Stunfisk

Yeah I can't imagine Maggyo usurping Magic Guard Endeavor/Pain Split gimmicks any time soon, but he could be ridiculously annoying to face with that much hax, Static could be used over Sand Veil I guess but I would rather just use Thunderwave. Even if he can't hit grounds with it, he can at least hit them SE with Muddy Water.

This thing is as cool as miles davis.

Maggyo @ Red Card
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
Static
-Thunderbolt
-Rest
-Toxic
-Protect

Maggyo (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Discharge / Thunderbolt
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Pain Split

Just go for it... it can't learn Ice Beam, so Sludge Bomb is your best move against the inevitable Grass switch in. I think Discharge would be preferable to Thunderbolt for the Paralysis chance, 0 speed neutral Maggyo sits at 100 speed, so anything with 399 speed or less will be outsped when payalysed. For the EVs, I just maxed SAtk, and used X-Acts applet for the remainder.. may need tweaking for a life orb number or whatever..plus loads of hp isn't good for pain split.. this things sucks. 287 max SAtk isn't horrible....but tbh I just wanted an excuse to post that image.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

Maggyo (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Discharge / Thunderbolt
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Pain Split

Just go for it... it can't learn Ice Beam, so Sludge Bomb is your best move against the inevitable Grass switch in. I think Discharge would be preferable to Thunderbolt for the Paralysis chance, 0 speed neutral Maggyo sits at 100 speed, so anything with 399 speed or less will be outsped when payalysed. For the EVs, I just maxed SAtk, and used X-Acts applet for the remainder.. may need tweaking for a life orb number or whatever..plus loads of hp isn't good for pain split.. this things sucks. 287 max SAtk isn't horrible....but tbh I just wanted an excuse to post that image.
Good set, but a LOOOOT of Grasses are neutral to Sludge Bomb and neutral to Earth Power. 30% of poisoning is good, but you cannot paralyze with Discharge and poison the same pokémon. Sludge wave is better, or even Boiling Water if you have something to handle Grasses.

Quick note: Good image for a Specs set.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Oh boy, why's everybody hating so hard?

Fuckin' look at the guy. He's cooler than you'll ever be.

109/84/99 is a great defensive spread, and 81 SPA is usable, plus he can spread status like champ.

Star pokemon? Probably not. Usable? You bet your ass.

Why do Gamefreak still produce Pokemon like this? Limber on a Base 32 with a electric immunity? Really?

Great typing for an offensive Pokemon, but bad of a defensive one. It might to ok to spread status, with Yawn, Toxic, T-Wave and Static, but is still destined for NU.

I don't see why everyone is hating on him, he was born a beast and those glasses you threw on him make him even more beast. He looks real fun to use. I'm going to try to run some tests with him.

Really, the stats look fine to me, seems durable and capable of doing a little damage or making use of support moves.

Its not a flounder, there's a fish who lives in really shallow water, basically swiming in sand, who can produce electrical currents and shock you. Don't know its name.
You're thinking of the torpedo ray. However, Maggyo has the face and fins of a stylized flounder for sure, and keep in mind, they made an electric lamprey, which is an animal not remotely related to the electric eel :p

Umag?

Electric Stargazer sounds about right?

To be honest, its stats aren't that bad, but its typing is pretty ineffective. Still, I can see it being useful on UU Sandstorm teams, as it's fairly bulky.

Who took my picture? I was sleeping dammit.

Anyway: this poke is one of those cases of "defensive poke without a recovery move outside Rest".
I... don't like that.
And Pain Split is lame.

This thing would be sooo cool if it had an useful attack and a recovery move (this screams Curse. And with Static to paralize things that touch it)...
Well, Curse is still doable, except not really.

just checked the set
pain split
earth power

boiling water
discharge

is possible just transfer a male magcargo from 4 gen with pain split teached by tutor and earth power i think this set could be good

I'm freaking speechless at this guy's cry.
._.
http://pokemon.marriland.com/black_white/pokedex/maggyo/ for your listening pleasure.
...What the heck is that noise?! To be honest, it kinda sounds like someone farting...Really...

Anyway, Maggyo has good stats, but its typing really kills it. Its movepool is also interesting, and it can many ways to spread status (Boiling Water, Discharge, and Sludge Bomb all have 30% chances of spreading status, and it also has Thunder Wave and Toxic). I'm very interested to see how this will turn out.

breh

強いだね
Finally anybody who's played the game knows that this thing is even more of a troll than elecric lamprey (it has no level-up moves and evolves at 39... x_x)... its cry sounds strikingly like flatulence and it makes the derpiest face in existence.

