Scizor should always Mega Evolve on the first turn it does something (aka didnt double switch) in usage tips.

Team Options

Primal Kyogre should be emphasized more, not just that defensive sets can take Fire-type moves. Primal Kyogre is like the best partner to this mon as it takes a free U-turn vs Primal Groudon any day of the week and this possibility hasn't even been mentioned.
The ordering of the Dragon-types is confusing to me. Cover what Dragon-types cover a certain Mega Scizor check. Splitting this up is probably ideal to get the most information across.
Pursuit Deoxys-A is a sketchy mention to me as its not exactly any better of a pursuit trapper than Scizor and it prefers to run a stronger Dark-type move in Knock Off. A U-turn to Deoxys-A in general is ok but I wouldn't note Pursuit specifically.

Checks and Counters

Blaziken exists and can be noted here in the Fire-types section. The current mentions don't note that Scizor can U-turn out of them as they come in as a counterplay.

The Fire-type coverage area can just be removed and placed in other sections. HP Fire Xerneas is non existant. Solgaleo's Flare Blitz usage can be noted in the Steel-types section. Rayquaza doesn't need to V-create Scizor when Dragon Ascent already does a lot of damage.

A section for bulky attackers can go here instead. Lunala requires Scizor to have either Pursuit or Knock Off to really deal damage to. Yveltal is likely very happy to switch in. SD Arceus formes are likely to use you as setup fodder. Mega Salamence uses Scizor as complete setup fodder, and god help you if you Toxic it because the only real checks that fit with Scizor are bulky Arceus formes and Arceus-Water is gonna get owned by Facade unless its at full.

I'll have another look once this is all done.
Alright, I attempted to implement everything you said here, and I'm sure you'll point out anything I missed. However, I feel I should still at least list Arceus-Water in the Overview as there are still a lot of sets that solely run Ice Beam as its offensive option, so I made a distinction in the Overview section that mentions Mega Scizor's ability to come in on Mono-Ice Beam Waterceus sets, if that's still okay with you.

Zygarde-C isn't a setup sweeper as noted in the Overview. SD Arceus formes and offensive Primal Groudon sets are the main things to watch out for with Scizor, although Primal Groudon is already mentioned previously so its fine to leave it out in this line.

Counter can go in OO as an option against SD Arceus formes. It can live a +2 Arceus-Ground Earthquake at full (50% dead after SR tho) and Counter it as an example. Surprises Arceus-Normal but does nothing vs Arceus-Ghost.

Arceus-Rock should be noted as a user of Will-O-Wisp in C&C, as it might be tempting to an unsuspecting player to stay in and Bullet Punch it.

Implement for a re-checked QC 2/3

Zygarde-C isn't a setup sweeper as noted in the Overview. SD Arceus formes and offensive Primal Groudon sets are the main things to watch out for with Scizor, although Primal Groudon is already mentioned previously so its fine to leave it out in this line.

Counter can go in OO as an option against SD Arceus formes. It can live a +2 Arceus-Ground Earthquake at full (50% dead after SR tho) and Counter it as an example. Surprises Arceus-Normal but does nothing vs Arceus-Ghost.

Arceus-Rock should be noted as a user of Will-O-Wisp in C&C, as it might be tempting to an unsuspecting player to stay in and Bullet Punch it.

Implement for a re-checked QC 2/3
Done.

In Usage Tips mention Scizor needs to be wary of Specs Xerneas since Specs Moonblast has a chance to 2HKO from full and is a guaranteed 2HKO after SR.

* Take advantage of Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch and its ability to pick off fast Pokemon that have been weakened enough to be knocked out.
Be more specific. This is pretty important since Mega Scizor's typing, bulk, and access to STAB BP means you can hard switch it in to weakened Xerneas and revenge it without having to sack a teammate.

* Giratina-O and Zygarde-Complete also appreciate Mega Scizor's ability to shrug off Fairy type attacks, while being solid Primal Groudon switchins.
What else can these deal with for Scizor?

When talking about Counter in OO mention that Scizor is still OHKOed by boosted Tectonic Rage.

In C&C place Primal Kyogre above Steel-types since Scizor walls most Steel-types as well and can break through them if running Swords Dance and Superpower. Mega Lucario should be added somewhere as well.

Add hazard removal to Team Options since entry hazards jeopardize Scizor's ability to effectively check Xerneas and force it to Roost, which allows stuff that would otherwise be wary of Toxic to switch in for free.

Fix up for QC 3/3

In Usage Tips mention Scizor needs to be wary of Specs Xerneas since Specs Moonblast has a chance to 2HKO from full and is a guaranteed 2HKO after SR.

Be more specific. This is pretty important since Mega Scizor's typing, bulk, and access to STAB BP means you can hard switch it in to weakened Xerneas and revenge it without having to sack a teammate.

What else can these deal with for Scizor?

When talking about Counter in OO mention that Scizor is still OHKOed by boosted Tectonic Rage.

In C&C place Primal Kyogre above Steel-types since Scizor walls most Steel-types as well and can break through them if running Swords Dance and Superpower. Mega Lucario should be added somewhere as well.

