Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Automize Celesteela & Magnet pull Magnezone make a good pair together. Magnezone gets rid of things like Steel/bug types & Skarmory which physical Celesteela can't muscle past. Once these are gone, Celesteela can easily set up an automize and sweep late game with beast boost procs. The speed on Celesteela lets it outspeed positive base 135's after an automize.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Fairy Spam (Magearna + Tapu Lele + Mega Diancie)

A type-spam core. Gen 7 introduced a ton of powerful fairies and gave a significant buff to Mega Diancie with the Mega Evolution changes. The game plan is simple: nuke stuff with Magearna and Tapu Lele to weaken common Fairy checks for RP Diancie's sweep. Psychic Terrain protects Diancie from Bullet Punches and Aqua Jets. Dugtrio and Magnezone work well with this core to trap Steels, and Magearna's Volt Switch can bring them in easily.

Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Aura Sphere

Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender / Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Focus Blast
- Taunt / Calm Mind

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Polish
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Earth Power

HP Fire and Ground/Fighting coverage are slashed on each member's sets. You can mix and match this coverage slot depending on how you want to handle Steel types. Magearna has 56 speed EVs to speed creep Skarmory so it can Volt Switch before Roost. The rest go into HP to take advantage of its respectable bulk and incredible typing. Diancie has 32 Atk EVs to 2HKO the standard physically defensive Zapdos.

Mega Gardevoir over Diancie also works. It benefits even more from Psychic Terrain than Diancie does, though it's worse against offensive teams.
Is a terrain extender confirmed to be a thing? Or is it just hopeful theory?

Could also just add a fast dark type, might even wanna go with a dark type mega like Sharpedo or Gyrados.

Personally I wanna use Mega Beedrill just cause I like him and he is getting buffed by the changes to mega evolution but he's probably not the best choice. A fast U-turn'er could be a good addition though and the team definitely needs a heavy hitter.

Edit: Bulu/Marowak/Toxicroak/Bisharp have no weaknesses and 7 immunities between them. I wonder if you can make a team where you have immunities to every type... and if that team would be any good.
I'm pretty sure that not every type has a way to gain an immunity to that type, like rock for example. Shame. Personally I think trying to make a team where you just prioritize immunities would be sort of situational; but when it worked it would work quite well.

Teambuilding around Tapu Bulu (The objectively subjectively best one) is going to be a lot of fun with the myriad options that Grassy Terrain (and a base 180 power Wood Hammer) brings to the table. Not being weak to ground is something I underestimated a lot, and a lot of mons appreciate the leftovers boost too. (Sidenote: Leftovers now heals off at exactly the same rate as burn damage, making anyone not physically offensive perfectly fine with a burn)

A few things to note for people who didn't read the battle mechanics research thread: Aurora Veil stacks with screens (I assume this means quarter damage taken), is extended by light clay, remains when hail ends, and is removed by defog

+
/
/
/ etc.

I think "triple screens" is either going to be gimmicky garbage, or hot broken cancer. It's hard to tell without using it.

Alola Ninetales is the only user of Aurora Veil that also gets Snow Warning, and with its nice speed, it's unarguably the best Aurora Veil setter. The only question is what dual screener to use:
-Espeon has Magic Bounce, which will block defog from clearing screens on your side, preventing you from losing your hard work. It is also quite fast. However, it otherwise doesn't mesh well with A-tales, resisting nothing that it is weak to, while A-tales only covers Espeon's Bug and Dark weakness
-Klefki has priority screens, which let it set them up in otherwise dire situations, and it has a nice typing
-Bronzong can also set stealth rock, and defensively it works the best with A-tales, resisting rock and steel and being immune to poison, while A-tales is resistant to dark. It is also quite bulky.
-Not many other setters are any good. Starmie is conceivably also pretty good, meshing almost as good with A-tales as Bronzong does, is able to absorb status, and comes with Recover. A-tales resists/is immune to everything Latias is weak to, sans Ghost, and Latias brings nice resists, speed, and recovery to the table.

