The Top 10 Titans of the 5th Gen RU Metagame

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm mostly just going to be counter-arguing lol
Venomoth

Again, the double threat of Sleep Powder and QD Passing was ridiculous and Veno and Yanmega were the biggest threats RU has ever seen, which makes it a Top Titan. There just really isn't much to say, it was quite possibly the most broken mon RU has ever known.

You guys are way overstating Cofag's impact on the tier tbh, it was influential but not really THAT big of a deal. idk if Cofag even deserves to be in the top 10, maybe at #10. It was nice to have a bulky Ghost that wasn't useless, I get that. But there was so much that countered Cofag and the fact that it took 2 turns of set up to be dangerous that it really wasn't overly hard to prepare for it and beat it even if the situation was right for it. There's no way he deserves to be #4 rofl, especially when I could usually just switch in Entei or Typhlosion and call it a day. If there is any defensive Pokemon that belongs here it should be Slowking, not Cofag.
This basically. Cofag should be on this list but absolutely not #4, there have been several incredibly dominating Pokemon that should come before it. Such as Venomoth who ripped the tier to shreds.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Lol how did Nidoqueen beat Venomoth? It wasn't even that bad, it literally had hard counters in that you could switch gallade or gardevoir into anything and force it out. Such a pokemon did not exist for venomoth and yanmega, which make them worse than anything else that has been in the tier.

So yeah Venomoth because no counters gonna sweep ya and whatnot.

Also don't forget that both of Venomoth's abilities are really good, Tinted Lens because obviously and Shield Dust because troll.

I was around for Cofagrigus but not Venomoth and i have to say while Cofagrigus was one of my favorite mons at the time I just don't see how it could be considered to have the kind of over poweredness that something like Venomoth that was quickly and unanimously broken. Sleep and QD passing is just ridiculous, and because of this I think Venomoth should go at number 4.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Venomoth

It was either Yanmega or Venomoth for #3. Since Yanmega won #3, Venomoth should get #4. QuiverPass was broken as shit since it could sleep an important target, and oh by the way, it had Tinted Lens Bug Buzz to take advantage of the boosts itself if it was needed.

Hakumen

Hot grill
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alright so the voting for the #4 spot ends here!
Venomoth : 12
Cofagrigus : 2
So Venomoth will be #4 thanks to the combinasion of Quiver Dance, Baton Pass, Sleep Powder, good bulk and quite nice defensive typing. Also its abilities was both really cool on it, Tinted Lens to hit really hard resistances with bug buzz and Shield Dust because it could help getting boosts in some cases.

But, as Venomoth seems pretty controversial, I may decide to switch #3 and #4 with Nidoqueen and Venomoth at the end.

But now, voting for #5. As always, give a little explanation of your vote.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Honchkrow

The most long-term metagame-defining Pokemon RU has ever seen apart from Nidoqueen in the later rounds. If you couldn't beat Honchkrow your team was complete shit, and there was still ways it could find to beat you even if you did prepare for it. Honch was also the defining SubRoost Pokemon of the BW1 generation, and about the only mon I would ever seriously consider using a Choice Band and Sucker Punch with. Though, its SubRoost and MixKrow sets were its best. (scarf was for nubs) Finally, it was one of the more controversial mons voting-wise.

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ninja Oglemi stealing my posts.

Honchkrow

Metagame defining, suspected multiple times, barely containable, forced innovations in the metagame.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Honchkrow

Honchkrow was a metagame defining Pokemon during its period of time in BW1 RU, and for good reason. It had a great combination of a very strong STAB move, 80 BP STAB. priority, moxie, and roost to work with (although not all of them used the ability moxie!). As Oglemi mentioned pretty much every team needed to have a check to Honchkrow or their team simply wouldn't function very well because of Honchkrow's presence. Of course checking Moxie Honchkrow was a bit easier than it would've been now because of Moxie+Superpower and Heat Wave being illegal, but it was still something you had to watch out for and specifically prepare for. Honchkrow was one of the most controversial Pokemon in the tier despite never getting banned, and was seperately suspected a grand total of 4 times before it finally moved up to UU by usage iirc, showing just how powerful it really was during its stint. Definitely a very powerful Pokemon and one that definitely deserves to be a #5 titan.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Honchkrow

This thing p. much made it necessary to use a Steel-type to have any sort of chance to stop its Moxie sets. Honchkrow was Absol before Absol became known. Steel-types were the only things that had a legit chance at surviving its attacks, but Krow could just run a mixed set with Superpower or Heat Wave to take them out as well (much like Mixed Absol does now) Moxie is what made it so much harder to deal with than Absol. Once it killed something, you were screwed if you didn't have a Steel-type like Aggron or Steelix to beat it. Much like Nidoqueen, it never was banned, but it was quite controversial Pokemon in the tier before it rose to UU. Also, if it was still RU in BW2, it would've been absolute hell. Just imagine its mixed set being able to run Moxie legally...

i wasnt really sure what to vote this round, but since everyone says honchkrow is the best choice, ill go with that.

honchkrow

Honchkrow

Confirming what Oglemi said, I didn't really know how to deal with Honchkrow and until it left I really was a shitty RU player. Sucker Punch for offense, ridiculous Brave Birds for more defensive teams, Moxie to make it really hard to deal with over time, but without Moxie nothing walled it anyway due to Superpower and Heat Wave. I actually would have preferred it to be banned at the time.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Honchkrow

Honchkrow basically lives up to its species name; it was the big boss when it was RU. MoxieKrow was really scary with strong priority and ridiculous power; it can revenge kill, wallbreak, and sweep, all in one. It also could run mixed non Moxie variants; and could run coverage to deal with the steel. It was suspected numerous times as well, which says something about how great it was.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I really want to vote for Slowking but Honchkrow was way too good to snub. I ran wisp on pretty much everything that got it back then (Entei and Rotom-N were the only mons I used that learned wisp but still) because nothing liked taking Sucker Punches. It combined the power of birdspam with fighting and fire coverage, if you weren't using Regirock or Kabutops you were pretty screwed. Even Aero couldn't counter it because of how hard Sucker Punch. Oh yeah Klinklang worked fairly well. But still.

