Updating Analyses (Concerning HG | SS)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So it appears that some Pokemon got new moves. Wonderful, as usual. Question is when we should start looking into implementing these. Should we wait for ~ a month for the metagame to settle down, take action now, or something else of the sort? Just wondering, 'tis all.

I'm getting the feeling that we're going on normally and using personal judgement to decide if there's been enough time for testing, etc. I'm curious too, though.

To be honest, I don't think we can set a timeframe on it just yet. We have no idea if pokemon like Nasty Plot Mismagius will effect their respective tiers, and if so, by how much. Waiting a while for things to settle down and people to collect information is a good idea - two weeks to a month to get a decent first idea on whether a lot or a little will need revamping (seeing as OU / UU revamps are currently taking place).

As for singular movesets, I personally recommend sticking to this plan and waiting a while (around two weeks, again) before the first versions of specific new movesets start to get posted. I have been meaning to catch up with darkie to ask for his opinion but he seems to have disappeared off IRC, but I doubt he minds too much.

In short, just a couple or a few weeks "pause" on most things. I'll post some threads around C&C later unless anybody has any objections.

I agree that we should wait before continuing to upload analyses, at least for UU which has gotten a massive change. In a few weeks we will have a better knowledge of things and thus should be able to write more accurate analyses especially for UU.

As far as OU goes, I still think we should wait at least a week, but I don't see a need to re-write many of the analyses as might be necessary for UU. I don't have a problem with people writing single sets with HG/SS moves but I don't think they should be uploaded for awhile. People can then later suggest what has changed and how to make the analysis more current.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not much really needs to be added for a lot of them. Forretress might need to be slapped Pain Split, same with Rotom-A. For OU it's minor additions. UU is a different story, that I agree.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think that at most a couple sets will be either revised or added. It doesn't look like it's going to be much, though.

UU is where the real play is. Entire analyses may need to be revamped for the major shifts.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
There's some that can be done almost straight away (Low Kick getting thrown into the analysis' of several Pokemon such as Weavile, Ambipom etc) but I'd rather we gave it a few weeks on some of the more influential changes just to see how things play out.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeh, agreeing with Lee (and basically everyone else). The likes of Bug Bite on Scizor over X-Scissor is another example of a straightforward change (which I think was already made anyway). But a lot of other additions will need some time.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Alright then. Guess we'll wait two weeks and see what happens. UU might be a different situation altogether, so that might take more time.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I would prefer that nothing is done to reflect the HGSS changes for at least two weeks, so we can experiment with them. Even the seemingly straightforward might not be as simple as it appears.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Just make the changes when it becomes clear. There is no need to rush... and we have enough vigilant people that things certainly won't lag.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd say that there are a couple of situations in which new moves completely 100% outclass old ones, such as Low Kick replacing Brick Break on Weavile and Ambipom, and Bug Bite replacing X-Scissor on every Technician variant of Scyther and Scizor.

Beyond that, nothing should be posted until it is absolutely clear that it warrants a mention, and even then, there's the standard C&C method for doing that.

I pretty much agree with what SDS has to say. Nevertheless, it is vital that we set a time frame to test these new additions before actually posting sets. I am aware of many users who post a set without actually testing it first, and we definitely want reliable analyses on site.

Posted three relevant threads in the major places. I left out small changes because we can easily make them on-site in a couple of weeks. I'll desticky them in a couple of weeks or so, and we can go from there.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Alright, UU experts may need to chime in. Ubers and OU would have small changes at best otherwise from what we've seen so far. Should we wait longer (until ~November) for OU and Ubers or you think it's good to go?

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think Ubers is at least good to go. The only major change in the tier was Brave Bird Ho-oh, and Pain Split Forretress to a much lesser extant.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
UU got a fuckton of changes. I'd wait until at least this next round of testing is over, given the re-introduction of 3 old BLs, the introduction of 3 new members, and the departing of Roserade.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I think Ubers is at least good to go. The only major change in the tier was Brave Bird Ho-oh, and Pain Split Forretress to a much lesser extant.
Agreeing with this here. The changes in the Uber metagame are quite minor-the only HGSS stuff worth mentioning are those mentioned, Blockpass Mew, Hydro Pump Palkia (the last one here doesn't even see any use besides 2HKOing Blissey with Specs), and probably some Low Kick stuff like Weavile and Kabutops. None of these changes are major enough to warrant a long wait.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Deleted the stickies from OU | BL and Uber section. UU will be left alone. Also, I'm wondering if UU should be padlocked entirely until Rhyperior and co. testing is complete.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As for Little Cup, analysis can be posted as soon as we determine if Berry Juice is going to be allowed or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)