Sigilyph

... read this page again? There are people discussing a PHazing set only two posts above yours, you know. :) Speaking of which...
Were those there when I posted? Probably. I get pseudo-dylexic sometimes and read stuff but don't actually read it at the same time.

Anway, I'm thinking UU for this poor fellow. After some Cosmic Powers he'll be a monster, but in OU I doubt he would be able to set them up and little Shinboraa would be too frail. But in UU I can see him as a star...

its a shame it doesnt get magic coat or it would be truly freaking awesome

even still it looks really nice, im thinking about running one on my next team when i get bored of my current one

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Shinpora's niche in OU would probably be countering Fighting-types in general, since Roopushin, Zuzuriken, Machamp, and Breloom dominate because of set up. Breloom particularly will probably sweep your team if you don't have a solid counter to its Spore + Swords Dance set. Bullet Seed, at the very least, is ridiculously powerful, so at least Shinpora can take Fighting-type moves and Roost off the damage.

Keep in mind that Shinpora can also act as a stallbreaker, though it will probably fall to weather teams like any unprepared standard team would be.

Been using a physically bulky set and laddering with it on the smogon server.
Well lets just say it speaks for itself.

No seriously this thing is a beast, I underestimated how Godly this thing is despite whatever bad points it has. A set that has: 236Hp / 252 Def and 20 Sp.Def using the Psycho Shift moveset (I use ice beam over light screen or whatever) Owns.
Counters non-Stone edge breloom and counters Cripples TTar, Dory and garchomp like hell. Everyone seems to throw physical attackers at its mercy and only end up getting screwed in the long run.

EDIT: I noticed stored power and assist power were like the same thing so I feel dumb -.-
I was recommended this, it seems good.

Magic Guard w/ Flame Orb
Timid: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Psycho Shift
Cosmic Power
Stored Power
Roost

Shinpora's niche in OU would probably be countering Fighting-types in general, since Roopushin, Zuzuriken, Machamp, and Breloom dominate because of set up. Breloom particularly will probably sweep your team if you don't have a solid counter to its Spore + Swords Dance set. Bullet Seed, at the very least, is ridiculously powerful, so at least Shinpora can take Fighting-type moves and Roost off the damage.

Keep in mind that Shinpora can also act as a stallbreaker, though it will probably fall to weather teams like any unprepared standard team would be.
Translation for people who missed out on the Japanese names:

Shinpora: Sigilyph (I was fairly certian it was called "Symboler"... oh well!)
Roopushin: Conkeldurr
Zururiken: Scrafty

I'm sure you don't need a SOLID counter to it. Once it uses up the sleep clause its a lot easier to kill. Just send out a ghost or something that resists both of its STAB.

Translation for people who missed out on the Japanese names:

Shinpora: Sigilyph (I was fairly certian it was called "Symboler"... oh well!)
Roopushin: Conkeldurr
Zururiken: Scrafty

I'm sure you don't need a SOLID counter to it. Once it uses up the sleep clause its a lot easier to kill. Just send out a ghost or something that resists both of its STAB.
In Random Matchup, if you're slower than Breloom and don't have Insomnia/Vital Spirit and a priority move/SE multi-hit move, then it's pretty much good game.

Is it just me or does Stored Power seem really lacking even at +6 in both defences? Doesn't even OHKO a Vaporeon.

And since it starts off at 20 base power, it can't kill Breloom or set up fast enough to avoid being beaten down by repeated Bullet Seeds, or at least from my experience on the PBC server. Otherwise the standard support set works wonders on stall.

Is it just me or does Stored Power seem really lacking even at +6 in both defences? Doesn't even OHKO a Vaporeon.

And since it starts off at 20 base power, it can't kill Breloom or set up fast enough to avoid being beaten down by repeated Bullet Seeds, or at least from my experience on the PBC server. Otherwise the standard support set works wonders on stall.
Doesn't work well for me on Random Matchup because the opponent just D/C's when they're doing nearly nothing to it and see me get to +6 Def/SpD

I think the idea is that Psycho Shift Burn will cover weak defenses, whilst Calm Mind will cover Special Defenses. Then the Special Attack boost means Stored Power hits like a truck.
Using Cosmic Power seems to be just asking for that Stone Edge crit.

I think the idea is that Psycho Shift Burn will cover weak defenses, whilst Calm Mind will cover Special Defenses. Then the Special Attack boost means Stored Power hits like a truck.
After a Cosmic Power, TTar still brings me down to low red by using Stone Edge even with 252 HP EV's.

I was thinking of a Sub+LO version of the AP+CP set:

Shinboraa @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 87 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Cosmic Power
- Assist Power
- Roost
- Substitute

CP+AP and Roost stay unchanged, and Substitute takes the 4th slot. Sub allows Shinboraa to block sleep/paralysis, both of which can give Shinboraa problems it CAN be fully paralyzed). Sub also blocks crits, flinches (are those affected by Magic Guard?), etc. LO gives Shinboraa power to sweep (now that it has no SpA EVs), not to mention that Shinboraa takes no damage from LO recoil thanks to Magic Guard. The EVs in the defenses make the Subs bulky enough to take powerful hits. (I haven't actually tested this set, though ... hopefully the Subs can live Stone Edges and the like.)
I don't know if this is better than the Psycho Shift version, but it has advantages over it.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I saw one of these things carrying Ice beam simply because the user hated Gliscor THAT much.