Subwisp Rotom-N was the best ghost in the metagame (almost) only because it could counter krow thanks to its Flying resist. It still took like 45% from LO Brave Bird.

I wasn't around when the mob boss was legal but I did just play a tourney with it legal and I can definitely agree Honchrow deserves the spot. Rediculous power, excellent priority and moxie so you can't sack something to revenge it easily. Plus running the wall breaking/ mixed set made it a potent core breaker at the cost of slightly decreasing its late game sweeping potential. But all in all a deadly offensive mon that could be meta defining and honestly would probably be banned if it was legal today with heat wave and super power legal with moxie.

Hakumen

Hot grill
alright so voting for #5 stops here.

Honchkrow : 11

So Honchkrow is #5. The mighty bird was a threat against you had to have at least a check to make your team viable. It had the combinasion of powerful STAB in Brace Bird, priority in sucker Punch,awesome ability in Moxie and Roost. Despite Moxie sets were counter by Steel-type because of Moxie+Heat Wave/Superpower being illegal, Krow was able to run Superpower/Heat Wave with Insomnia to deal with Steel. Also, Houchkrow was one of the most controversial theat, it was suspected several times.

So, now voting for #6.

Texas Cloverleaf

Tough choice between Slowking and Cofagrigus but my vote goes to Slowking.

Slowking was a top-tier and centralising threat for the entirety of its life in RU. Its bulk and recovery meant that teams were forced to bring methods of setting up on or stalling it in order to have any shot of winning, and its excellent defensive typing and Regenerator made it splashable onto the majority of teams. Not only that but it also viably ran two major offensive sets, Specs and Trick Room that posed a potent threat to teams expecting the standard defensive set and could beat many of its typical switch ins and counters. Although Cofagrigus was quite dominant at the time, Slowking's consistent performance gives it the edge for me.

Also yea please switch Venomoth and Nidoqueen's spots :<

Nails

Double Threat
Slowking has been the best pokemon in RU for more time than any other pokemon and it's not even close. That's mostly because enough mons can beat it in enough ways that it's never been broken, but still. It has like 12 different sets (defensive, dtail, cm 2 attacks, cm twave, cm iron defense, np 2 attacks, np 3 attacks, np tr, tr 2 attacks, tr 3 attacks, lo 3 attacks, specs... i haven't tested cm twave or tr 2 attacks but both seem decent. oh well.) that it can run viably simply because it has amazing typing, bulk, and most of all regenerator. It's just... so good. I've said before that you can fit slowking on any team because it's true, it can do so much that it's never going to be dead weight.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Slowking

Slowking's been a consistently powerful and influential presence throughout pretty much the entirety of BW1 and BW2 RU, practically defining the metagame as a whole during certain times imo. It has very good stats all around (except Speed which can be turned around by trick room ofc) a decent typing that gives it a few important resistances, a good movepool with nice coverage moves and reliable recovery, and of course an amazing ability in regenerator. Slowking can serve as a wall, pivot, special attacker, wallbreaker, or late game sweeper pretty effectively, and fits pretty nicely onto quite a few teams thanks to its good all around stats and ability to check many threats, especially with the possibility of forming great cores with other good pokemon, regenerator or otherwise. Although Slowking hasn't ever been banned, its been at the top of the viability and usage stats for quite a while, and its one of the first pokemon most people think about when they hear the word "RU" imo. (along with say druddigon/entei/sceptile/kabutops etc).

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Slowking. It is really viable to 2HKO Nidoqueen with Psychic. It also has a niche for setting up Trick Room.

Hakumen

Hot grill
Ok so with 4 votes, Slowking will be #6 because it has always been an excellent mon and centralazing mon in the tier. Thanks to its great bulk coupled wit its awesome defensive typing and Regenerator, Slowking makes a great check to a ton of Pokémons in the tier. Slowking is also really versatile, it is able to run a lot of different sets that are all complety different both defensively and offensively.
Now voting for #7. Like before, give a little explanation of your vote.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Entei

He's been a top 5 Pokemon for every single round since RU's inception. Great power, great Speed, great bulk, great mon. lgi

Cofagrigus imo, awesome bulk+spinblocking+nastyroom is quite awesome, and I could imagine it being kinda broken in ru.

Cofagrigus, excellent spinblocker that can go defensive with WoW and haze or offensive with it's Trick Room plus Nasty Plot set. Ghost Fighting coverage is very good and hits a lot of things, plus it made an entire playstyle in full trick room teams far more popular (they're still dangerous in RU though, seriously go try one). So yea, amazing and influential mon at the time definitely deserves #7.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)