Once you have the setters, building a team around it is probably not so hard, since anything works when it's only taking quarter damage.
-Mega Sableye is good as it provides the defensive Magic Bounce to prevent defog, and is also immune to Brick Break and Psychic Fang to boot.
-Slush Rush pokemon might be decent to take advantage of A-tale's hail, but without Icy Rock, it only lasts five turns, I'd personally rather use an Agility/Rock Polish user.
-Basically any strong, preferably fast set-up sweeper will work. Even things you don't think will work. Like:
-2 252 Atk Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol through Reflect: 75-89 (27.6 - 32.8%)
-2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol through Reflect: 210-247 (77.4 - 91.1%)

Look at this shit. Quarter damage is REALLY strong, and basically any pokemon gets the opportunity to set-up with it, or switch in with near impunity. I'd still stick to moderately bulky pokemon though, because they go from tanky to free turns forever when taking only 25% from insane attacks like Mega Mawile's Play Rough. Plus, in a lot of situations, you're only likely to get one set of screens up.

Last edited:

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
-Espeon has Magic Bounce, which will block defog from clearing screens on your side, preventing you from losing your hard work. It is also quite fast. However, it otherwise doesn't mesh well with A-tales, resisting nothing that it is weak to, while A-tales only covers Espeon's Bug and Dark weakness
I don't think Magic Bounce will help you with Defog tbh. Magic Bounce changes the user of the move - and note how Defog removes hazards from both sides. Say I tried to defog a Mega Sableye: it then uses Defog in my place, and then both sides SR etc. get removed.

I don't think Magic Bounce will help you with Defog tbh. Magic Bounce changes the user of the move - and note how Defog removes hazards from both sides. Say I tried to defog a Mega Sableye: it then uses Defog in my place, and then both sides SR etc. get removed.
Using Defog doesn't remove screens from your side of the field, so a bounced Defog doesn't remove your screens either.

Teambuilding around Tapu Bulu (The objectively subjectively best one) is going to be a lot of fun with the myriad options that Grassy Terrain (and a base 180 power Wood Hammer) brings to the table. Not being weak to ground is something I underestimated a lot, and a lot of mons appreciate the leftovers boost too. (Sidenote: Leftovers now heals off at exactly the same rate as burn damage, making anyone not physically offensive perfectly fine with a burn)
Thinking more about this Bulu/Marowak stuff (I really want Marowak to work lol) and I think the team would actually benefit from some slow u-turn/volt switch not fast like I was thinking before.

Building the team around the idea of powerful attackers with good resistances is cool but they're still vulnerable to being worn down by hazards and just taking hits on switch in and many of them are slow so even if they can 1 or 2 hit KO allot of things once they're worn down they're probably just going to die since they don't outspeed much. Some tanky mons with slow u-turn/volt switch could really help by bringing one of your slow but dangerous attackers, like Marowak, in safely and then it's your opponent who has to worry about switching not you.

So we want to get rid of hazards, we want slow u-turn/volt switch, and we want to make the enemy do allot of switching since our high attack but slow mons are strongest when hitting things on the switch in. Enter Decidueye. He has Defog, slow u-turn with decent defenses and recovery moves, and spirit shackle just adds to the whole theme of "you have to switch but you also might get screwed if you switch".

Another interesting option is Gumshoos, he's slow but absolutely murders switch ins and he is immune to ghost making him a decent partner for Marowak and Deciueye while they cover his fighting weakness. He might be too slow/frail to really work but man does he hit hard if you can force your opponent to switch.

