Torterra (Gen 4, adding Dual Screens)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
...no seriously. My friend came up with the idea after seeing a turtwig use Reflect in Mystery Dungeon, lol. It actually works pretty well in helping Pokemon like Poliwrath set up.

www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/torterra

Also, I haven't used other Torterra sets enough for me to write the entire revamp/update. If someone else wants to write it, feel free ^_^;

[SET]
name: Dual Screen
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Seed Bomb / Stone Edge
item: Light Clay
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While this set may look odd, it does very well, working similarly to Uxie, Azelf, and Deoxys-S. This set is designed to set up the defensive screens, enabling Pokemon such as Dragon Dance Lapras or Belly Drum Poliwrath to set up much easier and possibly grant a sweep against the opponent. What sets Torterra apart from other UU dual screeners is its typing and the surprise factor; most people will expect a Rock Polish set out of Torterra (or another type of bulky sweeping set). Torterra is also one of few dual screening Pokemon that excels in physical attacks.</p>

<p>Reflect and Light Screen, obviously, are used on this set to support the team. The recommended item, Light Clay, prolongs the effects of the defensive screens, allowing for more set up time. Earthquake and Seed Bomb are two powerful STAB attacks that Torterra can use when in a pinch. Torterra isn't a slouch in Attack either, even with no EVs, Torterra sits at a respectable 254 Attack. For example, Earthquake OHKOes Pokemon such as Blaziken, Ninetales, and Toxicroak, while Seed Bomb OHKOes Omastar and Kabutops. If you wish to increase Torterra's longevity, and have the option of setting up screens multiple times, then Synthesis is a good option over one of the attacking moves. Stealth Rock is another option for this set, as you'll have several turns to set it up while your opponent's attacks are doing half damage. Stealth Rock also helps your sweeper, as the entry hazard will eliminate all Focus Sashes that could put a damper on your sweep. The EVs listed maximize Torterra's defenses so it can take physical and special hits with relative ease.</p>

<p>As was previously stated, Torterra's typing is another asset to this set. Torterra generally draws out Ice-type (to exploit its 4x weakness) or Bug-type attacks. This makes Torterra a great teammate of Charizard, Poliwrath, and other Water-type Pokemon. Behind the defensive screens, it's very easy for Charizard to set up a Substitute and set up Dragon Dance or Belly Drum. Poliwrath can also set up with Belly Drum or even Bulk Up. The bane of any dual screener is Brick Break; thankfully, Brick Break is on the rarer side in UU. Brick Break is near impossible to stop because it breaks the defensive screens even when targeting Ghost-types, so your best bet is to just attack the Brick Break user with a powerful onslaught. Most Pokemon in UU that can use Brick Break, like Toxicroak, Blaziken, and Hariyama, have better options in terms of Fighting attacks. The only Pokemon in UU that commonly use Brick Break are Ambipom, Scyther, and Poliwrath. Ambipom is 2HKOed by Earthquake, so it isn't a major problem. Scyther, however, resists Seed Bomb and is immune to Earthquake, so your team will have to support you in that respect. Stealth Rock is Scyther's greatest counter, as taking 50% damage on the switch in will make it easy pickings for most Pokemon. Registeel, Torkoal, and Steelix also make good counters to it because of their strong Defense and resistance to Scyther's main STAB (or STABs in the case of Registeel and Steelix). Rotom can scare Poliwrath away with its STAB Electric-type attacks or Will-O-Wisp.</p>

<p>Taunt users also make Torterra's job difficult, though by the time the Taunt user comes in, Torterra will most likely have at least one screen up. The most common, and most threatening, Taunt user in UU is Crobat. Crobat is extremely fast, resists Seed Bomb, and is immune to Earthquake. Rotom, especially Choice Scarf Rotom, makes a great switch in to Crobat. It can switch in on the Taunt and scare Crobat away with its STAB Thunderbolt. Registeel and Steelix also help Torterra in this respect. They both are immune to Crobat's Poison-type attacks and resist Air Slash. If your team is especially weak to Crobat, using Stone Edge over Seed Bomb is an option. That way, you can Stone Edge Crobat when it switches in, then Earthquake it as it Roosts.</p>

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've had this set used against me and I can tell you right now that it does work.

The only thing I might suggest is that you put Stone Edge as a slash next to Seed Bomb. This way, you can Stone Edge Crobat on the switch in, and then Earthquake on the Roost, or predict its Taunt and Stone Edge again... it's really the only way that you can hope to beat Crobat.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would like to suggest Stealth Rock at least being mentioned in the set comments. If you are going to be hiding behind 8 turn screens, you might as well take that golden opportunity to get rocks up for free. Synthesis could even be an option that is worth mentioning here so that you can set up both screens more than once. Other than that, the edit looks really good.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OK I added Stone Edge. I'll add in mentions of SR and Synthesis after I eat lunch.

Thanks jrrrr/LonelyNess :)

edit: edited in SR and Synthesis

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Most Pokemon in UU that can use Brick Break, like Toxicroak, Blaziken, and Hariyama, have better options in terms of Fighting attacks.
Hariyama's best Fighting attack is Brick Break on most of his sets.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
On the majority of Hariyama's sets Brick Break or Force Palm is used. Though, I'll occasionally see somebody running Close Combat on a more offensive Hariyama.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If I may direct you to this month's statistics:

| Hariyama | Move | Force Palm | 32.4 |
| Hariyama | Move | Close Combat | 28.2 |
| Hariyama | Move | Brick Break | 13.8 |

If Hariyama ever even decides to USE a Fighting type move (many forgo it entirely)... it's generally using either Force Palm or Close Combat.

