Hobbies Smogon Food & Cooking Thread 2

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
PXL_20230512_022353408.jpg

I had this sushi taco months ago which is like a nori shell stuffed with sashimi and rice and crunchy stuff and it had so much flavour and it was literally so good... mouthwatering stuff really. all kinds of sushi are pretty good though hard to go wrong with it, at least I've never had bad sushi haha.... good taste bossaru.

edit: didn't wanna post in the food thread I posted in a bossaru thread :( now my post looks weird and out of place

Last edited:
I've never had sushi before :v
Can't say I have either, but to be fair I don't like fish generally haha

Personally, I'm excited for fall this year because I have many many plans for new recipes. Specifically, I want to make small pumpkin spice dough balls with either persimmon or mayhaw jam filling along with traditional Cajun dishes like gumbo and meat pies!

Afaik there's a few vegan Dashi options out there, both pre-made and home-made. I don't have a great recommendation for any of them, as well, I'm not seafood allergic, but may be worth checking out. The only thing is that I think most of them end up using Kombu, so well, unsure if somehow kelp is an issue for you as well. I've certainly seen vegan dashi at my local asian market, and you can check amazon as well.
Okay so today I tried out making a ramen broth with kombu, miso paste and instead of seafood, I used dried black mushrooms. Delicious shit, packed to the brim with umami flavor

Theia

You love me for everything you hate me for
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead

Soup is one of my favorite things to make because I can just throw everything in the slow cooker in the morning when I leave for class and when I get back in the evening, there's soup. This is chicken noodle soup with a big heap of vegetables in it (carrots, celery, onions, spinach) for health or whatever.

I also made the bread myself! Yeast and I historically do not get along well but this one came out really well. I like to make bread whenever I get particularly stressed because kneading dough is on the healthier side of my potential energy outlets. This is the recipe I use to make bread, highly recommend it.

Theia

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead
72238729217__69FF9AD3-4596-40B6-BAA9-D8702B7F1F12.jpg

Double post but here we go.

Made a pork loin for the first time tonight because my roommate asked me to buy them a pork loin but what they actually meant was pork tenderloin, which is not the same thing, so we just had one laying around. There's weirdly few recipes out there for bone-in pork loins, but I came across this one and it served me well, though I didn't end up needing the last 30 minutes of cook time. The pork came out tender and thankfully didn't dry out.

Also made roasted okra with just a very light coating of olive oil and a bit of paprika/salt/garlic powder. The salad is mixed greens, red onions, goat cheese, black olives, pepperoncini peppers, and tomatoes. And I mashed potatoes, with the gravy on top being made from the onions and garlic that roasted with the pork as well as the juice from the pork itself put in the blender.
All in all, 10/10 would recommend but also double check that you're buying the intended cut of meat :smogduck:

Stay tuned for my triple post tomorrow when I show off the turkey currently marinating in my refrigerator.

Theia

User Safety Lead
Back by unpopular demand

IMG_0457.jpg

Here is the turkey that has been marinating in my fridge for the past week and here is the recipe I used to make it (cc dave). I've made this recipe several times and it always comes out perfectly. Highly recommend trying it out. I always add more sugar than what is called for, and hoisin sauce works just as well as chee hou sauce.

IMG_0458.jpg

French onion soup, because there is no occasion in which soup is a bad idea.

IMG_0459.jpg

Roasted potatoes, Chinese sticky rice with a fuck ton of mushrooms, cornbread stuffing, green bean casserole, and homemade rolls.

IMG_0460.jpg

Bourbon pecan pie, because pumpkin pie is overrated.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
20231123_144428.jpg

Here is the Cheeto turkey that I made today (still in the oven bag, didn't bother trying to plate it lol it was way too lopsided). Coated in olive oil, salt, pepper, herbs de Provence, cajun seasoning and blitzed Cheetos and Hot Cheetos.

Came out pretty good, but the skin was quite rubbery. This was also just a breast and not a whole turkey. Kinda roughshod but it was just me and the bf today so I'm still happy with it. Was actually not as dry as I was expecting. Would probably make it again haha

View attachment 573677

Here is the Cheeto turkey that I made today (still in the oven bag, didn't bother trying to plate it lol it was way too lopsided). Coated in olive oil, salt, pepper, herbs de Provence, cajun seasoning and blitzed Cheetos and Hot Cheetos.

