Silvally-Water [QC 1/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
1516320122660.png

[OVERVIEW]

* Silvally-Water is a valuable Defogger to balance teams thanks to its ability to threaten most hazard setters, such as Druddigon, Steelix, Piloswine, and Rhydon.
* Silvally-Water can utilize different support options alongside Defog, like Parting Shot and Toxic, which makes it very effective in supporting its team.
* It also boasts good bulk and a brilliant defensive typing in Water, this allows it to effectively beat Pokemon like Emboar, Klinklang, and Piloswine.
* It is also relatively versatile as it can run a variety of moves, like Ice Beam and Flamethrower, which allows it to bypass Grass-types and Dragon- or Steel-types respectively.
* While Silvally-Water's typing brings a lot of resistances with it, it also brings a few notable weaknesses with it, especially to common Electric- and Grass-types like Heliolisk, Vikavolt, Whimsicott, Venusaur, and Virizion, though it does have coverage to deal with these Grass-types.
* Silvally-Water lacks any kind of reliable recovery and thus is prone to getting worn down by repeated attacks and status ailments like Toxic poison and burn.
* The fact that Silvally-Water has to hold a Water Memory means that it seriously lacks Leftovers recovery, which means that it gets worn down even faster, it does however help with Knock Off as it reduces Knock Off's damage output since it can't be removed.
* Silvally-Water is supposed to check Pokemon like Emboar and Delphox though it has to be wary as they can overwhelm it with their various coverage moves.

[SET]
name: Defog
move 1: Defog
move 2: Surf
move 3: Toxic / Ice Beam
move 4: Parting Shot
item: Water Memory
ability: RKS System
nature: Bold
evs: 232 HP / 136 Def / 140 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Silvally-Water's utility comes from Defog, Defog allows it to remove hazards from the field, and this is especially useful as Silvally-Water is capable of beating most hazard setters due to its bulk and typing.
* Surf is Silvally-Water's main STAB move that allows it to beat hazard setters like Steelix, Piloswine, and Rhydon, it's also useful for hitting the ever so present Fire-types.
* Silvally-Water use Toxic to cripple common Pokemon like Slowbro, Mega Audino, Braviary, and Slowking.
* Ice Beam allows Silvally-Water to deal with the many Grass-types in the tier, like Whimsicott, Venusaur, and Virizion, which may try to switch in on Silvally-Water for free; Ice Beam is also a useful tool against Dragon-types like Druddigon, Guzzlord, and Altaria, which resist Surf.
* Parting Shot lets Silvally-Water act as a pivot and lowers the foe's Attack and Special Attack by one stage, potentially allowing a teammate to set up on the foe.
* Lastly, Flamethrower is another option to use on Silvally-Water, similarly to Ice Beam it allows Silvally-Water to deal with Grass-types, but Flamethrower also allows it to deal with Klinklang and Dry Skin Heliolisk, which would otherwise wall it.

Set Details
========

* 232 HP investment in tandem with 136 Defense EVs and a Bold nature let Silvally-Water live an Expert Belt Emboar's Wild Charge into Sucker Punch after Stealth Rock damage.
* 140 Speed EVs allow Silvally-Water to outspeed Pokemon with base 80 Speed and a neutral nature like Mesprit, Venusaur, and Medicham.
* Water Memory turns Silvally into Silvally-Water thanks to RKS System.
* RKS System is Silvally-Water's only ability and allows it to change its typing depending on what memory it's holding.

Usage Tips
========

* Silvally-Water should primarily be used to switch into Pokemon that are know for setting up hazards, such as Steelix, Druddigon, Rhydon, and Piloswine.
* It's also capable of pivoting into Pokemon like Emboar and Sneasel to scout what move they may use, or if they're Choice-locked at all.
* Parting Shot allows Silvally-Water to pivot around and keep momentum, which may warrant using it on offensively oriented teams.
* It's best to use Defog on hazard setters that Silvally-Water can beat, such as Steelix, Druddigon, Rhydon, and Piloswine; Defog can also be used on forced switches that Silvally-Water may force against Pokemon like choice-locked Delphox and Emboar.
* Try to avoid getting hit by any status-inducing moves, especially Toxic and Will-O-Wisp as Silvally-Water gets worn down relatively fast. Thunder Wave is still notable however as it means Silvally-Water can't outspeed Emboar.

