Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I finally completed the long, laborious task of writing some programs to collect usage statistics by parsing Shoddy battle logs. I've posted a whole bunch of usage statistics in a thread over in Stark.

Here's a link to the thread.

I won't restate the content of that thread here. I'm making this thread for any internal discussion or commentary on usage stats and how we might use these for future tiering decisions.

Please go easy with any suggestions for additional stat gathering. I'm kinda sick of the code right now. I really grinded on it over the past several days, so I'm not looking forward to adding a bunch of cool new things ATM. I will be working with chaos to help him get the stats up on the website.

Although it was a pain to program, I'm really excited about looking through the stats. I didn't write the program because I HAD to; I did it because I am a stat-junkie. I love this stuff! If any of you are similarly-minded, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I think this can tell us things about the metagame that we have always suspected, but couldn't prove.

Happy stat hunting!

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
We've been talking on IRC about how these stats might be used to facilitate and improve Analysis peer edits. This could help remove slashitis in some sets. They also can help settle some arguments on which sets should be featured or not. I think the item stats are very telling and might be different than the recommended items on some sets. Really, the possibilities are endless. I think every analysis could be compared with these stats to see how they line up.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Would it be possible to check what type of Hidden Power was used on the pokemon whose most popular moves include Hidden Power?

Roserade's stats will probably benefit the most from this, but I'm sure there are others.

DougJustDoug

Hidden Powers will be broken out by type. I didn't catch that until the very last minute. I'll fix it soon and update the listings.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
thank you very much Doug for these statistics.

writing up peer edits just became that much easier

These statistics help out tremendously. Team building, peer edits, topics, discussions, this will change things a lot. Thanks Doug!

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Are we going to wait the normal 3 months to develop NU from statistics such as these, since we have some valid UU stats now? Or are we going to make NU this month or something? I'm just curious.

P.S. Nice job Doug, your hard work is always appreciated.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Why wait three months?

I wouldn't mind setting up NU now at all. One month gives us a hell of a datapool anyway

DougJustDoug

I'm glad there has been such a positive reaction to this stuff. I'm a bit of a trivia nerd, but I didn't realize how many other people enjoyed rummaging through details like this. Over the past few days, I've been looking at the stat numbers and log data so much that I've been dreaming about it in my sleep! Is that sick or what? I think I'm going to apply to take a test for the Pokemon Researcher badge. I'm not on the level of guys like Peterko, but it's amazing how many little details you learn after writing a program to parse a couple hundred thousand pokemon battle logs!

Anyway, on a more serious note, I will be making some changes to the stat gathering program and will likely regenerate the pokemon stats. Since everyone seems very interested in the details, I may lower the threshold for "Other" so that more move data is explicitly listed. I'm also going to make a few other cleanups to the stats. I'll let you know when the update happens.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Man, you don't know how much this helps me in my research! Thanks a lot!

A suggestion: why not announce this on the main site as well? And maybe have a section in the Smogon main site for this.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm hoping we'll find a way to incorporate this stuff into the dex pages... but I haven't talked to anyone about that yet!

DougJustDoug

The stats are in the shoddy database, chaos. I meant to tell you that yesterday when we were on IRC. The table is called "stats". Those reports I displayed were just piped text from the standard mysql command line tool. I'll send you the queries I was using, if it helps. But, the columns are very close to the same as what you see on the report. I aliased the names in the report, just to make them more user-friendly. The only non-obvious difference is that the "Percent" calculation is done in SQL. The table has two number columns, "inner_total" and "outer_total". "Percent" in the stat reports is always (inner_total / outer_total) then rounded to one decimal place.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Interesting that you count statistics differently from Colin, Doug.

You count every Pokemon in a team even if it doesn't feature in a battle, whereas Colin counts only Pokemon that appear in a battle.

How do I know? Simple mathematics. :)

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is great stuff!

Does anyone else think it would be interesting to correlate pokemon usage with wins? It would be interesting to see if any highly used pokemon have a really high or really low win rate.

I know you said you were sick of the code though, this is just an idea.

EDIT: Something like this may be better if for a given pokemon, battles where both teams have that pokemon don't count. The question is "when one team has X and the other team doesn't have X, how often does X's team win?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)