Online Competition Tiny Tourney [NOW ON SHOWDOWN]

My first thought was to use Rotom-H with Gastrodon. I used that combo a few years ago and had great success with it. I think Gastro is gonna be a great water type. Just gotta protect it against Toxic, but if you do that I think it'll cause some matchup nightmares

What are your plans on dealing with Ferrothorn? Fire types is an obvious answer, but I want more than one way to deal with it, otherwise I'm FORCED to bring Rotom-H every time I see Ferro and I'm forced to play predictably around it. I can't find many good fighting types. Hawlucha is good but awkward to use and needs smart/specific team building around it. It kinda leaves me with either doubling up on Fire types or using coverage moves like Superpower Azu, HP Fire Roserade etc...
Kartana completely walls it, and can 2hko with Sacred Sword.

Kartana's a great idea. I don't have a usable one but that's my problem

A taunt user could also work decently. Attack around Ferro and use taunts to keep Leech Seeds from getting out of hand. Taunt will also be great for some other mega threats like P2 and Amoonguss so it's not like I'd be shoehorning it in just for Ferro. Requires a lot of finesse and skill, but I don't mind laughing at myself for making bad plays

I think taunt Sableye could work for me. Fake Out pressure, Taunt for anti-Trick Room, WoW for some big threats like Kartana. It can even stop weird stuff like Eevee pass. I just have to consider ridiculous things like speed creeping other Sableyes so they don't Taunt my Taunt

Kartana's a great idea. I don't have a usable one but that's my problem

A taunt user could also work decently. Attack around Ferro and use taunts to keep Leech Seeds from getting out of hand. Taunt will also be great for some other mega threats like P2 and Amoonguss so it's not like I'd be shoehorning it in just for Ferro. Requires a lot of finesse and skill, but I don't mind laughing at myself for making bad plays

I think taunt Sableye could work for me. Fake Out pressure, Taunt for anti-Trick Room, WoW for some big threats like Kartana. It can even stop weird stuff like Eevee pass. I just have to consider ridiculous things like speed creeping other Sableyes so they don't Taunt my Taunt
don't forget, sableye also gets quash

Wow, there's a lot of things I didn't see before. I wanted to try the Dancer Combo with Orriccorio and Ribombee, but you have a point, TR could be very strong in this metagame.
My daughter, she is 9, used this combo in the May International Challenge.

She did pretty well with it. Most of the time she would get at least 2 Quiver Dance off and Ribombee and Oricorio hit hard. If she got 3 off she swept teams.

Im not sure if it was younger gamers or not, I'm assuming a variety of age. Also I was coaching on the side. Haha

Sun
Setters: Torkoal
Abusers: Chandelure, Tangela, Leafeon, Weepinbell, Ivysaur (not really anything good)
Just a few things I would like to add to this list:
Setters: Vulpix
Abusers: Jumpluff (Sleep Powder), Cherrim (Flower Gift [x1.5 Atk+SpD]), Phantump/Exeggcute (Harvest shenanigans), Maractus (Chlorophyll)

And one weather abuser that I think could actually be useful is Castform. While its stats are admittedly lackluster, it has an expansive movepool and is guaranteed a STAB move in Weather Ball. In Sun, it can take advantage of a 1-turn charge Solar Beam, in Rain, a perfectly accurate Hurricane and Thunder, and in Hail, a reliable and powerful spread move in Blizzard. It also comes with support options in Tailwind and Icy Wind for Speed control and Clear Smog to remove boosts.

Oh my lord am I seriously promoting Castform as a viable pick?

Reactions: JES
Just a few things I would like to add to this list:
Setters: Vulpix
Abusers: Jumpluff (Sleep Powder), Cherrim (Flower Gift [x1.5 Atk+SpD]), Phantump/Exeggcute (Harvest shenanigans), Maractus (Chlorophyll)
From that list, Maractus is the only viable thing. In fact I should have included it, frogot it learnt After You. Shame it can't have both After You and an accurate Sleep Move, but at least it has Endeavor, might be able to slap a sash on it and play around with that.
Jumpluff is too deep in the support camp for my likings. While fine with Amoonguss, is less so with Jumpluff. Inaccurate sleep and being generally frail in comparison dampen its potential.
Cherrim is much the same but perhaps can be built with well. By which I mean not focusing on Flower Gift. It usually ends up being far too passive; 87 SpA isn't appauling when you've got Solar Beam and sun boosted Weather Ball. Still, I don't believe it has too much going for it.
The Harvest options here are just too frail and slow, a nasty combination.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My daughter, she is 9, used this combo in the May International Challenge.

