Smogon University PO Statistics — May 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Espeon's success is going to be directly tied to Tyranitar's success, I'd assume. What good does Magic Bounce do you against a hard-hitting Crunch? I've really liked Espeon, but folks in this metagame are hitting so hard that Stealth Rock seems pretty unnecessary at this point...! On the other hand, Breloom users pretty much shit themselves to see an Espeon switch in on their Spore...

Wait, we have usage stats (and therefore tiers), we have movesets, this metagame is obviously stabilizing itself...so why no fifth-gen analysis pages? We need to get on that...we must look awfully lazy to the outside world! Really sorry about the sudden question...guess I'm just itching for something to do while I wait for June usage stats! I can't get enough of this stuff.

I'm sorry but... Smogon, are you high? Speed boost Blaziken being uber I can understand. But I'm hearing rumors that regular Blaziken is uber, too? That's stupider than threatening to tell the cops if someone kills you.

I'm sorry but... Smogon, are you high? Speed boost Blaziken being uber I can understand. But I'm hearing rumors that regular Blaziken is uber, too? That's stupider than threatening to tell the cops if someone kills you.
....you want MORE complex bans? Anyway, we might as well allow Mewtwo into OU as long as it uses Tackle <,<

Your sig: Bidoof is already uber in 5th Gen with Inconsistent :)

Why is Thundurus so low? 17 isn't a bad place by any means but it simply annihilates all of the pokemon above it with a simple LO + NP / Thunderbolt / Focus Blast / HP Ice set, regardless of rain. SpD Jirachi is the only thing that stands a chance of surviving boosted Thunderbolt.

Why is Thundurus so low? 17 isn't a bad place by any means but it simply annihilates all of the pokemon above it with a simple LO + NP / Thunderbolt / Focus Blast / HP Ice set, regardless of rain. SpD Jirachi is the only thing that stands a chance of surviving boosted Thunderbolt.
More than one of them will outspeed and OHKO him, though, such as Choice Scarf Politoed (with Hydro Pump) and Specs Latios.

More than one of them will outspeed and OHKO him, though, such as Choice Scarf Politoed (with Hydro Pump) and Specs Latios.
Thundurus outspeeds Specs Latios, as you can have a 31 Speed IV HP Ice. 111 > 110. Politoed and Heatran are the only two that run Scarf as their most common set, too.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
We a;ready have one complex ban, and the way things are going, we might have a complex ban on a move+move combination (Shell Smash+Baton Pass). I see no reason why we can't go around making any more if that's the case.

Just to make sure:
A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.

:L
Hm, maybe straw man wasn't the best term to use then.
Doesn't help I don't put abilities in the same term as, say, de-leveled movepool-destroyed Mewtwo

Just seems odd to go to the most extreme example of a complex ban right off the bat to me, I guess?

Charizard faces stiff competition from primarily Victini. While Charizard hits harder, Victini has better stats all-around (except for SpA and Spe), has only half Zard's SR weakness, can handle a nice mixed set, has a better movepool, and is perfectly spammable in Trick Room, etc. With Drought gone, Charizard is probably gonna fall even further. Victini...well, he probably won't be banned now, but he can function well without Sun; Sun is just the icing.

Also, I can't believe someone suggested that Tyranitar is ever falling to BL just because Fighting-types eat him alive. That's just horrendous reasoning. It's almost like saying that Ho-Oh isn't an Uber because Terrakion, Garchomp, Gliscor and Tyranitar can kill it with Stone Edge. Or that Salamence, Dragonite and Garchomp suck in OU because Ice-type moves (which are pretty common) eat them alive. Or Magnezone shouldn't be considered because Earthquakes are everywhere with Garchomp, Landorus and Excadrill. And so on and so forth. Augh. The stupid shit I see on here sometimes... =______=

Hm, maybe straw man wasn't the best term to use then.
Doesn't help I don't put abilities in the same term as, say, de-leveled movepool-destroyed Mewtwo

Just seems odd to go to the most extreme example of a complex ban right off the bat to me, I guess?
I don't know...call it a straw man...or don't...I don't know :L
It was kinda stupid of me.

Fighting types eating Tyranitar alive is just one of the many reasons.

It has a horrid defensive typing, it has abysmal speed (even after DD it fails to outspeed many threats), it has no priority moves while being 4x weak to Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave, its other ability is near useless, its Sp. Atk. stat is mediocre by Gen 5 standards and as icing on the cake its strongest attack (Stone Edge) has imperfect accuracy which could cost you the game.

Ask yourself this: why do you use Tyranitar? Because you need a tank? No. Because you need a sweeper? No. Because you need a wallbreaker? Possible, but many other pokemon do that better.
The correct answer is: because you need Sand Stream.
There is simply no reason to use Tyranitar without SS so don't be surprised if it falls to BL.
Heck it could even be UU as long as Evolite Chansey stays there.
Belive it or not... I actually agree with this. Up to the 'Why do you use Tyranitar'. People use Tyranitar as a tank all the time... just because of his stupid Sp.Def under Sandstream. He'd just lose his tanking ability without Sand Stream.

Without Sand Stream bolstering his Sp.Def, Tyranitar would utterly lose his niche. He couldn't support the team.

He couldn't counter and trap Lati@s, or, for that matter, almost any Psychic or Ghost, because he wouldn't survive Focus Blasts anymore.

He wouldn't be sweeping, because his weaknesses to Grass and Water could now be exploited.
So... why would you use Tyranitar? There is no reason. He'd just be a slow pokemon, with an inaccurate, but powerful STAB, and a horrible defensive typing. Like... all other Rock-types. If you wanted a Speed Boosting Rock Sweeper, Aggron would arguably be better, with the Sturdy Boost, Rock Polish and Head Smash.

The primary Rock-type sweeper would probobly become Aerodactyl, to be honest. Far greater speed, a much better typing, Taunt to break walls, and the Flying type does a number on the Fighting types everywhere.

Oh, and with things like Heracross in UU, I actually think Tyranitar without Sand Stream wouldn't even make BL. [Because if SS is Uber, he can't use it in UU either]

I use Tyranitar because of its perfectly placed Typing.

Yeah i actualy use it mainly to abuse the typing. He has possibly one of the most perfect typing in the game for doing jobs i need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)