Sunny Day... Kind of?

Never done this before so anyways...

Lead: Aggron
Support Baton Passer: Drifblim
Special Sweeper: Arcanine
Staller: Jumpluff
Wildcard / Anti-Wall: Cofagrigus
Physical Sweeper: Absol

This team revolves around an early-mid game sunny day theme, and then stall and anti-stall later. It also assumes the enemy will try to use super-effective moves one turn in advance (as opposed to predicting a switch). I try to avoid using any OU (not sure if Absol is..?)

[Lead Stealth Rocker] Aggron @ Custap Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
Brave/Relaxed Nature
Ability: Sturdy
-Metal Burst
-Stone Edge/Fire Punch
-Heavy Slam
-Stealth Rock

A very slow lead, but it's meant to deal with the two infamous leads Azelf and Aerodactyl (which my friend uses a lot). Against those two, Heavy Slam (predicting Taunt) is STAB + 120 base, which should take care of Aerodactyl. Azelf usually has a Focus Sash, so he will probably explode out, which won't do much against steel. Against other leads, Taunt for enemies that try to first turn non-offensive, and then simply Metal Burst for anyone else that will likely all out attack. After Custap activates, use Stealth Rock.

[Second Setup] Drifblim @ Starf Berry
EVs: 252 Def / 6 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
Ability: Unburden
-Calm Mind
-Sunny Day
-Substitute
-Baton Pass

Assuming that close combat or earthquake is used against Aggron to abuse the x4 damage, switch in Drifblim to negate either. At this point, it either gets lucky and goes first and uses substitute, or it gets hit and possibly uses Starf Berry (Unburden then kicks in). If it gets the sub, Sunny Day then Calm Mind up. If its too low, Sunny Day, then Baton Pass Starf and Unburden to Arcanine (assuming the enemy ground has swapped out)

[Third Special Sweeper] Arcanine @ Life Orb
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash/Naive Nature
Ability: Flash Fire
-Flamethrower
-Solarbeam
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Morning Sun

Special Sweep, possibly with Calm Minds and Unburden from Drifblim (and a sub if he's lucky). Flamethrower/Solarbeam/HP Ice provides almost perfect neutral coverage, except for Fire where it'll probably be a war of attrition between frail sweepers. Solarbeam needs no turn to charge, so water/ground/rock walls swapping in get shredded. Morning Sun with Sunny Day for dire times. When an earthquaker or equivalent swaps in, we get off the Solarbeam and switch to Jumpluff

[Fourth Staller] Jumpluff @ Wide Lens
EVs: 252 Spd / 6 Def / 252 HP
Ability: Leaf Guard/Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Grass Knot
-Sleep Powder

Negates ground that was supposed to kill Arcanine. Proceed to sub-powder-seed the enemy. Sunny Day gives Leaf Guard or Chlorophyll. Not sure which one is better. If they swap in a heavy wall, try grass knotting (I took grass knot over toxic because generally most earthquakers are fairly heavy, so initially it will be good, and any steel walls that swap in are immune to it like Skarmory or Bronzong). If the wall is too annoying and has things that can hurt Jumpluff, swap to Cofragrigus. Wide Lens is so that Sleep Powder hits more accurately, as the first sleep can be a critical point.

[Fifth Wildcard] Cofagrigus @ Heat Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SAtk
Bold Nature
Ability: Mummy
-Sunny Day
-Will-O-Wisp
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power [ Fighting ]

Most steel walls prefer earthquake to deal with fire, so we have high def for that. Low HP allows us to Pain Split potentially high HP walls like Blissey and such. Defense oriented walls get will-o-wisp'ed and hex'ed. I decided on Sunny Day here in case Drifblim was gone, as he is somewhat suicidal. When a psychic/dark type enemy swaps in trying to use Shadowball, switch to Absol.

