[UU] Haunter (Ready for QC and GP (or anything that comes before that))

Status
Not open for further replies.

apokemontrainer68

Banned deucer.

[OVERVIEW]

While Gengar is the better ghost,Haunter has a pretty good special stat and it's quite fast for UU.

[SET]
name:Hypnosisnattack
move 1:Hypnosis
move 2:Psychic
move 3:Thunderbolt
move 4:Explosion

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

The set name explains pretty much what Haunter is going to do (destroy things and put them to sleep if you are not slower).While it doesn't have the biggest movepool (that award goes to Mew) it's still has enough moves to make use of.Hypnosis is a very good move because it puts the enemy to sleep meaning it will wake up probably after 1 or 7 turns and in these 7 turns you have a lot of time to setup but in Haunter's case it's to attack with it's 115 special stat (or defend as well).Psychic is a move that should be on any pokemon that has access to it (because we all know about the psychic typing in gen 1 right?) and while Haunter doesn't get the STAB bonus it still hits hard poison types like:Arbok,Weezing and Muk but Haunter needs to watch out for Earthquake from Arbok.Thunderbolt is a good move against flying types like:Pidgeot,Fearow,Farfetch'd and Dodrio and against water types like Seaking,Seadra and Blastoise.Explosion is there only if Haunter can't really do anything against the opponents pokemon for example or to explode on things that would 1 shot it.

Usage Tips
========

Hypnosis is very important since it's so good in gen 1 so Haunter needs to use it when it can use it for example it could use Hypnosis on ground types like Marowak and Dugtrio.Exploding randomly is not something good to do either since the opponent can switch into something like Onix which has high defenses and a rock typing to resist the explosion but same thing can be said about Graveler.In general i would say just use Psychic and Hypnosis and use Thunderbolt on things that are weak to it.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Night Shade is a pretty good move because we all know pokemon in the tier don't really have the hp that other pokemon do have in the higher tiers (well only OU and UBERS for gen 1 at least).Mega Drain is also a pretty good attack but it doesn't quite 1 shot ground types and not even Graveler and if it doesn't Graveler will just 1 shot you with Earthquake.Bide can be used if you wanted to defend for some reason,Confuse Ray could be used to confuse your opponents but it's still kinda risky since who knows if the opponent would actually hit themselves and if not you are kinda dead.Dream Eater is a decent move if you have Hypnosis on Haunter but Psychic is more useful since the opponent doesn't have to be asleep.Toxic works for a defensive set too but for an offensive set it's not very good since you want to attack mainly.

Checks and Counters
===================

Graveler,Nidoking,Marowak and Dugtrio 1 shot Haunter with Earthquake.

Charizard is a decent choice to at least check Haunter since it's faster and has access to earthquake.

Onix and Blastoise are let's say decent checks to Haunter but Blastoise is a 2 shot with Thunderbolt and Onix is also a 2 shot with Psychic.

Moltres and Articuno are also pretty good checks because of Haunter not being able to 1 shot or even 2 shot them because of their high special stats,they 2 shot Haunter with either Fire Blast or Blizzard.

Last edited:
The analysis lacks the critical component that Haunter brings to the meta and that is his wrap immunity. This is big deal since gen1 uu is filled with wrappers (Cruel, Nite, Bel). He's far from a hard check for them aside from Bel (who's the least used out of 3) but can status them or deal solid damage before getting koed so that they can be easily revenge killed by Kadabra or Dugtrio.

You mention a lot of potential threats or good match ups that have very little to no presence in the tier such as:
-pure poison types ie Muk, Arbok
-every normal/flying type not named Dodrio
-Onix and Marowak (completely outclassed by Graveler and Sandslash but even those aren't used much, the only frequently used ground type is Dugtrio)
-pure water types not named Vaporeon.

I completely disagree with the statement that Psychic is mandatory on Haunter. Since there is no stab coverage is much more important and aside from opposing Haunter and previously mentioned Bel there aren't a lot of popular mons in the tier that psychic is required for super effective dmg (we could also include Venusaur but just like Bel it can't do much to Haunter, if you face some exotic mons like Nidoking or Machamp then well they ohko Haunter with EQ*). Besides you usually already have 1 or 2 psychic types in your team (Hypno & Kadabra).

Actually toxic might be a very useful move on Haunter that I've seen run on Dugtrio to deal with wrapping DNite. The advantage over Dugtrio is that Haunter not only outspeeds Nite but also receives no damage from Wrap and Hyper Beam. It's just a theory since I haven't used it personally or seen it in practice but on paper it seems sound.