I think that this core really has potential and I'm sure will be used in the future by someone more well-known than myself :P

Tapu Lele + Alakazam-Mega

Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychich Surge
EVs: 4 SpDef / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot/Energy Ball/Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball/Nature's Madness/Hidden Power

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Timid/Modest Nature
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball/Hidden Power [Fire]/Encore/Taunt/Hidden Power [Ice]

EV's and Moves are kind of up in the air at this point. I haven't been able to finalize anything due to the obvious lack of testing. In theory, this works like Bird-Spam did in X/Y and ORAS. Two hard hitting, fast 'Mons that weaken checks for the other. Tapu Lele has an effective Choice Specs on its Psychic move of choice as well as a movepool that allows it to hit a wide variety of 'Mons. It's partner, Alakazam, outspeeds basically everything notable. Partnering him with Tapu Lele helps it with some of the issues that it had. Firstly, it get its base 150 Speed the turn that it Megas, which is very nice. But additionally now, thanks to Psychic Surge, it is able to break through and OHKO things that it wasnt able to before, and it remedies a large weakness to priority. I don't have calcs at this particular moment, but it will be hitting with what is essentially a Specs STAB move coming off of a base 175 SpAtk (which Psychic/Shock anyways). Another thing that this core has which is unique is that it doesnt lose to weather abusers. Trace copies Swift Swim/Sand Rush (even Chlorophyll and Slush Rush) and should be able to knock out the opposing 'Mon. Teammates will obviously be needed to solve some typing/Chansey issues, but as long as you can maintain Psychic Terrain (no different than playing with Sandstorm or Rain), there is very few things stopping this, aside from a quick scarfer or a fat pink blob.

Really think the above core highlights the importance of Alakazam in the new meta. Since its return to standard play, Zam (more specifically, Mega Zam) has only had three natural predators: priority, faster attackers (none unscarfed), and an inability to take unresisted hits. The introduction of Tapu Lele and the change in the Mega evolution speed calculator eliminates all of its priority-reliant checks while granting Zam the ability to act as a last resort cleaner of sorts capable of dealing with just about every fast threat in the tier save Latias. I would posit the following partnership not necessarily as a core, but rather a decent team option under Psychic Terrain.

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpE
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off/Pursuit

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 SpE
Timid/Modest Nature
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball/Hidden Power Fire/Taunt​

Explanation:
  • Iron Head is a decent substitute for Bullet Punch in terms of power
  • Gives Scizor surprise factor against Scarf Magnezone, Heatran
  • Great offensive synergy as Scizor beats out all of Zam's remaining checks under Psychic Terrain (Latias, Slowbro, Tyranitar)
  • Scarfed U-turn sure to open up plenty of opportunities for Zam's safe entry
  • Scarfed Superpower lessens Zam's dependency on Focus Blast for crucial kills (Tyranitar)
  • (under Psychic Terrain) Scizor is immune to Tapu Lele's Poison weakness while also resisting Steel, Tapu Lele's great special bulk allows it to shrug off unboosted Fire Blasts which would otherwise incinerate Scizor
Under Psychic Terrain, Zam's only real checks are the scarfers on which it forgoes coverage (i.e. Landorus-T if Zam doesn't run HP Ice), Chansey, Tyranitar (Focus Blast is unreliable), and defensive Slowbro/Latias, and bulky fairies. Who do we know of that handles all of these with ease?

I believe that the indirect nerfing of Bullet Punch via Psychic Terrain will lead to the resurgence of Choice Scarf Scizor. Before laughing, keep in mind that the primary criticism of Scarf Scizor was its inability to hit a number of premier threats in the tier for good damage given the odd coverage provided by its STAB moves. In a meta where 8-11 fairies are likely to see play in standard (Lele, Bulu, Koko, Fini, M-Diancie, Magearna, Azu, M-Altaria, Clefable, M-Gard), Scarfed Iron Head nets KOs against Lele (though doesn't outspeed), Bulu, Koko, M-Diancie, Clefable, and Gardevoir while the neutering of Bullet Punch. While Scarfed Iron Head doesn't hit as hard as Banded Bullet Punch, you gain the ability to beat all Magnezone variants via Scarfed Superpower, as well as the ability to surprise a number of threats that traditionally beat Scizor, namely Heatran. Given Scizor's well known proficiency at revenge killing via U-Turn, you gain plenty of opportunities to pivot to Zam in emergency situations (say, beating Excadrill in sand.)

