Sun/Moon Good Cores Discussion Thread

Gen 7 has introduced a wealth of mons sure to make their presence felt in standard play this time around. While there are certainly a wealth of mind-boggling statspreads and abiltiies for trainers to fool around with, Pokemon has always been a game of team of combos, a sentiment which has been taken to the next level this generation with the introduction of 4 new automatic terrain setters. SkarmBliss, JellyThorn, and VoltTurn have left unforgettable impacts on past metas, and while we can't be sure of anything until the roster is available to everyone, terrific ideas have been floating around in various threads and chat rooms, so why not get to work compiling?

When posting cores, please try to include an explanation of non-252/252 EV spreads. Any cores which receive positive reviews from the community will be included in the archive below as cores to watch out for in SuMo. Please do not be lazy and assume we will automatically understand a core's function or utility. What may be obvious to you might be completely unviable in someone else's eyes.

Tapu Lele + Mega Zam
Magearna + Tapu Lele + Mega Diancie OR Mega Gardevoir
Tapu Lele + Pheromosa
Marshadow + Tapu Lele
Kartana + Tapu Fini + Heatran

Ferrothorn + Gliscor + Toxapex
Sableye-M + Toxapex
Hippowdon + Toxapex

Tapu Bulu + Heatran

Drizzle Pelipper + Tapu Koko
Drizzle Pelipper + Swampert

I'll start with what looks to be a premier semi-stall core in the making.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Def / 200 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost
- Earthquake

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Bold
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Baneful Bunker
- Haze

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
Explanation:
  • 3 immune to Poison, 2 immune to Spore
  • incredible defensive synergy
  • Defog/Toxic Spikes/Stealth Rock utility
  • anti-stall utility on both Gliscor and Toxapex
  • passive recovery options to limit cost of constant switches
  • 2 unaffected by Sandstorm
  • three of the best defensive abilities in the game in Poison Heal, Regenerator, & Iron Barbs

It's simple; Toxapex fears little from Close Combat and Flamethrower, Ferrothorn boasts major resistances to Psychic and Electric. Gliscor provides a much needed immunity to Earthquake, as well as a key resistance to Fighting (Ferrothorn) + immense physical bulk.

With the introduction of Tapu Koko and Xurkitree, as well as the return of old threats such as Magnezone, Manectric, and Raikou, Gliscor's ability to switch into Choice'd Thunderbolts and Wild Charges will be key in ensuring Toxapex' survivability. On this set, Toxapex is specially invested to give it the best possible shot at surviving LO Zam's Psychic, which OHKOs all variants without significant HP/SpD investment. Both Toxapex and Ferrothorn resist Gliscor's key weaknesses to Ice and Water.

Major threats:
M-Medicham's standard set of Hi Jump Kick/Zen Headbutt/Ice Punch/Fake Outposes a major threat, but is likely to cripple itself attempting to get through both Iron Barbs and Baneful Bunker. Another key threat is M-Metagross, who likewise hits each member of the core for supereffective damage on its most common moveset (Ice Punch/Zen Headbutt/Hammer Arm), and has the added boon of being immune to both Baneful Bunker and passive damage from Sandstorm. Hippoowdon can help on stall/semi-stall units.

Last edited:

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Oh, count me in!
Here's an VoltTurn core I have an idea for:
(Let's hope this works in singles...)

dNIdtK.png

Passimian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Receiver
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

082.png

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Discharge
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Explosion

A couple of notes:
- I'm running Explosion on Magneton so that Passimian can inherit MP. In the event that i'm in a bad matchup with, say, Excadrill/Heatran/HP Fire Magnezone etc. (and Magneton has nothing else to do) - I can explode, allow Pass' to copy Magnet Pull - trap the threat and kill it. Simple as.
- The slightly odd EV spreads is just me being OCD with numbers. Take them with a hypothetical grain of salt :D.

I will also build a full team around this come the time. Stay tuned!

EDIT: Discharge Hax could also open up paraflinch with Rock Slide, I guess...

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Pretty sure receiver/power of alchemy is confirmed not to work in singles.
Do you have any evidence for that? Or are you just presuming things?
Look at the description, and then look at the description of, say, Retaliate.

Receiver: The Pokémon copies the Ability of a defeated ally.