OR

[Fifth Wildcard Rapidspinner] Claydol @ Heat Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SAtk
Bold Nature
-Rapid Spin
-Sunny Day
-Shadow Ball
-Earth Power

Seeing as 3 of our team is weak to stealth rocks, a Rapid Spinner seems like a good idea. Claydol doesn't have the ability to take down high HP opponents like Cofagrigus, but it clears Stealth Rock, which is a big issue. Shadow Ball is for ghosts who try to spin block, and also for common psychic walls like Cresselia and Bronzong. Earthpower for STAB, although it could be replaced with something else. It's unfortunate that Claydol has no status moves like T-Wave.

[Sixth Physical Sweeper] Absol @ Lum Berry
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly/Adamant Nature
Ability: Super Luck/Justified
-Night Slash/Sucker Punch
-Superpower
-Psycho Cut
-Swords Dance

Physical sweeper, as most psychics have bad defense I think (not sure). I can either have Super Luck and Night Slash for the critical hits, or Sucker Punch and Justified. Justified is in the case where the enemy tries to Crunch/other dark move Cofagrigus. Superpower to deal with darks that swapped in, psycho cut for fightings that swap in, and swords dance for boost whenever possible. Lum Berry to remove statuses.

Threat that I can kind of see:

Stone Edge/Rock Slide screws up Drifblim, Arcanine, and Jumpluff. I'd probably have to switch directly to Cofagrigus in that case. Most Stone Edge users aren't actually rock I believe, but most of them are heavy so Pain Split with hopes I guess.

Last edited:
What tier is this...? And so many things tbh:
Aggron:
This set is weird, just run Choice Band with Head Smash / Heavy Slam / Earthquake / Fire Punch or Aqua Tail with the ability Rock Head. This set is just...odd.
Driflbim:
Drifblim is weird as well. Just run Flying Gem with Acrobatics / Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt / Destiny Bond with Unburden. What even is Starf Berry? And what's the point of having one Baton Passer vs. a full on Baton Pass team?
Arcanine:
Oh dear lord, Special Arcanine just no. Close Combat / Flare Blitz / ExtremeSpeed / Wild Charge or Morning sun with a Choice Band.
Jumpluff:
These random items kill me. Use Sub / Leech Seed / Sleep Powder / Filler Move. But really, SubSeed is outclassed by Whimsicott which has Prankster.
Claydol / Cofagrigus:
Confused here, which one are you using?
Absol:
Psycho Cut > Sucker Punch, Night Slash > Sucker Punch. You need both.

To be perfectly honest, this team doesn't seem ready for actual competitive battles. I think you'll need a little bit more help, also I suggest searching (Pokemon) Smogon, and reading that article. Here is an example. I won't recommend specific Pokemon changes, as I assume this is in-game, and I don't know what tier it is so I cannot.

Chesnaught
It's a UU/NU mix. The people I battle with aren't that strict about it, as long as no >= OU are used. We try to run unconventional sets for the most part. I dislike just taking sets from smogon just because they are very predictable. Plus, playing with the sets that everyone else uses isn't as fun.

Aggron:
This set is meant to at least take out the opponent's lead, if not more. Running CB Rock Head does give us a lot more power, but an enemy lead with Earthquake or Close Combat can potentially just OHKO us before we even get to move due to Aggron's low speed. Sturdy keeps us alive so we at least get a Metal Burst off on a non-Taunt lead on the first turn. Custap berry then activates on the next turn, so we get to move first and KO them hopefully, or if we can't then at least set down stealth rock before we die.

Drifblim:
Starf berry is the reason we go for substitute, because it activates in a pinch and sharply boosts one of your stats. The idea is to sub up, activate the Starf berry, then pass Unburden, Starf boost, and possibly a substitute to one of the sweepers on the team (and possibly calm minds if the situation is particularly lucky). Sunny Day is there to give Arcanine and Jumpluff boosts

Arcanine:
Again, physical arcanine is very predictable and that set is taken directly from smogon. The speed boost from Drifblim should be enough so that he doesn't need Extremespeed, and Solarbeam is extremely useful if you can predict grounds switching in, which is something the smogon set lacks.

