Shiny Rarity

Apart from the Red Gyardos the Shinys I have seen (Not caught all of these)

Beedrill (Gold)
Rhyhorn (Gold)
Whismur (Ruby)
Bidoof (Diamond)
Mime Jr. (Diamond)

there the only ones from the top of my head I've seen so not many but shinys are good to brag about but a Metagame No-no unless it has a good nature and IV's.

Will someone tell me wht the Poke-Radar thing is, I'm still not sure.

BTW, shiny electabuzz, dratini and smeargle, sucks they all have crap natures

I only had a shiny metapod in silver >> But i released it because it didn't wn me the bug contest >>

Although if I get a shiny ninjask, I'll probably use it since its for baton passing mostly.

Err, I've caught a few Shinies.

- On Gold Version, in the Mahogany Rocket Hideout, one of the Electrodes was shiny. Luckily I caught him before he went all "iUseSelfdestructlolumad?" on me.
- On Fire Red, in Mt. Moon caught a Shiny Zubat, Lonely Nature. Decent, I used it in game though. -_-
- On Leaf Green, in the grass above Pallet Town I caught a LV2 Shiny Adamant Pidgey. =]

Other than those & the obvious Shiny Gyrados at Lake of Rage, never caught any.

I caught a shiny Kricketot, and without Pokeradar of course . . . and a shiny Absol while they were swarming, since I wanted to train one up and I made it to 40. Had an Abra synchronizer, Jolly nature; guess what nature Absol got? Modest. POS.

Oh yeah, back in Silver I caught a shiny Zubat, dunno what happened to it.

I have a shiny Gengar, but its nature is Quiet T_T I still use it; I wish it got a better nature, though. I also have a shiny Bibarel (Modest), Graveller (Mild), Golbat (Sassy), and an Aggron (Adamant). All but Aggron have god awful natures; well, maybe Gengar's isn't god awful.

it took me 305 hours on diamond.. i hatched a bold togepi. now it helps me set up dds on sds. its awesome 31 ivs in sd and high hp. my girlfriend caught 3 wild ones in like 110 hours

I've never hatched a shiny, nor has the radar trick ever worked for me. All my shinies are from dumb luck. I caught a shiny Zigzagoon and Plusle on my Sapphire, as well as an Oddish and Doduo (both in the same run through the Safari Zone), a shiny Zapdos on FireRed (SR for a good nature), nothing on my 630 hours on Emerald, and a shiny Adamant Golbat in Diamond. Overall, pretty much only proud of the Zapdos and Crobat. My dream shiny is a Beldum though, but I want to find it myself, not through trade.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
untill today I hadent caught a shiny but look at my first one

Gloom (shiny!!!)

Hasty
Hp 23
attack 11
defence 9
sp. Attack 30
sp. Defence 22
speed 3
HP ground 67!!

(ok I know everyone hates gloom but it has nr perfict sp. Attack and a good hidden power) its speed is deisapointing but outherwise :-)

I have probably 500 hours combined in FR, LG, Emerald, Sapphire and Diamond and have only caught one, a shiny Lotad when trying to pick up Rare Candies with a team of Linoones.

But hot damn, I cloned several of those Lotads and even though its stats are terrible and its Jolly, its worth a fortune in #spp-wifi and Gamefaqs. 95% of people in SPP and Gamefaqs care more about shinies than competitive, so I can basically get anything I want for those Lotads. Elekid with Electrizer, Magby with Magmarizer, Chikorita/Cyndaquil/Totodile, Jirachi, TMS, items, so many things I have gotten.

Most of the battles vs. people in SPP-Wifi have teams of shinies. That's what I hate, shinies are supposed to be rare and something special, but when everyone has hacked/cloned shinies it loses its importance.

I don't see how PokeRadar can increase shinies

Looking at the equation to determine the shininess, the shiny status is derived from the first 8 bytes of a pokemon's 80-byte long block. First 4 of 8 represent 32-bit random number (contains the 6 IV's), it's known as the MAP or Pokemon ID. 5th and 6th are 16-bit invisible number given to trainer when you start the game(aka Secret trainer ID). And 7th and 8th are the visible trainer ID.

The 8 bytes (64 bits) are hashed into one 16-bit word by using the binary operator "XOR", and when this result is less than 8, the pokemon is shiny. Hence the where magic number 8192 come from.

8 / 65536 (max decimal value of the 16-bit word) = 1/8192

If the pokeradar forcefully set the shiny flag without obeying the basic equation, when this shiny pokemon is stored into the PC or trasfer to the PBR, it will likely to loss the shiny status (when the pokemon values are re-evaluated). Since we know that doesn't happen, the odds of getting shinies using pokeradar must be bounded by the same equation, which is still 1/8192.

Any comments?

Looking at the equation to determine the shininess, the shiny status is derived from the first 8 bytes of a pokemon's 80-byte long block. First 4 of 8 represent 32-bit random number (contains the 6 IV's), it's known as the MAP or Pokemon ID. 5th and 6th are 16-bit invisible number given to trainer when you start the game(aka Secret trainer ID). And 7th and 8th are the visible trainer ID.

The 8 bytes (64 bits) are hashed into one 16-bit word by using the binary operator "XOR", and when this result is less than 8, the pokemon is shiny. Hence the where magic number 8192 come from.