Retaliate: The user gets revenge for a fainted ally. If an ally fainted in the previous turn, this attack's damage increases.

I've been thinking about a pairing of Mimikyu, Drampa and Toxapex. It's not an ideal defensive core, since Drampa and Mimikyu, while not horribly frail, aren't tanking any hits either, but they do have good synergy type-wise. Drampa and Toxapex dealing with Mimikyu's Ghost and Steel weaknesses respectively, and Mimikyu has a handy immunity to Drampa's Dragon and Fighting weaknesses. The rest of the gaps are filled in with Toxapex, leaving weaknesses to just ground and psychic uncovered.

I'm thinking Toxapex and Drampa wittle down the opponents team with passive damage and superpowered Draco Meteors, and then Mimikyu comes in at the end with SD boosted shadow sneaks to clean up. Any ideas what the other 3 slots should go to?

Retaliate: The user gets revenge for a fainted ally. If an ally fainted in the previous turn, this attack's damage increases.
I think it was stated in one of the research threads here. I wish it worked in singles but it doesn't look like it.

Looks like Tapu Bulu is going to be an awesome addition to a FWG core, with the addition of Grassy Terrain really helping Fire type's ground weakness (considering 90% of ground moves are EQ/Bulldoze). Really wish Bulu had access to physical Fairy STAB, however.

Since nobody else has done it yet, though i know its coming

Drizzle Pelipper

+

Tapu Koko

Pelipper went from a low tier shitmon, outclassed by most things, that exists only to give Gen3 lovers nightmares to a Monsterous weather starter that gives everyone nightmares and is the best at what it does not in ubers. Pelippers niche is that, ontop of having Water STAB, Decent overall stats and Hurricane to abuse its own weather, is that it can U-Turn out. Tapu Koko is a great receiver of that Slowish U-Turn, setting up Electric Terrain to start spamming Perfectly Accurate Terrain boosted Thunders (To make up for its so-so Special Attack) and can Volt Switch out if in a pickle.

Standard U-Turn and Rain support can slot into this core, like all 3 Therians (Special Mention to Tornadus and Landorus who fulfil great offensive and Defensive niches respectively) Mega Manectric, Scizor or Swampert, and much much more. This core is so versatile i would not be shocked if it becomes the face of VoltTurn and Rain both.

Still brain storming sets and i suspect a more experienced user will probably beat me to the punch, but i'm really hyped for the potential of this core.

Already tested by yetanotherperson on page 9 of Mechanics Research thread. It doesn't work in singles

I think a trapping core with Decidueye/Dhelmise and Dugtrio/Magnezone could be good.

When you send out Decidueye or Dhelmise the opponent is likely to switch to a counter like a fire type or something that could wall them like a steel type and at that time you could bring in Dugtrio or Magnezone to trap and kill them.

My own terrible ideas personal thoughts (and I have no idea how good it will be in practice)
are a nice simple FWG core consisting of

(drumroll please)

Tapu Bulu

for the obvious benefit of grassy terrain, and for being a tanky and strong critter with lots of coverage. Why grassy terrain you ask?
well lets just find out.
Marowak-A

Marowak-A hits like a flaming truck and sucks up otherwise annoying electric attacks, and really really appreciates not having a ground weakness. (That lefties recovery is nice too)
Also, having Bonemerang gives Marowak the honour of having the strongest ground moves on the field.
But who to pair with these slow physically offensive mons? something good
Golisopod! Another slow physically offensive mon. Sensing a pattern here?

But what really makes Golisopod shine and separates it from the other two is that sweet sweet priority in First Impression, Aqua Jet, and maybe Sucker Punch. Golisopod pairs really nicely with Tapu Bulu, as they cover each other's weaknesses quite well.

This core could benefit a lot from a rapid spinner or defogger, I think. I'm not particularly experienced with teambuilding but I think this would work quite well.

My own terrible ideas personal thoughts (and I have no idea how good it will be in practice)

(drumroll please)

Tapu Bulu

for the obvious benefit of grassy terrain, and for being a tanky and strong critter with lots of coverage. Why grassy terrain you ask?
well lets just find out.
Marowak-A

Marowak-A hits like a flaming truck and sucks up otherwise annoying electric attacks, and really really appreciates not having a ground weakness. (That lefties recovery is nice too)
Also, having Bonemerang gives Marowak the honour of having the strongest ground moves on the field.

