Monotype Suggestion on My Water Balanced Team

Sorry but it is a SV monotype team. Should I delete it and post it under 'SV other teams'?

My Team info: [SV]Monotype-water (pokepast.es)

Hi! I have played Random Battle and VGC with rental teams for several time, but it is the first time to build my team. What I want to build is a balanced team, both to be offensive under rain and bulky enough.

:sv/quagsire:
Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 212 HP / 216 Def / 80 SpD
Impish Nature(+Def, -SpA)
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Recover
- Body Press

Physical Defensive and Entry Hazards. My favorite lead.
Reason for EVs:
1) 212 HP guaranteed that HP is divisible by 16.
2) 216+ Def guaranteed that Def is divisible by 10 before considering nature.
I don't like 252/252/4, so the EVs are not that standard. The same applies to the following EVs.
Reason for my Moves:
1) It is always a good choice to have entry hazards in 6-6 battles.
2) Toxic & Body Press have a good coverage. The damage of Body Press is similar with Liquidation, but non-STAB is more surprising.

:sv/quaquaval:
Quaquaval @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 Def / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature(+Spe, -SpA)
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Step
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Spinner, Physical Sweeper. There are only two choice for the spinner: Quaquaval and Tatsugirl. Tatsugiri is a rare special attacker, but the moves is too limited; Quaquaval overlaps with Barraskewda, but it is far more flexible.
Reason for my EVs:
1) 204+ Spe is faster than Dragapult after Rapid Spin/Aqua Step.
Reason for my moves:
1) Rapid Spin + STAB + U-Turn, powerful and flexible. Aqua Step seems not necessary, maybe Aqua Jet/Liquidation/Wave Crash/Brave Bird/etc. is better?

:sv/pelipper:
Pelipper @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Drizzle
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpA / 16 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature(+SpD, -Atk)
- Hurricane
- Hydro Pump
- Tailwind
- Roost

Balanced defensive one.
Reason for my EVs:
I think 252+ Def is too much, so I pay more EVs on SpD and SpA.
1)0 SpA Pelipper Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Pelipper: 135-160 (41.7 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
2)76 SpA Pelipper Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pelipper: 163-193 (50.4 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
3)76 SpA Pelipper Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Quaquaval: 312-368 (100.3 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
To be honest, the exactly EVs is not that meaningful.
Reason for my Moves:
1) I find few chances to use U-turn, so I replace it with tailwind.

:sv/barraskewda:
Barraskewda @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature(+Spe, -SpA)
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Ice Fang
- Aqua Jet

Physical Sweeper. Barraskewda is the most powerful sweeper in water type, so I include it in my team.
Reason for my Moves:
1) Ice Fang is a good choice to check fly type.
2) The whole team lacks priority moves, so I choose Aqua Jet as the last one.

:sv/rotom-wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 76 SpA / 8 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature(+Def, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder

Physical Defensive. Offensive Pivot.
Reason for my EVs:
1) 76 SpA guaranteed 2HKO Bulk up Corviknight
76 SpA Rotom-Wash Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corviknight: 216-254 (54 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
2)12 Spe is faster than Dragapult under Tailwind.
Reason for my Moves:
1) Corviknight is really annoying, especially the one with bulk up. A 76 SpA Rotom-Wash Thunder can guaranteed 2HKO it. Other moves are trivial.

:sv/toxapex:
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Calm Nature(+SpD, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Rain Dance
- Icy Wind

A special defensive Toxapex. The team lacks a special wall, so I choose a special defensive one.
Reason for my Moves:
1) Quagsire already have Toxic, so I choose Toxic Spikes.
2) Rain is important for my team, Toxapex is the best choice for rain dance
3) For the damage skill, I choose Icy Wind to control speed. Pounce has full accuracy, but Bug is not as good as Ice.

I've tried this team and it seems work well. I want to know which Pokemons are threatening to this team and how I can improve it. Thanks in advance:)

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to Monotype, i will help you with your Monotype team.
The team looks pretty fine but I really would avoid Peli (and Skewda) on a Balanced Water, I think those 2 are completely fine and strong as Water can only benefit from rain but for a Balanced team i just like to use other comps. I will then remove them and those will basically be the major changes, and then ill make also some other minor changes in the sets and explain you the reason therefore.

Major changes:
:slowking: > :pelipper: Our Special Defenser can be Slowking. Slack Off got nerfed but he is still fine this gen due to Chilly Reception. We will later change Pex to physical so Slowking surely does a good job by checking special threats, and can also pivot out. We just run a standard set withHDB to avoid getting worned down by hazards which are really relevant in this meta. As attack along with Future Sight you can just choose between a STAB or some coverage such as Ice Beam, Flamethrower or even Thunder Wave can be fine. I like Ice Beam and Thunder Wave.

:dondozo: > :barraskewda: As we don't have Peli, we can replace this with Dondozo. This mon is hated by a lot of people cause it is quite strong altho I am completely not a fond of it and I have been using other mons such as Cloyster or Gyarados, but he is solid so we can try him. Just a standard Curse set + Resttalk set which is really strong.