Jumpluff:
I would like some suggestions for items on Jumpluff. My reasoning behind the Wide Lens was to increase Sleep Powder's accuracy, but I'm sure there's probably better choices. I am using the set that you just suggested... which makes me kind of think that you didn't really read what I wrote. Whimsicott does seem like a nice option though, so I may consider switching to that.

Claydol/Cofagrigus:
That's what I wanted input on actually. Cofagrigus has status and can also spin block, plus it can pseudo-recover with Pain Split. Claydol has easier switch ins though through Levitate, and has a much needed Rapid Spin since both Arcanine and Jumpluff have SR weakness (may consider switching to Whimsicott now that I think about it). Not sure which one is better.

Absol:
I need a way to fix his speed though. I guess I could replace Swords Dance with another move and use a Choice Scarf then.

Thanks for your input!

Chesnaught
It's a UU/NU mix. The people I battle with aren't that strict about it, as long as no >= OU are used. We try to run unconventional sets for the most part. I dislike just taking sets from smogon just because they are very predictable. Plus, playing with the sets that everyone else uses isn't as fun.

Aggron:
This set is meant to at least take out the opponent's lead, if not more. Running CB Rock Head does give us a lot more power, but an enemy lead with Earthquake or Close Combat can potentially just OHKO us before we even get to move due to Aggron's low speed. Sturdy keeps us alive so we at least get a Metal Burst off on a non-Taunt lead on the first turn. Custap berry then activates on the next turn, so we get to move first and KO them hopefully, or if we can't then at least set down stealth rock before we die.

Drifblim:
Starf berry is the reason we go for substitute, because it activates in a pinch and sharply boosts one of your stats. The idea is to sub up, activate the Starf berry, then pass Unburden, Starf boost, and possibly a substitute to one of the sweepers on the team (and possibly calm minds if the situation is particularly lucky). Sunny Day is there to give Arcanine and Jumpluff boosts

Arcanine:
Again, physical arcanine is very predictable and that set is taken directly from smogon. The speed boost from Drifblim should be enough so that he doesn't need Extremespeed, and Solarbeam is extremely useful if you can predict grounds switching in, which is something the smogon set lacks.

Jumpluff:
I would like some suggestions for items on Jumpluff. My reasoning behind the Wide Lens was to increase Sleep Powder's accuracy, but I'm sure there's probably better choices. I am using the set that you just suggested... which makes me kind of think that you didn't really read what I wrote. Whimsicott does seem like a nice option though, so I may consider switching to that.

Claydol/Cofagrigus:
That's what I wanted input on actually. Cofagrigus has status and can also spin block, plus it can pseudo-recover with Pain Split. Claydol has easier switch ins though through Levitate, and has a much needed Rapid Spin since both Arcanine and Jumpluff have SR weakness (may consider switching to Whimsicott now that I think about it). Not sure which one is better.

Absol:
I need a way to fix his speed though. I guess I could replace Swords Dance with another move and use a Choice Scarf then.

Thanks for your input!
Aggron: Ahh, I see then. But it won't have time to Taunt anyways js.

Drifblim: Yes, I know it is a pinch berry, but what stat does it raise?

Arcanine: There is a reason, Flare Blitz hits hard enough to OHKO or 2HKO most of them anyways. Special Arcanine is a gimmick.

Jumpluff: It has a 75% Accuracy, that's alright, when it works = Great, when it misses = shit. But hey, it is ok, everyone once in a while it happens.

Claydol / Cofagrigus: Ahh ok, so it is in rotation, well both are nice, but I'd suggest Shadow Ball -> Toxic, Earth Power -> Earthquake. And Cofagrigus: That combo is very gimmicky, run Sunny Day / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power [Fighting] / Filler (Maybe Nasty Plot or some other crap it doesn't really matter.) On both, instead o Leftovers you must run Heat Rock, to make Sunny Day last.

Absol: No, run Superpower / Night Slash / Sucker Punch / Swords Dance w/ Lum Berry, it is great that way. Don't Choice Scarf it.

Aggron: Ahh, I see then. But it won't have time to Taunt anyways js.

