Unpopular opinions

Yeah I must be remembering it wrong.

I wouldn't miss on flareblitz immediate power.

Fire punch has always felt mediocre outside of GSC campaign wise.

Personally, I really hate recoil moves for in-game use (also moves with 5 PP), and other than Flare Blitz there really aren't any good physical Fire moves (unless you're one of the literal handful of Pokemon that learn Blaze Kick, or Heatmor). Electric's situation is actually slightly worse, since Wild Charge is inexplicably a recoil move (it would have been a perfect move without it, being literally a physical version of Thunderbolt).

I agree with the person earlier that there are too many legendary Pokémon in some regions. Sinnoh was the first one I thought it. Phione and Regigigas are utter jokes and did not need to exist. How many people forget base form Shaymin exists? I do at least. Then Unova added a shit ton more and we are buried.
I believe Hoenn has the best designed legendaries.
My man

1) 2) Johto Dex is trash, too many baby Pokemons and most of the starters are bad. I often forgot that Chikorita exists. Celebi is not a memorable legend. I like Tyranitar and Kingdra though.

3) Not a big fan of having too many legendaries (Sinnoh, Unova, Alola). Many legendaries mean more competitive but on the other hand, it makes some legendaries less memorable. I frequently forgot that Regis and Lake Guardians (and Zygarde in Gen 6) exist. I think an ideal region should only have 7-8. A trio of weaker legends like birds, beasts, another trio of cover legends, and one or two mythicals. I know both Sinnoh and Unova have 4 Mythicals.
:)
Oh you said it. I agree there are too many legendary Pokémon but Johto slander will not be tolerated rn sir. OK you got the best eeveelutions, probably the best legendary trio, ho-oh and Lugia are sick, CROBAT, Heracross Scizor repping bugs and you get the idea

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh you said it. I agree there are too many legendary Pokémon but Johto slander will not be tolerated rn sir. OK you got the best eeveelutions, probably the best legendary trio, ho-oh and Lugia are sick, CROBAT, Heracross Scizor repping bugs and you get the idea
The Johto dex isn't just hit-and-miss, it's hit-hard-and-miss-hard. There are many awesome 'mons, like those you listed, but especially until Gen IV Johto was filled with semi-useless Jokémon that were barely tolerable in in-game play. Sunflora, Ariados, Ledian, Noctowl, Mantine, Magcargo, Xatu, Aipom, Unown, Wobbuffet, Girafarig, Corsola, Delibird, Stantler, Yanma... the list of mediocre crapmons went on and on. Try playing Pokémon Colosseum to see for yourself. And even the starters are kind of boring and underwhelming these days, compared with most of what came after them.

It also didn't help that the good Johto 'mons were so dang hard to obtain, or arrived too late to be of use, in the original games. Scizor, Houndoom, Blissey, Porygon2, and Tyranitar were postgame. You actually had to choose between Scizor and Steelix, unless you knew the obscure fact that some Magnemite could hold Metal Coat. Pineco and Heracross were very rare in Headbutt trees. Skarmory came after all the Gyms but one, where it didn't have much use anyway. The same went for Phanpy, except in Crystal where it was a (very rare!) encounter in the second route of the game... and then only in the morning.

Luckily, later generations amended most of the flaws of Johto. But I still can't help but think of Gen II as the crapmon generation. Yes, there were honourable exceptions, but those were a pain to obtain if you could get them at all before all the fun was over.

Gen III is not really better ... Mightyena Linoone Beautifly Dustox Masquerain Nosepass Delcatty Mawile Plusle Minun Volbeat Illumise Swallot Grumpig Spinda Lunatone Solrock Castform Chimecho and many others I forgot

Every generation has its crapmons, and it's not much of a surprise. It would be hard to make every Pokemon equally usable. I actually enjoy crapmons, there shouldn't be loads of them but I do like to see diversity in how good Pokemon are. Not every Pokemon gets to be one of the powerful ones and they're nice to use as a sort of hard mode for the game if you don't want to modify the "rules" of Pokemon like in a Nuzlocke or a Mono run. Not much of a reason but I enjoy they're presence anyway.

