Things in Pokémon which really hit you by surprise

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm bored, picking my Moon that has been left for quite long. I have this Ash's Pikachu and thought to teach it Volt Tackle to see Pikachu's own Z-Move since I have no other Pikachu lying about.

Turns out it can't use the Z-Crystal even after its taught that. *facepalm*

This is probably because apparently Ash's Pikachu is coded differently as separate entity to other Pikachu. I see it has different cries, it is more "talkative" than standard Pikachu.
Oh, that's actually surprising. It actually kind of makes Ash Cap Pikachu feel a bit less special, or rather maybe too special for its own good.

The door does say "Cut" on it in braille though, and even if you don't know braille, Mt. Ember's basement has a transcription of the whole alphabet which makes it possible to puzzle out.

Alright then, I was just browsing around Bulbapedia's list of glitches, when I learnt a glitch in SuMn apparently can make tag battle partner Hau of all people murder your 'mon with a Z-move in Aether Paradise's raid against them. I never had this since I chose Popplio myself, but those who chose Rowlet and thus have Hau took Popplio could have this happening. This is probably related to how the AI incompetently use Sparkling Aria due to its ability to heal burn of teammate while also damaging it.

It gets hilarious, and even more to see people's reaction. Some even took the time to take revenge on his Primarina. And people speculated on Hau's internal problems with this happening.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Alright then, I was just browsing around Bulbapedia's list of glitches, when I learnt a glitch in SuMn apparently can make tag battle partner Hau of all people murder your 'mon with a Z-move in Aether Paradise's raid against them. I never had this since I chose Popplio myself, but those who chose Rowlet and thus have Hau took Popplio could have this happening. This is probably related to how the AI incompetently use Sparkling Aria due to its ability to heal burn of teammate while also damaging it.

It gets hilarious, and even more to see people's reaction. Some even took the time to take revenge on his Primarina. And people speculated on Hau's internal problems with this happening.
Actually, someone suggested that since Sparkling Aria targets everyone normally but Z-Moves are target specific, for some reason it must be coded that Hau defaults target your Pokemon when using Sparkling Aria.

This makes more sense to me as Hau will do it even when your Pokemon aren't Burned.

It is Inner Focus, and not Scrappy, Kangaskhan's Hidden Ability. Since Inner Focus is a Gen III ability, I thought it was always one of Kangaskhan's abilities since then, alongside Early Bird.

Reality has just hit me when I transferred a Kangaskhan from Virtual Console.

UPDATE:

Oh my goodness with the Ultra Ruin. There are SO many unanswered questions... specially the sequence of events. Was it "Power Plant Meltdown -> Guzzlord is created -> Guzzlord eats everything -> Survivors leave the planet -> Guzzlord is alone" or "Power Plant Meltdown -> Guzzlord is created -> Survivors leave the planet -> Guzzlord is alone -> Guzzlord eats everything"?

I had slightly spoiled myself about there being something very wrong related to Guzzlord's Ultra Wormhole, which is why I specifically headed for rare white wormholes, but... wow. And I thought the Seven Mysteries were going to be USUM's creepy thing.

Last edited:
Another discussion thread. \o/

One of the most common complaints about Pokémon is its linear design and childish story-lines. Where nothing is unexpected, and the player knows what will happen in the story gyms before it does. This thread is talking about not only the stories, but things like reveals of certain Pokémon, which really hit you by surprise, and made you enjoy the game even more because of it (no negativity please ;)).

For me, it would have to be Evice's reveal in Pokémon Colosseum. I legitimately thought that he was just a kind old mayor who was doing what he could to help. It just made that final battle epic, because he was a character you had met before, who ended up being the final boss against all expectations. Unlike Greevil, who everybody saw a mile off.

So, what are your experiences with Pokémon that hit you by surprise?
pokemon platinums fight with cyrus, as a kid, was one of the hardest things for me in the franchise lol

cheren is a boi

Edit: I’m not an English speaker, so I didn’t know what ‘boi’ actually meant (I thought it was a funny way to say boy). Sorry if I have offended any of you

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Sure. If you want to believe the Frontier Brain with the title "Salon Maiden" is a "boi"...