252+ Atk Scizor Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 366-432 (130.2 - 153.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Scizor Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Tapu Lele: 314-372 (91.2 - 108.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Scizor Iron Head vs. 44 HP / 0+ Def Tapu Bulu: 234-276 (80.1 - 94.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Scizor Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 274-324 (84.8 - 100.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Scizor Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Magnezone: 254-300 (90.3 - 106.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Scizor Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 382-450 (59.5 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Scizor U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Latias: 276-326 (75.8 - 89.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Scizor Superpower vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 532-628 (145.3 - 171.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Scizor U-turn vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 302-356 (101 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Scizor Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Wall Clefable: 254-300 (64.6 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Scizor Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 302-356 (76.6 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
tapu bulu.png

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band / Terrain Extender
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt / Megahorn

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze --> Tough Claws
EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

A basic FWG core that appreciates the Grassy Terrain Tapu Bulu provides. Mega Charizard X and Tapu Bulu pair each other really well as both have great offensive and defensive synergy.
  • Tapu Bulu handles Zard X's biggest checks, such as Azumarill, Tyranitar, and Landorus-T. Thanks to its incredible power, it can break down bulky cores to pave way for a Charizard sweep.
  • Mega Charizard X absorbs Steel- and Fire-type moves, Knock Off, and burns for Tapu Bulu. It also destroys Pokemon that trouble Tapu Bulu, such as Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur. Mega Charizard X benefits from Grassy Terrain a lot as it halves damage form incoming Earthquakes and grant it passive recovery. A bulky DD spread is chosen for longevity (thanks to Roost and Grassy Terrain recovery), allowing it to grab more boosts.
  • Starmie is the final member of the core. It grants utility in hazard removal and status absorption. It also checks Heatran, a Pokemon both Zard X and Tapu Bulu despise. Psychic STAB also helps with Tapu Bulu's double weakness to Poison. Leftovers, Recover, and Grassy Terrain recovery grant it a lot of longevity as well.

View attachment 73531
Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band / Terrain Extender
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt / Megahorn

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze --> Tough Claws
EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

A basic FWG core that appreciates the Grassy Terrain Tapu Bulu provides. Mega Charizard X and Tapu Bulu pair each other really well as both have great offensive and defensive synergy.
  • Tapu Bulu handles Zard X's biggest checks, such as Azumarill, Tyranitar, and Landorus-T. Thanks to its incredible power, it can break down bulky cores to pave way for a Charizard sweep.
  • Mega Charizard X absorbs Steel- and Fire-type moves, Knock Off, and burns for Tapu Bulu. It also destroys Pokemon that trouble Tapu Bulu, such as Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur. Mega Charizard X benefits from Grassy Terrain a lot as it halves damage form incoming Earthquakes and grant it passive recovery. A bulky DD spread is chosen for longevity (thanks to Roost and Grassy Terrain recovery), allowing it to grab more boosts.
  • Starmie is the final member of the core. It grants utility in hazard removal and status absorption. It also checks Heatran, a Pokemon both Zard X and Tapu Bulu despise. Psychic STAB also helps with Tapu Bulu's double weakness to Poison. Leftovers, Recover, and Grassy Terrain recovery grant it a lot of longevity as well.
I like this core despite being pretty weak to any rock attacks. However, I think Starmie should be offensive to help break more physical walls. Moreover, if you're gonna run Psyshock to punish poison types, you'll need the life orb power to do anything more than 50%.

Thinking more about this Bulu/Marowak stuff (I really want Marowak to work lol) and I think the team would actually benefit from some slow u-turn/volt switch not fast like I was thinking before.

