TRying to get to the top

Hey everyone, I'm zdrup15 with my second warstory here. This time I bring you the best RU battle I've ever had. It pretty much reflects what RU stage 2 is about: both teams are offensive witch results in a very fast-paced battle. At the time of this battle I was #3 on the ladder and SGV was #1 and there were only 6 hours left for the deadline of the round, with the #1 securing a place on the RU Council as you all know. Ok, enough talking, let's see the battle!

Battle between zdrup15 and .SGV. started!
Tier: Standard RU
Variation: +16, -16
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle
Rule: Self-KO Clause

After seeing his team I think I have two options: either I go with my dedicated lead TrickScarf Uxie or I start with Scarf Braviary because he doesn't have anything that can take 2 attacks. However, that Smeargle can be very dangerous, especially considering SGV has been playing with SmashPass a lot recently. I decide that Uxie will be my lead only because I don't want to have my Braviary asleep and risk a SmashPass so early on. I am also aware that he has a Sharpedo, which is a major threat to my team, and so I know I have to keep my Gallade healthy at all costs because he's the only one who can take a hit from Sharpedo and set up Trick Room up.

zdrup15 sent out Uxie!
.SGV. sent out Smeargle!

SGV went with Smeargle and that can only mean it's a dedicated lead. As I said before, a SmashPass would be too dangerous because the only bulky Pokemon on my team are Uxie, which wasn't made for attacking, and Slowking, which is OHKOed by the most likely receiver, Electrivire. That said, I have to Trick Smeargle and end that possibility because even if he switches Medicham in (the most likely to be scarfed), Uxie can take a hit, and U-Turn out to grab the momentum.

Turn 1

Uxie used Trick!
Uxie switched items with the foe's Smeargle!
Uxie obtained one Focus Sash!
The foe's Smeargle obtained one Choice Scarf!

The foe's Smeargle used Spore!
Uxie fell asleep!

Well, I think everyone expected that but at least I'm happy Smeargle is crippled. Uxie is now asleep but that isn't such a big problem considering it has done its job in this match. I know SGV will switch out but I don't want to put myself on a dangerous position, because if he switches Sharpedo in, only Gallade can take a hit but Entei and Electrivire make me risk my best answer to the shark. Uxie can take a hit from everything and U-Turn out to another Trick Room set-upper to start building my win.

Turn 2

.SGV. called Smeargle back!
.SGV. sent out Sharpedo!

Uxie is fast asleep!

Well, Gallade would be a good switch but I'm not a psychic... Anyway, Sharpedo is in and this is where I have to hope for the best. Nothing on my team can switch on Sharpedo which means I'll have to stay and hope Uxie wakes up and U-Turn to Gallade to hurt Sharpedo badly and change the momentum. Come on Uxie! Wake up, wake up, wake up!

Turn 3

The foe's Sharpedo used Crunch!
It's super-effective! Uxie lost 59% of its health!
The foe's Sharpedo is hurt by its life orb!

Uxie is fast asleep!

The foe's Sharpedo's Speed Boost increases its speed!
The foe's Sharpedo's Speed rose!

Crap, my beloved pixie decided he wanted some sleep and I'm now in troubles. I'll have to let Uxie be KOed and switch Gallade. Man, I'm being easy...

Turn 4

It's super-effective! Uxie lost 40% of its health!

Uxie fainted!

zdrup15 sent out Gallade!

That's it, the fun ends here! Gallade is out and it's time to change the momentum. Everyone knows Gallade is physically weak and they always keep their Sharpedo only to see it failing because Gallade has max HP investment, which means it can take anything Sharpedo throws at it and set up Trick Room. After that, it's time to start my own party!

Turn 5

.SGV. called Sharpedo back!
.SGV. sent out Smeargle!

Gallade used Trick Room!
Gallade twisted the dimensions!

Damn it SGV, how did you know that Gallade could take anything??? Were you scouting me? Or is it that I've been using the same team since the ladder was reset three weeks ago? Hmmm, probably the second one xD So, poor Smeargle switches in and I think SGV thought it still had Focus Sash. Well, I'm very glad I took care of it. Close Combat can be seen from a mile away but I can't risk Smeargle surviving and Spore Gallade.

Turn 6

Gallade used Close Combat!
It's super-effective! The foe's Smeargle lost 100% of its health!

The foe's Smeargle fainted!
Gallade's Defense fell!
Gallade's Special Defense fell!
Gallade is hurt by its life orb!

.SGV. sent out Entei!

The foe's Entei is exerting its pressure!

The score is 5-5 but now I have to switch. Entei's Flare Blitz will OHKO Gallade even if it isn't LO. Luckily I have one of the best switch-ins on my team, which can also abuse Trick Room on its own. It's my team's MVP, go slowKING!