Add hazard removal to Team Options since entry hazards jeopardize Scizor's ability to effectively check Xerneas and force it to Roost, which allows stuff that would otherwise be wary of Toxic to switch in for free.

Fix up for QC 3/3
All done.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Vengeance417

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[OVERVIEW]

* Mega Scizor is a bulky pivot with a phenomenal defensive typing that enables it to check prominent threats such as Xerneas and Deoxys-Attack.
* U-turn lets it pivot out of Primal Groudon, a common Mega Scizor switch-in, to bring in checks such as Primal Kyogre and Dugtrio.
* Mega Scizor's one of the few Xerneas checks in the Ubers metagame with reliable recovery.
* Technician-boosted Bullet Punch can 2HKO most Xerneas sets, and when coupled with Swords Dance, (RC) it can 2HKO boosted Z-Geomancy Xerneas.
* It can come in on certain support Arceus formes such as Arceus-Fairy, Arceus-Dragon, (AC) and mono-Ice Beam Arceus-Water as well as other support Pokemon such as Lugia, Magearna, Klefki, (AC) and Blissey.
* Scizor is somewhat passive due to a dual STAB combination in Bug and Steel that is resisted by a plethora of Pokemon in the Ubers metagame.
* It has a nasty 4x Fire weakness that can be exploited by Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh as well as Pokemon that run Fire coverage such as Dialga and Solgaleo.
* Scizor is setup fodder to many of the relevant setup sweepers in the tier, such as Mega Salamence, Swords Dance Arceus-Ground, (AC) and Swords Dance Arceus-Ghost, who which don't care at all about Mega Scizor due to their high bulk and resilience to Mega Scizor's attacks.

[SET]
name: Guerilla Warfare real name pls
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Roost
move 4: Toxic / Swords Dance
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpDef
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

* Bullet Punch is your main priority STAB option which allows Mega Scizor to revenge kill weakened targets such as, but not limited to, Mega Gengar, Tapu Koko, Rayquaza, Pheromosa, (AC) and Darkrai as well as doing a minimum of 51% to standard Xerneas and OHKOing Deoxys-Attack.
* U-turn is a requirement on this set. Given that Scizor attracts most of the Fire- and Steel- types in the tier, using U-turn on the turn they switch in to gain momentum is beneficial for not only Scizor's but for the rest of its team.
* Roost is a reliable recovery move that keeps Mega Scizor healthy throughout the match.
* Toxic allows Mega Scizor to punish incoming checks like Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, (AC) and support Arceus formes. Swords Dance lets it keep up with Z-Geomancy Xerneas when it gains +1 Defense.

Set Details
========

* 128 Atk with a Brave nature enables Mega Scizor to 2HKO standard Geomancy Xerneas and 2HKO Mega Gengar. Brave and 0 Speed IVs are chosen over Adamant to make Mega Scizor as slow as possible so it can be guaranteed to go last while using U-turn, such as being able to outslow underspeed Skarmory and Blissey.
* The rest of the EVs go to special bulk, which enables Scizor to take on Xerneas much easier, surviving a +2 Focus Blast from offensive Geomancy Xerneas.
* Light Metal is used as the base ability over Technician to come in on Low Kicks more easily, as Scizor's ability will become Technician upon Mega Evolution.

Usage Tips
========

* Always Mega Evolve on the first turn that Mega Scizor is used, as there is no reason to ever keep it unevolved in its base form.
* Mega Scizor switches in fairly safely on Xerneas. Unlike most other Xerneas checks in the tier, Mega Scizor can Roost off the chip damage and remain healthy throughout the match. However, Mega Scizor must be wary of Choice Specs Xerneas variants as it has a small chance to 2HKO this EV spread and is guaranteed after rocks Stealth Rock.
* Mega Scizor is able to switch in on common support Pokemon such as Arceus-Water and Lugia, as it's immune to Toxic and takes very little damage from a resisted Ice Beam.
* Take advantage of Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch and its ability to out-prioritize and heavily damage Xerneas, especially if said Xerneas has been weakened enough to be in range of a knockout from Bullet Punch. Bullet Punch can also knock out other faster Pokemon that have been weakened, such as Mega Gengar, Tapu Koko, Pheromosa, (AC) and Darkrai.
* Utilize U-turn early- and mid-game to give yourself as much momentum as possible, especially if the enemy has bulky Steel-types that they can go in to switch in that are still healthy, as well as Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh. If running Toxic, however, you can catch Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh on the switch to start whittling them down faster.
* If you're running Swords Dance, it Mega Scizor CAN sweep, but it's mainly there to help break down Z-Geomancy Xerneas before it sweeps your entire team.
* Try not to let Mega Scizor get burned at all, especially when you're not running Swords Dance. It will lose the ability to check Xerneas reliably and the small residual damage can be a big deal in certain situations.

