Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

What's the best team archetype at the moment for getting through the 1600s on the ladder? (HO, stall, Balance, etc) I'm dancing around this mark atm cause it's about as far as this OTR team can take me I feel, or is it just a case of git gud.

What's the best team archetype at the moment for getting through the 1600s on the ladder? (HO, stall, Balance, etc) I'm dancing around this mark atm cause it's about as far as this OTR team can take me I feel, or is it just a case of git gud.
There really isn't a "best team archetype", it's just whatever you prefer using, though i have noticed that balance, bulky offense, (KOKOLUCHA) offense and rain are really consistent around 1600's, but an OTR team should do fine too I think.

1. Balance
2. Bulky Offense
3. Stall
4. Hyper Offense

( ( ( O P I N I O N A T E D ) ) )

Just use HO on the low ladder because they won’t know how to handle it and use really fat stall and balance on the high ladder to protect your rank

Last edited:

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
As was said, there's certainly no "best archetype" but I recommend using things like spikes HO for the low ladder and balance and bulky offense for the higher ladder. Stall may work as well, but players do know how to break through it in the higher ladder, so I would recommend using balance or bulky offense. It should also be known that using stall on the ladder may result in extremely long battles (stall vs stall), and unfortunately, you will likely get many mean comments by players who don't recognize stall as a legitimate play style. Most importantly, however, use what you enjoy using most! Good luck :D

Always wondered- why has bulldoze never been used on Azumarill?
Because it doesn't target anything that it can't break otherwise, for example, a +6 Aqua Jet can OHKO Tapu Koko with ease, leaving no need for Bulldoze. It's also simply too slow to successfully use Bulldoze against any Electric-type.
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 364-429 (129.5 - 152.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Knock for utility/base form power or night slash for z power on darkium kart?
Night Slash only has 5 more BP than Knock Off without the item boost anyway. In my opinion Knock Off is pretty much mandatory on any team at the moment, so many mons rely on Choice/AV/Leftovers to function.

Knock for utility/base form power or night slash for z power on darkium kart?
Knock off is generally more useful since knocking off items from threatening mons is generally considered a better thing than having slightly more damage and a higher crit ratio
Also the difference between the two is 5 BP, and the difference in power is offset by the removal of the item in some cases like Chansey

Edit: Ninja'd by a second

Where can I read some description about the USM sample teams?
That thread doesn't have explanations as far as I can tell unfortunately.
The old Sun and Moon sample teams and the USM Bazaar threads have plenty of sample teams with explanations. I would work from the latest page going backwards though, obviously some teams are very outdated.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-ou-sample-teams.3606650/

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ultra-sm-ou-bazaar.3587317/page-26

Why is Tpex the only bulky water above B rank? Is it because it's outclassing everything or is bulky waters not that good now, but Tpex still manages to reach that high because it's so good?

This thread is outdated(considering the last team posted was early November of last year); the new thread just went up today. There aren't any explanations for now, and the past thread didn't have any explanation, so I'd assume most of the teams that would be added solely by Finchinator would follow the same precedent, but all users that post teams in the thread(bar those that organise the thread) will have to have an explanation as to why their teams belong on the thread and how it reflects the current metagame trends, so expect those posts to have explanations once the thread is unlocked.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
OUPL Champion
Why is Tpex the only bulky water above B rank? Is it because it's outclassing everything or is bulky waters not that good now, but Tpex still manages to reach that high because it's so good?
It outclasses many of the others, and has many qualities that are looked for in bulky mons: reliable recovery, can set up tspikes/wear down the opposing team with toxic, and has an amazing ability.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
OUPL Champion
This thread is outdated(considering the last team posted was early November of last year); the new thread just went up today. There aren't any explanations for now, and the past thread didn't have any explanation, so I'd assume most of the teams that would be added solely by Finchinator would follow the same precedent, but all users that post teams in the thread(bar those that organise the thread) will have to have an explanation as to why their teams belong on the thread and how it reflects the current metagame trends, so expect those posts to have explanations once the thread is unlocked.
Oh, mb, forget what I said