*-59% chance to ohko in machamps case but bring haunter to 93.5%hp or less and you're good

Last edited:
Reactions: BP

[OVERVIEW]

While Gengar is the better ghost,Haunter has a pretty good special stat and it's quite fast for UU.
Not really, the tier revolves around base 100 speed thanks to Tenta, so Haunter isn't quite cutting it. Also is it normal for overviews to be this sparse? I certainly wouldn't write one like this, but I do analyses on a different site so idk if it's a different standard here
name:Hypnosisnattack
Ew
move 1:Hypnosis
move 2:Psychic
move 3:Thunderbolt
move 4:Explosion

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

The set name explains pretty much what Haunter is going to do (destroy things and put them to sleep if you are not slower).While it doesn't have the biggest movepool (that award goes to Mew) it's still has enough moves to make use of.Hypnosis is a very good move because it puts the enemy to sleep meaning it will wake up probably after 1 or 7 turns and in these 7 turns you have a lot of time to setup but in Haunter's case it's to attack with it's 115 special stat (or defend as well).Psychic is a move that should be on any pokemon that has access to it (because we all know about the psychic typing in gen 1 right?) and while Haunter doesn't get the STAB bonus it still hits hard poison types like:Arbok,Weezing and Muk but Haunter needs to watch out for Earthquake from Arbok.Thunderbolt is a good move against flying types like:Pidgeot,Fearow,Farfetch'd and Dodrio and against water types like Seaking,Seadra and Blastoise.Explosion is there only if Haunter can't really do anything against the opponents pokemon for example or to explode on things that would 1 shot it.
I'll go one step further than LibertarianMaster and say that Psychic Haunter is absolute trash. You're already luring in Hypno and Kadabra, Psychic just means you won't be accomplishing anything when they do switch in. Not gonna lie, listing Psychic because "it's psychic" comes across as being rather inexperienced and lacking critical thought. Night Shade should be the only listed option because of its consistent damage output. You don't need to tell us what sleep does. As LibertarianMaster said, you mention a lot of pokemon that are simply irrelevant. In fact, the only one that was relevant was Dodrio, as everything else is either unviable or Mew.
Usage Tips
========

Hypnosis is very important since it's so good in gen 1 so Haunter needs to use it when it can use it for example it could use Hypnosis on ground types like Marowak and Dugtrio.Exploding randomly is not something good to do either since the opponent can switch into something like Onix which has high defenses and a rock typing to resist the explosion but same thing can be said about Graveler.In general i would say just use Psychic and Hypnosis and use Thunderbolt on things that are weak to it.
You're right in that Haunter needs to put stuff to sleep ASAP. However you don't mention the fact that it lures out Psychic types, especially if they're paralysed and it hasn't used sleep yet. Discouraging people from exploding is a poor idea in general, since it's one of Haunter's best assets, while its damaging attacks are rather mediocre. The best argument for preserving Haunter is to abuse its Wrap immunity
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Night Shade is a pretty good move because we all know pokemon in the tier don't really have the hp that other pokemon do have in the higher tiers (well only OU and UBERS for gen 1 at least).Mega Drain is also a pretty good attack but it doesn't quite 1 shot ground types and not even Graveler and if it doesn't Graveler will just 1 shot you with Earthquake.Bide can be used if you wanted to defend for some reason,Confuse Ray could be used to confuse your opponents but it's still kinda risky since who knows if the opponent would actually hit themselves and if not you are kinda dead.Dream Eater is a decent move if you have Hypnosis on Haunter but Psychic is more useful since the opponent doesn't have to be asleep.Toxic works for a defensive set too but for an offensive set it's not very good since you want to attack mainly.
Psychic goes here, being notable for inflicting Spec drops and hitting Electrics and Dugtrio neutrally. Bide should never be mentioned and nor should Dream Eater as neither move will ever be useful. I'd also argue against including Toxic as well- in general it's a terrible move and its best use case (shutting down Wrap) is quite redundant since Haunter's immune to Wrap anyway. Then again, I suppose it makes sense for if you whiff on punishing Dnite for setting up
Checks and Counters
===================

Graveler,Nidoking,Marowak and Dugtrio 1 shot Haunter with Earthquake.

Charizard is a decent choice to at least check Haunter since it's faster and has access to earthquake.

Onix and Blastoise are let's say decent checks to Haunter but Blastoise is a 2 shot with Thunderbolt and Onix is also a 2 shot with Psychic.

Moltres and Articuno are also pretty good checks because of Haunter not being able to 1 shot or even 2 shot them because of their high special stats,they 2 shot Haunter with either Fire Blast or Blizzard.
I see one pokemon listed here that I consider a decent check (Dugtrio). Zard is borderline, both in terms of viability and whether you can call it a check or not, given its weakness to Tbolt. Everything else is either not a check (MoltCuno) or not viable (everything else).

To me C&C would go like this:
Hypno + Kadabra (easily the most prominent Haunt checks)
Dug, maybe Sandslash?
Electrics (Buzz is clearly better than Raichu here)

Sorry, I've been really blunt. It's not my intention to belittle or anything like that, it's good that you're doing this, but uh yeah there's a bunch of stuff to improve in this analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)