Suedo Rain-ishKindaSorta Team

Welcome!
Hey Smogon! Happy New Year! I'm BreadmanFTW, or Hab on Showdown, I'm new to the Smogon forums, but not at all new to NU. This NU team I have is a primarily offensive team, alot of which's threats are a combination of two pokes, Ludicolo and Beartic; both with the power of their synchronized swift swimming techniques. Also on the team, the assistance of Jynx, with Dry Skin (Rain side benefits ^-^), Choice Scarf Primeape, Defensive Mandibuzz, and not to mention the secret weapon, Raticate, which is probably one of the funnest unexpectedly good pokes there is to use in NU, but let's get to the in-depth analysis, shall we? :D

Team:

Mr. Quackers

Ludicolo @ Damp Rock
Ability: Swift Swim
EV Spread: 252 SAtk/252 Spe/4 HP
Modest Nature
-Rain Dance
-Surf/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Giga Drain

Ludicolo has to be the most dominant weather based sweeper in the entire NU tier. (Yes I said it, fuck you Gorebyss.) Used primarily as a lead in most situations, under the power of one rain dance boosted surf can potentially take out many threats, and its amazing coverage leaves very few types out of its stereotypical grasp. The setup requires very little time or effort, and is defiantly dangerous seeing as his speed is able to outspend many NU scarfed threats, and with combination of STAB and Rain boosted Surf or Hydro Pump, can be an unstoppable sweeper. Many prefer Life orb over damp rock, but I find that damp rock provides longer team support over pure damage from Ludicolo himself. Which segways us nicely into Ludicolo's new best friend:

UnBEARable
Beartic @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EV Spread: 252Atk/252 Spe/4 SpD
Adamant
Nature-Icicle Crash
-Superpower
-Stone Edge
-Aqua Jet

Here lies one of the most underused monsters in the NU tier; that's right; Beartic. With Ursaring being busy crushing villages, Beartic is busy destroying igloos and eating those who BEARS (bad pun so sorry) to stand in it sway. With a Swift Swim boost, Beartic becomes an incredible physical threat, raising his speed to a very respectable 398 in the rain, and hits extremely hard with STAB Icicle Crash, and moves such as Superpower and Stone Edge are very unexpected to most opponents. This set also gives Beartic the ability to threaten walls such as Mandibuzz and Lickilicky. Many would prefer Ursaring, but Beartic has a few additional things going for it, such as a priority aqua jet, outspeeding it in the rain, and allowing it to counter bulky grass types like Tangela MUCH better than Ursaring could. Checkmate, grizzly.

Vulchurro
Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EV Spread: 252 Def/252 HP/4 Atk
Impish Nature
-Foul Play
-Taunt
-Roost
-Toxic

When Mandibuzz was first introduced into NU through means of her losing her RU status, I didn't know what all the talk was about; that was, until I used her myself. Her incredible natural physical bulk, alongside access to multiple utility moves like taunt and roost, led her to being a very formidable wall. Taunting Audinos and Lickilickys into a never ending cycle of rage, Mandi is one NU defensive threat that should be a staple on nearly any team. Her toxic stall tactics can be top notch, along with Foul Play severely hurting strong physical attackers such as Ursaring and Swellow. All that and combined with her two immunities to Ground and Psychic, make her a massive defensive threat to any team.

Prostate Exam
Jynx @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EV Spread: 252 SAtk/252 Spd/4 SDef
Timid Nature
-Lovely Kiss
-Nasty Plot/Focus Blast
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Ice Beam

Ah, Jynx. You racist, makeup wearing, pop star impersonating, horny bastard. No man may love you, but us in the NU tier finds you to be either the worst thing to entire the tier since Blaziken was unbanned from OU, or the best thing to revitalize it. Jynx is a force in which no man nor woman can escape, her lovely kiss can almost instantly take a pokemon out of the game, and with nasty plot can set up Jynx as a much more than viable sweeper. Yes, her physical bulk leave much to be desired, but her sheer speed can outdo most non scarfed physical threats within the tier. Focus Blast is also a good alternative, giving it the ability to hit forces such as Probopass and the Regi's much better, but it would mean giving up one of Jynx's essential sweeping slots. Jynx is major threat as not only a late game sweeper, but as a revenge killer too. Not to also mention, the Rain Dance support from Ludicolo could also benefit Jynx, as it gives her health through Dry Skin, and may weaken Fire Types that Jynx has extreme trust issues with. All and all, Jynx is a fantastic Pokemon.