But what really makes Golisopod shine and separates it from the other two is that sweet sweet priority in First Impression, Aqua Jet, and maybe Sucker Punch. Golisopod pairs really nicely with Tapu Bulu, as they cover each other's weaknesses quite well.

This core could benefit a lot from a rapid spinner or defogger, I think. I'm not particularly experienced with teambuilding but I think this would work quite well.
I really like all these mons so I want this to be good lol. But yea I was thinking about doing a similar team but was having a hard time choosing a water type partner. I like Golisopod but not sure if he's the best choice.

I was also thinking about making it a Sun team, Torkoal provides stealth rock, rapid spin, and drought and sun light helps with Marowak's water weakness.

(drumroll please)

Tapu Bulu

well lets just find out.
Marowak-A

I've been thinking of a similar core however I have Empoleon over Golisopod. Empoleon resists all but one of Tapu Bulu's weaknesses while Tapu Bulu resists all of Empoleon's weaknesses and helps alleviate its ground weakness. Not only that but it also gives the core a Rock and Flying resistance as well as hazard control with Stealth Rock and Defog. It's a slow core without priority but it packs a ton of immunities and resistances.

I've been thinking of a similar core however I have Empoleon over Golisopod. Empoleon resists all but one of Tapu Bulu's weaknesses while Tapu Bulu resists all of Empoleon's weaknesses and helps alleviate its ground weakness. Not only that but it also gives the core a Rock and Flying resistance as well as hazard control with Stealth Rock and Defog. It's a slow core without priority but it packs a ton of immunities and resistances.
I've been playing around with a similar core for the VGC format. I think I've settled on a main Foursome of Gyarados, Tapu Bulu, A-Marowak, and Magnezone. They seem to have some good synergy but I'll ultimately want to test it first.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This core will definitely be feared by many, that I can see it even getting banned (Drizzle+Swift Swim).

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn
- Scald

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off

Pelipper sets up Rain thanks to its newfound Drizzle ability, U-Turns away into Swampert. Since Megas obtain their ability & speed on the turn they Mega Evolve, Mega Swampert will already reach 478 Speed with an Adamant nature on the first turn. On top of that, Swampert is immune to Pelipper's 4x weakness to Electric while resisting Rock. Ferrothorn then comes in to resist the Grass damage that Swampert is weak to. Finally, Pelipper can take the Fire & Fighting hits that Ferro is weak to.

Pelipper's EV spread & nature could do some fixing but overall I think this core will be very dangerous & popular within the OU metagame. You can even throw in Tapukoko in there for 100% accurate Thunders in Electric Terrain.

Fairy Spam (Magearna + Tapu Lele + Mega Diancie)

A type-spam core. Gen 7 introduced a ton of powerful fairies and gave a significant buff to Mega Diancie with the Mega Evolution changes. The game plan is simple: nuke stuff with Magearna and Tapu Lele to weaken common Fairy checks for RP Diancie's sweep. Psychic Terrain protects Diancie from Bullet Punches and Aqua Jets. Dugtrio and Magnezone work well with this core to trap Steels, and Magearna's Volt Switch can bring them in easily.

Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Aura Sphere

Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender / Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Focus Blast
- Taunt / Calm Mind

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Polish
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Earth Power

HP Fire and Ground/Fighting coverage are slashed on each member's sets. You can mix and match this coverage slot depending on how you want to handle Steel types. Magearna has 56 speed EVs to speed creep Skarmory so it can Volt Switch before Roost. The rest go into HP to take advantage of its respectable bulk and incredible typing. Diancie has 32 Atk EVs to OHKO the standard physically defensive Zapdos after SR.

Mega Gardevoir over Diancie also works. It benefits even more from Psychic Terrain than Diancie does, though it's worse against offensive teams.