Turn 7

zdrup15 called Gallade back!
zdrup15 sent out Slowking!

The foe's Entei used Toxic!
Slowking was badly poisoned!

Slowking is hurt by poison!

I know what you're thinking, oh your physical wall is dead and your special wall is poisoned now, you're screwed! Not really, SGV is using an offensive team, which means the battle will be short. Slowking will also switch out after two turns at most due to the fact he has an Eletrivire on his team, and Regenerator will restore most of the health I'll lose. Tbh I'm happy I didn't have to take a CB Flare Blitz because that would hurt a lot more. Now I'm in a great position because he has nothing on his team that can take a Surf (Sharpedo is 2HKOed). He has to sac something to bring Electrivire or Sharpedo in and it can't be Entei because it's OHKOed and I'd still have one turn. Well, I'm overthinking here, Surf away!

Turn 8

.SGV. called Entei back!
.SGV. sent out Medicham!

Slowking used Surf!
The foe's Medicham lost 75% of its health!

Slowking restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

SGV decides to sac the HJK master, Medicham itself. I'm cool with it because nothing on my team enjoys a HJK on the face. Let's finish it.

Turn 9

Slowking used Surf!
The foe's Medicham lost 24% of its health!

The foe's Medicham fainted!

The twisted dimensions returned to normal!
.SGV. sent out Sharpedo!

Medicham is now gone but here comes the Dark Shark (yeah, I'm not a creative guy xD), and if you still haven't figured out, I'm in troubles again. The strategy is the same: to switch Gallade in safe. The problem is also the same: nothing can take a hit. Solution: sacrifice something. I can't sacrifice Slowking because it walls Entei and can take a hit from Haunter and set up Trick Room; Marowak can KO at least two Pokemon (Sharpedo's Protect makes it impossible to last longer) if I manage to set Trick Room up; and Braviary can clean after Marowak and Slowking do their jobs. The only one left is Choice Band Aggron aka the wallbreaker. It could do a lot of damage too but Head Smash's crappy accuracy means it's the least valuable member. Sorry big guy...

Turn 10

zdrup15 called Slowking back!
zdrup15 sent out Aggron!

It's not very effective... Aggron lost 13% of its health!
Aggron's Defense fell!

BS HAX!!! That Defense drop mattered so much it's not even funny! Nah, I'm joking but this is the worst hax you'll see during the battle so it's a great time to complain xD There's not much to say here, I'm still waiting for Sharpedo to KO Aggron and then I can get back on track.

Turn 11

The foe's Sharpedo used Hydro Pump!
It's super-effective! Aggron lost 86% of its health!

Aggron fainted!

zdrup15 sent out Gallade!

Aggron is KOed by Sharpedo and now Gallade is in. It's time to pray that hax doesn't appear and set up Trick Room one more time!

Turn 12

Gallade lost 67% of its health!

Gallade used Trick Room!
Gallade twisted the dimensions!

Yes, Offensive Trick Room Gallade shows its bulk one more time surviving a STAB physical attack and setting up Trick Room one more time! I'm sure SGV will use Protect to stall one more turn (he'd be dumb if he didn't do this) so I'll just click Close Combat as it doesn't really matter.

Turn 13

The foe's Sharpedo used Protect!
The foe's Sharpedo protected itself!

Gallade used Close Combat!
The foe's Sharpedo protected itself from the attack!

Well, SGV Protected as I'm sure you have predicted but I don't think he'll do it again. After all, now that Gallade is weakened, Sharpedo can pretty much sweep if Trick Room isn't up. There are three options: Electrivire outspeeds everything but Braviary and resists Brave Bird; Entei has ExtremeSpeed which means it can be used to KO Gallade if it manages to switch in safely; and Haunter that can't OHKO anything and is OHKOed by everything in return, which means it's the least important Pokemon for SGV aka the best death fodder. Night Slash away Gallade!

Turn 14

.SGV. called Sharpedo back!
.SGV. sent out Haunter!

Gallade used Night Slash!
It's super-effective! The foe's Haunter lost 100% of its health!

The foe's Haunter fainted!
Gallade is hurt by its life orb!

.SGV. sent out Entei!

It's always good to see a good prediction. Now with Gallade barely standing with 12% left, it's obvious it won't do anything else in this match: it can't take a hit and is KOed by anything (including Entei's ExtremeSpeed). It's time to sacrifice the fighting dude but Slowking shall take its place and avenge it (or at least scare Entei away xD)!

Turn 15

The foe's Entei used ExtremeSpeed!
Gallade lost 12% of its health!

Gallade fainted!

zdrup15 sent out Slowking!