It outclasses many of the others, and has many qualities that are looked for in bulky mons: reliable recovery, can set up tspikes/wear down the opposing team with toxic, and has an amazing ability.
I understand why it's good. What I'm wondering is why no other bulky water type is even being used? Does Tpex outclass them that much? I'm talking about stuff like Alomomola for instance.

i.e. is it so good that it's strength outshines its weaknesses to psychic/ground attacks that other water types just cant compete with it?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I understand why it's good. What I'm wondering is why no other bulky water type is even being used? Does Tpex outclass them that much? I'm talking about stuff like Alomomola for instance.

i.e. is it so good that it's strength outshines its weaknesses to psychic/ground attacks that other water types just cant compete with it?
Toxapex is a bit easier to squeeze into teams. It also has some things over Alomomola such as significantly better special bulk (important for Ash-Gren locked onto Water-type moves), Regenerator to keep itself healthy, and immunity + absorber of Toxic Spikes. From there the other bulky Waters are only used in some following circumstances:

- Alomomola in bulkier / stall teams due to Wish passing.
- Mantine for Defog
- Gastrodon for Electric-type immunity
- Suicune for bulky setup

Toxapex naturally is a much easier choice on a plethora of teams since it outclassed the majority of bulky Water-types barring the above instances and reasons.

Reactions: BM
Other Bulky waters definitely have some merit too.

-Toxapex can set Toxic Spikes, scald, remove toxic spikes, haze, knock off and never dies because of regenerator+recover (can also infestation trap)
-Mantine can defog, scald and haze, is immune to spikes/tspikes and has reliable recovery in roost
-Fini can defog, stallbreak and has great speed. (Can also whirlwind trap)
- rotom can defog, spread will-o-wisp and thunder wave and bring momentum with volt Switch
-suicune can set up with CM and PP stall and has utility in scald and great speed
-alomomola can knock off, scald, toxic and wishpass, never dies because of regen
-gastrodon can take on koko, spread scald burns and toxics, can set up with curse and has reliable recovery in recover
-PerishTrap Azu can wall a huge chunk of the meta (thanks to grass fairy+sap supper) while also trapping things, pressuring stall and providing scald and knock off utility.
-Mega Slowbro is extremely physically bulky, one of the few medicham checks, spreads scald burns, can set up with cm and iron defense, had regenerator pre evolving and is immune to crits after and has great special attack and coverage (Scald, Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Psyshock)
-Slowking is super niche but is super bulky specially with AV, can keep itself healthy with regen, can phase with dragon tail, spread scald burns and has the same great coverage as Slowbro
-Quagsire doesn’t actually resist water but is great at stopping a lot of physical set up mons with unaware, curse and scald and checks Koko and heatran.
-Defensive Pelipper is only useful on rain teams but it can keep the rain up for 8 turns, scald burn, knock off, defog, uturn, keep itself healthy with roost and is immune to spikes/tspikes
-other things like seismatoad, swampert, tentacruel and starmie aren’t really viable as bulky waters in OU despite how good they are in UU.

However, overall toxapex is by far the best bulky water due to 2 forms of reliable recovery+insane amounts of utility(scald, toxic, haze, toxic spikes, knock off, infestation)+Toxic spike removal+fantastic bulk on both sides+great defensive typing+easily splashable on literally anything that isn’t Hyper Offense.

Last edited:

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
OUPL Champion
Mainly other than its hindering ground weakness, :thapex: has a fantastic combination of almost all the elements desired in a model/ideal bulky mon Askeia

To try to answer your question more directly, of course other bulky waters ARE used, but pex is indeed normally the better choice which does contribute to the others’ low viability ranking. And keep in mind that it’s poison secondary typing is more of a benefit than a drawback - it gains resistances to bug, fairy, fighting, and poison, and gains a neutrality to grass. Fair exchange for two additional weaknesses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)