ORAS OU The Dragon's Call

The Dragon's Call

Overview:

You could already tell the 'main' mon of this team. I tried to build a team around one of my favorite Pokemon ever, the one and only, Dragonite. Don't get me wrong, I really love the other mons of this team, defending the Queen and cleaning the table for her late game sweep.

Without further ado, let's have an in-depth look at the team:

Mizuchi (Dragonite) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage

Let's start with kinda the core of this team, the queen of all dragons, Dragonite. I love this set so much because it all fits together. Extreme Speed can be very useful on revenge killing low-hp mons and it's priority level is +2 so it goes before moves like Ice Shard. Outrage is a super-powerful move after one D-Dance but should be only used when the opponent ain't got any Fairies left. Earthquake can handle those Ice-types and also works when facing Steel-types. Multiscale is a very efficient ability, blocking 50% off the damage taken when the user has full HP. It can be extremely useful when setting up the first D-Dance to start the late-game cleaning, because it gives Dragonite that extra tankyness which is always welcome on any Pokemon, especially on sweepers. It can also be used to tank hits Dragonite resists, like Roserade's Leaf Storm or Volcanion's Steam Eruption, but I prefer the first option.

MOGUERA (Excadrill) @ Air Balloon / Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

In order to utilize Dragonait's great ability, we need to get rid of those rocks and spikes, right? This is where Excadrill comes in. I use Adamant nature on this set simply because I want to put as much power as possible to the field, while still being able to clear those annoying hazards. He can also handle all the Fairies who can cause problems to the Queen with STAB Iron Head. It also may cause the enemy to flinch which is always a great plus. Excadrill got EQ too, just because it's an amazing Ground-type move with 100 base power and 100 accuracy and hits almost everything with a decent damage. Last slot is for Rock Slide to get rid of those Charizards and other Flying-pokes. I like using Air Balloon, because it allows me to freely switch to common Ground-types, such as Landorus-T, but sometimes I feel like I need the extra power from Life Orb to hit even harder. Wbu the nature, you ask? Well, it brings us to my next mon,

Wrath (Tyranitar) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 212 SpD / 50 Def
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch

T-Tar is along Dragonite one Pokemon I really like and brings many memories from my childhood. This monster is a great partner for Excadrill, because Tyranitar brings 8 turns of sand with its item. I usually lead with this mon just to get those early rocks and to bring the storm. Careful nature works well, another option would've been Relaxed set with Ice Beam instead of Crunch, but I kinda didnt wanna to lower this guy's speed too much. Ice Beam works when facing other common leads like Landorus-T or Gliscor, but Crunch is a STAB move for T-Tar and does decent damage to Psychic-types like Latios/Latias. Pursuit is a great trapping-tool for low-hp mons trying to switch out and Stone Edge is another STAB that hits pretty hard to Flying-types (and Defoggers).

bruh (Slowbro) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Now if you look at our mons we already got, our team has huge weakness to Water and Ice -types so we really need a sponge to take hits for our gang. M-Slowbro fits that role and works as a bulky Water-type tank with Calm Mind setup move and can be very hard to kill after a few boosts. Atm my team doesn't have any Special Attacker so this set is useful for replacing that hole as well. I try to avoid Mega-evolving him until late-game, just because Regenerator helps me to keep this bro healthy during the early-mid game.