She did pretty well with it. Most of the time she would get at least 2 Quiver Dance off and Ribombee and Oricorio hit hard. If she got 3 off she swept teams.

Im not sure if it was younger gamers or not, I'm assuming a variety of age. Also I was coaching on the side. Haha
Online Competitions / International Challenges are split up into age divisions. However, I've been using the same strategy but with Pheromosa instead of Ribombee in the top age division and it's pretty fun. I was probably going to use Ribombee for this instead actually, but I need to find small alternatives for all my big mons lol.

Online Competitions / International Challenges are split up into age divisions. However, I've been using the same strategy but with Pheromosa instead of Ribombee in the top age division and it's pretty fun. I was probably going to use Ribombee for this instead actually, but I need to find small alternatives for all my big mons lol.
Same here but with Lilligant instead. Even if it was suboptimal, after a Quiver Dance + Petal Dance, not many could survive.

I think I'm going to pull this off again with Volcarona whenever possible.

From that list, Maractus is the only viable thing. In fact I should have included it, frogot it learnt After You. Shame it can't have both After You and an accurate Sleep Move, but at least it has Endeavor, might be able to slap a sash on it and play around with that.
Jumpluff is too deep in the support camp for my likings. While fine with Amoonguss, is less so with Jumpluff. Inaccurate sleep and being generally frail in comparison dampen its potential.
Cherrim is much the same but perhaps can be built with well. By which I mean not focusing on Flower Gift. It usually ends up being far too passive; 87 SpA isn't appauling when you've got Solar Beam and sun boosted Weather Ball. Still, I don't believe it has too much going for it.
The Harvest options here are just too frail and slow, a nasty combination.
Bellossom? After You + Sleep Powder and considerable defenses and multiple moves to use for offense from a considerable 90 base spA.

Some pokemon I am actually looking most forward to are the faster and more utility reliant pokemon like Azelf(I hope this is allowed), Sneasle, Ribombee and Whimsicott even when Kartana/Ferro exist they reliably force switches against so many things.

Some pokemon I am actually looking most forward to are the faster and more utility reliant pokemon like Azelf(I hope this is allowed), Sneasle, Ribombee and Whimsicott even when Kartana/Ferro exist they reliably force switches against so many things.
Azelf is allowed as it's not Legendary nor Mythical.

HP Fire Ribombee will have no issues vs Kartana unless it's sashed. Ferrothorn is in serious danger of a double attack.

+1 252 SpA Ribombee Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Ferrothorn: 232-276 (65.9 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So much for making a Random Battle Team! I think I'll use parts of my previous Trick Room team to save time, at least in case I don't have time to breed a batch of six new Pokés.

I've been pondering a Quiver Dancer team. Dancer+Lilligant are probably the best, since then you aren't weak against Rock Slide. Volcarona+Dancer would have a terrible weakness, but might be fun at the Battle Tree, but the computer would set Rock types eventually. Maybe I'll breed an extra set if I have the time.

For now, I'm thinking of going with this:

Glidoler (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Recover
He's already bred and ready to go. An inarguably well balanced team member.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 2 SpD / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Already have one, so this would save me some time. Go ahead Eevee, set up! I'll just use Haze! Or maybe I'll set a layer of Toxic Spikes while you set up, so your incoming team member has a surprise gift waiting for him or her! Also counters Gastrodon hard, unless it has Earth Power, due to no longer being restricted to this current generation. Maybe I'll make him specially defensive so I can save Porygon 2 to renew Trick Room.

Gremlin (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Recover

I already have some bred Sableyes to work off of. It won't take long to prep either, since only half of the moves above are level up.
Sableye definitely will do good here, being able to shut down Ferrothorns and Mimikyus, help make time for Trick Room, and just be an overall pain in the ass. He does suffer from 4 Move Syndrome though, not having room for Taunt.

Faryal (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 2 Atk / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Rather than going for a Curse set, due to all of the good Fire types, I'm going with a set that can switch out and annoy the hell out of non-Fire type Physical Attackers like Mimikyu, take out enemy Gastrodons, and block enemy Ferrothorns. I was already planning to make one for my Random Passerby Challenge team. I'm considering if I should make him offensive, or full defensive with an Impish nature.

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Seems as good a chance to try this out as any time. I do question how well he'll work with Ferrothorn and Toxapex, or whatever Water type I use, he would be bad news for Ferrothorn. I might just substitute my Marowak-A in at the last minute instead, but then again, I already have a Ghost type.

