The Transition to Pokemon Showdown

Volt1, that's a server / hosting company issue, not a PS issue. The PO/PS server was down all weekend due to our hosting company suspending our account for MASSIVELY exceeding our bandwidth cap (possible DDoS attack, possible huge influx of users onto PS). We're currently working to sort out those issues. As we were working to resolve the issue, Zarel made the decision to prevent new connections in an attempt to prevent our hosting company from suspending our account for a second time.

We have a solution in place now that involves self-throttling and increasing our bandwidth cap. Consequently, Zarel has opened up the server again.

We appreciate your patience as we work to figure this all out.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Discordia, you're going to have a lot of issues using any product moving forward in the 21st century considering what your issues seem to be with Showdown.

As for the Team Builder complaints, having a different interface from the one you're used to does not make an interface worse. I just went on Showdown for the first time in almost a year to check out what the problem was. It's superior to PO. I can actually enter in information without having to remove my hands from the keyboard or press tab excessively. It's a lot faster to create teams.

Good work Zarel and please keep in mind that people are ridiculously averse to change when you take feedback. Don't make your simulator worse to cater to that crowd.

Making teams fast isn't what competitive players should need. being able to see everything in the one window, and edit things instead of opening and going back etc etc.

tbh the PO team builder allows you to see everything, and easily edit pokemon as you change and edit your team, the PS! teambuilder is kinda awkward when you are making teams. I never even press the tab button when i make teams on PO, you can edit every aspect of the pokemon time and time again without having to go into another window. This is also kinda minor but the ev sliders on PO are way more convenient then trying to remember how many EV's get you to a certain number in a stat.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Making teams fast is exactly what I need. That's the only reason I need a simulator. Speed. I don't keep a sim open while I'm building a team. Neither Showdown nor PO can give me the type of information that Veekun does. I make my notes while browsing Veekun then build the team in a sim to test it out. Changes are made afterwards and I'm honestly not seeing why you need to look at all the other move options a Pokemon has while changing the item.

This is a much simpler, streamlined, interface.

This is a good thing. I promise you.
Bit late, but yes I agree with this.

Not sure if this was brought up, but competition has always been the best way to spur innovation. Which means both Smogon and PO will benefit from this.

This has actually never happened before. In each generation there's always been only one largely-used simulator at a time. With two simulators around, you can pretty much guarantee that each will try to be 'better' - and that leads to harder work, more features, and greater enhancements. Pokemon Showdown showing up on the scene has already helped spur improvement in Pokemon Online and I'm sure the reverse is true as well.

I think this is a great positive move for both communities and Internet Pokemon as a whole. I've been somewhat disappointed in reading some of the posts on here (and on Pokemon Online) regarding what each has to say about the other. It would be nice to see improved fellowship from the larger community - people on PO included.

Zarel/aesoft is a great guy, and a great programmer. It's been fun to see what he comes up with. I'm excited to see the development of Pokemon Showdown as it progresses. Thanks to everyone for their hard work!

I've been using PS! recently, and honestly, I can't find a single thing that I miss from PO here. I really like the logical UI in PS!, considerably better than that in PO. Thank you Zarel (and all the developers!), for this wonderful piece of web-art. :)

Though, just a minor idea that popped into my head: I wonder if there's support for keyboard shortcuts coming underway? Also, it would nice if more page elements could be added to browser cache to reduce load times. (Correct me if I don't know what I'm talking about here >.>)

Thank you all.

Antar, if you guys happen to face the same problems that you did on V1, or any other problems, then just contact me and I'll do whatever I can to help out.

When will there be a VGC tier in PS?
It's my understanding that previous-generations (at least Gen IV) will come first, especially since the VGC season is drawing to a close. The hope is that PS will have Doubles (and thus VGC) implemented by the time VGC'13 is announced, but keep in mind that the Pokemon Online server is still up and is available for VGC playtesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)