Primerape (Thanks for the name Haydunn!)
Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
EV Spread: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-U-Turn
-Punishment/Ice Punch

Primeape, the new hot fighting type in town. Giving Sawk and Gurdurr some competiton, Primeape enters the tier, ready to dominate opponents with lightning quick choice scarf attacks that outspeeds most of the tier. Close Combat provides unparalleled stab to opponents, easily doing massive chunks of damage to Lickilucky and any Regi that may pass his wake. Stone Edge provides great coverage for pesky flying types such as Golbat and Charizard, U-Turn for scouting and revenge killing, and the final slot. I prefer Punishment to handle Musharna's Calm Minds and other psychic threats, but ice punch can be a viable alternatives for those who look to hit ice types harder. All and all, choice scarf Primeape deserves that title belt, enjoy it buddy.

Blamblegam
Raticate @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EV Spread: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
-Facade
-Sucker Punch
-Reversal
-U-Turn

Now I guess its time to address the elephant in the room huh? Why Raticate you may ask? Well, for starters, Raticate has many, MANY unexpected and hidden features to it that can distinguish it from the mediocrity kiddy pool that it was once put in. Raticate can hit very hard while under a guts facade, and its quite fast too. Sucker Punch has saved me many of times when an unsuspecting Golurk tries to attack, providing a surprise factor too. Or maybe it is the surprise factor that someone is using a Raticate at all, otherwise I digress. Reversal grants it the ability to hit extrememly hard in low health situations, and U-Turn provides Raticate with the ability to survive another day and also scouting possibilities. While its bulk gives much to be desired, Raticate can and will prove to you its status as a viable NU Pokemon, given the chance.

I want to thank all of you who read the RMT thread, and I appreciate all of your input and suggestions, I hope to have tons of responses. Thank you all for reading, Happy 2014, and I hope to get more involved in the Smogon community in the future. Thank you! ^-^

This actually is a pretty solid team. That being said, there are some things that I would change. The fact is that you are extremely Sawk and Primeape weak right now, due to two weaknesses and no resists. Charizard and Articuno currently also blitz through your team with little to no effort, due to lack of stealth rocks on the field.

First thing is Life Orb over Damp Rock on ludicolo. This is due to the fact that Ludicolo has extremely abusable power, and appreciates the Life Orb boost more than extra rain turns. It also gives Ludicolo a way to function outside of rain rather than being a sitting duck!

Im going to suggest Golurk over beartic. While they play completely different roles, your team's lack of hazards makes you susceptible to things like Charizard and Focus Sash users. Golurk has similar offensive presence as beartic, meaning you won't lose much momentum, and offers you a very abusable form of entry hazards, which your primary sweepers in Jynx and Ludicolo really appreciate.

My last switch is Zangoose over Raticate. The fact is that Zangoose is better. While Raticate has similar coverage, lack of any distinctable bulk, weak attack, and lack of reliable priority makes it easy to check and revenge kill. Zangoose on the other hand fits the role much better, with a blisteringly high attack, superior overall bulk, more reliable attacks, and Close Combat, which is far more reliable than reversal, which means raticate will be walled until it is low on health by things such as Golem and Probopass. (Also has amazing synergy with Golurk)

248HP, 148DEF, 112SPE Ev spread on mandibuzz, to maximise its bulk while giving it enough speed to outspeed and OHKO opposing golurks, taunt Misdreavuses, etc. Basically epidimises Mandibuzz's "Physical Utility Check" ability.

Hope I helped! Cheers! :)

Golurk @ Leftovers / Expert Belt
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 180 Spd / 76 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Drain Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Stealth Rock

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- Night Slash
- Close Combat

What do you think about the switch of Golurk over Raticate? Because I feel as if alot of the strength in my teams lies with the Ludicolo and Beartic combination more than Raticate, and you're definantly right about the lack of entry hazzards, thank you for your input! I really appreciate it ^-^

Oh, do you think my team needs for defense to it? Or is the strategy alright as is without the need of a wall?

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think about the switch of Golurk over Raticate? Because I feel as if alot of the strength in my teams lies with the Ludicolo and Beartic combination more than Raticate, and you're definantly right about the lack of entry hazzards, thank you for your input! I really appreciate it ^-^

Oh, do you think my team needs for defense to it? Or is the strategy alright as is without the need of a wall?
Tbh Hyper Offense is a pretty cool playing style, which is why I selected Golurk as your Hazard Setter, due to no loss of offensive pressure.

That being said, I stand by my opinion of replacing Beartic for the sheer fact that it isn't good at all. Beartic is extremely slow outside of rain, and when caught under the downpour it is still outsped by the majority of viable NU scarfers. Honestly it is so absurdly easy to revenge kill that I don't feel that it carries weight on your team.

In the end it's your team, so you make the calls of what you are willing to do. I'm only here to give my honest opinion and rate. Cheers! :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)