Building the team around the idea of powerful attackers with good resistances is cool but they're still vulnerable to being worn down by hazards and just taking hits on switch in and many of them are slow so even if they can 1 or 2 hit KO allot of things once they're worn down they're probably just going to die since they don't outspeed much. Some tanky mons with slow u-turn/volt switch could really help by bringing one of your slow but dangerous attackers, like Marowak, in safely and then it's your opponent who has to worry about switching not you.

So we want to get rid of hazards, we want slow u-turn/volt switch, and we want to make the enemy do allot of switching since our high attack but slow mons are strongest when hitting things on the switch in. Enter Decidueye. He has Defog, slow u-turn with decent defenses and recovery moves, and spirit shackle just adds to the whole theme of "you have to switch but you also might get screwed if you switch".

Another interesting option is Gumshoos, he's slow but absolutely murders switch ins and he is immune to ghost making him a decent partner for Marowak and Deciueye while they cover his fighting weakness. He might be too slow/frail to really work but man does he hit hard if you can force your opponent to switch.
I was thinking about both of these 'Mons over the day on my own, and Decidueye sounds very appealing. Gumshoos is an interesting beast, I'll give you that. But looking over this almost no special options have been suggested. A normal option sounds appealing for even more immunities, and Gumshoos fits the bill for a slow pokemon that hits like a truck. Mmm... Maybe Vikavolt? As a slow volt-turner I don't think anything is quite as slow or quite as powerful offensively. And another immunity is always nice to have.

I was thinking about both of these 'Mons over the day on my own, and Decidueye sounds very appealing. Gumshoos is an interesting beast, I'll give you that. But looking over this almost no special options have been suggested. A normal option sounds appealing for even more immunities, and Gumshoos fits the bill for a slow pokemon that hits like a truck. Mmm... Maybe Vikavolt? As a slow volt-turner I don't think anything is quite as slow or quite as powerful offensively. And another immunity is always nice to have.
Yea Vikavolt is interesting but again concerns about his bulk and speed. It's true a special attacker is needed though. Gumshoos probably isn't viable but it's a fun thought, I definitely want to try him out.

Decidueye seems legit though.

Yea Vikavolt is interesting but again concerns about his bulk and speed. It's true a special attacker is needed though. Gumshoos probably isn't viable but it's a fun thought, I definitely want to try him out.

Decidueye seems legit though.
I can definitely get behind Decidueye. I can also get behind a few more special options that I'm going to throw like darts and hope something sticks at this point cause I have no idea what would actually work lol suggest.

Palossand, what with having actual ground type attacks that can do damage and enjoying having even more sustain with passive leftovers and Terrain-boosted Giga Drain. Not to mention being immune to Electric, and even more immunities cannot be bad at this point. Well it can be bad but that's not the point.

Manectric-M. A fast volt switch with a slow U-turn? What is the world coming to?! Manectric is pretty straightforward, actually. Intimidate is nice, as is absorbing an electric move with lightning rod (before it mega-evolves) on the switch. Good coverage, too. Really it's just fast and hits hard, plus it has no weaknesses when Terrain is up. except for Palossand apparently

Roserade. The queen of UU's main utility comes in being able to set up Grassy Terrain in the event that you lose have Tapu Bulu removed from play. Being able to threaten most Tapu's is nice too. Wait Koko gets brave bird and psychic exists EDIT: half the Tapu's. Also, Grassy terrain energy ball can never be bad unless they have something that resists grass or has sap sipper

Swellow??? I mean it can hit every type at least neutrally barring rock I think with a combination of Scrappy Boomburst and Heat Wave. It was already fairly intimidating with 50 special attack but with 75? Maybe it can do some good. Also gets U-Turn and a full immunity to Ground and Ghost. So, make of that what you will.

That's not at all to say that Gumshoos or any other physical attacker would be a bad choice, of course.

Had an idea for a core that supports Minior in getting in and setting up. Minior, Toxipex, and Decidueye.

