Type: Null, Silvally Discussion

Tory

Banned deucer.
The main use I see for Silvally in OU are support Wish teams.

A good Rest/Sleep Talk/Roar/Multi-Attack does sounds nice, but Pokemon like Suicune, Volcanion, Machamp, Goodra, Snorlax, Swamper, and Torterra does that better.

In situations like this they usually are (like Scyther and Scizor having the same BST but different tiers), but I'd be surprised if they ended up in different ones.

In situations like this they usually are (like Scyther and Scizor having the same BST but different tiers), but I'd be surprised if they ended up in different ones.
Those are different species though. The more obvious analogy is to Arceus itself, which is tiered separately by type. They're just all uber.

The main difference here is that there isn't a borderline tier between Ubers and OU. Ubers is the banlist from OU, so that's why lesser used Arceus formes don't fall into a hypothetical "BL0". It'll be interesting to see what council and policies have to say about Silvally, as some types will obviously be greater than others.

One thing worth knowing is whether you can tell Silvally's type at Team Preview. If you can then it may be treated completely different than Arceus. Here's hoping you can't though.

No Retaliate? No Extreme Speed? GAAAAAAME FREEEEEAAK........!

That aside, I really like Silvally and Type: Null's designs, so I will certainly find a use for them. Although it would have been certainly nice if they had given Silvally a move with a multiplier against legendary and mythical mons.

I'm actually excited to use Silvally because of the unknown typing. Hopefully it doesn't change color or straight tell the opponent "Silvally resonates with his fire item" or whatever. My biggest letdown with this pokemon is that it doesn't have both a physical and special version of Multi-Attack. I think it would be really cool for this incredibly versatile attackers to be even that more versatile.

What's even better... Z-Parting Shot heals replacement pokemon 100% (according to the z-move discussion), but I think you'll have to give up Memory Item for Z-crystal.

It's an odd choice for 95 all, but I guess they didn't want to completely make it 'better' than something like Mew/Shaymin. Kinda underwhelming though, even the unpredictability of this mon isn't going to help the mediocrity of the stats.

Also remember eviolite gives 1.2x boost this gen. Not as insane, I'm pretty sure that's only like 130 effective defense.
AJWF it was confirmed that the eviolite nerf isnt going to happen

You have to think about things that this mon does well that others can't do. Wish passing, sweeping etc all are all done better by a lot of other Pokemon.

For that Reason I think Explosion is a must. Only competition is Likilicky and... Well it's Likilicky!

A Z-Move powered by explosion also results in two huge hits in a row. Could be devastating but not sure if it's worth the loss of items that patch up his speed.

There's a big red SPOILERS button on the thread that indicates you shouldn't come here if you don't want to be spoiled.
There's also a big red thread marked "story spoilers" and mods have told people to go there multiple times in the "general discussion" thread. Don't try to be smart. The big red "spoilers" warning are so you dont get the mons spoiled which I don't care for since I saw the dex leak.

As I said it's a minor spoiler so it doesn't have much impact, but all I asked for was "to be vague".

Last edited:
AJWF it was confirmed that the eviolite nerf isnt going to happen
Cool. At the time they didn't have it marked as confirmed. Will make Type Null a good bulky attacker but I think the duck is still going to steal a lot of viability from him in UU. Recovery and utility vs attack coverage, and I think that the coverage is overall not important due to the fact that you could really just get something like Darmanitan/Flygon instead for similar effect. Type Null might end up a full tier below P2 just on a basis of having a hard time distinguishing itself.

Since there are multiple shades of blue and purple, it can still create some mind games. I honestly couldn´t tell you which of those Blue shades is Water, Dragon, Ice or Flying.
I think I played this game of "Guess what Silvally's Type is" once earlier on the forum. The colors look a little closer to the colors used for the Type Icons imo. Although for some reason, judging by the Reveal Video, it seems like Ice and Water may have been switched. On that picture it appears to be:
Normal, Fire, Steel, Poison, Bug, Fighting, Rock, Water, Ice, Ghost, Ground, Fairy, Grass, Electric, Psychic, Flying, Dragon, Dark.

Although i am Mostly certain on this. Poison and Ghost may be flipped around, and the main context clue from the second Silvally on the middle row being Water is the fact that the Reveal Video had Fire and Grass shown alongside that one. Those four types I am less certain, but I'm sure we would probably catch on fairly quickly once we start using it in-game.

It's in the Undiscovered egg group, and we're probably never getting a level 1 Null
That would explain why Type: Null doesn't learn any moves at all until Level 5. Which begs the question: what would happen if a Type: Null egg or wild Level 1 Type: Null were hacked into the game?

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Silvally seems more interesting because of the novelty than any real competitive impact, however I do think there are going to be 3 archetypal sets - Swords Dance, Bulky Support, and Dragon-Silvally.

Dragon Silvally:
Dragon Memory
Max Atk/Spe Naive.
Multi-Attack
Draco Meteor
Parting Shot
Iron Head

Obviously getting the STAB on Dragon makes it usable as an attacker, and being able to hit for neutral on most opponents (and whack Fairies with Iron Head) is highly desirable. Dragon's great tesistances also makes it a great pivot for Parting Shot.

Bulky Support:
Leftovers
Max HP / Invested Def
Return
Toxic
Thunder Wave
Parting Shot

Decent all-around bulk works for Mew, it should work for Silvally too. Toxic and T-Wave aren't the best statuses, but they're there. If you use a Memory instead of Lefties, obviously swap out Return for Multi-Attack.

Swords Dance
Life Orb / Memory
Max Atk / Max Spe Jolly
Swords Dance
Return / Multi Attack
Coverage
Explosion / Coverage

The Life Orb version has a great option in STAB Explosion, which will take any enemy that doesn't resist out with it.

All in all I think time will tell whether Silvally can find a spot in OU or if it will fall to UU, but it is a pretty cool mon and shouldn't be totally undersold.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)