Drifblim: Yes, I know it is a pinch berry, but what stat does it raise?

Arcanine: There is a reason, Flare Blitz hits hard enough to OHKO or 2HKO most of them anyways. Special Arcanine is a gimmick.

Jumpluff: It has a 75% Accuracy, that's alright, when it works = Great, when it misses = shit. But hey, it is ok, everyone once in a while it happens.

Claydol / Cofagrigus: Ahh ok, so it is in rotation, well both are nice, but I'd suggest Shadow Ball -> Toxic, Earth Power -> Earthquake. And Cofagrigus: That combo is very gimmicky, run Sunny Day / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power [Fighting] / Filler (Maybe Nasty Plot or some other crap it doesn't really matter.) On both, instead o Leftovers you must run Heat Rock, to make Sunny Day last.

Absol: No, run Superpower / Night Slash / Sucker Punch / Swords Dance w/ Lum Berry, it is great that way. Don't Choice Scarf it.
Aggron: That is true, so I've replaced Taunt with Stone Edge/Fire Punch. Stone Edge is STAB, but Fire Punch lets you hit steels and Ferrotress

Drifblim: It raises a random stat by two levels. I'm not that knowledgeable in hold items, so there might be another berry it can hold that might be better. I don't really want to use Drifblim as an attacker.

Arcanine: I guess. I dunno, special Arcanine seems interesting to me, and it can catch people off guard with Solarbeam

Jumpluff: There might be a better hold item for Jumpluff; I'm just not that knowledgeable in hold items. I went for wide lens to increase Sleep Powder's accuracy, because if Jumpluff gets directly hit he will take a large chunk of damage and with no Synthesis, he can't recover easily. He'll basically be relying on swapping into a ground move for the rest of the battle

Claydol / Cofagrigus: Claydol's atk isn't that great; that's why I went with Earth Power. I might consider taking Toxic, but Shadowball was meant to deal with Bronzong really, which is a really annoying wall that I encounter a lot that I can't get past. It's also for enemy spinblockers. I like your set for Cofagrigus though (I'll probably use Will-O-Wisp for the filler move). Thank you for pointing out the Heat Rock though! Can't believe I missed that.

Absol: I'll consider that, but I still think Psycho Cut might become useful for enemy fighting. I think I will go with the Lum Berry though.

Aggron: That is true, so I've replaced Taunt with Stone Edge/Fire Punch. Stone Edge is STAB, but Fire Punch lets you hit steels and Ferrotress

Drifblim: It raises a random stat by two levels. I'm not that knowledgeable in hold items, so there might be another berry it can hold that might be better. I don't really want to use Drifblim as an attacker.

Arcanine: I guess. I dunno, special Arcanine seems interesting to me, and it can catch people off guard with Solarbeam

Jumpluff: There might be a better hold item for Jumpluff; I'm just not that knowledgeable in hold items. I went for wide lens to increase Sleep Powder's accuracy, because if Jumpluff gets directly hit he will take a large chunk of damage and with no Synthesis, he can't recover easily. He'll basically be relying on swapping into a ground move for the rest of the battle

Claydol / Cofagrigus: Claydol's atk isn't that great; that's why I went with Earth Power. I might consider taking Toxic, but Shadowball was meant to deal with Bronzong really, which is a really annoying wall that I encounter a lot that I can't get past. It's also for enemy spinblockers. I like your set for Cofagrigus though (I'll probably use Will-O-Wisp for the filler move). Thank you for pointing out the Heat Rock though! Can't believe I missed that.

Absol: I'll consider that, but I still think Psycho Cut might become useful for enemy fighting. I think I will go with the Lum Berry though.

You realize that it has 70/70 offenses, with Earthquake being more powerful.

You realize that it has 70/70 offenses, with Earthquake being more powerful.
Very true. I could have sworn I saw SAtk being higher. I'll think about this for a bit. The only reason that I'm hesitant now is because most pokemon expecting to swap into ground spec into defense because they think Earthquake. Not sure if the 10 base power or potentially less SDef is better. I'll try both and see how it works out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)