8 / 65536 (max decimal value of the 16-bit word) = 1/8192

If the pokeradar forcefully set the shiny flag without obeying the basic equation, when this shiny pokemon is stored into the PC or trasfer to the PBR, it will likely to loss the shiny status (when the pokemon values are re-evaluated). Since we know that doesn't happen, the odds of getting shinies using pokeradar must be bounded by the same equation, which is still 1/8192.

Any comments?
So it is your opinion that everyone who has gotten shinies from pokeradar has just been coincidental? After 40 chains, you will only have to reset the pokeradar a few times before you see a shiny patch. However hard it may have been to code, they did it somehow, because there is no way that people who can catch 15+ shinies from radar in a day is coincidental, thats what a 1/8192 chance each time, thats a 1/122880 chance of it happening, and its not like it only ever happened to one person either, every man and his dog on serebii/other dumb forums have a collection of shinies, its what people do

I've only gotten a shiny Ursaring in Gold, a shiny Furret in Silver, and a Shiny Elekid in Crystal. No 3rd or 4th gen shinies yet:pirate:.

IMO, when using PokeRadar, the odds of getting a shiny has not increased, but the number of wide pokemon enocounters has dramatically increased.

Everytime, a pokeradar is used, you are enabling 4-5 patches of shaking grass, which all contain the same type of pokemon, and you are able to tell, in advance, if they are shiny or not by the type of shaking. If not, you can just reset the radar without breaking the chain. That will save you a lot of time by skipping every individual battle scene.

And this is the same a going through 4-5 real battles for every radar use!!! A big time saver.

Imagining you are in a 50-pokemon chain, with 50 resets, that's the same as

(50+50) x 4 shaking grass per radar = 400 wild pokemon encounters

http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shinyprobgj4.png

This is a chart relating # of encounters versus the probability that at least one of those encounters is a shiny. Also, I think it's important to note that what really matters is pokemon encounters, and not play time. I too probably have about 1000 hours between my GBA/DS pokemon games, but a lot of that time was spent hatching eggs, or Battle Tower, or running up a mudslope in R/S with pokemon in the daycare.

300+ hours spent in Ruby
Probably around 200+ spent on Emerald/Leaf Green/Sapphire
150+ on D/P

No shinies ever even seen and I've reserved myself to not give a damn about them either.
I'm just unlucky....

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think my game was hacked. The whole time people were talking about Red Gyarados and then at the end the Red Gyarados I coincidentally found was Shiny! I was soo stoked. People are speechless when I tell them about it from Silver!

Ok, in all seriousness, the only shiny I've ever seen was my friend's (non battler) Wifi'd Celebi... that had Wonder Guard. I said to my friend "Uh, it's hacked. It has spaces in its name and a Trait it can't have. He's like "no it's shiny they're different!". Yay.

cim

http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shinyprobgj4.png

This is a chart relating # of encounters versus the probability that at least one of those encounters is a shiny. Also, I think it's important to note that what really matters is pokemon encounters, and not play time. I too probably have about 1000 hours between my GBA/DS pokemon games, but a lot of that time was spent hatching eggs, or Battle Tower, or running up a mudslope in R/S with pokemon in the daycare.
Uh, no that's not how probability works. That graph shows after 8192 attempts a 100% chance of getting a shiny. Wrong. Probability for this is like probability for a coin flip (an 8,192-sided coin); no matter what the previous results were, it is still a 1 in 2 (1 in 8192) chance of heads/shiny. Where many get confused is the apparent tendency for two coin flips to reveal heads and tails. One must realize the second flip was no more likely to be tails than heads, and that getting heads then tails was a 1 in 4 chance altogether and the fact that it did not become false with the first flip does not make te 2nd flip any more likely to be true. Thus, the chances of your 8,192nd Pokémon being shiny after your other 8,191 weren't are still 1 in 8,192. Got it?

However, the probability that, in a random set of x catches, one of the catches was shiny DOES roughly follow that graph. Roughly.

Uh, no that's not how probability works.
(a bunch of semi-informed ranting snipped)
LOL. I am not a victim of the gamblers fallacy. (See bolded part below) I suppose I could have been more explicit. Heck, you didn't even read the graph correctly. The x-axis is logarithmic. At 8192 encounters, the odds of having seen a shiny at least once is only 63%, not 100%. Your odds never even reach 100%. After 100K tries though, the odds that at least one of those is shiny is better than 99.999%. It's basically common sense. The more times you try, the better your chances are at (eventually) getting lucky.

This is a chart relating # of encounters versus the probability that at least one of those encounters is a shiny.

cim

LOL. I am not a victim of the gamblers fallacy. (See bolded part below) I suppose I could have been more explicit. Heck, you didn't even read the graph correctly. The x-axis is logarithmic. At 8192 encounters, the odds of having seen a shiny at least once is only 63%, not 100%. Your odds never even reach 100%. After 100K tries though, the odds that at least one of those is shiny is better than 99.999%. It's basically common sense. The more times you try, the better your chances are at (eventually) getting lucky.

Ah. I must have been on graph-altering drugs last night. My bad.

After 200+ hours of play in diamond specifically looking for shinies and not finding any, I turned to sapphire just for a change, within 30 minutes I caught an adament shiny zigzagoon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)