Smogon Premier League VIII - Week 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're expected to play at your best regardless of the week. If you don't because "there are other weeks anyway", then get cheesed out of playoffs due to week 9 circumstances, you're the one to blame.

But if you play at your best all weeks, it gets back to what I was saying, ie they all have the same weight

Also no worries, I didn't take it as an attack
since no one here is actually relevant in determining whether there's a remake or a time out win, let's debate this instead. it's an interesting topic and comes up every year.

i believe that in a team tournament, a game's significance is increased as there are fewer games. any single game per week is as valuable as another single game, and any single week is as significant as any other week at the surface, sure. but as the ratio of available games and weeks decrease, the significance of a particular game / week in relation to future games / weeks increases. first blood is just 1/12 games, but ten games in, you're 1/2. as games decrease and as time drops from the clock, there is less of a safety net, a sense of urgency develops, any single game or play gets criticized more heavily, there's more pressure, etc. there's a reason less secure players tend to play early in the week and the most confident ones don't care when they play. i really don't subscribe to the overly simplistic "each game matters the same blah blah" philosophy since it simply isn't representative of the way anyone plays later games v earlier games as a team or even just in like...sports. less time on the clock, more fucks given about the time that's left

but that's distinct from this, just a debate i think is more interesting than Memez.

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
as the shark least invested in spl and as someone who learned who lord outrage was yesterday even though we are on the same spl team, i will just say this: during one of his disconnects, he lost like ~200 seconds or something

+Analytic: Hey man
Oglemi: hi
+Analytic: I had a q
Oglemi: shoot
+Analytic: How does timer go from 210 to 30 after a dc of merely like 20 seconds
Oglemi: don't know, apparently it's a new problem
Oglemi: zarel was messing with things the other day
Oglemi: no control over that

:3
you do realize this literally can't happen, right

zarel reverted his "tests" earlier that day before the game so it had nothing to do with that and that math is literally impossible timer wise

also analytic being the only person who saw this happen when there were 150+ people on smogtours at the time is... lol

Week 5 or 9, a replay should happen. I live in a third world country where good internet is not for granted like the western world.
I did tell faji I had very bad connection on smogtours and I disconnected multiple times during previous spl games I played.

I beleive tds will make the fair and right decision.
Giving my 2 cents..

Based on your comments:

1: You admit you don't have reliable internet, which kinda indicates you assume the risk of the event (disc) happening (perhaps, frequently?)
2: It seems like it's a risk you're used to and embrace gracefully, since you mentioned you disconnected multiple times during previous games you played.

Giving my 2 cents..

Based on your comments:

1: You admit you don't have reliable internet, which kinda indicates you assume the risk of the event (disc) happening (perhaps, frequently?)
2: It seems like it's a risk you're used to and embrace gracefully, since you mentioned you disconnected multiple times during previous games you played.
K following your logic, because i have a bad internet i should quit playing mons. Ok bro ok ok bro

K following your logic, because i have a bad internet i should quit playing mons. Ok bro ok ok bro
You might have misunderstood my "logic", or I might have not expressed it as well as I could have.

In either case, I never said you should quit playing mons (or any other game for that matter).

I was simply stating a fact: if you don't have reliable internet and yet you choose to play in "official leagues/tournaments" -where a rule for disconnecting etc is present- you willingly assume the risk that you might be impacted one day. And taking from your own words: It was happening a lot recently, therefore, should've been a clear indicator that the "worst" was about to happen, no?

ok I have a chance to play in spl and I decide to drop it and ladder instead because i have a bad internet. Thx for the advise got it.
Mate, your inability to actually carry a discussion without translating into "mockery" or "your very own interpretation" isn't really helping. I'll stop here as to not entertain this almost "too childish" behaviour any further, but open to any possibility of conversation via other means if you so wish.

Best of luck with the decision, and the possible game (if it happens)

Good season Cryonicles, It's just too bad it had turned out this way in the end, I think we deserved a lot to reach playoffs.
5 spl and 0 playoffs...oh well.
I'm sorry if my performance was average, I'm aware I'm a bit rusty since I won the smogon tour 19.
Anyway it was my last spl, the good thing is that I started with cryonicles and finished with cryonicles, I guess.
I'm too lazy to make s/o to everyone but I love you all and I just want to give a big thanks to teal, you are really the best manager a team can have.
Thanks to njnp and zamrock for the amount of work you put for the team.
And to finish I would like to say to atticus that you prove once again you're still be a great player and to peasounay, the cool and good guy, you are simply a rby monster.

