Entertainment The Songs of Summer

EV

Banned deucer.
This piece offers a humorous twist on some of the most popular songs from this summer by renaming them and giving them Pokemon related artists. Each section will have a quick analysis of lyrics and "background" about the song's artistic merits. Nothing in parentheses will appear in the articles--I put them there for the submission only.

I'll open it with a brief intro about what the songs of the summer mean to us, "These are the songs we danced to in the clubs, drank to in the pubs, and sang to in the tubs", and then dive into each one individually.

• "Chandelure" by Gastlia / ("Chandelier" by Sia)
This is a song by a sad Gastly reflecting on her party life. Here's some of my analysis: "A melancholy blend of electropop, R&B, and reggae, "Chandelure" is the tale of the party-goer's exhilarating lifestyle and eventual loss of self-control."

Party ghouls don't get hurt
Can't feel anything, besides Scrappy
I push it down, push it dooown

• "Chansey" by Iggly Azalea Town / ("Fancy" by Iggy Azalea)
This one features an Igglybuff trying to mimic the life of a Chansey because she'll never be as competitive. I address a fake controversy about it: "This song has faced its fair share of criticism since its release, with many calling out the artist for trying to impersonate another "pink blob" evolutionary line."

I'm so Chansey
You already know
I'm in the top tier
From Kalos to Johto

• "Rood" by MAGIKARP! / ("Rude" by MAGIC!)
In this song, a Magikarp deals with his struggle of online bullying in chat rooms. The lyrics are entirely chatspeak, 1337speak, or emoticons. "Some have argued the message to end bullying could have been much stronger if Magikarp had written the song with complete sentences, but others admire the risky, artistic approach."

Y u gotta b so rood
Dn't u kno im a Pkmn 2?
Y u gotta b so rood
Im gonna stay here ne way

• "Town Maps" by Mareep 5 / ("Maps" by Maroon 5")
The last one is a play on getting lost in the Pokemon world and relying on your trusty town map to guide you. "Ever been lost in a new town? Stuck on a route and can't find the closest Pokemon Center? Mareep 5 knows how you feel. This breezy song layered with guitar plucks and a danceable chorus is filled with those experiences."

I missed the turn for Safari Zone
I missed Viridian City
I'm searching for a Rhyhorn
And I'm looking for a Skitty

• Honorable mentions:
Artist: DJ Ekans & Lil Jolteon (DJ Snake & Lil Jon)
Song: Take Down For What (Turn Down For What)

Artist: Altaria Grande feat. Iggly Azalea Town (Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea)
Song: Problem with Paras* (Problem)

Artist: Keldeo Perry (Katy Perry)
Song: Dark Pulse (Dark Horse)

*From the title of episode 44, "The Problem with Paras" in case no one got that.
=======
The article is pretty much written already. I didn't realize I had to submit an outline first, so if this proposal gets approved, I have the rest in the wings. Thanks for reading!

EV

Banned deucer.
Sorry this was left behind here The Eevee General

Can you post a little more lyrics? I like the idea thus far but I also want Layell's opinion
Sure. When I wrote the article, I put it in a pseudo-analysis format like you'd read in an entertainment magazine or hear on NPR. I didn't rewrite the entire lyrics for each song, just a few verses interspersed with analysis. However, I can come up with the full lyrics if that's what you guys want.

Here's the full piece on Gastlia's "Chandelure":

"Party ghouls don't get hurt
Can't feel anything, besides Scrappy
I push it down, push it dooown

So starts that forlorn ballad by the Australian pop sensation Gastlia. A melancholy blend of electropop, R&B, and reggae, "Chandelure" is the tale of the party-goer's exhilarating lifestyle and eventual loss of self-control. The upbeat tempo and synthesizers are juxtaposed against the dramatic theme and topped off with Gastlia's soaring vocals, a combination which has attracted praise from music critics.

Take for instance these lines where she sings about her attempt to maintain control:

But I'm holding on for dear life, won't look down, won't open my eyes
Keep my focus sash until morning light, cause I'm just holding on for tonight

There's pain in these words. Gastlia is truly in a battle against a greater foe. Who will KO the other first? It's not up for us to say, only to listen to her pleas and maybe learn from her mistakes.

I'm gonna swing from the Chandelure, from the Chandelure
I'm gonna live like my HP doesn't exist, like it doesn't exist

Some might say this song is a cautionary tale about the overuse of Rare Candy, but that's still up for debate. Gastlia has remained quiet on the subject, though she has a well-known past of abusing the item."​

(And then it's followed by the next piece on "Chansey." If I were to add the lyrics, I could post them at the end of each analysis for reference. Do you just want me to post the rest of the article right now?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)