The Transition to Pokemon Showdown

My point about VGC was that since the animations are already programmed in, it should be feasible to have them take the appropriate amounts of time. At least, it should be easier than trying to program it in from scratch as we'd have to do on PO.

How is PS going to be an accurate indicator of usage as of now with the ladder meaning absolute shit.
Ladder has absolutely no bearing on stats.

All that matters is that the battles happen and the teams are recorded (repeated matchups that result in immediate draws / forfeits will be thrown out along with all other battles that last fewer than six turns, as has been our practice since I took over running the stats).

Probably won't bother with 1337 stats (or the equivalent) until we get the ladder sorted out, however.

Also keep in mind that July's stats really have very little bearing on the tiers that get generated October 1 (1 part in 24). And we fully expect many of these issues to get sorted out by August 1.

Tried PS and honestly, I prefer PO. Better interface and there are more tiers. PO just feels a lot more user friendly. However I do like how it shows wins and loses on the ladder.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the tiers thing is irrevelant because we will be adding them all in the future. cant really argue with your other points cause they are opinion based though :(

@Chidori -- PO-style tourneys are on the devs' "to-do" list. And there literally is a "to-do" list that I add to as needed. I take the issues brought up in this thread EXTREMELY seriously.
Really? That's cool! And also, I'm not trying to be a pain or anything but on the list, can you add 'more organized list showing users' because I really want it. I wanted to chat with someone about their NU Team to help them out since they wanted help but it took me a while to find them on the list and by that time they had to leave.

On a different note, is the BETA gonna end on the end of summer break?

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the beta should hopefully be done by the end of summer but honestly theres no set date

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
closing the PM box (which WONT erase the convo you've just had) and /clear the main chat should make Ctrl + F much more tolerable.

Honestly, PS is a lot better to me. Being able to see your whole team on overview is a big plus. In battle, being able to reconnect, visual indicators of entry hazards and the simulator guessing your opponent's abilities as well as remembering their held items is great. Also, PO is okay but the fact that it needs so many client updates is annoying.

Honestly, PS is a lot better to me. Being able to see your whole team on overview is a big plus. In battle, being able to reconnect, visual indicators of entry hazards and the simulator guessing your opponent's abilities as well as remembering their held items is great. Also, PO is okay but the fact that it needs so many client updates is annoying.
This is all the positives I feel about PS.

One of the only negatives is that the ladder absolutely stupid imo. There are people with losing records on the top 100 and how you calculate the rankings is beyond me. Also, you can only see the top 100, not the entire list.

The only thing PO has on PS! is their laddering system (and a few insignificant things), and if we were to adapt their laddering system it'd be much easier to understand.

This is a great move, moving forward. The inability of PO to move to iOS and Android frustrates me, as I travel too much carrying just a tablet and an iPhone. PS being a web-based makes me connect to competitive battling more frequent.

Again, moving forward, experts sees consumers leaning toward tablets over netbooks in next years, so PO might not be that viable then.

Of course, the to-do list is still very long. Let's be patient. Good luck Antar and others.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, I'm a very very very big supporter of PS and would use PS over PO anyday but the lag which is present at practically all times is kinda annoying. So, it think it would be awesome if we could just alleviate that lag.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
The correct ladder system for PS! to implement would definitely be Shoddy's, not PO's. It seems, with the way it works, that zarel tried to do this and messed up the code or something idk? But to people bitching about the ladder - it will be fixed and it will be like Shoddy's which was an amazing ladder.

prem

failed abortion
the fixing the ladder system is probably like 2nd on the to-do list. dont worry we know its horrible and want it fixed lol

The correct ladder system for PS! to implement would definitely be Shoddy's, not PO's. It seems, with the way it works, that zarel tried to do this and messed up the code or something idk? But to people bitching about the ladder - it will be fixed and it will be like Shoddy's which was an amazing ladder.
What is the difference between shoody's and PO's ladder mechanics?

What's wrong with the PO ladder mechanics? Just the point gain/loss is ridiculous; for example, if you have like 100 points above the majority of the ladder it's something ridiculous like +5 -28. Also the more battles you lose, the less points you gain in the following battles in the first few battles. Is this right or is there something more?

What's wrong with the PO ladder mechanics? Just the point gain/loss is ridiculous; for example, if you have like 100 points above the majority of the ladder it's something ridiculous like +5 -28. Also the more battles you lose, the less points you gain in the following battles in the first few battles. Is this right or is there something more?
The problem with both systems is that they were developed for chess--a game with no element of chance with perfect information.
If Pokemon were truly a game of skill and had no element of chance, the rating systems would do what they were designed to do: accurately measure the probability that Player A will defeat Player B. But throw in "bs hax," and all the underlying theory goes to hell.

Also: Issues with Elo.

Specifically, when you're at the top of the ladder, it's in your best interest to battle as little as possible in order to preserve your rating. This is why people were asking for draws all the time back a few months ago.

This sounds great, hopefully I can focus better here than on PO...I'll give it a try. What rating do you start off with?

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Then why such a hurry to migrate already? At least wait until the simulator is actually finished.
Migrating this early was not in the plan, but if they hadn't started supporting PS! this month, then usage statistics would be terribly botched as like 2/3 of smogon is already using PS due to being a vastly superior program

prem

failed abortion
we havent migrated. we are still using po and plan to until our to-do list is finished. we are just announcing that ps is an official smogon sim and we will be migrating there in the future

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)