Minior (Atlamillia)@ White Herb
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 SpAtk
Ability: Shields Down
Rash/Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Power Gem
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics

Decidueye @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 Hp/20 Atk/240 SpDef
Ability: Long Reach
Careful/Adamant Nature
-Spirit Shackle
-U-turn
-Roost/Synthesis
-Defog/Lead Blade

Toxipex

I'm not quite done with it, since I don't have a set for Toxipex yet. The general idea is that the two defensive mons shore up Minior's weaknesses quite nicely, and Decidueye can get rid of stealth rocks that would ruin Minior, and get off a slow U-turn to bring it in at full health so it can set up. You can even add in a Ttar for sand support + a psychic immunity for Toxipex. An alternative item for Minior would be Focus Sash. Give it 0 defensive IVs and a SpDef reducing nature and bring it in on an electric type with a slow U-Turn. Shell Smash in his face and proceed to destroy his team.
Decidueye gets Baton Pass right? Has anyone tested if the trap from Spirit Shackle is Baton Pass-able? If it is that might be the superior option.

Decidueye gets Baton Pass right? Has anyone tested if the trap from Spirit Shackle is Baton Pass-able? If it is that might be the superior option.
I would assume it isn't, but even just preventing a double-switch, plus a slow U-Turn into a frail sweeper, could be potentially be good enough(?)

As far as I'm aware, Trap-Passing hasn't been a thing for the past couple generations. It's still good for preventing switches though.

EDIT: Greninjafied and just in the nick of time.

alright, more pelipper drizzle stuff let's go

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpAtk / 192 SpDef / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-Turn
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Terrain Extender/Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
- Grass Knot/Scald

Beartic @ Choice Band/Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Bulldoze/Play Rough/Stone Edge/Swords Dance

This trio is based around using Pelipper, Tapu Fini, and Beartic to abuse Pelipper's new godsend in Drizzle AND U-Turn, while using Tapu Fini as a Misty Terrain Setter and using Beartic as a hard hitting Swift Swim user.

Pelipper is running Damp Rock to give its team more leeway with Drizzle, and runs 252 HP / 4 SpAtk / 192 SpDef / 60 Spe. 252 HP is to give it more bulk, 4 SpAtk is for that sweet +1 point in Special Attack, 192 is to make its Special Defense stat more usable in situations, and 60 Spe to give it a small boost in its speed. It uses Calm Nature to further boost its Special Defense, as it's base Defense is pretty high itself at base 100. Pelipper uses Scald as a good neutral STAB option that has a added chance at burning (outside of Misty Terrain of course), Hurricane due to 100% accuracy in the rain, U-Turn to allow it to pivot proficiently, and uses Roost as a healing option. Pelipper's job on this team is to be the primary Rain setter, and to deal decent damage with STAB Hurricane and Scald. Pelipper can deal with Beartic's weakness in Steel / Fire / Rock / Fighting with it's STAB moves, and can take hits from all three types excluding Rock fairly healthy, and can negate Beartic's weakness to Fire with Drizzle. Pelipper also deals with Tapu Fini's weakness to Grass with Hurricane.

Tapu Fini's role in this team is to be a tanky, hard-hitting Special Attacker that makes up for Pelipper's weak special attack damage with STAB Moonblasts and Hydro Pumps. Tapu Fini also has considerable bulk with 252 HP EVs, and has 115/135 base defenses. Tapu Fini also has a added bonus in that it sets up Misty Terrain when it comes out, which negates status effects being placed on Pokemon. This means that Tapu Fini essentially allows Beartic to be free of being Burned or Paralyzed to cripple it, and with the small added bonuses of not having to be worried by Dragon type attacks. Tapu Fini hits hard with STAB Moonblasts for Fighting and Dragon types and Hydro Pumps, and has good coverage options in Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, Grass Knot and has another STAB in Scald, but loses the benefit of the burn from Scald due to Misty Terrain. Tapu Fini could also run a more defensive or supportive set with moves like Nature's Madness, Defog, Heal Pulse (if used in Doubles), Taunt, and many other moves in its arsenal. Tapu Fini runs a standard 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef to give it good attacking power and good bulk with high base defenses.