Brick Break coming in at 13.8 means it's really a non-issue.

Jimbo, can you mention some attacks that Torterra can take with that EV spread. For example, a Modest Tinted Lens Yanmega will still not be able to OHKO: 364 Atk vs 266 Def & 394 HP (90 Base Power): 324 - 381 (82.23% - 96.70%), that's only a ~7.69 percent chance for Torterra to be OHKO'd with SR on the field.

cim

If Hariyama ever even decides to USE a Fighting type move (many forgo it entirely)...
The "Other" section is where the other Fighting type moves are... come on what kind of Hariyama wouldn't run a Fighting attack we shouldn't be considering the Hariyama users who decide that STAB isn't important as if they actually think that you'll automatically win anyway

it's generally using either Force Palm or Close Combat.

Brick Break coming in at 13.8 means it's really a non-issue.
Well, it's still not "rarely used", it's used a fair amount (not enough, but still used)

...no seriously. My friend came up with the idea after seeing a turtwig use Reflect in Mystery Dungeon, lol. It actually works pretty well in helping Pokemon like Poliwrath set up.

www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/torterra

Also, I haven't used other Torterra sets enough for me to write the entire revamp/update. If someone else wants to write it, feel free ^_^;

[SET]
name: Dual Screen
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Seed Bomb / Stone Edge
item: Light Clay
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While this set may look odd, it does very well, working similarly to Uxie, Azelf, and Deoxys-S. This set is designed to set up the defensive screens, enabling Pokemon such as Dragon Dance Lapras or Belly Drum Poliwrath to set up much easier and possibly grant a sweep against the opponent. What sets Torterra apart from other UU dual screeners is its typing and the surprise factor; most people will expect a Rock Polish set out of Torterra (or another type of bulky sweeping set). Torterra is also one of few dual screening Pokemon that excels in physical attacks.</p>

<p>Reflect and Light Screen, obviously, are used on this set to support the team. The recommended item, Light Clay, prolongs the effects of the defensive screens, allowing for more set up time. Earthquake and Seed Bomb are two powerful STAB attacks that Torterra can use when in a pinch. Torterra isn't a slouch in Attack either: even with no EVs, Torterra sits at a respectable 254 Attack. For example, Earthquake OHKOes Pokemon such as Blaziken, Ninetales, and Toxicroak, while Seed Bomb OHKOes Omastar and Kabutops. If you wish to increase Torterra's longevity, and have the option of setting up screens multiple times, then Synthesis is a good option over one of the attacking moves. Stealth Rock is another option for this set, as you'll have several turns to set it up while your opponent's attacks are doing half damage. Stealth Rock also helps your sweeper, as the entry hazard will eliminate all Focus Sashes that could put a damper on your sweep. The EVs listed maximize Torterra's defenses so it can take physical and special hits with relative ease.</p>

<p>As was previously stated, Torterra's typing is another asset to this set. Torterra generally draws out Ice-type (to exploit its 4x weakness) or Bug-type attacks. This makes Torterra a great teammate of Charizard, Poliwrath, and other Water-type Pokemon. Behind the defensive screens, it's very easy for Charizard to set up a Substitute and set up Dragon Dance or Belly Drum. Poliwrath can also set up with Belly Drum or even Bulk Up. The bane of any dual screener is Brick Break; thankfully, Brick Break is on the rarer side in UU. Brick Break is near impossible to stop because it breaks the defensive screens even when targeting Ghost-types, so your best bet is to just attack the Brick Break user with a powerful onslaught. Most Pokemon in UU that can use Brick Break, like Toxicroak, Blaziken, and Hariyama, have better options in terms of Fighting attacks. The only Pokemon in UU that commonly use Brick Break are Ambipom and Scyther. Ambipom is 2HKOed by Earthquake, so it isn't a major problem. Scyther, however, resists Seed Bomb and is immune to Earthquake, so your team will have to support you in that respect. Stealth Rock is Scyther's greatest counter, as taking 50% damage on the switch in will make it easy pickings for most Pokemon. Registeel, Torkoal, and Steelix also make good counters to it because of their strong Defense and resistance to Scyther's main STAB (or STABs in the case of Registeel and Steelix).</p>

<p>Taunt users also make Torterra's job difficult, though by the time the Taunt user comes in, Torterra will most likely have at least one screen up. The most common, and most threatening, Taunt user in UU is Crobat. Crobat is extremely fast, resists Seed Bomb, and is immune to Earthquake. Rotom, especially Choice Scarf Rotom, makes a great switch in to Crobat. It can switch in on the Taunt and scare Crobat away with its STAB Thunderbolt. Registeel and Steelix also help Torterra in this respect. They both are immune to Crobat's Poison-type attacks and resist Air Slash. If your team is especially weak to Crobat, using Stone Edge over Seed Bomb is an option. That way, you can Stone Edge Crobat when it switches in, then Earthquake it as it Roosts.</p>

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
Is Poliwrath's Brick Break really that big of a deal? I mean, really. What self respecting Pokemon player is going to switch Poliwrath IN to Torterra when the huge threat of a Life Orb Wood Hammer (from the Rock Polish set) looms? Not me, that's for sure. Ambipom and Scyther are at least believable switch-ins. The former for its ability to hit the Rock Polisher with Fake Out and the latter because it resists 4X or is immune to both STABS.

Just because Poliwrath learns and carries Brick Break doesn't mean it's a threat to Torterra's Screens.

cim

I really don't think we should add something to an analysis that's pulled straight from hhjj's ass. No one uses Poliwrath and no one would switch him into a Torterra. It's a paper counter, not a real one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)