SM OU The wise woman, a primarina team

Chokepic

You're a choker if you say you've never choked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Hey! I hope the wise men gave you a lot of presents if you celebrate it. My present for you is a team with primarina (I know Im very generous haha). I dont have much more to add, so I will start explaining the teambuilding process.

Teambuilding process:

Obviusly I started building with primarina, because it is a mon I like, and it is a bit undervalued, it has great wallbreaking potential, only walled by a few mons (named blissey (who use u lol) and chansey)but it is too slow :(

The first mon I thought to paired with primarina was latias-mega, because it walls electric types that revenge kill primarina and can switch into this fat-grasses that switch in primarina when it is locked on hydro pump.

Then I added ferrothorn because primarina can switch in heatran that is a common ferro counter, and it also puts spikes that is important on a volturn (I was thinking to put the volturn core after this, because primarina needs u-turn and volt switch).

Here is the volturn core I was talking about. Lando and koko have perfect synergy and fit good in this team. Lando is my rocker and psychically deffensive mon, and koko my z-move mon.

Finally, in my sixth slot I added blacephalon. It is my scarf user and helps koko eliminating fat grasses (mostly ferrothorn). Blace fits very good because I have a ttar bait (mega lati) and my team isnt particularlly weak to it.

The team:

Latias @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Recover

At first I was thinking on the standard cm set, so I put defog on lando and rocks on ferro, but defog lando sucks so I put lati defog and Eq like the m-latios eq set but with defog > draco meteor, mainly for tran. It helps with ttar, tran, and if lati is full hp with mage too. Psychic is its stab move that helps it to deal with toxapex and venu. Recover is an obligatory move for giving lati more longevity.

Calcs:

0- Atk Latias-Mega Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 92-110 (26.9 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0- Atk Latias-Mega Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 248-292 (76.7 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0- Atk Latias-Mega Earthquake vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 114-136 (32.4 - 38.7%) -- 98.6% chance to 3HKO
56 SpA Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias-Mega: 258-306 (70.8 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias-Mega: 134-158 (36.8 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Wise woman (Primarina) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The star of the team
The mon the team is build around. You can do a lot of damage to the opposing team if you predict correctly things like toxapex that are supposed to tank primarina. Hydro pump and moonblast are the stabs. Psychic to deal with venu, amoonguss and toxapex and hp fire for ferrothorn and well if your opponent only have zor to not risk to miss hydro pump.

Calcs:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 330-390 (96.7 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Psychic vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex: 224-264 (73.6 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 186-220 (46 - 54.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 204-241 (47.8 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn

A pivot that can pressure deffensive cores a lot. I decided to put an extrange set without hp ice because if you are at +1 you dont totally need it, because z-dazzing KO what hp ice suppose to KO. Thunderbolt is it main stab and the move you will spam (also u-turn) in late game. Cm is for putting in trouble deffensive cores and u-turn to complete the volturn core with lando.

Calcs:

+1 252 SpA Tapu Koko Twinkle Tackle (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 369-435 (96.5 - 113.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 330-390 (92.1 - 108.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+1 252 SpA Tapu Koko Twinkle Tackle (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 258-304 (60.5 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Lando should be in almost every team, completes the volturn core with koko and it is my rock setter. Eq is its stab, tho you will not use it too much because of other landos and grass types. Hp ice is for other landos, zygarde and chomp.

(I dont put calcs to this because it is a standard set and all of you know lando lol)

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

It stacks spikes that pressure a lot the opposing team forcing the opponet to defog/rapid spin. Leech seed is its pseudo-recovery move, the health leech seed recovers is appreciative. Power whip is for if you have to kill a pokemon that is with little hp or if you have to 1v1 a water mon. Thunder-wave help the other mons to clean in late-game (especially primarina, because it is so slow).

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Fire Blast
- Trick

This and koko give the team a lot of speed needed. It helps dealing with grass types that are annoying for the team. Fire blast is the move you will click at early game when you need power, and flamethrower is for late-game when you only need to kill a steel-type and 1 or 2 mons that have low hp. Shadow ball for mega latis/regular latis and reuniclus. Trick because its fine to give chansey a scarf and it is a big problem.