Team Options
========

* Silvally-Water is a good fit on balance and bulky offense teams that are in need of a check to common hazard setters like Steelix, Piloswine, and Rhydon, a check to Fire-types like Emboar and Delphox, as well as a Klinklang check. Silvally-Water is also generally a good pivot that can easily gain momentum for its team.
* Delphox is one of the best teammates there is for Silvally-Water as it provides it with a semi-reliable way of recovering health for Silvally-Water through Wish. Delphox can also check Grass-types thanks to its Fire typing. In return Silvally-Water can scare Ground-types for Delphox as well as remove hazards.
* Cleric's like Mega Audino and Aromatisse are good teammates as they let Silvally-Water worry less about Toxic.
* Ice-type Pokemon like Sneasel and Vanilluxe appreciate the hazard removal Silvally-Water provides as they're susceptible to every hazard. Silvally-Water can also check Fire-types, which Sneasel and Vanilluxe invite in for free. In return, they can break through Grass-types that Silvally-Water struggles against
* Grass-types like Venusaur and Virizion check Heliolisk, which Silvally-Water can't do much against, unless it's running Flamethrower.
* Set up sweepers like Klinklang, Virizion, and Rhydon also appreciate the hazard removal that Silvally-Water provides as it means they can stay healthier for a longer time; they can also capitalize on Parting Shot, which may give them more set up opportunities.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Thunder Wave may be used in the slot of Ice Beam, Toxic, or Flamethrower, as it may be useful for some teams to slow down and cripple Pokemon like Klinklang and Zangoose. Silvally-Water can rarely run this however as the coverage from Ice Beam and Flamethrower and utility that Toxic provides are better, most of the time.
* Zen Headbutt may be used to always OHKO Toxicroak if Silvally-Water isn't a minus Attack nature, but it does see heavy competition for a moveslot.
* Silvally-Water is also capable of acting as a setup sweeper with Swords Dance, but this set is heavily eclipsed by other set up sweepers.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Wallbreakers**: Strong wallbreakers like Choice Specs Vanilluxe, Medicham, and Choice Band Passimian can easily overwhelm Silvally-Water thanks to their tremendous power, Silvally-Water also can't do much back to them due to their typing and bulk respectively.

**Status**: Silvally-Water lacks reliable recovery and is thus prone to getting worn down, especially by Toxic and Will-O-Wisp, which induce poison and a burn, respectively. Thunder Wave is also notable as being paralyzed means Silvally-Water can't outspeed Emboar.

**Heliolisk and Toxicroak**: Heliolisk and Toxicroak are immune to Silvally-Water's Surf and can either threaten it with their STAB move or set up on it respectively, they do, however, have to be wary of Flamethrower, though this is rather rare.

**Type: Null**: Type: Null has the bulk that is required to wall Silvally-Water and can set up in its face thanks to Rest, which makes it pseudo-immune to Toxic.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
When you mention recovery in the overview, make sure to highlight that Silvally also lacks Leftovers recovery, which seriously eats into its percieved bulk when dealing with anything besides KOff. Speaking of KOff, you should mention how this psuedo-resistance allows it to handle Sneasel with much more ease than it would otherwise in the bullet point about its typing.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Hey man, this looks good, but I have a few changes to propose. Ever since Venusaur dropped to NU, I've personally been using this spread (well, set, but focus on the spread):

Silvally-Water @ Water Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 232 HP / 136 Def / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Surf
- Toxic / Ice Beam
- Parting Shot

This is similar to your spread, but instead of just investing to outrun +Speed Expert Belt or Z Emboar and neutral nature SD Samurott, it also lets you outrun neutral nature base 80s (Mesprit, Venusaur, and Medicham), 78s (Vanilluxe), and 77s (Raticate-Alola) while also getting +Speed Samurott and Ludicolo -- you hit the 263 Speed stat. On top of this, Silvally-Water also maintains almost the same Defensive bulk as it runs enough EVs to hit the jump point, taking some out of HP. This is relevant because it allows you to still survive the following combination from Jolly Expert Belt Emboar 100% of the time: Stealth Rock + Wild Charge + Sucker Punch. In addition, Superpower from Jolly Emboar, be it Scarf or Expert Belt, never does over 50% (caps off a bit under 48%), you survive Superpower + -1 Wild Charge from the aforementioned Expert Belt Emboar, and, finally, you live All Out Pummeling from Adamant or Jolly Emboar after Stealth Rock damage always. Oh right and CB Knock Off from Sneasel and Psyshock from any offensive Delphox still always do under 1/3, but they both 3HKO if you take any SR or prior damage pretty much. Personally, I would advise switching it to this spread for these reasons, unless the other QC object.