Code:
Dondozo @ Leftovers 
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD 
Careful Nature 
- Curse 
- Rest 
- Sleep Talk 
- Liquidation
Some people uses Max Def but I prefer SpDef more to be able to take some hits from special attackers such as QD Volcarona.

Minor Changes:

:toxapex: As I said earlier, we just want this to be Max Defense to help against some Grass mons such as Brambleghast and Breloom (which otherwise just 6-0es us) altho Spore still kinda beats (unless u really run things like Safety Googles)
You want to replace Icy Wind with Haze altho some setup sweepers can still be tough to wall even with Quagsire and you want Poison Jab>Rain Dance.

:quaquaval: Aqua Step is surely needed so keep it there, just make this Boots as you don't want to get worned down in any case as this is also your removal and you can just run 252+ Speed as you still want to outpace some mons such as Gholdengo or some mirrors with other Quaquaval's or even Ceruledge. U-turn is fine but I would suggest Ice Spinner or Aqua Jet here, even Swords Dance/ Bulk Up are cool options.

:rotom-wash: This really isn't VGC brother and we removed Pelipper so we can run a standard offensive Scarf set. A Special Defense set also works but Scarf can help with Speed Control as well as get rid of some annoying mons.

:quagsire: I believe you can just run Spikes over Stealth Rock here. Spikes can be more useful overall cause I don't really think there are really relevant mons out of Flying teams that you want to hit with Rocks if not like Washtom and Kilowattrel, but SR is still fine altho Spikes might give Quag more value.

The team with those changes would look like this:
https://pokepast.es/16aa1ab7f7ea7488This team should do fairly well on Ladder, I believe you can also just use some more Semi-Rain but this should be solid and get many playable matchups. You could eventually try Gastrodon>Quagsire or Gyarados>Dondozo.
Let me know if you have any questions

Hi and welcome to Monotype, i will help you with your Monotype team.
The team looks pretty fine but I really would avoid Peli (and Skewda) on a Balanced Water, I think those 2 are completely fine and strong as Water can only benefit from rain but for a Balanced team i just like to use other comps. I will then remove them and those will basically be the major changes, and then ill make also some other minor changes in the sets and explain you the reason therefore.

Major changes:
:slowking: > :pelipper: Our Special Defenser can be Slowking. Slack Off got nerfed but he is still fine this gen due to Chilly Reception. We will later change Pex to physical so Slowking surely does a good job by checking special threats, and can also pivot out. We just run a standard set withHDB to avoid getting worned down by hazards which are really relevant in this meta. As attack along with Future Sight you can just choose between a STAB or some coverage such as Ice Beam, Flamethrower or even Thunder Wave can be fine. I like Ice Beam and Thunder Wave.

:dondozo: > :barraskewda: As we don't have Peli, we can replace this with Dondozo. This mon is hated by a lot of people cause it is quite strong altho I am completely not a fond of it and I have been using other mons such as Cloyster or Gyarados, but he is solid so we can try him. Just a standard Curse set + Resttalk set which is really strong.

Code:
Dondozo @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Liquidation
Some people uses Max Def but I prefer SpDef more to be able to take some hits from special attackers such as QD Volcarona.

Minor Changes:

:toxapex: As I said earlier, we just want this to be Max Defense to help against some Grass mons such as Brambleghast and Breloom (which otherwise just 6-0es us) altho Spore still kinda beats (unless u really run things like Safety Googles)
You want to replace Icy Wind with Haze altho some setup sweepers can still be tough to wall even with Quagsire and you want Poison Jab>Rain Dance.

:quaquaval: Aqua Step is surely needed so keep it there, just make this Boots as you don't want to get worned down in any case as this is also your removal and you can just run 252+ Speed as you still want to outpace some mons such as Gholdengo or some mirrors with other Quaquaval's or even Ceruledge. U-turn is fine but I would suggest Ice Spinner or Aqua Jet here, even Swords Dance/ Bulk Up are cool options.

:rotom-wash: This really isn't VGC brother and we removed Pelipper so we can run a standard offensive Scarf set. A Special Defense set also works but Scarf can help with Speed Control as well as get rid of some annoying mons.

:quagsire: I believe you can just run Spikes over Stealth Rock here. Spikes can be more useful overall cause I don't really think there are really relevant mons out of Flying teams that you want to hit with Rocks if not like Washtom and Kilowattrel, but SR is still fine altho Spikes might give Quag more value.

The team with those changes would look like this:
https://pokepast.es/16aa1ab7f7ea7488This team should do fairly well on Ladder, I believe you can also just use some more Semi-Rain but this should be solid and get many playable matchups. You could eventually try Gastrodon>Quagsire or Gyarados>Dondozo.
Let me know if you have any questions
Thanks for your suggestion! I've tried this team, and it's really a bulky one. I even successfully beat 6 mons after I losing all my attackers.
A question is, how could I deal with Dondozo? Just the same one as you offered above. It seems that if I failed to trick him the choice scraf, little can I do with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)