A fair amount of them have pretty good designs too.

Sometimes I wish I could just burn through the Pokedex and rebalance everything myself, but that's a pretty selfish solution, really. If the game was more restrictive with moves, and provided less tools and coverage moves to stronger stat mons while also providing better moves, tools, and coverage to weaker stat mons, you'd have a somewhat smaller power gap between the worst of the worst and the best of the best. At least, that's how I see it.

There were for me no crapmons in Gen VI, and very few in Gen V (Purloiin and that's all ?)
So Vivillon, Aromatisse, Dedenne, and Carbink are all fine by you? What about Watchog, Unfezant, Swoobat, Swanna, Basculin, and Stunfisk from gen 5? It's fine if you like them and all, but these are all quite underwhelming Pokemon.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
So Vivillon, Aromatisse, Dedenne, and Carbink are all fine by you? What about Watchog, Unfezant, Swoobat, Swanna, Basculin, and Stunfisk from gen 5? It's fine if you like them and all, but these are all quite underwhelming Pokemon.
I personally find Vivillon more inspired and better designed than the other level 10 bugs in the games, but the others you mentioned are quite bad

Vivillion was really powerful for a low level bug with Compound Eyes Quiver Dance Hurricane Bug Buzz !
Carbink is like a preevolution of Diancie even if it's not really the case
I found Dedenne really cute and it doesn't suck ... Remember the final of VGC 3 years ago IIRC ?
Aromatisse is not really good, I'm ok with you

I agree with Watchog, Unfeazant and Swoobat. Not really with Swanna, Basculin and STUNFISK ! Stunfisk is the best designed pokemon ever ! But so many pokemon in GEN V, I can accept small crap

Chiming in on Vivillon, since it's my favourite Gen VI Pokemon.

First of all, like Altissimo and Antihaxxer said, it's actually really good ingame. I used one in my X playthrough, and it absolutely pulled its weight with Quiver Dance.

Even more than that, though, its gimmick is one of few Pokemon gimmicks that I actually really like. Back in the month after XY came out, I went on the quest to collect all 18 patterns, and that is still one of my favourite memories of Pokemon. How can 4 years ago seem like yesterday?

Isn't Stunfisk designed after a flounder, which has a flat face and eyes on the same side? A Ground/Electric depiction of one is actually pretty cool.

Isn't Stunfisk designed after a flounder, which has a flat face and eyes on the same side? A Ground/Electric depiction of one is actually pretty cool.
Well, IIRC Sugimori stated in an interview that Stunfisk was supposed to be a Water/Electric type Pokemon, but it was changed to Ground/Electric for a better type distribution (I assume it's to avoid something like the "lol only 2 Fire-types" problem Diamond and Pearl had). I think it was in the same interview where Sugimori said the Deino line resembled tanks at first.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
real talk am i the only one who hates the lance/red battle music? it just seems so...unexciting to me, and a lot of the parts sound bad in general. idk it reminds me of fan game music

I don't hate it, it's just kinda mediocre unless you hear an orchestrated version that goes all the way to make the percussions work.

People do get a big boner for it, at least it isn't as bad as Title defense or Alder theme.

Title defense is just bad on most angles other than fanservice, vs Lance is just unimpressive unless orchestrated.

I don't hate the title defense theme, but I do think it's being utilized for the wrong thing. It sounds like trailer music (because technically it is), and doesn't really suit a champion vs challenger brawl to be #1.

But the way it's orchestrated reminds me of Gusty Garden Galaxy for some reason. Am I crazy or does anybody else hear bits and pieces of it? Not so much the instruments but the hard opener followed by some really soft stanzas.

Did think Alder's theme was that popular though, as besides word of the mouth and the internet most casual players will never hear it (as Alder is a post-game fight).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)