Beartic is personally a sleeper Mon in my opinion with the new changes to Pelipper gaining Drizzle. Beartic recieves a +20 attack buff to its 110 base attack, raising its attack to 130, and with Adamant nature and full Atk EVs, it gains a 394 Attack stat and it can be pushed further to 591 with Choice Band. Beartic is running the obvious Swift Swim to combo with Drizzle, and runs basic 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe EVs for high damage output. Beartic runs the obvious Icicle Crash as it's main STAB that can deal with Grass types that want to hit Tapu Fini. Aqua Jet is a great priority move for fast KOs, and Superpower hits everything hard and is a great coverage option as well. Beartic's last move can be different options, Bulldoze for a Electric type coverage option (unfortunately it doesn't learn Earthquake :C), Play Rough for more Fairy coverage, incase having a Fairy type on your team isn't enough, Stone Edge as a high damage coverage option, or it can run Swords Dance for a Life Orb set that wants to set up, then sweep. Mentioned above, Beartic doesn't have to worry about taking statuses assuming Misty Terrain is up, and Beartic covers Tapu Fini's weakness to Grass, and if it is running Bulldoze, it can deal with its Poison and Electric type weakness, and it can help out Pelipper with Bulldoze and with Superpower to take care of Rock types.

This trio can hit very hard, but has a few issues. A big issue is that if Pelipper is fainted, Beartic becomes somewhat dead weight, as it only has 50 base speed, and even with Max Speed and Jolly, won't be able to outspeed much and will faint due to it's singular Ice typing. Thankfully, Tapu Fini can be useful outside of Rain, but still likes the bonuses to Hydro Pump/Scald. Tapu Fini fainting is also a issue as well, as it opens up its teammates to status effects, but with its good bulk, taking down Tapu Fini would require a very hefty amount of damage, most likely from a hard hitting Steel type or Z-Move. This core also has a issue if Beartic faints, as Pelipper isn't known for it's super high damage, but that issue can be easily fixed if a good sweeper, ironically one like Scizor is paired up with Beartic. This team also has a hard time with mons that can outspeed and kill them fast, particularly fast Electric types that can take a hit before fainting.

Last edited:
alright, more pelipper drizzle stuff let's go

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpAtk / 192 SpDef / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-Turn
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Terrain Extender/Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
- Grass Knot/Scald

Beartic @ Choice Band/Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Bulldoze/Play Rough/Stone Edge/Swords Dance

This trio is based around using Pelipper, Tapu Fini, and Beartic to abuse Pelipper's new godsend in Drizzle AND U-Turn, while using Tapu Fini as a Misty Terrain Setter and using Beartic as a hard hitting Swift Swim user.

Pelipper is running Damp Rock to give its team more leeway with Drizzle, and runs 252 HP / 4 SpAtk / 192 SpDef / 60 Spe. 252 HP is to give it more bulk, 4 SpAtk is for that sweet +1 point in Special Attack, 192 is to make it's Special Defense stat more usable in situations, and 60 Spe to give it a small boost in it's speed. It uses Calm Nature to further boost it's Special Defense, as it's base Defense is pretty high itself at base 100. Pelipper uses Scald as a good neutral STAB option that has a added chance at burning (outside of Misty Terrain of course), Hurricane due to 100% accuracy in the rain, U-Turn to allow it to pivot proficiently, and uses Roost as a healing option. Pelipper's job on this team is to be the primary Rain setter, and to deal decent damage with STAB Hurricane and Scald. Pelipper can deal with Beartic's weakness in Steel / Fire / Rock / Fighting with it's STAB moves, and can take hits from all three types excluding Rock fairly healthy, and can negate Beartic's weakness to Fire with Drizzle. Pelipper also deals with Tapu Fini's weakness to Grass with Hurricane.