Team Options
========

* Primal Kyogre is a fantastic partner for Mega Scizor, as it appreciates Mega Scizor's ability to attract Primal Groudon and U-turn out of it to bring Primal Kyogre in safely. Primal Kyogre also has the added bonus of being completely immune to Fire-type attacks, something Mega Scizor fears.
* Fire-types such as Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh are excellent teammates for Mega Scizor, as they incinerates the many Steel-types in the tier that hard-wall Mega Scizor. Mega Scizor comes in on Arceus-Water fairly well; (SC) this which is nice for Primal Groudon, (AC) since it hates taking a Toxic.
* Teammates that provide hazard removal, such as Arceus-Water, Arceus-Rock, (AC) and Giratina-O, are a must for Mega Scizor, (AC) as constantly switching in to Stealth Rock and Spikes can make it difficult to check certain Pokemon. As a bonus, Arceus-Water and Arceus-Rock can effectively check Ho-Oh and Mega Salamence; (SC) while Giratina-O is also a Mega Salamence check as well as checking and can handle Primal Groudon and Blaziken.
* Dark-types such as Yveltal and Arceus-Dark really love Mega Scizor's Fairy resistance and Toxic immunity, while Mega Scizor appreciates their ability to take on Giratina-O.
* Zygarde-Complete also appreciates Mega Scizor's ability to shrug off Fairy-type attacks, (RC) while also being able to comfortably switching switch in to Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, (AC) and Ho-Oh.
* Pokemon that appreciate a slow U-turn, such as powerful wallbreakers like Deoxys-Attack, Lunala, Rayquaza and Zekrom, and trappers such as Dugtrio and Tyranitar, make solid partners to Mega Scizor.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Mega Scizor can Defog away hazards for its team, but that role is better suited to the many support Arceus formes, especially those that pair well with Mega Scizor such as Arceus-Water or Arceus-Rock.
* Superpower can be utilized to hurt Extreme Killer as well as Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Steelceus Arceus-Steel.
* Knock Off can give Mega Scizor another way to hurt Steel-types while removing important items, but it has a tough time fitting that on to its moveset and it doesn't affect Arceus formes not named Ekiller Extreme Killer as well as the Primals Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, (AC) and Pokemon that hold Mega Stones or Z-Crystals.
* It Mega Scizor can Pursuit trap Deoxys-Attack and Lunala, but there are better Pursuit trappers that don't take a mega slot need a Mega Stone such as Tyranitar, Deoxys-Attack, (AC) and Aegislash.
* Counter is an interesting option to KO lured Pokemon, (AC) lure as Mega Scizor is capable of surviving a +2 Earthquake from Arceus-Ground and a Choice Band-boosted Banded Dragon Ascent from Rayquaza at full HP and OHKO back, but the opportunity cost of replacing any of Mega Scizor's main moves for it is too high and it doesn't affect Ghost-types such as Arceus-Ghost. Also, a +2 Tectonic Rage from Arceus-Ground is capable of OHKOing Mega Scizor anyways.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types**: Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, (AC) and Blaziken care very little of Mega Scizor's dual STAB attacks and can OHKO back with a 4x effective Fire move, but they must be wary of switching in on a Toxic and Mega Scizor has the ability to U-turn out of them on the switch to bring in checks, such as Primal Kyogre and Dugtrio.

**Primal Kyogre**: Primal Kyogre variants, especially RestTalk variants, come in easily on Mega Scizor and take no damage from Bullet Punch. Primal Kyogre sets not running Rest must fear Toxic, and U-turn can do a sizable chunk of damage.

**Steel-types**: Pokemon like Celesteela, Arceus-Steel, Solgaleo, (AC) and Dialga don't care at all about Mega Scizor, being immune to Toxic and have the potential to retaliate with Fire-type coverage, while Ferrothorn and Skarmory can proceed to set Spikes in its face. Also, Mega Lucario can use Mega Scizor as setup fodder. However, Mega Scizor can also U-turn out of these Steel-types and bring in checks such as Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh, as well as using Superpower against the Steel-types that are weak to it.

**Bulky Attackers**: Mega Salamence uses Mega Scizor as setup fodder and can retaliate with Aerilate-boosted attacks, and if it comes in on a Toxic, its Facade becomes boosted. Arceus-Normal, Arceus-Ground, Arceus-Ghost, (AC) and Zygarde-Complete also use Mega Scizor as setup fodder, although Arceus-Normal must be wary of Superpower. Yveltal and Lunala shrug off Mega Scizor's attacking moves and have recovery options. However, Arceus-Ground, Arceus-Ghost, Yveltal, (AC) and Lunala hate Toxic's residual damage.

**Will-O-Wisp**: Users of Will-O-Wisp, such as Mega Gengar, Arceus-Rock, Arceus-Ghost, Giratina-O, (AC) and Mega Sableye, can cripple Mega Scizor's Attack stat, which will hamper its ability to check what it needs to.

1/1

You would do well to check out the standards; some easy things that you can implement next time (like -types, the serial comma, and setup vs set up) will make your next analysis smoother for everyone! Also, be sure to refer to Scizor as "Mega Scizor" any time you're talking about it as a Mega Evolution.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)