The Rotation Battle Metagame (GBU)

If your mons have Protect, you can stall out 3 of the four turns easily by rotating between them- they each have their own protect timer. Prankster Substitute can also help stall out the timer. If you plan on stalling TR teams, having Toxic, Burn, Leech Seed, and/or Wish support can be helpful. You can also hamper Trick Room teams with well placed Taunts, Encores (assuming no Mental Herb), or your own Trick Room. They also have a hard time against defensive mons in general, since they don't care about speed, and a strong Dark or Ghost move can threaten common Trick Room users except Porygon2. Phazing moves will go before Trick Room (unless it's Whimsicott) and send the sweeper back, but these have little use outside of countering Trick Room and fail to work once you get your first kill. Hammer Arm users like Metagross and Conkeldurr can slow themselves down and try to outslow the Trick Room abusers. Spore, Sleep Powder, and Dark Void will always go before Trick Room and disable the user unless they have a Lum Berry or a Chesto Berry, or are already statused. Dual Screens help you weather the Trick Roomer's attacks. Priority attacks ignore Trick Room's effects (unless they use a move on the same priority bracket), but TR sweepers are generally bulky enough to take a few weak hits.

Most important to have however, is good prediction skills. Even without the proper counters smart rotating to resistant mons can waste the opponent's turns, and most of the counters I outlined are worthless if they hit the wrong opponent.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You don't need to have the speed advantage to stop TR teams 9.9

Trick Room teams have a very hard time against just bulky pokemon, especially ones with recovery, and generally have little to no ways to quickly remove bulky Psychic-types such as Cresselia. While using powerful Dark- and Ghost-type Pokemon such as Tyranitar or Chandelure makes it a bit more difficult for them to set up TR (as well as the aforementioned strategies), you can also just take advantage of the Trick Room team's need to set up TR by using Substitute, or some sleep move. Using sleep was actually a critical component of muffinhead's brilliant RMT here, which effectively handled Trick Room teams with its variety of bulky pokemon, along with Breloom to provide a relatively fast Spore.

I don't play rotation much, but when I do play I use a team of Gravity Dusclops, Tyranitar, Excadrill and a few other fillers. Works like a charm most of the time.

Anyone else finds FEAR Pokemon to be extremely OP in Rotations? I've seen people having a lot of success with Aron, Probopass and even Cleffa (under Trick Room). I'm currently using Aron myself and I have to say that it has yet to disappoint me. But then again, my experience with Rots is rather limited so I would like to hear expert's opinions on this matter.

I see a LOT of Aron. Ferrothorn with Leech Seed beats it (but with a shred of health left), and Dual Chop from Haxorus is brilliant. If I don't have either of those, I usually have a Knock Off user who sacrifices himself in order to mortally wound Aron. In short, Aron almost always nabs one kill and also makes setting up incredibly risky while it's alive.

Never seen any of the others in well over 100 battles though.

push this thread

Anyone having recent experiences in this mode since BW2 ? I experienced quite an amount of bulky waters, rain and hail based teams recently. From my experience manual weather setup (which is seen pretty often) > politoed & co, since it generally takes less turns to setup and maintain vs. opposing weather than in-out switching of the autoinducers does.
Viable strategies around pinch berries ? The boosts are easier to hold, the supporting subs are strong anyway in this mode, and priority moves can be avoided more easily if prediction goes well. So why not ?

FEAR / Aron I didn't see a lot anymore, this stragegy too is easy to break and most teams have an emergency counter (intended or not) to this anyway, Gengar, Sableye and Chandelure are all great common counters to this in Rotation mode.

opinions ? experiences ? tactics ? Feel free to share :)

just a question. if you are running a specs poke and they use giga drain, for example. then you rotate them out. When you rotate them back in, are they locked into giga drain or can they use different moves?

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
just a question. if you are running a specs poke and they use giga drain, for example. then you rotate them out. When you rotate them back in, are they locked into giga drain or can they use different moves?
It's locked. Effects aren't removed when a Pokemon is rotated, just when it's switched out.