Last edited:
I think that this core really has potential and I'm sure will be used in the future by someone more well-known than myself :P

Tapu Lele + Alakazam-Mega

Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychich Surge
EVs: 4 SpDef / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot/Energy Ball/Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball/Nature's Madness/Hidden Power

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Timid/Modest Nature
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball/Hidden Power [Fire]/Encore/Taunt/Hidden Power [Ice]

EV's and Moves are kind of up in the air at this point. I haven't been able to finalize anything due to the obvious lack of testing. In theory, this works like Bird-Spam did in X/Y and ORAS. Two hard hitting, fast 'Mons that weaken checks for the other. Tapu Lele has an effective Choice Specs on its Psychic move of choice as well as a movepool that allows it to hit a wide variety of 'Mons. It's partner, Alakazam, outspeeds basically everything notable. Partnering him with Tapu Lele helps it with some of the issues that it had. Firstly, it get its base 150 Speed the turn that it Megas, which is very nice. But additionally now, thanks to Psychic Surge, it is able to break through and OHKO things that it wasnt able to before, and it remedies a large weakness to priority. I don't have calcs at this particular moment, but it will be hitting with what is essentially a Specs STAB move coming off of a base 175 SpAtk (which Psychic/Shock anyways). Another thing that this core has which is unique is that it doesnt lose to weather abusers. Trace copies Swift Swim/Sand Rush (even Chlorophyll and Slush Rush) and should be able to knock out the opposing 'Mon. Teammates will obviously be needed to solve some typing/Chansey issues, but as long as you can maintain Psychic Terrain (no different than playing with Sandstorm or Rain), there is very few things stopping this, aside from a quick scarfer or a fat pink blob.

I really like all these mons so I want this to be good lol. But yea I was thinking about doing a similar team but was having a hard time choosing a water type partner. I like Golisopod but not sure if he's the best choice.

I was also thinking about making it a Sun team, Torkoal provides stealth rock, rapid spin, and drought and sun light helps with Marowak's water weakness.
Looking over this it seems like this team would have more to benefit from rain; considering that Sun further weakens Tapu Bulu's and Golisopod's weakness to fire while rain only weakens Marowak's. A two-for-one deal, I suppose I could say. Although... Torkoal would provide pretty much all the utility I could ever want. Hmm. Clear Smog White Smoke Torkoal new meta? Thank you for the suggestion.

I like how well Empoleon fits into the group but it lacks offensive presence compared to Golisopod, although now I'll end up running both I think. Having two water types isn't the worst thing in the world. Thank you for the suggestion.

Looking over this it seems like this team would have more to benefit from rain; considering that Sun further weakens Tapu Bulu's and Golisopod's weakness to fire while rain only weakens Marowak's. A two-for-one deal, I suppose I could say. Although... Torkoal would provide pretty much all the utility I could ever want. Hmm. Clear Smog White Smoke Torkoal new meta? Thank you for the suggestion.
Yea I've thought about rain too and it's probably better overall, I just wanna do sun cause I like grass types lol. I was thinking of using chlorophyll Venusuar or contrary Serperior as a sweeper but they generally want to run HP fire anyways so idk how much Marowak would really help them also Mega Zard Y seems like the obvious choice for a sun team Mega but he gets nothing from grassy terrain. I do wonder though if the sun boost nets Marowak any additional OHKO's with Flare Blitz, or if rain takes any away. That would be another thing to look at.

I'd figure we can use the term Trapper Core here, but more along the lines of a balanced team if we are trying to stick with terms already used here

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Memento

Everyone's favorite OG trapper! Pretty simple idea, switch it in on something it can trap without taking much in return, and try to get the kill. Use memento on a poke that can be made easy Set-up bait for another mon (dragon dance, swords dance, etc). Covers decidueye's and magnezone's weakness to fire, and can help magnezone with steel types if it gets overloaded.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Magnezone takes care of steel and flying types for decidueye, and kills waters for dugtrio. Volt switch to keep momentum. Covers decidueye's weakness to flying, ice, and dugtrio's weakness to grass, ice, and water.