Threat list:

Chansey: I have only 2 psyshical attackers and one is a passive mon with only 1 psysical move, and the other isnt a powerful wallbreaker. I can solve it putting z-wild charge set on koko, but it is only for chansey, and its usage is very low actually, so I havent consider putting z-wild charge.

Kartana: Steelium kartana is a problem because it can set-up on ferro easily, and obviusly at +2 it kills lati and if lando is a bit low its a huge problem because you have to protect blace only to revenge kill kartana and with hazzards is difficult, also your opponent can just predict the blace and do leaf blade instead of sd.

Protean greninja: At first, because you dont know if it is protean or gash, you have to go on ferro, so if it is protean, it has set-up 1 layer of spikes, and if it is hp fire you dont have a switch in.

Kyurem-black: The icium z set can just spam ice beam and do z-freeze shock in my ferro, I can revenge kill it with my koko, also with my blace if it is damaged by stealth rock or something, so its important to keep stealth rock in this mu.

Thanks for reading! I hope you like the team.

Here you have the importable: https://pastebin.com/8PgmEFXq

Last edited:
Your team looks ultra-weak to stall. I don't know if this is a casual team, and so you might not care, but it folds to any specially defensive core on the market. Your only physical presence is an uninvested pivot and timid tran-bait. Combine this with a complete lack of setup sweepers or traditional stallbreakers and you're in a bad place. Your only hope seems to be Trick Chansey and wait until it dies.

Primarina may do a shit-ton of damage, but its speed tier is pretty mediocre. Even with max speed investment, you're not outpacing Bisharp, offensive Heatran, Bulu, et cetera. It's true you have the pivot potential to bring it in but without any kind of speed control I struggle to see it ever taking more than one kill. I feel like you'd just do better with a Keldeo. (Which incidentally would help a lot with Chansey.)

Other than that, the team seems solid. I wonder how you deal with Hawlucha matchups, once they weaken Landorus it feels like the game is over. Similarly defensive Zapdos builds look like they give you some serious grief.

There's something about double-fire blace that makes me shudder. I get the logic, but I always like running Foul Play or HP Ground in my fourth slot.

P.S. Give Latias Psyshock. I don't know what you think you're hitting harder with Psychic but the ability to apply some physical pressure would be really useful. I'd almost be tempted to make it look more like this:

Latias @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe/SpD depending on how all-in you want to be.
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

It loses its ability to handle Tran, which might be pretty fatal for your team, but I reckon your team would really appreciate some paralysis support to cripple scarfers that stop Blace, or just to allow Primarina more attacking opportunities.

Chokepic

You're a choker if you say you've never choked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Your team looks ultra-weak to stall. I don't know if this is a casual team, and so you might not care, but it folds to any specially defensive core on the market. Your only physical presence is an uninvested pivot and timid tran-bait. Combine this with a complete lack of setup sweepers or traditional stallbreakers and you're in a bad place. Your only hope seems to be Trick Chansey and wait until it dies.

Primarina may do a shit-ton of damage, but its speed tier is pretty mediocre. Even with max speed investment, you're not outpacing Bisharp, offensive Heatran, Bulu, et cetera. It's true you have the pivot potential to bring it in but without any kind of speed control I struggle to see it ever taking more than one kill. I feel like you'd just do better with a Keldeo. (Which incidentally would help a lot with Chansey.)

Other than that, the team seems solid. I wonder how you deal with Hawlucha matchups, once they weaken Landorus it feels like the game is over. Similarly defensive Zapdos builds look like they give you some serious grief.

There's something about double-fire blace that makes me shudder. I get the logic, but I always like running Foul Play or HP Ground in my fourth slot.

P.S. Give Latias Psyshock. I don't know what you think you're hitting harder with Psychic but the ability to apply some physical pressure would be really useful. I'd almost be tempted to make it look more like this:

Latias @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe/SpD depending on how all-in you want to be.
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

It loses its ability to handle Tran, which might be pretty fatal for your team, but I reckon your team would really appreciate some paralysis support to cripple scarfers that stop Blace, or just to allow Primarina more attacking opportunities.
I'm not going to remove primarina because of obvius reasons. For speed control I have t-wave ferro, but I think I will put the set you are talking about on lati and i will put knock off on ferro that can help vs chansey also. You are right with the deffensive zapdos core, I struggle a lot with zapdos/ferro, tho I only saw one in ladder. Thanks for the rate and the time you put analising the team!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)