SM OU Stall is for nerds: Dual Screens Hyper Offense

Hey everyone. I've come back to Showdown! and competitive Pokemon after a few years of absence (last time I played was in B/W and the glory days of endless Drizzle), and I've been trying out a lot of different things. I had a couple balance teams and one Trick Room team but I got kinda tired of playing with Lando-T and Toxapex so I decided to throw caution to the wind and just make a HO team. The idea I had was: two pivot/utility Pokemon, one "immediate power" special attacker, one "immediate power" physical attacker, one setup-based special attacker, and one setup-based physical attacker.

It's been going kind of well but I'd like some advice from people who are more experienced than me. This is my first post in RMT and I hope it's detailed enough.

The Squad:

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Taunt

Originally I had Aurora Veil Alolan-Ninetales in this slot, but I like the surprise factor of Dual Screens Koko a lot better. Opponents switch out expecting a Specs-ed Volt Switch, giving Tapu Koko enough time to set up a screen and then U-turn away on the next turn. Taunt is also great at completely shutting down Pokemon like Chansey that switch in expecting to tank a special attack, or to stop a lead from setting up Sticky Web/Stealth Rock. Not too sure about the EVs here but I like having a fast Taunt and max speed is nice for getting in a quick Reflect/Light Screen in a pinch. Longevity is pretty important, both to ensure I still get screens late-game and also to make sure Hawlucha can get that Unburden boost. This thing can actually live through an EQ from a defensive Lando-T after Reflect is up, which actually sometimes turns out to be relevant.

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

The star of the show, has deceptively good special bulk when a Light Screen is up and after it gets off a Quiver Dance. I think this is a fairly standard Volcarona set so idk what else to say here—I picked Fiery Dance over Fire Blast because I really hate that miss chance and getting another SpA boost is really nice. Psychic nails Toxapex on the switch, and sometimes I wish I had Psychium Z, but my Z-move slot is already taken and I like having Lum Berry. Volcarona hates both Toxic and paralysis, and this way it gets one extra turn of Quiver Dancing on defensive Pokemon who try to hit it with a status move. Though sometimes I wonder if Leftovers would be better.

I usually try to bring out Volcarona late-game, but after both screens are up it can actually get an early- or mid-game sweep pretty easily. It's actually pretty bulky when the help of screens and can live a lot of things it normally wouldn't, though it still crumples like a wet paper towel when exposed to a rock-type move.

Tornadus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Defog
- U-turn

The standard Defog/Flyinium-Z set. I've lost count of how many Landorus-Therians this thing has nuked from orbit with Supersonic Skystrike. Because Volcarona is MVP, I needed a really reliable defogger so that's why Tornadus-Therian is here taking up the Z-move slot. Otherwise I'm not sure what else to say, wish I could be more interesting but sadly I ripped the set straight off Smogon. But yeah, sometimes I'll use it to take a weaker hit under screens because it's got Regenerator and that works crazy well with Dual Screens. Usually this thing is the first Pokemon to die after it's Defogged once or twice and used up its Z-move.

A nice pattern that will happen: I lead with Koko and the opponent leads with Lando-T. Or I lead with Koko and the opponent leads with something and switches into Lando-T. Expecting a Specs set, the opponent will try and get SR up and Koko will Taunt to prevent that. Then Koko U-turns out into Tornadus-Therian to block the incoming Earthquake. At least where I'm at on the ladder, not that many defensive Landorus-Therians run Stone Edge so it means Tornadus gets a free Knock Off on either Lando or whatever switches in.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Lots of different things have been tried in this slot (highlights include Mega-Medicham, Mega-Gyarados, and a brief appearance by Contrary Serperior) but I keep coming back to Mega-Lopunny and no, it's not because I'm a secret furry. This thing is absurd, with its a crazy speed tier and high-power STAB moves. I've found that Ice Punch is more convenient over Copycat/Encore/Healing Wish on the last slot. Even at a -1, Lopunny can do a pretty decent chunk to Landorus-Therian who stay in expecting the switch. I generally use it to pick off weakened enemies mid-game.

Greninja @ Mystic Water
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory

As much as I despise Ash and despise the fact that Ash is now canon to the game-verse with the introduction of Ash-Greninja, I also really like using Ash-Greninja. I initially put Extrasensory there to try and nail Toxapex on the switch but sadly it doesn't do as much as I'd like it to: I'm thinking of switching out Mystic Water with Expert Belt so that it'll actually have a chance of 2HKOing. Anyway, Ash-Greninja is great, Water Shuriken is busted, and it has a similar role/function to Mega-Lopunny: sniping weakened foes and being the "immediate threat" special attacker, no setup required.

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- High Jump Kick

Everyone's favorite punchy bird. With Screens and the Electric Seed boost, it can actually live through a lot of priority moves that would normally do a lot, like Ice Shard from Mamoswine or even a Quick Attack from Mega-Pinsir. I put Roost over Stone Edge even though I hate Zapdos because it lets Hawlucha get more Swords Dance opportunities when faced with stuff like Lando-T or defensive Pokemon that try and predict a Hi Jump Kick with Protect. Sometimes I wish I had Substitute to block status or Stone Edge to hit the electric bird, but usually I try and bring Hawlucha out late-game when stuff is already weakened.

Replays:
This iteration of the team is still pretty new so I actually don't have a lot of good replays of it in action.

Replay: Volcarona briefly struggles vs Toxapex but gets its act together.
Another Replay

Hi there

Welcome back to Pokemon! Double screens is a bit of a thing at the moment, and currently your team looks quite solid; i will just quickly seek to highlight some possible changes that could be made to the team in order to facilitate easier wins.

Currently your Volcarona looks to sweep early to mid game and carries Psychic to beat the Pex. I think you have probably found that as most Pex carry Haze, it can be difficult to actually break through, even with super-effective coverage. I think that by running Psychium Z on Vocarona it makes Volcarona's break-through a certainty in this situation, rather than leaving it up to chance.

Volcarona struggles against heatran, which can be capitalized on by switching to Greninja. Normally Greninja Ash runs Choice Specs for immediate power, but i understand why you may not want to lock yourself into a move. You run Extrasensory to help beat Pex but as you have found it doesn't do enough. I suggest running Gunk Shot on Greninja with a small attack investment to guarantee the KO on Tapu Bulu after rocks as this is a common switch in to Greninja currently, especially after they find you are not Protein.

Spikes is also another interesting option over Shuriken that you could probably try out as it will be hard to remove them with strong play.

28 Atk Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 304-360 (88.6 - 104.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery

Another possible minor change is using expert belt and changing Water Shuriken with Hidden Power Grass as Gastrodon is flavor of the month atm and by running this you prevent it from walling ninja if you dont want to run Specs Dark Pulse. That's just food for thought however.

224 SpA Expert Belt Greninja Hidden Power Grass vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 216-254 (50.8 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Finally by changing Volc to your Z move user it allows Tornadus to hold another item. I would suggest a life orb for the extra power, although Wide Lense is also an interesting option to increase the reliability of Hurricane STAB.

In short:

1528006071606.png

Greninja @ Mystic Water/ Expert Belt
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Water Shuriken/ Hidden Power Grass/ Spikes

1528006100672.png

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Psychic
- Quiver Dance

1528006118492.png

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb/ Wide Lense
Ability: Regenerator
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Hopefully these changes help you somewhat by easing the amount of switches you have to take against common cores utilizing Heatran, Tapu Bulu and Pex. I tried not to change the team members, or spirit of the teams objective too much.

Have fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)