Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - April 2009

It is interesting that gyara has finally surpassed heatran. Being able to set up on the most used pokemon is truly something that is very beneficial to it.

Nearly 37% of azelf uses are not as a lead. While 73% of usages as a lead is very telling of a pokemon's role, it still shows that azelf is being used a fair bit for non-lead roles. One problem of why it lacks greater success as a non-lead would of course by the presence of scizor.

And of course, the fact that azelf retook the number 1 lead spot is also something that is very interesting.
I think it likely has something to do with the fact that many lead metagross have dropped the meteor mash/bullet punch combo (replacing one of the moves for eq), thus reducing their effectiveness against azelf, allowing azelf to once again become extremely effective.

Thanks Doug.

Thanks Doug.

Code:
|   54 | Donphan    |  16480 |    2.82 |
HELL YES!

Code:
|   33 | Electivire |  37614 |    6.44 |
Electivire is dropping ;_;

Code:
|   37 | Salamence  |    361 |    2.15 | 
|   38 | Jumpluff   |    337 |    2.01 |
Who in the hell is using Salamence in ubers? Rayquaza is infinitely better.

Nothing else to note really. Most things are getting shifted around awkwardly. Gengar is top 10 again.

Oh yeah, what do you use to determine if a Pokemon's stats are shown? Like:

Code:
[SIZE=1]+------------+--------------+------------------+---------+[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]| Snorunt    | Usage        | 1                |     0.0 |[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]| Snorunt    | Ability      | Ice Body         |   100.0 |[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]| Snorunt    | Item         | Smooth Rock      |   100.0 |[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]| Snorunt    | Nature       | Sassy            |   100.0 |[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]| Snorunt    | HP EV        | Low (50-100)     |   100.0 |[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]| Snorunt    | Attack EV    | Low (50-100)     |   100.0 |[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]| Snorunt    | Defense EV   | Low (50-100)     |   100.0 |[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]| Snorunt    | SpAttack EV  | High (150-200)   |   100.0 |[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]| Snorunt    | SpDefense EV | Very Low (<50)   |   100.0 |[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]| Snorunt    | Speed EV     | Low (50-100)     |   100.0 |[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]| Snorunt    | Move         | Swagger          |   100.0 |[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]| Snorunt    | Move         | Avalanche        |   100.0 |[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]| Snorunt    | Move         | Water Pulse      |   100.0 |[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]| Snorunt    | Move         | Disable          |   100.0 |[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]| Skorupi    | Usage        | 3                |     0.0 |[/SIZE]
Skorupi is used more but doesn't have its statistics expanding like Snorunt. It doesn't really matter since they're useless pokemon, but I'd still like to know.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
My monthly thank you to doug ~_~

now, UGH

1. Salamence just can't seem to get over the hump and overtake scizor. Mence is the single most deadly pokemon in the game, how the fuck is it not #1 already?
2. Lucario over Latias? Really? Doesn't seem like it is that way...I see latias all the time, but never see luke any more.
3. Gengar is back for good, I see its usage rising again, even with scizor around, the sub and mystic sets can play around scizor. Ditto for ape, he's here to stay.
4. I'm fucking frustrated with the leads now. Azelf overtakes metagross. Seriously, what the fuck. The way the metagame is, it's, "let's each take a turn and sets up stealth rocks on the first move" which just fucking annoys me.
5. Gyarados overtakes heatran. I noticed heatran wasn't quite as common, but I really didn't see this coming. Props though, gyarados is absolutely dangerous, any team without celebi or vappy can easily get ripped through.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
:D Stats Day! :nerd:

Its nice to see UU forming and still changing, Regirock and Espeon two of my faves in UU are risings steadily. Still its odd to see only 14% Curserock and 24% Trick Espeon (Scarf Espeon is not even in the stats :()

I tried extracting LC stats from the unrated list, there was a decentish number apparantly, but... god Smogon server LC players are bad... like horrible. I am talking Pickup Munchlax at 21%, 50% Leftovers Gligar (ok, some may be UU), 12% HP Ice Diggy (it should be ~100%) and 65% AA (should be 0%).. Bronzor with more Leftovers than Oran.. and don't get me started on the EVs they used >_> Do not use 252 spreads in LC. Ok?

