Smogon Fantasy Basketball '15-'16

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
We've been a bit slow in getting this up and running this year, so I thought I'd go ahead and start the thread.

Mizuno are you planning to renew our keeper league this year?

Aside from that one, is anyone else interested in getting some leagues up and running? I'd be down for roto or H2H (or both, can never get enough fantasy).

Also I did a public league draft yesterday to try and get my feet wet, as I have two high stakes money league drafts coming up in the next few days. Here's the team I ended up with (I dropped Alec Burks immediately for Meyers Leonard about 2 minutes after the draft, it just hasn't processed yet). It's H2H where you get 1 win as long as you end up winning the most categories, so I ended up punting assists and FG% to an extent to build a team that is dominant in 3's, blocks, steals and FT% and competitive in points and rebounds.

fantasy team 1.png

Meyers Leonard was actually the only player to go 50/40/90 last year (just didn't have enough minutes to qualify), so I'd prefer him over Burks to further fortify my 3's and FT% while actually contributing a bit to boards and blocks.

I think Mizuno is league manager of both the keeper and redraft leagues, so unless someone else wants to step up and start something then we're waiting on him

Pretty solid team, tho I'll give you a heads up right now: we're gonna be battling for some of those players on that roster in our keeper Stall lol

Wow, I'm really rusty remembering my old passwords. I'm down for the keeper league just to keep the tradition going. But last year I had a hard time managing all the teams I had. So i will be dropping out of the second league we had "Smogon Fantasy Basketball 2".

I also need a refresher on the keeper rules. :-)

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm with Ghost_Chill on refreshing keeper rules. Just need to make sure that I can't keep two players who are valued at first round value right?

If that's the case, then my keepers are Davis, Klay Thompson and Valanciunas.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I got an e-mail from somebody recently about renewing my Smogon Fantasy Basketball league. I'm down to re-up this year and take Stallion out again :)

Oops didn't notice this thread. Iirc it was the keeper league I was in last year and my interest just kinda died, so I don't think it would be a good idea if I continued again this year

I apologize for the delay, but the keeper league has been renewed! Anyone who participated last year should have an invite and can just go to the main Yahoo fantasy basketball page and click on "Accept Invite" for the league.

So far I am missing confirmation from 5 people (Chaser, darkie, VarunR, Dubulous, and I'm guessing Ortheore). I will try to follow up with them if they are returning, otherwise then look for replacements.

Keeper league rules:

1. Up to three players can be kept
  2. Keeping a player means giving up a draft round equal to the round the players was drafted last year (in our league) + 1.
    Example: John Wall was drafted 6th last year. Team X can keep him by giving up the 5th round pick this year.
  3. If keeping two or more players and they make it so that the same draft round is forfeited, then the additional player can be kept by giving up an additional higher round (so +2 for two, +3 for three...)
    Example: John Wall and Kyle Lowry were drafted in round 6 last year. Team X owns them both. They can be both kept by giving up the 5th round pick and 4th round pick this year.
  4. However, if two or more players make it so that the first round is forfeited, only one of them can be kept.
    Example: Team X has both Lebron James and Kevin Durant, which were drafted in the first round last year. Only one of them can be kept this year.
  5. A player can be kept by the same team for up to 2 years. If the players was a first round pick the year before, that player can only be kept 1 year (giving up the first round pick for the year being kept).
    Example: Team X drafted Lebron James last year in the 1st round. He can be kept again by giving up the first round pick, but cannot be kept next year by Team X.
Note: Last year's draft can be found here.

For returning teams: You can choose your keepers from the "Choose Keepers" section under "My Team". The deadline to choose keepers manually is Friday, October 23. This is to allow me time to approve keepers, make changes and give us flexibility on draft time. For this year, pay special attention to the last rule!

I currently have a tentative draft time of Saturday, October 24 8PM EST (-4 GMT). Sunday could be another option. I know this is soon, so we can also skip Week 1 and draft during that time.

As for the standard league, if there is interest I can renew it (I'd be down for roto this year!). Has one been created yet Stallion?

Last edited:

Unlucky Desperado

Banned deucer.
I would like to participate but idk what u guys are talking about and the only league I did was 2 years ago with a couple friends. Can someone refresh me on rules?

Stallion

Tree Young
I apologize for the delay, but the keeper league has been renewed! Anyone who participated last year should have an invite and can just go to the main Yahoo fantasy basketball page and click on "Accept Invite" for the league.

So far I am missing confirmation from 5 people (Chaser, darkie, VarunR, Dubulous, and I'm guessing Ortheore). I will try to follow up with them if they are returning, otherwise then look for replacements.