(can't be too sure about Tucker though :P )

Though it is a joke, for lack of a better word, for her to be confused for a male. In the Japanese version of Emerald she had the odd quirk of referring to herself with a masculine pronoun (boku), and with her title being gender neutral (Tower Tycoon) it left many Japanese players curious what her actual gender was. This was also referenced in the anime with Ash & co. thinking she was a boy until she told them she was a girl.

As for Tucker, I quote a Yotutube comment I saw years ago on an Emerald Battle Frontier Theme video:

Hoenn Battle Frontier: 3 Boys, 3 Girls, and a Tucker.

I'm going through Crystal right now with a Growlithe. When I first caught it, I expected I might have to do some grinding to get a STAB move before I could feasibly use it - it comes at Level 5 with Bite and Roar but learns Ember at Level 9 - but then it surprised me just how effective Growlithe is in the Sprout Tower with no grinding.
I thought the Bellsprouts might have a status move, but no, they only have Vine Whip which - no joke - does a grand total of 1HP damage to Growlithe. And Growlithe 2HKOs every single one of them with Bite. And then right as you run out of Bite PP, you get to Level 9 and learn Ember to finish off the 'boss' of the tower. Growlithe solo'd the entire tower from capture without a STAB move and without having to heal once.

I'm going through Crystal right now with a Growlithe. When I first caught it, I expected I might have to do some grinding to get a STAB move before I could feasibly use it - it comes at Level 5 with Bite and Roar but learns Ember at Level 9 - but then it surprised me just how effective Growlithe is in the Sprout Tower with no grinding.
I thought the Bellsprouts might have a status move, but no, they only have Vine Whip which - no joke - does a grand total of 1HP damage to Growlithe. And Growlithe 2HKOs every single one of them with Bite. And then right as you run out of Bite PP, you get to Level 9 and learn Ember to finish off the 'boss' of the tower. Growlithe solo'd the entire tower from capture without a STAB move and without having to heal once.
Not just Growlithe - anything that resists Grass and has a STAB that is not resisted by it has literally 0 issues with that place. (Well, at worst they have issues with the two Hoothoot you fight there, but the Bellsprout are a joke and give good experience)

I remember I used to only battle with the starter until Violet City and then use the Sages to have my other Pokemon catch up in level.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How boring Gen 3 was...
But also how fun Battle Tower in Crystal was!
Yes, but I think Crystal being so successful hurt the next generation before it even came out. At least the Battle Frontier was a place where you could really use your in-game achievements and break records after the main story.

I think the biggest shock so far was when they announced there were no Gyms in 7th Gen. I hadn't even played X/Y and I hear the following games don't even include gyms in the game.

Dark/Ghost being neutral on Steel-types from like 7th gen onwards was quite surprising to discover when I was laddering. My Metagross just died to Dark Pulse because its super effective now and it got me thinking damn will I ever use Jirachi again.

Yes, but I think Crystal being so successful hurt the next generation before it even came out. At least the Battle Frontier was a place where you could really use your in-game achievements and break records after the main story.

I think the biggest shock so far was when they announced there were no Gyms in 7th Gen. I hadn't even played X/Y and I hear the following games don't even include gyms in the game.

Dark/Ghost being neutral on Steel-types from like 7th gen onwards was quite surprising to discover when I was laddering. My Metagross just died to Dark Pulse because its super effective now and it got me thinking damn will I ever use Jirachi again.
Actually, it's been that way since gen 6. As well as Ghosts no longer being able to be trapped.

I reset Pokemon Sun and wanted to do a speedrun of the game. After getting Festival Plaza in the early stages I traded for a L40 Hoothoot. Never have I witnessed in my 5 years of playing that this Hoothoot disobeyed my commands during my first island trial. I guess they put this mechanic there for any high-levelled Pokemon to prevent cheaters from completing the game, but that really hurts when you're trying to do a speedrun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)