Decidueye @ Leftovers
Ability: Long Reach
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 240 SpD
Careful Nature
- U-Turn
- Roost
- Leaf Blade
- Spirit Shackles

With 248 HP, 240 SpD, and a Careful Nature, Decidueye can tank hits from most special attackers in OU with at least 2HKOs, but mostly 3HKOs from most special attacks. The 20 Atk is leftover EVs that help it with 2HKOs on bulky psychic types like lati@s, celebi, jirachi, etc. My calcs for damage dealt to/by decidueye is linked here
20 Atk Decidueye Spectral Shackles vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 222-264 (74.2 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
also high chance of killing after stealth rocks

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Decidueye: 200-238 (55.7 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

20 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 150-176 (35.7 - 41.9%) -- 83.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
maximum damage taken in return 0 Atk Hippowdon Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Decidueye: 101-119 (28.1 - 33.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

20 Atk Decidueye Spectral Shackles vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Latias: 162-192 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- 19.1% chance to 2HKO

0 SpA Mega Latias Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Decidueye: 126-150 (35 - 41.7%) -- 80.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

20 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 336-400 (85.2 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

I would calc chansey but with possible eviolite nerf idk if its going to be used or not. Either way chansey needs to toxic it in order to kill, it cant hit it

20 Atk Decidueye Spectral Shackles vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 186-222 (46 - 54.9%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Jirachi Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Decidueye: 174-206 (48.4 - 57.3%) -- 41.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

20 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 228-270 (70.5 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Decidueye: 132-156 (36.7 - 43.4%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

20 Atk Decidueye Spectral Shackles vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 186-222 (46 - 54.9%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

20 Atk Decidueye Spectral Shackles vs. 16 HP / 8 Def Mega Gardevoir: 264-312 (93.9 - 111%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Decidueye: 196-232 (54.5 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

20 Atk Decidueye Spectral Shackles vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 282-332 (108.8 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Decidueye: 250-296 (69.6 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Decidueye: 90-106 (25 - 29.5%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Decidueye: 146-174 (40.6 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Slowbro Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Decidueye: 109-130 (30.3 - 36.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Decidueye: 156-185 (43.4 - 51.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

20 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 240-284 (92.6 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Decidueye: 122-146 (33.9 - 40.6%) -- 43.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Decidueye also covers dugtrio's weakness to water, and grass, and covers magnezone's weakness to ground and fighting. The only coverage needed afterwords would be anti-dark.

The role decidueye plays on this team is that it comes in on resisted hits or hits that are at least 3HKOs, for example, CB azumarill waterfall, latios after draco meteor, M-Manectric, etc. When it enters, it uses Spirit Shackle on the opponent, most likely the opponent would have switched out from their previous mon into something that will likely beat decidueye 1v1, examples are heatran, mega-metagross, mega diancie, mega scizor, etc. Shackles will prevent them from doubling out into another mon so long as they dont have access to U-Turn or Volt switch. Decidueye either has the option of hard switching out into another trapper like dugtrio and magnezone, U-turn/baton pass out into one of these mons and continuing the trap, or switching into another counter/resist. Options for the set include access to defog for hazard removal, toxic for long term damage, Swords dance alongside baton pass if you can take hits from opponents.

Benefits to this team include a volt-turn core between Magnezone and Decidueye which allow momentum to be controlled by you over the course of the match, access to 3 different trappers capable of beating many OU mons in the current ORAS meta, and overall fantastic coverage between the three mons. Possible teamates include fairy types like mega-diancie, clefable, and the tapus.

Credit to Lost Thoughts for the original idea, its pretty brilliant the more I think about it

Last edited:
i've seen some stuff around about bulu being a good duo with incineroar, so here is my take on a doubles set. tinkertock from the litten line analysis thread mentioned a lot of the points in here, so credits to him!

Tapu Bulu @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 236 Def
Impish Nature
- Horn Leech
- Zen Headbutt
- Nature's Madness/Megahorn
- Toxic

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Atk / 88 SpDef
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Darkest Lariat/Throat Chop
- Leech Life/U-Turn/Cross Chop

I tried to edge it more towards a balance/defense/terrain core that focuses on using Incineroar's damage and overall bulk to take out threats and using Tapu Bulu as a offensive support mon.

