Project Ultra SM Break This Team - WK 48 SKEs tail glow manaphy Rain (Voting)

Apologies for absence. Been a hell of a week which is still not over for me. (Adult stuff sucks all im gonna say) and no blace wasn't rejected that was an error on my part I'll fix it and give my vote to it and extend voting by a day to account for it.

My votes go to taunt blacephon and keldeo as there not only the best mons for breaking the team there both easily fitted into made modern team's.

On that just letting everyone know the next team will possibly be last for sumo as sword/shield come out soon and before anyone asks I'm undecided if im continueing stewardship of this project into gen 8.

Last edited:
Since nobody else has voted and my week from hell has finally come to an end I'm going to close down voting and set up the next team stolen from the RMT showcase. Congradulations to Lando-San for stealing the win by a single vote with your Taunt keldeo Nomination which lets face it rips the team to shreds. I'll add you to the archive when I do the update

Voting:
Tapu Koko + Kartana - 0
Taunt/Calm Mind Keldeo - 4
Taunt blacephon - 0
Thundorous T - 0
Gyarados - 0
Mega Heracross - 3
Tapu Fini - 0

This weeks will be an offensive one after the last few teams were relatively defensive . Manaphy rain stolen from the Team showcase here with credits going to Ske for making a team great enough to reach the showcase. With Sumo nearing its end rain has made a bit of a comeback and Manaphy is a monster that breaks apart teams especially balance not immediately prepared for it.

Sets
Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Super Power

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Scald
- Roost

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Psychic
- Rest

Ferrothorn @ Figy Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Power Whip

Tornadus-Therian Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Uturn
- Defog

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Explanation:
A rain team built around the idea of Spaming water moves to break past common checks. With no less then 4 water moves plus a Wateriam Tail glow manaphy the team does so aptly qualifying for OLT 8 times as a result. The team is built around manaphy and getting her into a position to strike through weakened teams once checks bulky checks like gastrodon and unaware clef have been dealt with. It also packs psychic to lure venu. Pelipper Needs no explanation as the rain setter while Swampert use's its sheer bulk and power to rip through mons like chansey. Ash-Greninja rounds out the water slots with prioty and spikes. Torn T helps check bulky grass types, Defogs and annoys with knock off while Ferrothron rounds out the team checking opposing water types that may stand in the way whilst setting rocks, also knocking off and just being a general nuisance.

Overall a very solid team and surprisingly wellrounded. For better explanations go here as theres a lot more to the team and other options you can use for those interested. Can you guys find a weakness. I'll give high fives to anyone who can be creative without using the original threatlist but you can go ahead and use them if you want.

Good luck this week. You may nominate 1 pokemon or a core of 2 that break this team. Please take the water spam into account when nominating.

Goodluck Nominations will end sometime next week.

Once again credits to Ske

Last edited:
So, we don't *have* to be creative? Lol

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Protect

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Spite
- Recover
- Block

Where have I seen this before? :blobthinking:

Anyway, Pyukumuku walls and pp stalls Manaphy. After that, once Swampert or Pelipper is dealt with, Sableye can slowly work its way to a sweep. Without rain, Swampert fails to 2HKO Sableye. You can use protect to scout for Greninja's move when it attacks, and waste rain turns. Eventually it'll run out of pumps, or you'll get enough boosts for it to not matter (e.g if they use dark pulse on a boosted Sableye instead of hydro pump, they won't be able to break, and they have to switch out to switch moves). There is the risk of flinches from dark pulse, confusion from hurricane, and flinches from waterfall, but the MU is still really good.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:dp/shedinja: :dp/sableye:
Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Protect

Together these two wall the entire team, with only a little bit of trouble against Tornadus-T and Ash-Greninja. The former lacks investment and can easily be managed by Sableye, but can be U-turned on and subject to Hurricane confusion. The latter is the reason both carry Protect; easily scouting for the locked move can leave brainless players with headaches. Even so, it can set Spikes on Shedinja, so keep your defogger intact. Otherwise, Shed eats Pert and Mana while Sableye slaps Pelipper and bounces Ferro back, even speed creeping past it so Power Whip is a non issue. Pair these two with a Defogger, like all stall teams.

Last edited:

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 84 HP / 248 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Naturally, not having rain up is going to be a detriment to any rain team, but having sun up is even worse, which allows swampert, manaphy, and in some cases gren to just get solar beamed to death. Which is to say nothing of bulu's massive banded wood hammer annihilating swampert even if it gets hit with a scald burn, as well as its potential to stone edge pelipper before that can even happen. Even if the opponent predicts that and goes to ferrothorn on bulu's edge/grass STABs, that gives you a free switch to Zard Y. And we all know how useless hurricane is in the sun.

Since this is a rather prediction reliant matchup, I'd recommend some volt-turn support from, say, AV magearna or Rotom-W to ease the prediction, although you can still win with just these two. Be wary of pelipper switching in on zard y, as those two have a similar dynamic to kyogre and groudon in ubers in that whichever mon switches in to the other first has the weather advantage.

Last edited:

NG Spencer

Banned deucer.
Sableye-Mega (F) @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Recover

Mantine (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Defog
- Roost

Sableye keeps rocks off vs ferrothorn while mantine keeps spikes off vs ash gren, little that manaphy rain can really do as these two are usually accompanied by 4 other fatmons on hardstall and their main breakers are shut down by mantine and they cant even get up hazards to make doubles attempting to chip you.