Need to get the on site LC guide redone so people have a decent reference...

Thank you Doug not just for making these brilliant stats but for helping to get Shoddy and Smogon coperating!

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1 | Deoxys-e | 3843 | 22.89
2 | Darkrai | 2120 | 12.63

Don't you guys think it's time to try a new lead?

Thank for the stats, Doug

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Chomp in the top 10? Really?

Some bit of stuff
- Lucario's dropping in Ubers :(
- Skarmory's gotten more use
- Wobbuffet dropped slightly
- Latios increased a little bit, though it's still in an SRiU (Significant Rift in usage) after Giratina-O. This thng probably needs to be used more imo; when people focus too much on Latias' damage calcs Latios is forgotten and can do painful stuff like OHKO Specsogre after Stealth Rock.
- Giratina-O is still OU in Ubers :)
- Shaymin-S' potential is finally revealed, as it seems anyways.
- The Hoenn trio finally splits again, and Ray falls to #5

As for the stats themselves:
Ubers:
| Giratina | HP EV | Max | 38.5 |
It appears that my thread is working successfully. Last month it was like 87% or something
| Scizor | HP EV | Max | 18.8 |
Still a high amount but eh it's getting better
| Giratina-o | HP EV | Max | 10.0 |
People are most definitely on drugs :(

OU:
| Scizor | HP EV | Max | 25.4 |
Still 1/4th of the community :(. I think it's getting better though

Thanks Doug!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Oh yeah, what do you use to determine if a Pokemon's stats are shown? Like:

<snip>

Skorupi is used more but doesn't have its statistics expanding like Snorunt. It doesn't really matter since they're useless pokemon, but I'd still like to know.
Most likely this is because the Skorupi user did not have a full moveset. I can't say for sure, without looking at the logs (which I'm not going to do).

Battle logs can have all sorts of errors in them, and some errors can cause the entire stat collection program to crash. That really sucks when that happens, because it takes HOURS for this stuff to run. If there is a log that makes the program crash, I have to rerun the program in debug mode (which takes hours), find the offending log, fix the error or delete the log, then rerun the program again (which takes hours). It is the absolute worst part of doing these stats every month. And with half a million log files to process, you would be stunned how many weird errors come up. With that many logs, a "one in a million" error actually occurs with startling frequency. Log errors are a major pain in the ass.

Therefore, my stat programs perform certain basic checks before "accepting" a pokemon for inclusion in the detailed stats, which is where most of the heavy log processing takes place. These checks are not meant to be rocket-science, they are meant to eliminate a log at the first sign of trouble, so as to prevent the program from crashing. So there are a few things that I look for before processing a pokemon, just to make sure it looks like it read the log file correctly. The most common check that fails, is if a pokemon does not have four moves in its moveset. If there are less than four moves, the program assumes that there must have been an error reading a move somewhere, so it ignores all of the pokemon's details. However, it still counts that pokemon's usage, because usage is counted in a different program pass.

So, the idiot that used Skorupi three times last month, probably didn't bother to give the pokemon four moves. In which case, all the details for Skorupi were completely ignored. Or maybe there were three errors in the Skorupi logs, I don't really know.

The statistical impact of log errors, or idiots that don't give full movesets to their pokemon, are mathematically insignificant. So I don't spend much time worrying about them. The only reason I answered this question in such detail, was to give everyone an idea of how log errors impact the stat gathering process, and to explain why you might see occasional anomalies in the stat reports.

:D Stats Day! :nerd:

Its nice to see UU forming and still changing, Regirock and Espeon two of my faves in UU are risings steadily. Still its odd to see only 14% Curserock and 24% Trick Espeon (Scarf Espeon is not even in the stats :()

I tried extracting LC stats from the unrated list, there was a decentish number apparantly, but... god Smogon server LC players are bad... like horrible. I am talking Pickup Munchlax at 21%, 50% Leftovers Gligar (ok, some may be UU), 12% HP Ice Diggy (it should be ~100%) and 65% AA (should be 0%).. Bronzor with more Leftovers than Oran.. and don't get me started on the EVs they used >_> Do not use 252 spreads in LC. Ok?