Keeper league rules:

1. Up to three players can be kept
  2. Keeping a player means giving up a draft round equal to the round the players was drafted last year (in our league) + 1.
    Example: John Wall was drafted 6th last year. Team X can keep him by giving up the 5th round pick this year.
  3. If keeping two or more players and they make it so that the same draft round is forfeited, then the additional player can be kept by giving up an additional higher round (so +2 for two, +3 for three...)
    Example: John Wall and Kyle Lowry were drafted in round 6 last year. Team X owns them both. They can be both kept by giving up the 5th round pick and 4th round pick this year.
  4. However, if two or more players make it so that the first round is forfeited, only one of them can be kept.
    Example: Team X has both Lebron James and Kevin Durant, which were drafted in the first round last year. Only one of them can be kept this year.
  5. A player can be kept by the same team for up to 2 years. If the players was a first round pick the year before, that player can only be kept 1 year (giving up the first round pick for the year being kept).
    Example: Team X drafted Lebron James last year in the 1st round. He can be kept again by giving up the first round pick, but cannot be kept next year by Team X.
Note: Last year's draft can be found here.

For returning teams: You can choose your keepers from the "Choose Keepers" section under "My Team". The deadline to choose keepers manually is Friday, October 23. This is to allow me time to approve keepers, make changes and give us flexibility on draft time. For this year, pay special attention to the last rule!

Like last year, draft order is based on standings. IIRC, we had agreed that the winner of the consolation playoffs would draft first.

I currently have a tentative draft time of Saturday, October 24 8PM EST (-4 GMT). Sunday could be another option. I know this is soon, so we can also skip Week 1 and draft during that time.

As for the standard league, if there is interest I can renew it (I'd be down for roto this year!). Has one been created yet Stallion?
1. Draft time works perfectly for me
2. You can only keep players for two years plus the year you drafted them right? Making them able to spend 3 years on a given roster. This might mean bye bye Anthony Davis, gotta double check the draft history :(.
3. I haven't created one yet but I would definitely be down for roto.

Shit, here I was thinking I had another year with Harden.

I thought we agreed draft order would be randomized? Anyway, guess I'll keep Wiggins for a 6th, and Gobert and Hassanity for my last two rounders. #AllTheYouth

I'm fine with the current draft time btw, let's just make sure we have a full league in time for the regular season

EDIT: If draft order is by standing then I'll keep Horford over Wiggins

I thought we agreed draft order would be randomized?
Gah, you are right! It is random.

Stallion, you can check all previous year stuff by going to the "All-time" tab in the league's main page (right under League Members). The page that opens should have a "Draft Results" link in the menu. And yes, you are right on the 'how long you can keep someone' rule.

Also, I just realized this is the league's 10th year! Can't believe how fast time flies.

Stallion

Tree Young
Even though I've owned Klay for his entire career in this league, I went digging through my draft history and saw that last year was the first year he was a keeper of mine - fuck yeah. With that being said, my keepers are the following players:

3rd round - Klay Thompson
5th round - Jonas Valanciunas
Last round (waivers) - Chandler Parsons

Don't mean to kill your vibe Stall, but don't the same rules apply to Parsons even if he was claimed off waivers? After all he was still drafted, likely in the middle rounds

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
Nah it's where you drafted them, in every other fantasy league I've played, guys off waivers have been last round picks and anything else is kind of silly IMO. Will get Mizuno to clarify though, because if I have to give up a different pick for him, I may reconsider

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
Do you have any extra spots in the keeper league? Would love to get in on this.

Nah it's where you drafted them, in every other fantasy league I've played, guys off waivers have been last round picks and anything else is kind of silly IMO. Will get Mizuno to clarify though, because if I have to give up a different pick for him, I may reconsider
Well, I am under the impression that it should follow where the player was picked in the previous year draft, regardless if they end up in waivers or not. The other reason for this is trades, even though in this case it can be argued that the draft position "transfers".

In any case, I rather keep it "simpler" for now and have keepers be based on their draft position regardless if they got waived or not. We can debate for a change next year.

I have messaged a couple of the people that expressed interest in joining, so I hope to have everything settled soon.

Stallion

Tree Young
Well, I am under the impression that it should follow where the player was picked in the previous year draft, regardless if they end up in waivers or not. The other reason for this is trades, even though in this case it can be argued that the draft position "transfers".

In any case, I rather keep it "simpler" for now and have keepers be based on their draft position regardless if they got waived or not. We can debate for a change next year.

I have messaged a couple of the people that expressed interest in joining, so I hope to have everything settled soon.
In that case, could you please immediately unselect Chandler Parsons as a keeper for me? You clarified this after the keeper deadline, so its either that or I get him for a last rounder - it's unfair if I have to give up a second rounder for him when the rules on waiveres players weren't made clear till now.

In that case, could you please immediately unselect Chandler Parsons as a keeper for me? You clarified this after the keeper deadline, so its either that or I get him for a last rounder - it's unfair if I have to give up a second rounder for him when the rules on waiveres players weren't made clear till now.
Yeah, I'll unselect him.

For any other keeper choices before the draft anyone can let me know and I will make the necessary adjustments.

This still gonna happen tonight or will it have to be delayed to get at least 10 people in?
I'm waiting on a couple of people to respond/accept their invites so we can at least get 10. Otherwise yeah, it should probably be delayed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)