Seriously its face is the description of derp... like combine bidoof and Kokoromori's derpinesses
C'mon guys read my posts... I said it sounded like flatulence more than two weeks ago and posted its derp face a while after

Anyways to those that are saying that it's usuable, you forget one thing - it has no way to deal with Grass-types outside of hidden power. Sure it has good defenses and interesting STAB, but the lack of Ice Beam is where the dissappointment is at IMO. The hilarious bit is that, with ice beam, it would actually have great neutral coverage with either of its STABs. But no, instead they just give it Boiling Water :(

Anyways to those that are saying that it's usuable, you forget one thing - it has no way to deal with Grass-types outside of hidden power. Sure it has good defenses and interesting STAB, but the lack of Ice Beam is where the dissappointment is at IMO. The hilarious bit is that, with ice beam, it would actually have great neutral coverage with either of its STABs. But no, instead they just give it Boiling Water :(
Well; this is why Pokemon is a team of 6 and not one, gotta have team players. Every Pokemon has its flaws, just because he will have trouble dealing with grass types does not make him useless.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I made my own little funny set:

Maggyo
Nature: Sassy
EV: 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 SpD
~ Curse
~ Earthquake
~ Thunder
~ Pain Split
Ability: Static
Item: Leftovers

C'mon guys read my posts... I said it sounded like flatulence more than two weeks ago and posted its derp face a while after

first its a defensive pokemon doesnt need to deal with all types i mean so hipodown cant do anything to most grass/water types that means its not usable? and no eletric pokemon learns ice beam outside lanturn and is a huge plus this guy gets boiling water to deal with ground types and 30% burn is preety good i saw one guy using him on a wifi battle and stalled a max spa shanderaa(140 spa) and a sazandora(draco meteor only took a bit past half hp) who didnt have surf or earthquack with rest sleep talk so i think this guy has potencial as a special bulky pokemon with rest sleep talk or pain split

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Sludge Bomb and Wave. Wanting coverage, go these. The grasses that doesn't take SE are all damage neutraly with Earth Power (Roserade, Nattorei and Cradily) and Boiling Water (Torterra). If Poison is not what you like, go HP Fire.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I just deleted half the thread. This is not the place for you to post dumb internet memes or discuss how terrible you think Maggyo looks.

Maggyo @Leftovers
Careful (+Sp.Def/-Sp.Atk)
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Def/4 Atk or Def
Ability: Limber
~Curse
~Payback
~Earthquake
~Rest

I'm honestly surprised that nobody's suggested this sort of set already. Maggyo has nice HP and Special Defense, why not take advantage of those? Curse boosts Maggyo's meh Attack and Defense to usable levels, and lowers its Speed. Payback goes nicely with the speed drop from Curse, and is also why I specify Limber over Static- you don't want to risk paralyzing something and having Payback go first. Defeats the whole purpose of the move. EQ is for STAB and power, and Rest is for recovery.

I'm also amused at how activity in this thread ground to a screeching halt right after you were all told to stop with the memes and dissing Maggyo's looks.

Limber doesn't prevent you from paralyzing the opponent. Just fyi. Just go Sand Veil once it's released.

*EDIT* For some reason I thought Discharge was on that set. Nevermind, carry on.

I don't know, this thing, while awesome...it's hard to figure out what exactly it should do. I think it has too many common weaknesses (Water, Grass AND Ice?) to be a boosting tank with a Curse set. It can't really abuse Pain Split with that 109 base HP either. Eh. Status seems the way to go.

I would imagine a SleepTalker would be very annoying to deal with, because of the always present chance to paralyze with Static while tanking. Swampert´s defenses were a disappointment for me, but as it was very popular, I might as well could give this guy a chance too.

Maggyo@Leftovers
252HP 252Def
+Def -Atk // Static

- Thunderbolt/Discharge
- Earth Power/Boiling Water
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

The reason I went fully physical defensive on the EVs is that most ice, grass and water attacks are special, so he can´t really use a special split, imo. The idea is to switch this into neutral/ineffective contact moves and hope for Static to kick in(for team support). When the need arises, rest up and let the fun start again. In theory, your opponent should be much more cautious of using contact moves carelessly, as it could very well cripple a sweeper of his team.
Only letdown here are the new sleep mechanics, which make resting up a second time kinda hard.

On being grass type lure, I must say that this isn´t necessarily a bad thing. Most used Grass type right now, outside of DW mode, is Nattorei, which is setup bait other bulky sweepers, such as Zuruzukin and Roobushin. That said, I´d totally use Maggyo to open up boosting possibilities for these threats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)