Theatre

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't go to plays and such much, but when I do I usually really enjoy going. Seeing how there are megathreads for books, movies, videogames and music, it feels weird for there to not be any for this art form. Feel free to discuss independent, west end/broadway or whatever else itt.
===================
Probably my favorite play is Agetha Christie's "The Mousetrap", which has the longest initial run of any play in history (it's been continuously running in St. Martin's Teatre in London since 1952). I won't spoil any of it in case people go to see it while they are in London, but it's a murder mystery that is set in a newly-opened guesthouse which has a tradition of telling its audience to not spoil who did it. I strongly recommend anyone who is visiting London to go and see it.

I also like musical theatre, and some of the productions I've seen include Annie, Matilda, Bugsy Malone and Grease, with my favorite probably being Bugsy Malone if only because it was one of the first that I saw.

I love theatre, and I was kinda in my high school's drama club for a little while. My interest in theatre started in middle school. I wanted to be a part of the plays, but was always too shy to audition. In 6th grade, I was in a drama class and we put on a play of our own. It sucked, but it's experience nonetheless. In 8th grade, I finally had the guts to audition for Seussical, a musical based on Dr. Seuss works. I was only a part of the Whoville chorus, but being in the play was fun. I intended to continue being in theatre in high school, but was only able to get into a drama class once in tenth grade, and on top of that, the plays at my school for a while were under management by someone who actually had no real interest in theatre and were often poorly received. However, in 11th grade, I got wrapped into being a fairy for our school's production of The Tempest (someone else backed out and I was picked because I happened to be there). Being in the play was a lot of fun, and I was set on being in more plays for my senior year. We did Anne Frank for our winter play, where was a Nazi (which is hilarious, because I'm a 4'9 girl lol), and while I auditioned for our spring play, Little Shop of Horrors, I ultimately had to back out due to getting a job. So I never did get to commit fully to drama club, and that's definitely something I regret. It's a shame that there's no drama club at my college. I only ever played minor roles, but being in the plays was a blast, and some of my fondest high school memories come from goofing around during rehearsals or backstage.

The only play I've ever seen in person that aren't school plays is The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. I've seen some plays through video, like Book of Mormon, Little Shop of Horrors, Avenue Q, Cats, and Wicked. I'm very into musicals. Don't think I have a favorite though.

I've been in the pit orchestra for various shows throughout high school and college - I've played keyboard in Seussical, Phantom, Titanic, Little Shop of Horrors, Young Frankenstein, The Drowsy Chaperone, In The Heights, and Anything Goes. My absolute favorite show that I've been a part of is In The Heights, so naturally I'm a big fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda and I love Hamilton. In person, I've seen (both on Broadway) Sister Act and Fun Home. Sister Act was with the high school choir, whereas Fun Home was earlier this summer with a friend.

In both my freshman years of high school and of college, I found out about the theater program too late and missed two amazing shows - West Side Story for the former (for which the high school orchestra later won a "Best Orchestra" regional award) and The Producers for the latter, which is one of my favorite shows. My college also put on Avenue Q, but I wasn't able to even audition for the keyboard part because they had pre-selected their pit already. Other great shows that I haven't mentioned yet that I enjoy are Les Mis, Wicked, The Book of Mormon, Sweeney Todd, Avenue Q, and more that I've definitely forgotten to list.

Theater's been a lot of fun, and in particular it's been an awesome way for me to keep up my piano playing in college, since I don't practice nearly as much as I used to.

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
awwwww yeah I love me some theatre. I was one of officers of my high school drama club for three years, and I was a member of a musical theatre summer camp for three years. While I'm not necessarily a fantastic actress by any means, I just loved everything about theatre and wanted to get involved in any way I could. This included being stage manager a few times, as well as playing in pit orchestra for my school's musicals.

As far as favorite shows, my favorite play is probably either Trifles or And Then There Were None. More Than Meets the Eye was a show my school did junior year. While its not super well known, it was set in the 1950's and I played a super nosey and sassy 50's housewife, which was a ton of fun. As far as musicals, I've played trumpet for Roger and Hammerstein's Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast, and I've acted in West Side Story, Into the Woods, and Bye Bye Birdie. The only major Broadway shows I've seen are Les Mis, The Lion King, and the Book of Mormon. BOM by far being my favorite.

Ugh that was a lot rip but I just freaking love theatre and miss it a lot now that I'm in college.

I was also in the pit orchestra in High School (Clarinet/All Sax/Bass Clarinet), I played in West Side Story, which was amazing, Evita, which surprisingly had a really great score that I enjoyed even more than West Side, and Oklahoma, which is fucking garbage.

I've seen Phantom of the Opera and Cats live, but there are lots of other shows that I enjoy that I can't really think of right now. Pit orchestra is hella fun though, easily the best thing I was doing with an instrument.

Glad to see this isn't completely dead!

I miss theatre. My old high school was supposed to be showing their production of A Midsummer Night's Dream from Dec 1st-Dec 3rd, but it was cancelled. :/ Shame, I really did want to see it, as well as my old friends. Though at the same time, even if it wasn't cancelled, I probably wouldn't have been able to go because my dad's birthday was on the 1st, and then we spent the weekend in the Keys celebrating said birthday.

Here's a random theatre memory. After one of the shows (I can't remember which one, I wanna say the second), all the actors + the directors would go to Perkins for dinner. Well last year, we went to Perkins, and it turns out they had only one cook and one server working. For a...large group of people. Idk the exact amount. We got there sometime in between 9:30-10 pm, and didn't leave until about 1 am. My dad actually texted me at about 12, saying it was time for me to come home, but I hadn't even gotten my food yet. He did let me stay to eat though.

Good times.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Glad to see this thread.

Lately I saw Who Killed Spalding Gray, a play based around the suicide of the actor and writer most known for his autobiographical monologue style. A very nice tribute and sort of self-styling as the writer/actor Daniel MacIvor combined his own monologue style with Spaldings. I also saw a crazy show by a friend which can only be described as "mechanizing the male body and toxic masculinity meets the matrix". Past that I'm working away on my own play, and just finished a few days of cold readings for a festival I will be assistant directing and stage managing for, and will have a showing in march.

If anyone in the Toronto area wants to hit up some cool theatre let me know before March B )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)