Came out pretty good, but the skin was quite rubbery. This was also just a breast and not a whole turkey. Kinda roughshod but it was just me and the bf today so I'm still happy with it. Was actually not as dry as I was expecting. Would probably make it again haha
this is the most american thing i've ever seen rofl

I'm glad you enjoyed your meal but adding Cheetos and cajun on turkey is a hard pass for me. I've seen the videos, and i can never get over using cheetos as a breading. I think that sort of thing would be better suited for chicken pieces. I don't recommend putting breading on turkey, it's got really thick skin and it releases a lot of steam. The key to crispy skin is not covering the bird. IMO if you want crisp skin, leave the breast alone. Rub it with a bit of an oil (flavoured or not, your choice), season it, and apply a sauce after it rests from cooking. Balsamic cranberry vinaigrette with olive oil and garlic is a great and simple one, but you can't go wrong with gravy either. You could try peking-style barbeque (just be mindful this prep involves large volumes of boiling water), but in most cases it isn't worth getting overly complicated with turkey, which is a very overrated bird IMO.

Last edited:

Theia

User Safety Lead
There are few things more gratifying than cooking for other people who love to eat :psyglad:

the lighting in the kitchen is so bad

IMG_0476.jpg

Fajita steak w/ sauteed peppers and onions, Spanish rice, black beans, guacamole, salsa
Fajita Recipe
Black Beans Recipe

IMG_0478.jpg

Chicken wings, cucumber salad, onion rings and spicy garlic aioli
Onion Rings Recipe

IMG_0479.jpg

Christmas with the roomies! Ribs, mashed potatoes, macaroni, coleslaw, and collard greens (with enough bacon and ham hock in them to completely destroy any health value)
Collard Greens Recipe
Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Coleslaw Recipe

Just about everything is completely homemade, I attached a couple of the recipes that I still had on hand, been a busy time in the kitchen (which is a pain because the kitchen does not have enough room for all of my nonsense)

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
agree with the above post, nothing beats cooking for people who appreciate it :) if you're having holiday meals soon make sure to thank whoever's cooking it also stay out of our way in the kitchen

we had our big christmas dinner yesterday and I prepared and cooked just about everything here, i didn't follow any exact recipes (i prefer cooking with my senses) but i'm willing to approximate my recipes best as i can if anyone is interested :psyglad: first time cooking an entire holiday meal so not everything came out picture perfect but ultimately happy with this

this is two quartered lamb legs, seared on the grill then roasted cooked atop that stuffing on the grill until they hit medium on one side and medium rare on the other. came out perfectly, but the stuffing burnt a bit at the bottom :(

I don't think I need to explain ham to everyone here; this was cooked with a maple/dijon/orange glaze and a intentionally a little overdone since i made a sauce with the drippings (unfortunately no picture :blobsad:), plated on top of some parsley just for the instagram photos

this mac and cheese had cheddar, gouda, havarti and a bit of parmasean, toasted some bread crumbs for anyone who wanted that crunch. yes it was awesome. yes i need to go for a 10 minute run after eating this

the candied sweet potatoes didn't look all that pretty but made up for it by being fire, cumin is an underrated christmas spice and goes great with maple for these. wish i cooked these at 400 for better browning but they were still pretty great

this is a brussels sprout salad with a pretty simple lemon/olive oil/dijon/honey dressing, not breaking any new ground here but its super refreshing alongside such rich meat and sides

happy holidays everyone, go and eat some good food :psyglad: even if you don't celebrate or you're not going with family/friends, i hope everyone has a good time these next few days

Theia

User Safety Lead
I am back with MORE SOUP

Lamb stew because I, through various circumstances, acquired lamb bones and I am obsessed with making stock out of every bone that appears in my kitchen. And Irish soda bread, because you cannot have soup without bread. Those are the rules, I do not make the rules. Shoutout to Irish soda bread for not using yeast and being obscenely easy to make.

Recipes:
Soup
Bread

Made a beer cheese for some frozen soft pretzels I had using the sodium citrate trick with lemon juice and baking soda and it was absolutely revelatory. All that was in it was lemon juice, baking soda, colby jack cheese, and some Asahi and it was stunningly smooth. Will definitely experiment more with this in the future with different seasonings and cheeses. Using lemon juice is weird though because even though the acid gets neutralized the lemon flavor/scent still remains, which can be off-putting. I guess that's why people would use just the straight up sodium citrate from like a chemical supply store, since it presumably doesn't have a flavor. A lemon pepper chicken mac and cheese sounds like it would be heat though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)