Multi Gen The Next Best Thing - Ubers Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
This thread is really limping along. There's only two submissions for one of the most versatile Pokemon in BW Ubers... if people keep being disinterested in the project for the next round or two, I think I'd want the thread locked as this is really a lot less active than I expected it would be. Vote for this week I guess =]

Problems set is actually much, much better.

PBR's set was theorized many times before in the active BW community, but hear me out: there is a reason dBond+TW Giratina-O almost never saw usage while Aqua Tail Giratina-O is just amazing and widely used.

The first reason is opportunity cost- it's big time in a hazards infested metagame like BW Ubers. If you had spikes on your team, chances would be that any Giratina-O set with Dragon Tail was going to be worth using almost all the time. Shuffling techs were so sucessful because they incorporated a mon that could soft check a lot of threats via phazing and priority, set up subs vs stall teams and completely wreak havoc. The tailwind set is useless vs stall as you can't force any hazard damage onto your opponent at all.

The second reason is that even if you manage to get your tailwind up and going (or even destiny bond kill something and bring out another wallbreaker), you actually just created a win condition that is overall worse than that of a Dtail Giratina-O can provide. I think this might stem from a lot of you voters having insufficient experience with BW Ubers but I will say this once again: hazards are so devastating and getting them up is one of the most surefire way to gain an advantage over any team archetype in the tier.

Now I will talk about why Aqua Tail Giratina-O is absolutely amazing in it's own right. The first thing you want to note is the trade offs when you use it over EQ (which is the standard subshuffler last move) and to an extent, will o wisp. I wanna get into Ho-oh first. Rain teams are fairly dependent to get up SR to handle this beast, and many Ho-oh players including me, will promptly switch their Ho-oh in continually against this mon regardless of weather (not saying mindless switching in). This set gives you insurance against these shenanigans by putting yourself in a position where you can simply bait out Ho-oh with a couple of dragon tails and then bam: 252+ Atk Giratina-O Aqua Tail vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh in Rain: 336-396 (80.9 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Since Dtail barely outdamages regenerator, this is very significant.

Now the onto the other stuff you hit: Gliscor, Air Balloon Excadrill, Lando-T. It's just excellent compression, and Gliscor is a very annoying poke to face in general. Also note that you retain the ability to hit Heatran and Tyranitar as well.

Obviously EQ has some nice targets as well- Dialga, Steelceus and Jirachi would be the most significant ones, I'm not counting Tenta since Dtail does loads of damage to it anyways. There is obviously a reason EQ is standard, but Aqua Tail is a terrific alternative for rain teams that need the standard capacity of Giratina-O as well as a nice way to pressure Ho-oh and Gliscor.

So yeah if you are considering voting I'd actually like you to think a bit and not just go "oh man this set looks cool".

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I might as well put the Smash Pass recipient here also:

Giratina-O @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 136 Def / 244 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Aura Sphere
- Ancient Power

ONLY USE THIS WITH SMASHPASS!!! These teams need something like Giratina-O to blanket E-Killer, Blaziken, Excadrill etc. This is the best set I could come up with for one on these archetypes. The Defense EVs may seem redundant with the Defense lowering side effect of Shell Smash, but they help greatly in lead E-Killer situations that happen to counteract Smeargle in case you don't lead with your hazard setter. Shadow Ball and Aura Sphere are your perfect neutral coverage combo, although Aura Sphere is pretty darn weak even with the Smash boost. Substitute is used to block random Thunder Waves and Toxics while also being used to troll Dragon Tail Groudon. It may also give you an extra chance to use Ancient Power in hopes of getting the nice boosts. Ancient Power was inspired by Sasha SPass teams and is used to donk Ho-Oh, and KO things in its range in hopes of getting its sweet secondary effect: a boost to all stats.

If you managed to fit Kyogre on your Smash Pass team, you can use Dragon Pulse > Shadow Ball and Thunder > Ancient Power. I like the above configuration better though because of Groudon and Tyranitar both being very relevant things.
________

I am voting for Problems's nice Aqua Tail Gira.

Last edited:

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I talked with Hack and his post was meant to count as a vote for Problems, I also wanted to vote for Problems but never got around to it (would've caused a tie) but since I forgot to vote before the deadline PoweredByRevenge wins this week. Congrats =]. Our next Pokemon is one more of you should probably be more familiar with; we're doing ORAS Latias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)