Sylveon @ Pixie Plate or Life Orb
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 188 HP / 68 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Ground
- Protect

I had a tough time finding a slow Pokémon whose type I didn't have. Yes, I have no Physical Attackers aside from Ferrothorn, which could make me susceptible to Snarl and Special Walls. Sableye and Ferrothorn might be able to help with that however. I'll have to breed this in Alpha Sapphire and then transfer, since Hyper Voice isn't available in Sun.

Maybe I'll replace Slyveon and Toxapex with Azumarill and Muk. I can even use an Alolan Muk, since he won't have a Fighting or Fairy type weakness like Sableye. Sure, that means that I'll only have a total of 9 types on this team.

I could also replace Sableye and Torkoal with Marowak-A, though this means loosing a strong Special Attacker in a meta where Ferrothorn is a threat, and leaving Togedemaru as my only Fake Out user. It sucks that I can't use Hariyama.

So far, I'm thinking Porygon 2, Azumarill, Ferrothorn, A-Muk, Sableye, and Torkoal.

I was thinking of just slapping Gastrodon in there, until I remembered that I can't use another Leftovers. So I'll probably slap a physical attacker in there. I already have a perfect Mimikyu.
Any other suggestions? Is my team just crap, and should I just go back to the drawing board?

Last edited:
I'm sort of questioning how the viability of a BoltBeam + Hidden Power Fire + Recover Porygon2 might sound as a surprise/niche counterpick for Kartana, Excadrill and Ferrothorn, as odds are they'll be everywhere this competition. It can cleanly OHKO Kartana with no SpA investment (unless bulky Ass Vest version) and 2HKO Ferrothorn and Excadrill with full SpA investment. That's not counting a Download boost if you pick up one, and HP Fire can nail other prolly less common Steel types for more damage (Magneton, Mawile, Klefki, Doublade all come to mind).

I'm sort of questioning how the viability of a BoltBeam + Hidden Power Fire + Recover Porygon2 might sound as a surprise/niche counterpick for Kartana, Excadrill and Ferrothorn, as odds are they'll be everywhere this competition. It can cleanly OHKO Kartana with no SpA investment (unless bulky Ass Vest version) and 2HKO Ferrothorn and Excadrill with full SpA investment. That's not counting a Download boost if you pick up one, and HP Fire can nail other prolly less common Steel types for more damage (Magneton, Mawile, Klefki, Doublade all come to mind).
A 3 attacks set may be unusual, but Boltbeam and HP Fire are not too questionable choices to deal with checks Porygon2 has issues with.

I meant that the age variety within the divisions. Like I'm sure I am one of the older players in the Master Division, 38.

Do you know if the tournament counts Wishiwashi as applicable? Because in its Schooling form, I think it's a lot larger than 1 Meter. I really hope it's okay, beacuse my Physical TR Wishiwashi is almost ready :P, it would be fun to get some competitive play out of him.
It plays just tested with downloaded rules.

Anyone look into Qwilfish at all? It's a intimidate user that can take a few hits from Thorn and Kartana, it has access to taunt, and it can run Haze to prevent Eevee setups. My big concern with it is that it's pretty passive.

I'm thinking of grabbing an Azelf to use, but besides Psychic and Flamethrower, I'm not sure what else to run. Taunt, Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Detect, and Shadow Ball all seem like good ideas, but only two slots. Alternatively, what would be a good taunt-user you think? and a Fake Out user for that matter...

Should I go with Shield Dust or Sweet Veil on Ribombee? I like shield dust for its ability to stop flinching from Fake Out and Rock Slide, but I also like Sweet Veil to protect the team from Amoonguss.

Should I go with Shield Dust or Sweet Veil on Ribombee? I like shield dust for its ability to stop flinching from Fake Out and Rock Slide, but I also like Sweet Veil to protect the team from Amoonguss.
In my experience using Ribombee, shield dust has been the better option

Okay, how soon will this be on Showdown? I need to start testing out some teams soon, preferably before I have half my team bred!

I'm thinking of grabbing an Azelf to use, but besides Psychic and Flamethrower, I'm not sure what else to run. Taunt, Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Detect, and Shadow Ball all seem like good ideas, but only two slots. Alternatively, what would be a good taunt-user you think? and a Fake Out user for that matter...
Screens and Safeguard are options, though if I were to go that route, I think I like Meowstic (which could be your Fake Out user if you need one). Offensive Azelf with Psychic/Flamethrower/Protect/Taunt could be a good offensive taunter. I think I would use Focus Sash, but it really depends on the rest of your team (whether your Sash is going elsewhere)

We were talking about Sableye earlier which has both Fake Out and Taunt so if that's what you need, you can consider it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)