Tapu Bulu acts as a terrain setter and Incineroar's partner. It can take care of Incineroar's weaknesses, it hits Rock/Water/Ground types hard with Horn Leech and can hit Fighting types hard with Zen Headbutt with a 130 base atk stat. Tapu Bulu can use Megahorn or Nature's Madness as a flex option, and can use Toxic as a chip option for tankier mons to force them out of the field and out of Grassy Terrain's healing effects. Leech Seed could be used, but Leech Seed would really only be viable if Grassy Terrain was ironically not up, leech seed deals 1/16 damage, and Grassy Terrain heals 1/16. Terrain Extender a great item for increasing Bulu and Incineroar's survivability, especially with Bulu being able to run Horn Leech. Tapu Bulu's ability setting up Grassy Terrain also helps as a general support option as it decreases the power of eq by 50%, allowing Incineroar to take a measly 50 power eq very healthy with 95/90/90 bulk and allowing other mons on it's team to take hits from eq while supporting them with healing. The 16 Atk / 236 Def EVs can be easily changed for 4 Atk / 252 Def, but the 16 Atk EVs get it just to 300 Atk with Impish.

Incineroar is Bulu's partner in crime, and acts as a special tank or pivot that can hit what Bulu can't hard. Incineroar takes care of Bulu's Steel and Ice weakness with Flare Blitz, while hitting everything else decently hard. Incineroar can run Fake Out to give a free turn to Bulu or its team if it wants to act like a pivot with u-turn, and with the added bonus of giving a free turn to its ally. Darkest Lariat and Throat Chop can be switched around for different purposes, Darkest Lariat is a good Dark type move that hits a tiny bit harder than Crunch and has the added effect of ignoring defense boosts, it can run Throat Chop as a flex option against mons that want to spam sound moves like Sylveon. It's last move can be Leech Life for more health regenerating action, U-turn for more of a slower pivot mon, or Cross Chop for a fighting coverage move. Not only that, but Incineroar gets a very nice addition to it's already great bulk in Intimidate (which is also extremely useful in doubles!), essentially making it and Bulu tankier, allowing them to take more hits while healing up their damage with Grassy Terrain. Incineroar could also be given a more defensive set with options like Snarl or Will-O-Wisp or even a set-up set with bulk up. 166 Atk/88 SpDef EVs give Incineroar around 357 SpDef with AV, which is very respectable paired with 337 HP.

A big issue that will occur with this team is the lack of speed; these are two slow mons that abuse the constant healing to their advantage to deal as much damage while staying healthy with Grassy Terrain. Another issue is that Tapu Bulu doesn't have a physical fairy stab, making it miss out on a huge coverage option for Incineroar and the rest of its team. Incineroar also has it's issue in that it can't cover for a few of Bulu's weaknesses, particularly Flying, Fire, and Poison. Since Grassy Terrain reduces the damage done by Earthquake, it makes it redundant to run it on Incineroar as it won't be doing damage to Poison or Fire type with the reduced damage from Earthquake, and it doesn't have any other Ground type moves in it's arsenal other than hidden power ground. Incineroar can hit flying types hard, but doesn't have anything super effective against them in it's kit. Another issue with using these two as a duo is that they have no special attack power. These mons hit very hard physically, but can get walled easily by high defense tanks.

despite that however, this is still a strong duo to be afraid of. if anyone has any suggestions or changes, this is my first write-up of a core so the feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Figure I'd call dibs on Decidueye + Dugtrio + Magnezone core

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Memento

Everyone's favorite OG trapper! Pretty simple idea, switch it in on something it can trap without taking much in return, and try to get the kill. Use memento on a poke that can be made easy Set-up bait for another mon (dragon dance, swords dance, etc)

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Magnezone takes care of steel and flying types for decidueye, and kills waters for dugtrio. Volt switch to keep momentum

Decidueye @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 240 SpD
Careful Nature
- U-Turn
- Roost
- Leaf Blade
- Spirit Shackles

The basic idea of this core is to be able to trap a mon that switches in on decidueye (most likely would be fire, steel, dark, something that can beat decidueye) and gets trapped by decidueye's spirit shackle. Switch in dugtrio or magnezone depeding on the necessary trap through U-Turn, and punish. Noticeably includes a volt-turn core between magnezone and decidueye. Not my original idea will link OG idea

Credit to Lost Thoughts for the original idea, its pretty brilliant the more I think about it
Also as LT pointed out in his original post you could baton pass out instead with Decidueye.

And you could just switch too if it's a hit he wouldn't want to tank but of course that means Dugtrio or Magnezone gotta take it.