Need to get the on site LC guide redone so people have a decent reference...

Thank you Doug not just for making these brilliant stats but for helping to get Shoddy and Smogon coperating!
Regirock + Espeon thanks you yours truly :P.

And those LC things are just bad....lol. In their defense, they could have been used in NU though, so I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt.

On another note:

I have a question, were Crobat / Yanmega put into the UU tier at the same time stats were being collected?

I have a terribly hard time beleiving my eyes when I see Crobat not at #1 usage, and Ambipom still at #1 lead.

This just leads me to beleive they were only added in later into the months statistic gathering.

Can anyone answer this?

P.S. DONPHAN 4 UU

And of course, thanks doug!

Umbreon in OU? I never would have thought.

And thank god Donphan is out of OU, or at least off the top 50.

We gotta lose Alakazam next.

I know We have to say this everyone month that is not January, April, July, or October, but I'm going to say it again. The OU tier isn't being recalculated this month.

Oh, and since this is my first post in this topic Thanks Doug!

Umbreon in OU? I never would have thought.

And thank god Donphan is out of OU, or at least off the top 50.

We gotta lose Alakazam next.
I've fought a few Umbreons, and it makes a surprisingly decent support Pokemon with Wish and a status move. It can take a special hit before going down, too, since my standard mixed Kingdra can still only 2HKO it in Rain with Hydro Pump (damage is above 50% but less than 60%) to give one example. It still can't directly damage anything, for even STAB Payback is pitiful.
Or maybe I'm just a lousy battler, who knows. :jump:

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
First of all, thanks for the stats Doug, they're always done very well.

Now, I'd like to point out that Crobat's usage is just plain insane in UU considering that his usages consisted of only 17 days (he was re-added on April 13).

Let's look at what his actual percent should be (or at least an approximation):
*Calcs besides the final percentage are rounded down

30016 battles/30 days = 1000 battles/day

17 days x 1000 battles/day = 17000 battles

(7015 usages/17000 battles)*100 = ~41.26%

Therefore, from these stats, since Crobat was introduced in UU, he has been used in ~41.26% of all battles.

This is probably off by a couple of percentage points give or take, since without the logs, I can't tell how many battles occurred during those 17 days (in fact, a huge chunk of the total battles may have come from this time due to some of the tier switches heightening interest), but this approximation gives at least some idea. However, it's still extremely high nonetheless.

We can do it for Yanmega as well:

(4897 usages/17000 battles)*100 = ~28.81%

That's still really high but again, in reality, it's probably a little lower than that.

I know We have to say this everyone month that is not January, April, July, or October, but I'm going to say it again. The OU tier isn't being recalculated this month.

Oh, and since this is my first post in this topic Thanks Doug!
I haven't posted in this thread yet, but many people use 'OU', whilst not referring to the actual tier.

Someone who says 'Yay! Donphan isn't OU anymore!', is probably saying 'Yay! Donphan was not used once in every 20 battles this month!'

hm interesting stats, scizor is still #1 in OU but his usage percentage did dip slightly since last month

1. Salamence just can't seem to get over the hump and overtake scizor. Mence is the single most deadly pokemon in the game, how the fuck is it not #1 already?
Salamence is a huge force to be wrecken with. But you just could put Scizor in so many teams and make it work. That is a short description in which why I think Scizor is #1. Also, when I build a team, I always seem to think of Scizor over Salamence first.

4. I'm fucking frustrated with the leads now. Azelf overtakes metagross. Seriously, what the fuck. The way the metagame is, it's, "let's each take a turn and sets up stealth rocks on the first move" which just fucking annoys me.
I kinda hate the way the metagame is right now because its just not my style. But DualScreen Azelf is very attractive in offensive teams. I personally like Azelf, too because I like U-Turners/Taunt.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Look at Ambipom's HUGE drop compared to last month... Crobat's introduction really didn't bode well for it.

And nice job as usual, Doug!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)