Sableye-Mega (F) @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Recover

Mantine (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Defog
- Roost

Sableye keeps rocks off vs ferrothorn while mantine keeps spikes off vs ash gren, little that manaphy rain can really do as these two are usually accompanied by 4 other fatmons on hardstall and their main breakers are shut down by mantine and they cant even get up hazards to make doubles attempting to chip you.
What does Sableye's EV spread aim to achieve? By the way, the recommended EV spread for Mantine is 252 / 36 / 220

SpD Tapu Bulu + Mega Heracross
1571594419854.png
1571594448922.png

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Substitute / Swords Dance

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Swords Dance
- Protect
252+ Atk Heracross-Mega Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 390-470 (96.7 - 116.6%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Heracross-Mega Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Ferrothorn: 444-524 (126.4 - 149.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Heracross-Mega Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja-Ash: 275-325 (96.4 - 114%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Heracross-Mega Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 280-340 (86.6 - 105.2%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Heracross-Mega Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-Therian: 480-570 (132.9 - 157.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
With grassy terrain up it's even more mindless.
Mera hera is just really nice anti-meta pokemon in general. Gets a sub on ferro and wins the game on the spot. Take a hit from Manaphy and swampert under rain and outspeed the former. Bulu beats everything here 1v1, and can hard switch on Swampert and Greninja. You can protect to waste rain/PP/z-move. All you need is support to take hurricane or sets rock. Heatran or Ttar is really easy partner.

Sample Team:
https://pokepast.es/9d1046c6583c2b66

Just a reminder to post your nominations if you haven't done so already As I'll be setting up voting either tomorrow or Thursday.

Really liked whats been picked so far so I'm hoping for one more interesting nomination or two.

Time for nominations are over. It is time to vote :). Bit of a difficult team to break but We have 5 good nominations that are well explained. Now to see who wins.

Nominations:
Sableye Mega + Pyukumuku
Shedinjna + Sableye Mega
Tapu Bulu + Charizard Y
Mantine + Sableye Mega
SPD Tapu Bulu + Mega Heracross

Voting will end sometime in the next few days. If anyone wants one more team before Sword and Shield drop PM me an Idea. You may vote for up to 2 Nominations excluding your own. Goodluck and have fun.

Quick update on matters before I conclude voting in the next halfday or so. First off with Gen 7 about to end and debates over how Gen 8 will be implemented I'll be putting Break this team on Hiatus for awhile once I end voting. I tried looking for one more team but with time short and everyone talking about Sword and Shield I figured the next few days would be rather quiet here.
On the matter of weather or not I'm sticking around (Yes I had someone ask me). I'll be on showdown and once things cool off and a meta is established either I or someone else will set up a new Break this team.

Finally because I'm a fantastic person and I didn't want to leave things unwraped I've updated the hall of Fame and Archive. Congrats to Slave Of Passion Jordy JTD783 Lando-San for entering the Archive with Your respective nominations during your respective weeks. In addition I would like to Congradulate Mannat for storming into the top of the Archive and entering the hall of Fame alongside Indigo and Akumeoy. Your only the 3rd person to do so and 4 of your of your entries were in the last 10 nomination periods. What a dominent performance.

Total Archive Tally
5 - Akumeoy, Mannat
4 - Indigo Plateau
3 -
2 - DK, Flame from Heaven, Givrex, MellowyellowHD, Counting Sheep, Finchinator
1 - AM, Aragorn the King, Martin, Curiosity, MultiAmmiratore, , pooyou123456789q, Creator of Chaos, Riddikulusness, Scarf Nihilego, Expert_Occultist, Vertex, Ramses, ThiccTornadus, Poison Adhesive, Mega Star Universe, DKM, 1_TrickPhony, Jordy, Egor, Slave of Passion, Jordy, JTD783, Lando San

Vote Gains since week 40
Finch + 1
Slave of Passion +1
LL/Mannat +4
JTD783 +1
Jordy/ThiccTornaudus + 1
Lando San +1

Anyway Voting on the final team will conclude in the next halfday. Can somebody new make the archive? we shall see

Last edited:
Well its time to wrap this up and bring a close to Gen 7s break this team. I would like to thank everyone who has participated in this thread be it as posters, voters or otherwise. I would like to thank the mods for giving me the opportunity to run this thread and for the flexibility they've granted me in doing so (This is especially appreciated) along with those who have contributed teams.
Finally I'd like to thank Random Passerby curiosity and VCrakeV for helping me to Co-run this thread at various times during the last 3 years, answer questions and ensure nominations were done correctly. Thank you everybody

With that its time to announce the last Winner of SUMOs break this team. Congratulations to Veez for finally making the archive on the last week with the SPD Tapu Bulu + Mega Heracross nomination which absolutely destroys the team with minimal outside support. Solaros & Lunaris and VCrakeV I know you guys tried constantly but none of your nominations ever seems to get up but thank you guys for your content nominations.

Vote Count
Sableye Mega + Pyukumuku 2
Shedinjna + Sableye Mega
Tapu Bulu + Charizard Y
Mantine + Sableye Mega 1
SPD Tapu Bulu + Mega Heracross - 4

Final Archive

Total Archive Tally

5 - Akumeoy, Mannat
4 - Indigo Plateau
3 -
2 - DK, Flame from Heaven, Givrex, MellowyellowHD, Counting Sheep, Finchinator, Jordy
1 - AM, Aragorn the King, Martin, Curiosity, MultiAmmiratore, , pooyou123456789q, Creator of Chaos, Riddikulusness, Scarf Nihilego, Expert_Occultist, Vertex, Ramses, Poison Adhesive, Mega Star Universe, DKM, 1_TrickPhony, , Egor, Slave of Passion, JTD783, Lando San, Veez.

Do I have any regrets? Yes I failed to make the hall of fame on my own damn thread and I could have posted more teams but being an adult can suck at times.

With that I consider this thread Closed. Tagging either TPP or Finchinator or for that matter any other mod who wish's to lock up this thread. Thank you once again and 'll see you all in gen 8 with more clefable t-wave action

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)