That being said, the sub set looks very tempting and very worth it. The lack of being able to psycho shift burn seems like a bit of an issue though, but honestly, meh. All dark types need to be eliminated in order to use the set anyway. Using the sub set simply means that you won't be able to burn them.

You could also go with psycho shift+calm mind as mentioned earlier. The big problem with doing so is that you'll get killed without cosmic power.

The trouble with a lot of these movesets is 4-slot move syndrome, as well as item choice. Running only Stored Power for offense means that no matter how many boosts it has under its belt, Darks and Steels are still going to come in and ruin the party. And running Flame Orb or LO means you NEED Roost for recovery, further limiting its moveslots.

It would definitely need some fine tuning/ counters removed before it could be a threat, or at least the CM/Psycho shift/ Stored Power variant anyway. It makes a great utility counter to fighters as is.

The trouble with a lot of these movesets is 4-slot move syndrome, as well as item choice. Running only Stored Power for offense means that no matter how many boosts it has under its belt, Darks and Steels are still going to come in and ruin the party. And running Flame Orb or LO means you NEED Roost for recovery, further limiting its moveslots.

It would definitely need some fine tuning/ counters removed before it could be a threat, or at least the CM/Psycho shift/ Stored Power variant anyway. It makes a great utility counter to fighters as is.

Sigilyph can easily just keep using Cosmic Power until its at +6 +6, then start hitting Steels with Stored Power. The only Steel-types who can stand up to it are Jirachi and Bisharp, and the latter only because he's also part Dark-type. And why would Flame Orb or LO cause Sigliyph to run Roost? Sigilyph has Magic Guard, so he doesn't have to worry about either of them. Roost is still needed, but not for that reason.

Sigilyph can easily just keep using Cosmic Power until its at +6 +6, then start hitting Steels with Stored Power. The only Steel-types who can stand up to it are Jirachi and Bisharp, and the latter only because he's also part Dark-type. And why would Flame Orb or LO cause Sigliyph to run Roost? Sigilyph has Magic Guard, so he doesn't have to worry about either of them. Roost is still needed, but not for that reason.
First of all, Sigilyph will rarely, like all set up sweepers, get the chance to get to +6/+6 before a Dark or Steel comes in. It'l more likely get to +2/+2, maybe +3/+3 before it has to start attacking, which many more steels can stand up to. Secondly, because Flame Orb/ LO means Sigilyph is forgoing Leftovers, which is why it needs Roost. Without either FO/LO Sigilyph could maybe get away without Roost, but for the reasons above it needs it due to not using leftovers.

In regards to Dark types not part Steel/Poison/Flying/Levitate, Toxic Spikes should handle them, so Stored Power can still be useful...

Also, Honchkrow and Drapion aren't common at all, leaving the Dragon/Dark with Levitate, and Bisharp the Steel / Dark.

Miracle Eye can take care of Dark-types, though of course that would be a waste of a moveslot in most cases. Maybe if Garchomp is annoying you that much it would be viable.

First of all, Sigilyph will rarely, like all set up sweepers, get the chance to get to +6/+6 before a Dark or Steel comes in. It'l more likely get to +2/+2, maybe +3/+3 before it has to start attacking, which many more steels can stand up to. Secondly, because Flame Orb/ LO means Sigilyph is forgoing Leftovers, which is why it needs Roost. Without either FO/LO Sigilyph could maybe get away without Roost, but for the reasons above it needs it due to not using leftovers.

How could Sigilyph get away without Roost with Leftovers? Leftovers is not enough healing to allow it to boost up with Cosmic Power. And why does it matter if a Steel comes in before Sigilyph gets +6 +6? He can get the rest of those Cosmic Powers against that Steel-type, sans Jirachi and Bisharp, or even burn them to give it an even easier time with setting up. I also never assumed that Sigilyph would get +6 +6 before a Steel came in, I only said he could pummel every single one sans Jirachi and Bisharp with it after setting up on them.

Well Stored Power is Psychic so you would also get the STAB off it, if you were to go for calm mind and not cosmic power it would do a bit of damage. Even if it doesn't do too much damage take note that they are burned and with roost and 252 HP EVs you could stall them out when using cosmic power.

Just fyi, I tested this ingame and I'm pretty sure Wonder Skin makes moves like Taunt 50% less accurate too. I guess that's still inferior but I hadn't seen it mentioned.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Personally I'd say that the following set is the most threatening:

Sigilyph (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Stored Power
- Psycho Shift

Between maxed HP / Def, Calm Mind, and the ability to burn the opponent at will, this thing is nasty to face. I've both faced it and used it, and the only thing that really genuinely beats it is Shed Skin Scrafty or bringing in a powerful special attacker like Thundurus or Latios before it can get enough CMs in.

I used to run Psycho Shift (Flame Orb) / Cosmic Power / Roost / Stored Power. It's amazing but eww, Tyranitar switches in and it's done. So I switched Flame Orb for Life Orb and Psycho Shift for HP Fighting.
The new set did much better.

In that one particular instance it did better. The set in the post above you is better for nearly everything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)