SGV has three Pokemon left and Surf only misses the OHKO on Electrivire so, hmmm yeah, that was the only thought I had at this point xD

Turn 16

.SGV. called Entei back!
.SGV. sent out Electivire!

Slowking used Surf!
The foe's Electivire lost 73% of its health!

Well, this is the turn where everything will be decided! If SGV is using Wild Charge, it's pretty much gg for me as Sharpedo will then KO Marowak and Braviary. However, if he's using Thunderbolt, Slowking can take a hit, set up Trick Room, and go for the win.

Turn 17

The foe's Electivire used Thunderbolt!
It's super-effective! Slowking lost 86% of its health!
The foe's Electivire is hurt by its life orb!

Slowking used Trick Room!
Slowking twisted the dimensions!

YES!!! Electrivire had Thunderbolt and SlowKING tanked a LO STAB super effective hit to give me the win! Unfortunately for Slowking, it only has 1% left so it will go down with Electrivire, which means Marowak is the one that will have the pleasure to grab the win. But that doesn't really matter now, Surf's up!

Turn 18

Slowking used Surf!
The foe's Electivire lost 16% of its health!

The foe's Electivire fainted!

Slowking fainted!
zdrup15 sent out Marowak!

.SGV. sent out Entei!

Ground-type vs Fire-type, I wonder which move Marowak will use... (hint: it has Earthquake xD)

Turn 19

The foe's Entei used ExtremeSpeed!
Marowak lost 37% of its health!

Marowak used Earthquake!
It's super-effective! The foe's Entei lost 100% of its health!

The foe's Entei fainted!

.SGV. sent out Sharpedo!

With two turns of Trick Room left, this is what suddenly made me realize I didn't have the win:

zdrup15 gg man
.SGV. gg
.SGV. no 50/50
.SGV. two protects

So yeah, SGV also thought he'd lose but then realized he could still get lucky and win if Sharpedo managed to double Protect.

Turn 20

Marowak used Earthquake!

Come on luck, don't fail me now, you better give me that miss...

Turn 21

Marowak used Earthquake!

Well it's over now, Sharpedo outspeeds Marowak and Braviary and can OHKO them. Let's hope SGV's brain freezes and he uses Hydro Pump so that I can have a chance to win...

Turn 22

The foe's Sharpedo used Ice Beam!
It's super-effective! Marowak lost 62% of its health!

Marowak fainted!

zdrup15 sent out Braviary!

Nope, everything is ok with his brain, which means I lose... gg

Turn 23

The foe's Sharpedo used Ice Beam!
It's super-effective! Braviary lost 96% of its health!

Braviary used Frustration!
A critical hit! The foe's Sharpedo lost 30% of its health!

The foe's Sharpedo fainted!

zdrup15 won the battle!

zdrup15 yes!!!

This pretty much sums everything, I didn't see it coming! After the match I calced it and realized Ice Beam only does 89.15% - 104.99%, which means I had huge chances of winning but I didn't know it. Well, it was a great match so gg SGV

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Great job with the warstory, Zdrup15. The battle was every entertaining and is, for lack of better words "one of those matches that makes you enjoy competitive Pokemon". I liked the commentary as well, I found myself cheering for your team during the match, mainly because it seemed like the underdog [not to defame it, it's very well-built]. All in all, great warstory and congratulations on the win/council seat.

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I liked the proactive comments and the battle itself was very nice, although I don't agree with a lot of the moves SGV played; either way, I enjoyed it!

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Damn awesome warstory Zdrup! The end was great as well. If Sharpedo had pulled the win with double Protects, this wouldn't be warstory material IMO. Even so, it's a great showcase of the current meta, with some good diversity. No hazards, Honchkrow, or Lilligant, I noticed.

I liked the formatting. The predicted Haunter switchin on turn 14 was kinda cool as well. 9 / 10!

Not only is an RU warstory awesome, but both players performed excellently and with some great teams. Bravo.

Really nice warstory zdrup15! The presentation was amazing. The battle was short but it had just enough sharp predictions to give it quality and of course the ending was nail-biting! I really enjoyed that and hope you do more in future, a longer battle with more predictions would be awesome!

Nice predictions good explanations of your thought processes, nice formatting and a nail biter ending. GJ man! 9,5/10

How does Braviary fare in RU? I've noticed him rising somewhat in the ranks in recent usage stats. Other than his surprising survival he didn't see much action here.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Very nice warstory!
It had all the elements it needs to be good,meaning nice format,good commentary and predictions and a very thrilling and close ending!

One of the best warstories i have read. Good playing by you, well explained. Although if you think about writing warstories in the future you might wanna reduce the amount of XD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)