I did see a battle video from the Eevee Cup where one clever trainer used a Choice Scarf Leafeon alongside an Espeon with Magic Room (effect that suppresses items for five turns). He was able to set up with Swords Dance while Magic Room was in effect, and then once it wore off, he'd be able to attack with the benefit of added scarf speed. So being choice-locked isn't necessarily the end of the world.

Trick rooms teams are not good as in doubles. You can use protect, rotate and protect and so on. Protect doesn't fail if used consecutively by different mons ;)

It's locked. Effects aren't removed when a Pokemon is rotated, just when it's switched out.

I did see a battle video from the Eevee Cup where one clever trainer used a Choice Scarf Leafeon alongside an Espeon with Magic Room (effect that suppresses items for five turns). He was able to set up with Swords Dance while Magic Room was in effect, and then once it wore off, he'd be able to attack with the benefit of added scarf speed. So being choice-locked isn't necessarily the end of the world.
thanks. just preparing for the winter battle.

Trick rooms teams are not good as in doubles. You can use protect, rotate and protect and so on. Protect doesn't fail if used consecutively by different mons ;)
I'm wondering if Protect is worth throwing on nearly every Pokemon for the sole purposes of stalling out Trick Room. In doubles/triples, Protect's greatest purpose is to defend against, or at the very least discourage, double targeting a Pokemon.

On certain Pokemon, the move still makes sense but I feel like most Pokemon could use the moveslot for something else. Especially since stat-up moves are more powerful in rotations.

In Rotation, if you use Protect with one Pokémon and rotate to another the next turn, it will only have a 50% chance of a successful Protect as if it were the same one trying twice.

I'm wondering if Protect is worth throwing on nearly every Pokemon for the sole purposes of stalling out Trick Room. In doubles/triples, Protect's greatest purpose is to defend against, or at the very least discourage, double targeting a Pokemon.
No, I don't think so. TR is usually not a dominant force in rotation battles, since most rota teams run a very dense defensive coverage, which is usually enough to soak up most of TRs offense if you predicted not too badly. In addition nearly every teams runs some kind of control elements like taunt, encore or sleep, that could cross-counter TR tactics as well. Thirdly, it might be even dangerous to overabuse protect in this mode, since protecting on opponents setup turns is not a very good idea.

I wouldn't expect TR to be overused in this mode, honestly.

Rain is still very common.
Hail is decently common.
Sun is rare.

But weather teams are not as common as they used to be compared to when drizzle-toad first was.

And boosts are not lost when rotated out. You get to keep them. :)

-

Hey. anyone have a good counter tip against Heatran without having fighting pokemon/move in the team? They usually carry air balloon and overheat/explosion is kinda dangerous if you can't 1KO them with a ground move.
I think hail teams are more of a rarity. I've seen and use the sun teams more so often. But I'm sure we can all agree that water type are very overused in most general battle themes.

I usually don`t play rotation, but here are some useful tips I noticed:
focus sash can be reused if you heal the sweeper holding it by passing wish.
battles are usually long, so using toxic or burn with hail or sand work great.
some abilities are less useful here than in other formats.

I have played a decent of rotation matches by now, and from my experiences I can't second these thoughts.
First Focus Sash can't be reused, if you don't Recycle it, since the item is gone after one use. Sturdy, however, is reusable if supported with Wish.
Sure battles seem longer than single or double flat battles, but the metagame has grown a lot in an offensive direction, which has its origin partly in the "new" offensive toys provided by BW2, that eventually found their way to the rotation battles, but even more so, that defensive playstyle requires heavy prediction in this mode to be successful, which is very difficult to do consistantly. Most teams are aggressive, with tight offensive synergy and have nearly no use for passive damage stall elements. I won't say it is impossible to effectively run full stall in rotation, but is a lot more difficult to play consistantly successful than in most other modes, simply because it is generally more vulnerable to mispredicts than offensive based teams and in addition is easier to "break" due to the harder to remove offensive boosts.

Shedinja should do quite well in rotation. No hazards and it's relatively easy to remove hail/sandstorm with manual weather.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)