SPOILERS! Stakataka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try AV Stak
It actually doesn't die
"It actually doesn't die."
Best 4-word description of a Pokémon I've ever read.

Jokes aside, AV Stak is... Well, a waller wall than the wall it is. But you have to bring it on field via KO/slow VSwitch/UTurn and set up TR at the same time, not an easy thing even in Doubles metagames like BSD or VGC

"It actually doesn't die."
Best 4-word description of a Pokémon I've ever read.

Jokes aside, AV Stak is... Well, a waller wall than the wall it is. But you have to bring it on field via KO/slow VSwitch/UTurn and set up TR at the same time, not an easy thing even in Doubles metagames like BSD or VGC
What I meant is, try AV Stack in OU with Alomomola support, and you'll realize that it's very good. You wall stuff like non-Focus Blast Lele, Steela, non-eq Venu (rare but it's something), Zap and Naga (+2 Fire Blast does around 34%).
You lose a chunk to every physical coverage move, but if you REALLY want to use Stak, go for max SpDef AV + Wish support, and can put in some interesting work.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Exactly. Also, what powerful Ghost STAB would it even get? Shadow Claw and Shadow Bone don't fit, so that leaves a more mediocre option with Phantom Force. STAB Shadow Sneak could be nice, but Gyro Ball + Stone Edge or Rock Blast/Slide is a combo that I think is far more worthwhile.
They could've made a new signature move for it like they did with blacephalon.

Even Stab EQ, with all that defense, it only gets 1hkod by actually strong ones (say, lando-T).
In BSD metagame, Jolly Lando-T fails to OHKO 252/12 Stak:

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 12 Def Stakataka: 268-324 (82.2 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

In Singles, Lando can dismantle the tower tho

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Exactly. Also, what powerful Ghost STAB would it even get? Shadow Claw and Shadow Bone don't fit, so that leaves a more mediocre option with Phantom Force. STAB Shadow Sneak could be nice, but Gyro Ball + Stone Edge or Rock Blast/Slide is a combo that I think is far more worthwhile.

I mean, I get why people are hating on Stakataka's Typing, but they need to remember that while it's literally a wall, that's not how it will be used. It's going to be played as a TR Sweeper, so they need to think of its Typing offensively, not defensively.
Well, Blacephalon got its own signature move, so it would make sense that Stakataka gets one too.
I mean, like a signature ghost type move that uses Def instead of Atk/SpA to hit, for example.

A TR Sweeper niche is nice, but that's not exactly what one would expect for a wall.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-660931630

Here it is, first team I build and I got a Stakataka TR Sweep. This is EXACTLY what I meant in my theorymon. Right here, fresh and hot
What item did you run on Stakataka?

I've been thinking that Rockium Z could be a viable item on Stakataka as it will be using Gyro Ball, like, 80% of the time, and Earthquake to the things that resist Steel and are almost always weak to Ground, so Stone Edge is left for the very few Pokemon that resist both.

For instance, Rockium Z lets Lonely Stakataka almost always OHKO Celesteela with Continental Crush at +1.

Either way, it lets you use a Rock attack you absolutely, completely cannot afford to miss. Like a Volcarona in the last turn of Trick Room.

I've also tried to see if there was some kind of spread that let Stakataka reach specially defensive benchmarks. They don't seem to be any efficient ones. It survives every powerful neutral move (if barely) with just 252 HP and it would need very heavy specially defensive investment to reach said benchmarks.

Last edited:
Wow, I completely misunderstood this mon. It's not defensive at all, rather, it's 100% an offensive sweeper. Bring it in on something that can't KO it, go for trickroom, then proceed to go ham on the opponent's team. Rock/Steel may not be good defensively, but it's pretty good offensively, especially when Gyro Ball hits harder than Marowak's Shadow Bone.

I've been using RockiumZ and Life Orb, but I think RockiumZ is better because it's easier to net the first kill with it. I don't like Iron Plate much. I don't think it nets many important KOs, and all it does is make it harder to beat Celesteela, Toxapex, etc. Also, it's bad against opposing trick room teams, as Gyro Ball becomes weak.

Speaking of opposing trick room teams, this guy is pretty decent against them!

