Shed Shell

Shed Shell

In BW OU, Shed Shell isn't very common, as the only Pokemon that can effectively trap is Magnezone, and only Steel-types at that (Dugtrio is too weak, and cannot trap Flying-types). Skarmory and Ferrothorn may run Shed Shell to escape the grasp of Magnezone's Magnet Pull; however, even this is very uncommon, as Magnezone can be played around, and both Skarmory and Ferrothorn prefer the healing from Leftovers.

In Dream World, however, Shed Shell is increasingly common, as Shadow Tag Chandelure runs rampant. Pokemon such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and even Blissey are in danger of being trapped and KOed in some way. SubCM Chandelure beats any variant of Blissey, while Choice Scarf variants can decimate faster opponents with the appropriate move. Shed Shell has become a staple on most stall teams, as many members may be weak to Chandelure.

Who are the best users of Shed Shell? Is Blissey even viable without Leftovers? How do you decide whether or not to use Shed Shell on Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory, who both really appreciate the passive healing, especially Ferrothorn, as it only has Leech Seed as a form of pseudo-healing. Shed Shell is a very helpful item in Dream World, but sacrificing an item slot can be very difficult to do.

Thoughts?

Discuss!

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It may seem redundant carrying Shed Shell on your Politoed assuming you ran Choice Scarf and a Timid nature so you can outspeed Modest Chandelure anyway. But I do think Tyranitar deserves a mention because he has to evade the likes of Dugtrio as well as Chandelure; I use it on Wifi OU so Dugtrio + Sun can do very little about an ever-present sandstorm.

My favorite user of Shed Shell in Dream World has to be Amoonguss. Regenerator is one of the best abilities in competitive play and you can escape Chandelure to wall a long list of threats. Skarmory doesn't necessarily have to worry about Magnezone in DW OU for what it's worth.

In standard OU, Ferrothorn under rainy conditions was given 3/4 turns free before Hidden Power [Fire] Magnezone could faint it. I don't see Ferrothorn in Dream World all too much given how many suspects rely naturally on their own strength to simply power through its defences.

Breloom is a fine Shed Shell user. Chandelure likes to switch in to Breloom all day so being able to escape and switch to Tyranitar is a pretty big game

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
^
I like that you can use Shed Shell as a Chande-LURE, especially to use it as set up fodder, assuming Scarf. HP Ice and any Fire-type move lockied means that Blaziken can set up. Shadow Ball means free Meloetta switch-in. How else can you take advantage of escaping from Chandelure though? I mean it is the second most used Pokemon in the tier so you might as well take advantage of it.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Well I take advantage by using Tyranitar to make sure I get the KO on Chand. Most people don't have a whole lot of Breloom checks other than Chand if they're using it so Breloom has a much easier sweep when its gone.

I've been trying out Shed Shell Skarmory with Tyranitar, and it's been working well. People often use Chandelure with Excadrill, as Chandelure removes a lot of Excadrill's counters such as Gliscor and Skarmory allowing Excadrill to sweep. Shed Shell allows Skarmory to escape while Tyranitar traps it as most Chandelures are scarfed.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It may seem redundant carrying Shed Shell on your Politoed assuming you ran Choice Scarf and a Timid nature so you can outspeed Modest Chandelure anyway. But I do think Tyranitar deserves a mention because he has to evade the likes of Dugtrio as well as Chandelure; I use it on Wifi OU so Dugtrio + Sun can do very little about an ever-present sandstorm.
You obviously have never had your bulky Toed get raped by Sunnybeamer Chandelure, hehehe.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You obviously have never had your bulky Toed get raped by Sunnybeamer Chandelure, hehehe.
That actually sounds original than maybe most sets bar Choice Scarf obviously, backing Ninetales somewhat may come in handy if you've already trapped their Tyranitar. Would you run Hidden Power [Fighting] or maybe Calm Mind with a bulkier spread?

I'd consider Heat Rock but prefer Air Balloon as its item, with enough EVs to survive Excadrill's Life Orb Rock Slide; that's if Chandelure can. Either way that's not happening with Stealth Rock up, so you'll need to be careful and keep Ninetales safe because Timid Chandelure may be quick in its own right, but Dream World's "Speed Tiers" need to be prepared for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)