I'm a bit new here, but I've been using the recent stat leaks to prepare for an in-game team. In doing so, I found one FWG core that might do ok in OU, and maybe very well in UU:

Incineroar @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: No
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Darkest Lariat (Knock off hopefully with tutors)
- Cross Chop/Throat Chop
- U-turn

Decidueye @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Hp / 32 Def / 224 SpD (Will need help here, and somewhat dependent on the new meta)
Careful Nature
- Spirit Shackle
- Roost
- Baton Pass/Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance/Substitute

Rotom-W Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 Hp / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will O' Wisp
- Pain Split/Thunder Wave

Possible Teammates: M-Scizor, Golisopod

The goal of this team is to maintain your momentum while also robbing your opponent's momentum. Decidueye and Incineroar actually cover each others' weaknesses fairly well, with only Rock and Flying moves posing an issue for this team, which Rotom-Wash can check with its defensive typing and moves. In addition, adding a steel type to this core help tremendously, with M-Scizor being the top choice for a teammate due to its ability to heal and maintain momentum with U-turn.

Your goal for this team is to ensure Decidueye can come in on something it counters and fire off a Spirit Shackle. Your opponent will usually switch to a check or a counter, which will then be stuck with him. If its a check that cannot truly threaten you back, you can now feel free to setup on it with sword dance or make a substitute while maintaining Hp with roost. Once you have boosted, your next best option will be to baton pass to Incineroar due to its ability to threaten most of Decidueye's checks and counters. With intimidate, Incineroar comes in with a bit of bulk on most physical threats and can then nuke the opponent, regardless if they stay in or switch. If incineroar is not the best choice, however, M-scizor or Rotom can come in to tank a hit and pivot back into Decidueye to begin the cycle anew. What's nice is that Decidueye can baton pass sword dance boosts, so you can choose to forgo swords dance on M-Scizor to add another coverage option or perhaps defog which works with momentum for your team.

Number one rule of studying new gen mechanics: never trust descriptions to actually tell you what's happening. Example: water bubble.

Also as LT pointed out in his original post you could baton pass out instead with Decidueye.

And you could just switch too if it's a hit he wouldn't want to tank but of course that means Dugtrio or Magnezone gotta take it.
Trap passing was removed in gen 5, I just learned this a few days ago as well.

I think just about any fast and frail mon pairs very well with Tapu Lele, but for now, I'll use Marshadow even if it's gonna start off unreleased:

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Sneak

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid/Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast

Psychic Surge support is going to revolutionize the metagame, in my eyes, shutting down priority moves as well as boosting Psychic attacks to obscene levels of power, and they decided to give this to a mon that also just so happens to be Fairy type.

Tapu Lele makes for a great scarfer, in my opinion. It can't be revenge-killed by priority, such as Espeed from DD Dragonite or Bisharp's Sucker Punch. This means that the only way to revenge-kill Scarfed Lele is to use a faster Scarfer or bring in a resist to the move it's locked in to. While Timid will be the preferred nature to be able to outrun Scarf Landorus-T, I also have Modest slashed because of this:

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 286-337 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

With Modest, you can murder Chansey on the switchin with Psyshock, and since you're scarfed in a terrain that blocks priority, you're also a menace to offensive teams.

Psyshock and Moonblast are standard STABs while HP Fire hurts Scizor (which can't bullet punch you in psychic terrain) and hurts Ferrothorn safely. Focus Blast lets you hurt Heatran.

Meanwhile, Marshadow is easily one of the best Sun and Moon Pokemon revealed so far, and it hugely benefits from Psychic Terrain support, as it also cannot be Shadow Sneaked, Sucker Punched or Bullet Punched by anything when the terrain is up. Its Fighting typing allows it to adequately check Heatran for Tapu Lele, which has to rely on the often-unreliable Focus Blast to do any sort of damage to it. It can also murder Chansey and other special walls for Timid variants of Scarf Tapu Lele.

Spectral Thief and Close Combat are very strong STABs for Marshadow. 40 SpA Technician HP Ice guarantees the OHKO on defensive Landorus-T with max HP and 8 SpDef investment, and does much more damage to TankChomp than Ice Punch ever can. While Psychic Terrain is on the team, Shadow Sneak is on the set to be used outside of the terrain as a nice Technician-boosted priority move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)