Tapu Fini's role in this team is to be a tanky, hard-hitting Special Attacker that makes up for Pelipper's weak special attack damage with STAB Moonblasts and Hydro Pumps. Tapu Fini also has considerable bulk with 252 HP EVs, and has 115/135 base defenses. Tapu Fini also has a added bonus in that it sets up Misty Terrain when it comes out, which negates status effects being placed on Pokemon. This means that Tapu Fini essentially allows Beartic to be free of being Burned or Paralyzed to cripple it, and Pelipper to also be free of being Poisoned or Paralyzed. Tapu Fini hits hard with STAB Moonblasts for Fighting and Dragon types and Hydro Pumps, and has good coverage options in Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, Grass Knot and has another STAB in Scald, but loses the benefit of the burn from Scald due to Misty Terrain. Tapu Fini could also run a more defensive or supportive set with moves like Nature's Madness, Defog, Heal Pulse (if used in Doubles), Taunt, and many other moves in its arsenal. Tapu Fini runs a standard 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef to give it good attacking power and good bulk with high base defenses.

Beartic is personally a sleeper Mon in my opinion with the new changes to Pelipper gaining Drizzle. Beartic recieves a +20 attack buff to its 110 base attack, raising its attack to 130, and with Adamant nature and full Atk EVs, it gains a 394 Attack stat and it can be pushed further to 591 with Choice Band. Beartic is running the obvious Swift Swim to combo with Drizzle, and runs basic 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe EVs for high damage output. Beartic runs the obvious Icicle Crash as it's main STAB that can deal with Grass types that want to hit Tapu Fini. Aqua Jet is a great priority move for fast KOs, and Superpower hits everything hard and is a great coverage option as well. Beartic's last move can be different options, Bulldoze for a Electric type coverage option (unfortunately it doesn't learn Earthquake :C), Play Rough for more Fairy coverage, incase having a Fairy type on your team isn't enough, Stone Edge as a high damage coverage option, or it can run Swords Dance for a Life Orb set that wants to set up, then sweep. Mentioned above, Beartic doesn't have to worry about taking statuses assuming Misty Terrain is up, and Beartic covers Tapu Fini's weakness to Grass, and if it is running Bulldoze, it can deal with its Poison and Electric type weakness, and it can help out Pelipper with Bulldoze and with Superpower to take care of Rock types.

This trio can hit very hard, but has a few issues. A big issue is that if Pelipper is fainted, Beartic becomes somewhat dead weight, as it only has 50 base speed, and even with Max Speed and Jolly, won't be able to outspeed much and will faint due to it's singular Ice typing. Thankfully, Tapu Fini can be useful outside of Rain, but still likes the bonuses to Hydro Pump/Scald. Tapu Fini fainting is also a issue as well, as it opens up its teammates to status effects, but with its good bulk, taking down Tapu Fini would require a very hefty amount of damage, most likely from a hard hitting Steel type or Z-Move. This core also has a issue if Beartic faints, as Pelipper isn't known for it's super high damage, but that issue can be easily fixed if a good sweeper, ironically one like Scizor is paired up with Beartic. This team also has a hard time with mons that can outspeed and kill them fast, particularly fast Electric types that can take a hit before fainting.
Correction, grounded Pokemon. Beartic will benefit from Misty Terrain, but since Pelipper is a Flying-type Pokemon, it doesn't get the benefits of terrain.

Correction, grounded Pokemon. Beartic will benefit from Misty Terrain, but since Pelipper is a Flying-type Pokemon, it doesn't get the benefits of terrain.
i forgot about that

i'll fix it up now, thanks for catching that. i completely forget that it's grounded mons, not flying. t

Just had a thought, Bulu might work well with Alolan Ninetales too. Ninetales ability to set dual screens in one turn makes set up sweepers good partners for it and certainly Alolan Sandslash would appreciate having earthquakes weakened. Add in a fire type like Volcarona who can set up behind the screens and appreciates the healing and I think it could be pretty good. The healing counter acts the hail damage though obviously which you might not want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)