Now we are out, I wish good luck to scooters.

also analytic being the only person who saw this happen when there were 150+ people on smogtours at the time is... lol

I wasn't the only who saw it, he was gone for 30 seconds at most but the timer instantly depleted to a really low amount. Perhaps I'm misinformed and this is how the timer works, apologies in that case, but it really did happen

i definitely sympathize with Lord Outrage. we americans, and westerners more generally, take for granted having a good, consistent internet connection. i pretty much never send my team to the TDs cause i know my internet will never cut out. people in third world countries don't always have that luxury. i would be really annoyed if i and my team got punished because i wasn't born in the west and don't have all the infrastructure living in a western country grants u. dont know too much about the situation still i think this sentiment is important to consider more generally

Shocker, the modern Pokémon player wants to take a time out win rather than actually win fairly...wish some more old guys came back and slapped these bitches silly.

The game if replicated would be finished in 10 more turns max, were not talking a stall vs stall replication here. also funny seeing how different people from the same team we just played have conflicting views on this situation aka Danilo gets it and some others just don't want to see the sharks move into the playoffs...bias is real smh

the old guy jokes are kinda hilarious but we shouldn't be reducing ToF's points to just that. it'd be nice to see people wanting to win via winning the game instead of just being looking that their opponent has shit internet.

we're playing for pride on a pkmn website. yeah, this is a common bs thing to say but like how can you feel good about yourself getting a DC to win instead of playing legit? the W isn't the most important thing.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think FAJI is playing for pride (lol implying pride can even be found by being better than other neets at a marginal (unofficial!) take on a Japanese childrens' game), he's tired of SPL and doesn't want to waste his time scheduling and recreating a match that he's not obligated to finish.

In general I don't think people take wins to "feel good" they take wins to help their team because it's a team tournament. Why would you willingly handicap your team's chances by giving your opponent an opportunity to win a game they're supposed to have lost? Why would you waste your time scheduling another game when you can just take the win? No one has any obligation to their opponent, we're just a bunch of faceless dudes online. Sure, you can argue that the lack of seriousness in an online children's game means that people should be "honourable", but at the same time why bend your back to accommodate for something that will never benefit you in real life

Also why don't we just recreate every game where someone gets a crit, or a scald burn, or misses a stone edge? It'd be nice to see people wanting to win via winning the game instead of just being lucky haha

That's lebanonsense bro
Ripping off someone else their carefully crafted work is a big no-no in the comedy scene, Pearl. I take pride in my work and consider myself an authority when it comes to Lebanon-related wordplay. This blatant infringement of copyright is, quite frankly, Beirude as fuck. Then again, I probably shouldn't have expected any better from you. #plebanon

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
One thing that hasn't been brought to light here is that the timer does exist for a reason and that it's there to prevent people from taking an asslong eternity to make moves, for reasons such as ghosting and whatnot. I'm not insinuating that the Sharks were ghosting, but it covers for possibilities and makes it so that each game is a tethered length so that there's no difference in time cap between matches. Unfortunately laggy internet can happen, but it isn't really an "excuse" here with the current rule the way it is. I do have empathy for a player in a country with poor internet connection, but I don't know how you go about solving this problem, and especially for this specific instance I don't think the TDs would change the ruling that already exists regardless. It's fair to believe that connection issues should weigh less on the timer rulings and to push for a future change, but to change the current rules for a specific situation without notice would be odd.

I guess I have theoretical "investment" in this because my teammate played but I truly don't care about having 1 point vs 2 points and also don't care who makes playoffs. I've run a lot of online tournaments and played in a lot and figured I'd throw my hat in the ring here to maybe help clarify what Vinc and others were talking about.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
If you have shit internet you probably shouldn't be playing a game in an online community that requires halfway decent internet, you know, the main thing allowing you to play and participate in the first place. ~unpopular opinion~

Not to say that something fucky didn't happen with the timer or that ps hasn't been shitty with DCs lately, i honestly don't know and don't know why i'm being quoted on that.

Shocker, the modern Pokémon player wants to take a time out win rather than actually win fairly...wish some more old guys came back and slapped these bitches silly.

The game if replicated would be finished in 10 more turns max, were not talking a stall vs stall replication here. also funny seeing how different people from the same team we just played have conflicting views on this situation aka Danilo gets it and some others just don't want to see the sharks move into the playoffs...bias is real smh
This is the exact same thing I said when Axel was given a timeout loss when he obviously was having internet problems and DC'd. IMO we should be prioritizing people actually playing their games through instead of giving people easy outs for wins due to unfortunate circumstances of their opponents. You're right, back in our day this wouldn't be an issue because people would just play it out regardless of what TDs had to say; it was more important to beat your opponent than to get the W.

That said, if this instance got a "Recreate" ruling, I'm calling total unethical bias on the TDs part. Literally the exact same scenario as Axel's earlier this season, but with a TD managing the Sharks, this gets further consideration? The inconsistency already, regardless of what the final ruling ends up being, is baffling. The TDs need to be the pillar of sportsmanship and ethical behavior. This is a clear cut decision based on rulings earlier this season. We're delaying playoffs, making teams unable to prepare for their opponents, simply because of a conflict of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)