I used Rockium Z btw, it kills Celesteela after an Attack Boost

Btw I find the defensive boosting sets to be kinda underwhelming...they don't work for me.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

I'm in love with this Pokémon. It's just so easy to use it's pretty good bulk to set up TR and spam it's nuclear Gyro Balls and coverage and sweep late-game. It works especially well in the offensive meta that OU is right now, but it'd likely fall flat in fatter metas even if its so strong. I do love that Game Freak rused us by making a fully offensive mon that looks like a wall, simple but clever either way

So many ultra beast have 4x weaknesses
Being entities coming from outside planet Earth, it's possible that they developped in a certain way and not caring about terrestrial elements: for example, all the 4x weaknesses found in UBs are weaknesses to either one the four elements of Earth (4x Fire for Kartana, 4x Ground for Nihilego and Stakataka, 4x Flying for Buzzwole and Pheromosa), or to something related to human history/belief/behaviour (4x Fighting, seen as human burte force/violence; 4x Fairy, coming from folktales and magic that are commonly found in all human evolution).
I think that since UBs are not from Earth, they have certain typing combo that is not well prepaired for coming on Earth; to put it simple, they would lose a face-to-face with humanity just because they are weak to it.
Even stats confirm that: they are 90% of times put randomly, with one or two being stellar (Kartana's Atk, Stakataka's Def etc...), and the others being mediocre or even lackluster.

That's why I love the concept behind UB lol

I still have trouble pronoucing this thing's name ...

This thing is actually quite decent in the early meta since weirly enough, it can take advantage of 2 mons that people are spamming like crazy right now, Naganadel and AV Ttar.

Another great thing about Stakataka is that if you run a Brave Set and use it as some kind of Naganadel check (or some similar niche, basically using band sets or something) you can easily win against other TR Teams with it, as you outslow them and even if Gyro Ball is weakened Stone Edge still hurts.

Basically having one in your team helps against TR teams from your opponent too.(Obviously Lonely 15IV is the strongest set, but just saying)

Another great thing about Stakataka is that if you run a Brave Set and use it as some kind of Naganadel check (or some similar niche, basically using band sets or something) you can easily win against other TR Teams with it, as you outslow them and even if Gyro Ball is weakened Stone Edge still hurts.

Basically having one in your team helps against TR teams from your opponent too.(Obviously Lonely 15IV is the strongest set, but just saying)
I don't think Naganadel can hurt the tower so much, even at +2 Flamethrower won't bring Stak down:

+2 252 SpA Naganadel Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stakataka: 191-225 (58.5 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

While Stak can OHKO Naganadel with the obvious move:

252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Naganadel: 351-414 (121.8 - 143.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Luckily Naganadel has no real Ground/Fighting moves like Eart Power/Focus Blast, so yeah Stak destroys Naganadel; Gyro Ball even outdamages a 2x EQ lol

Stakataka is definitely much better than I expected. If only it had a Typing that didn't had 2 4x weaknesses... (Lost opportunity there Gamefreak, easiest Steel Ghost of your life)

I can wait it to drop to UU, where it will probably be good to check stuff like Latias and non Superpower Scizor

I'm in love with this Pokémon. It's just so easy to use it's pretty good bulk to set up TR and spam it's nuclear Gyro Balls and coverage and sweep late-game. It works especially well in the offensive meta that OU is right now, but it'd likely fall flat in fatter metas even if its so strong. I do love that Game Freak rused us by making a fully offensive mon that looks like a wall, simple but clever either way
5:05 "Hey gen 5 yay"
Had a blast with the live, subbed

If only it had a Typing that didn't had 2 4x weaknesses... (Lost opportunity there Gamefreak, easiest Steel Ghost of your life)
Honestly, I think it was intentional from GF to give the steel/rock instead of steel/ghost or rock/ghost.
That thing with Steel/ghost typing would have been..... I wouldnt say Ubers but close to material.

Then again, stuff like Naganadel and Pheromosa exist...

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
I don't think Naganadel can hurt the tower so much, even at +2 Flamethrower won't bring Stak down:

+2 252 SpA Naganadel Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stakataka: 191-225 (58.5 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

While Stak can OHKO Naganadel with the obvious move:

252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Naganadel: 351-414 (121.8 - 143.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Luckily Naganadel has no real Ground/Fighting moves like Eart Power/Focus Blast, so yeah Stak destroys Naganadel; Gyro Ball even outdamages a 2x EQ lol
With Dragonium-Z being the most common item on that set, it can actually deal with it pretty well:
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stakataka: 309-365 (94.7 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

With Dragonium-Z being the most common item on that set, it can actually deal with it pretty well:
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stakataka: 309-365 (94.7 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
1v1 Naganadel is unreliable, because the turn Naga sets up, it dies from Gyro Ball or (even worse) goes under Trick Room and goes down the next turn.
And nobody mentally sane would ever send Stakataka on a +2 Naganadel :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)