As for the moves on the set, I have my personal order of preference listed -- the only difference between my order and the OP as it stands is I front-slash Toxic. I think this should be the case because getting a Toxic off on something like Slowbro, Slowking, Mega Audino, etc. can be very important, especially if you do not have multiple means of breaking through these Pokemon offensively on your team. Ice Beam is nice as you can hit Grass types, but Silvally does not do enough to OHKO much and it is usually better to just Parting Shot if you predict those Pokemon to switch in or if you encounter them directly, in my experience. I am fine with it being slashed -- don't get me wrong. I just feel it is better being behind Toxic given the utility of that option.

In usage tips, try to add a point on how Parting Shot lets Silvally-Water function as a pivot, letting it work on more offensive based teams as it generates momentum. This move is really valuable on Silvally-Water and one of the main reasons it sees the usage it does, in my opinion, so emphasizing it in how it is used is worthwhile.

Same for team options -- I'd amend the first bullet to add the option of bulky-offense teams and just add a little bit about it being a good pivot.

Finally, add the prospect of using Zen Headbutt as a filler move/the attack in order to hit Toxicroak as it OHKOs 100% of the time if you are not -Atk and can prove to be a very valuable lure (to the OO).

1/3 with this, good work

Hey man, this looks good, but I have a few changes to propose. Ever since Venusaur dropped to NU, I've personally been using this spread (well, set, but focus on the spread):

Silvally-Water @ Water Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 232 HP / 136 Def / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Surf
- Toxic / Ice Beam
- Parting Shot

This is similar to your spread, but instead of just investing to outrun +Speed Expert Belt or Z Emboar and neutral nature SD Samurott, it also lets you outrun neutral nature base 80s (Mesprit, Venusaur, and Medicham), 78s (Vanilluxe), and 77s (Raticate-Alola) while also getting +Speed Samurott and Ludicolo -- you hit the 263 Speed stat. On top of this, Silvally-Water also maintains almost the same Defensive bulk as it runs enough EVs to hit the jump point, taking some out of HP. This is relevant because it allows you to still survive the following combination from Jolly Expert Belt Emboar 100% of the time: Stealth Rock + Wild Charge + Sucker Punch. In addition, Superpower from Jolly Emboar, be it Scarf or Expert Belt, never does over 50% (caps off a bit under 48%), you survive Superpower + -1 Wild Charge from the aforementioned Expert Belt Emboar, and, finally, you live All Out Pummeling from Adamant or Jolly Emboar after Stealth Rock damage always. Oh right and CB Knock Off from Sneasel and Psyshock from any offensive Delphox still always do under 1/3, but they both 3HKO if you take any SR or prior damage pretty much. Personally, I would advise switching it to this spread for these reasons, unless the other QC object.

As for the moves on the set, I have my personal order of preference listed -- the only difference between my order and the OP as it stands is I front-slash Toxic. I think this should be the case because getting a Toxic off on something like Slowbro, Slowking, Mega Audino, etc. can be very important, especially if you do not have multiple means of breaking through these Pokemon offensively on your team. Ice Beam is nice as you can hit Grass types, but Silvally does not do enough to OHKO much and it is usually better to just Parting Shot if you predict those Pokemon to switch in or if you encounter them directly, in my experience. I am fine with it being slashed -- don't get me wrong. I just feel it is better being behind Toxic given the utility of that option.

In usage tips, try to add a point on how Parting Shot lets Silvally-Water function as a pivot, letting it work on more offensive based teams as it generates momentum. This move is really valuable on Silvally-Water and one of the main reasons it sees the usage it does, in my opinion, so emphasizing it in how it is used is worthwhile.

Same for team options -- I'd amend the first bullet to add the option of bulky-offense teams and just add a little bit about it being a good pivot.

Finally, add the prospect of using Zen Headbutt as a filler move/the attack in order to hit Toxicroak as it OHKOs 100% of the time if you are not -Atk and can prove to be a very valuable lure (to the OO).

1/3 with this, good work
implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)