FullMoonGuy (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Yes, my Clefable is a male.
Clefable works as our cleric support and as a wall too. She got Bold nature and max EVs in Defense and 248 EVs in HP minimizes Stealth Rock damage and rest is in SpD. I felt like I didn't really needed another Calm Mind mon, so I decided to utilize Clefable's amazing support movepool instead. Heal Bell comes often to play when my other pokes get burned etc. Wish gives Tyranitar and Excadrill a much-needed heal and can be used to fill Dragonite's missing HP too. Protect is here to make sure we can keep the healer healthy and Moonblast is a nice Fairy STAB and works when taunted. Unaware is great ability to prevent different setup-sweepers to break through a team and is used in this set too. I'm thinking about Magic Guard too just because it makes Clefable immune to Tyranitar's sandstorm, but I think it wouldn't really fit this set and that could make Heal Bell a weak option but idk.

and last but not least:

Amaterasu (Volcarona) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

I really needed a powerful Special Attacker for my last slot and I chose Volcarona. He got overall decent bulk in Special Defense and has good SpA and Speed. Max SpA is used to give Volcarona as much power as possible and to turn him into a scary burning bug without mercy. One Quiver Dance boost is usually enough to put a lot fear to opponent's side and gives Volcarona a nice +1 boost in Speed and SpA. Fire Blast is a great Fire-type move and has a change of burning the foe too. Bug Buzz is another STAB move and hits hard to Dark- and Psychic types. Giga Drain is a coverage move to steal some HP from Water pokemons that otherwise could hurt Volcarona.

Threat-list:

Coming soon, I'm going bed now. :)

The Conclusion:

I'm missing Knock-Off but I don't think it matters too much really. I could use Bisharp instead of Excadrill but then again I'd need a Rapid Spinner. I think this team is pretty decent, however you may disagree with me (I'm pretty new in teambuilding). Feel free to post your recommendations and changes you would make to my team down below. :)
(PS. this is my first RTM so please don't hate me if I did sth wrong)

Last edited:

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
ello ello! nice balanced sand team you've got here. interesting use of volcarona in a bulky sand team. i'm liking the idea of either overloading your opponent with dragonite + drill so that volc can come in later to have some fun and vice versa. your team is cool but honestly, i think it's overly ambitious. you have two hazard weak users and one rapid spinner who prefers to only rapid spin when there is sufficient momentum. wishtect unaware clef may seem like a great option on your team due to it's ability to ignore stat boosts but I don't think the team will end up synergising well due to your huge reliance on sand as well as maintaining the aim of either sweeping with dnite / drill or clef. i have some suggestions for you with regards to improving the synergy of the team.

first off, sand with dnite is cool (although i'm really not a huge fan because they just don't rly mesh well), we need a more solid hazard controller as well as a ground immune. this is because opposing sand teams actually shred you to pieces esp if they are running bandtar / sd bish. therefore, my suggestion here is to swap out volcarona for physdef skarm. this change is of the absolute importance because it now gives you a solid defogger as well as a ground immune, it also ensures that you don't randomly lose to rouge crawdaunts and mgyaras. both aforementioned threats can dish out huge damage to you if you didn't opt for this change.

next, i feel that your clef set is just not good for your team. wish pass is decent on a more bulky build that likes to stay in a lot, but on your team where the aim is to ultimately clean up with either dnite or drill, you should focus your sets to be more based around weakening the foe's teams as well as just in general breaking apart builds that are picked off by dnite / drill. sand teams are most commonly harassed by physically defensive mons such as lando-t , glis , skarm and whatnot so my suggestion here to run ice beam tbolt clef with magic guard over wishtect unaware. this change allows you to steadily pick off threats or harass them such that they cannot come in multiple times on your main offensive attackers as well as slowly wear down opposing teams so that you can deal with them using your sweepers / cleaners.

SD + air ballon over rapid spin on excadrill is a great option since it allows you to break past offensive teams by sweeping them and since now you have a defogger, you have less of a need for rapid spin. and air balloon gives you pseudo ground immunity that helps you when setting up

lastly, i feel that to synergize dnite and sand together, you cannot go for the more offensive build. this is simply because sand breaks multiscale and makes you so much more vulnerable to offensive threats as well as mamoswine. therefore, my suggestion is you run sub dd roost dnite over your current set. the spread we'll be using is simple. it allows dnite to live mlop's fake out + ice punch, as well as outpace torn-t after a dd. fly is used in this scenario because dragonite doesn't get brave bird and dragon claw is resisted by a lot of the common types in ou. with this change, you fear less from your passive sand damage and allowing you to make your plays much more safely than you would before.

