Steel no longer resists Ghost and Dark in XY. How will this change Ubers?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey, we can now afford to run Psychic on NP Darkrai to screw over Fightceus because it doesn't give a fuck about Steels any more :D

This change has a varied effect on many OU steel types that see usage in Ubers.

First, there's Jirachi, perhaps the Pokemon that suffers the most from this nerf. Now Jirachi is weak to both Ghost and Dark type moves, meaning Darkrai, Ghostceus, the Giratina forms and more can do serious damage to the wishing star.

Next comes Scizor. Scizor loses two of its resistances, but ultimately doesn't appear to change much.

Skarmory is in a similar boat; despite being more defensively oriented, its role doesn't really change. I do want to note that non-Overheat E-Killer can now hit the bird neutrally with Shadow Claw/ Shadow Force, but Skarmory will still be able to tank a blow and phase. Arceus-Ghost is going to give it harder time though.

Ferrothorn somewhat dislikes this change too, for now Pokemon like Darkrai and Ghostceus don't need to gamble on Focus Blast, and can instead hit more reliably with their STAB options.

Finally, maybe this isn't the most important change, but the lone fact that ToxicSplit Forretress can no longer beat non-flamethrower packing Ghostceus saddens me deeply. :(

Last edited:
This change has a varied effect on many OU steel types that see usage in Ubers.

First, there's Jirachi, perhaps the Pokemon that suffers the most from this nerf. Now Jirachi is weak to both Ghost and Dark type moves, meaning Darkrai, Ghostceus, the Giratina forms and more can do serious damage to the wishing star.

Next comes Scizor. Scizor loses two of its resistances, but ultimately doesn't appear to change much.

Skarmory is in a similar boat; despite being more defensively oriented, its role doesn't really change. I do want to note that non-Overheat E-Killer can now hit the bird neutrally with Shadow Claw/ Shadow Force, but Skarmory will still be able to tank a blow and phase.

Ferrothorn somewhat dislikes this change too, for now Pokemon like Darkrai and Ghostceus don't need to gamble on Focus Blast, and can instead hit more reliably with their STAB options.

Finally, maybe this isn't the most important change, but the lone fact that ToxicSplit Forretress can no longer beat non-flamethrower packing Ghostceus saddens me deeply. :(
Ferro can still tank Darkrai-have a look.
52 SpA Darkrai Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn: 100-118 (28.4 - 33.52%) -- possible 4HKO (This is with no steel typing)
If anything, it walls Darkrai harder as it won't carry focus miss as much. Most ghoseus' carry flamethrower anyway...

Bryce

Lun
^Darkrai will run max spatk lol.It can do a shit ton with Max spatk and life orb which is the standard set,probably doing around 46% based on your calc.

Go in with a completely new mindset, don't try to keep your same team intact, switching one or two pieces. Be prepared to start from scratch and a totally fresh mind.
Well said. Each generation is different from the last, new mechanics, new bans, and of course, new Pokemon :)

Ghosts may be powerful this generation, but they can still be dealt with. Think of things like Yveltal. Try it out, see if you like it, and build a new, fun, team for the 6th generation :D

This is why I love Gen VI so far, its shaking shit up.

But yea, this is kind of a big deal:

-Giratina-O can start wrecking shit without fear of being walled.
- Ghost Place Arceus
-Jirachi gains two weaknesses

And now we got Yvetal.

Its impossible to tell the the complete changes now, but still.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)