hopefully my suggestions help you climb up the ladder more and improve your team so that it rectifies some of the weaknesses that are present. good luck and have fun in the game! /cheers/

and here are the sets!
Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Roost
- Fly

(Excadrill) @ Air Balloon
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunderbolt

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

ello ello! nice balanced sand team you've got here. interesting use of volcarona in a bulky sand team. i'm liking the idea of either overloading your opponent with dragonite + drill so that volc can come in later to have some fun and vice versa. your team is cool but honestly, i think it's overly ambitious. you have two hazard weak users and one rapid spinner who prefers to only rapid spin when there is sufficient momentum. wishtect unaware clef may seem like a great option on your team due to it's ability to ignore stat boosts but I don't think the team will end up synergising well due to your huge reliance on sand as well as maintaining the aim of either sweeping with dnite / drill or clef. i have some suggestions for you with regards to improving the synergy of the team.

first off, sand with dnite is cool (although i'm really not a huge fan because they just don't rly mesh well), we need a more solid hazard controller as well as a ground immune. this is because opposing sand teams actually shred you to pieces esp if they are running bandtar / sd bish. therefore, my suggestion here is to swap out volcarona for physdef skarm. this change is of the absolute importance because it now gives you a solid defogger as well as a ground immune, it also ensures that you don't randomly lose to rouge crawdaunts and mgyaras. both aforementioned threats can dish out huge damage to you if you didn't opt for this change.

next, i feel that your clef set is just not good for your team. wish pass is decent on a more bulky build that likes to stay in a lot, but on your team where the aim is to ultimately clean up with either dnite or drill, you should focus your sets to be more based around weakening the foe's teams as well as just in general breaking apart builds that are picked off by dnite / drill. sand teams are most commonly harassed by physically defensive mons such as lando-t , glis , skarm and whatnot so my suggestion here to run ice beam tbolt clef with magic guard over wishtect unaware. this change allows you to steadily pick off threats or harass them such that they cannot come in multiple times on your main offensive attackers as well as slowly wear down opposing teams so that you can deal with them using your sweepers / cleaners.

SD + air ballon over rapid spin on excadrill is a great option since it allows you to break past offensive teams by sweeping them and since now you have a defogger, you have less of a need for rapid spin. and air balloon gives you pseudo ground immunity that helps you when setting up

lastly, i feel that to synergize dnite and sand together, you cannot go for the more offensive build. this is simply because sand breaks multiscale and makes you so much more vulnerable to offensive threats as well as mamoswine. therefore, my suggestion is you run sub dd roost dnite over your current set. the spread we'll be using is simple. it allows dnite to live mlop's fake out + ice punch, as well as outpace torn-t after a dd. fly is used in this scenario because dragonite doesn't get brave bird and dragon claw is resisted by a lot of the common types in ou. with this change, you fear less from your passive sand damage and allowing you to make your plays much more safely than you would before.

hopefully my suggestions help you climb up the ladder more and improve your team so that it rectifies some of the weaknesses that are present. good luck and have fun in the game! /cheers/

and here are the sets!
Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Roost
- Fly

(Excadrill) @ Air Balloon
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunderbolt

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
cool! thanks for rating my team I really appreciate that:)
The changes you made make sense, the only issue I'm facing is that I want to breed these mons to my Alpha Sapphire too and I can't really get a Clefable w/ Softboiled or a Skarmory w/ Defog... I totally understand that this is much used in Showdown and yeah but it's just depressing that you can't get those two moves by breeding in the newet games... (as far I know)

anyways thanks for rating this, that really helped me!

Edit: I kinda really want to run my current Dragnite set so if I swap my Tyranitar for other stealth rock setter like Mamoswine and Excadrill for Bisharp? Could that work?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)