UU Team Rating Competition - Finals [Won by esche]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Hosts: Cynde | Sun
Welcome to the latest edition of the Team Rater Competition! The tier this time around will be SM UU. For each round we'll post a team, and participants will have one week to complete a rate of said team. When the round is over, the participants who submitted the best rates will move onto the next round. If you are eliminated and want to receive feedback on your rate, the hosts will be more than happy to provide that upon request. Each round will last one week. Failure to rate the team within the one week time period will result in disqualification unless you're able to give us a valid reason. Please only sign up if you can commit to rating one team every week for the next month. If you're currently involved in or are looking to start rating UU teams, I highly encourage you to participate as this promises to be a great learning experience. Here's to a fun and competitive tournament!

Important notes:
  • Shoutouts in the room intro of the RMT room and in RMT news
  • The top rates from each round in addition to the rates in the final two rounds will count towards the Team Rater badge
  • The winner will be awarded voice status in the RMT room on PS if they have shown an interest in getting involved.
  • Each round will last one week. Failure to rate the team within the one week time period will result in disqualification unless you're able to give us a valid reason. Please only sign up if you can commit to rating one team every week for the next month.
  • If you are eliminated and would like some feedback on your rate and how you can improve going forward, feel free to ask us.
  • At the end of each round, we will announce the best rate from that round and a quick overview of what we liked in the rates submitted.
Deadline will be January 27th 11:59 PM GMT-5

PM your rate to Sun and Cynde

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This is the team we have chosen for this final round!

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Recover

I started to build around this core, reuniclus appreciate Krookodile's ability to shut down cm latias and doublade that naturally will stop it to sweep due the lack of shadow ball on it's moveset, krookodile also being useful to check alolan muk which walls completely reuniclus with it's high special bulk, Superpower specifically hits Hydreigon which is always useful. at last, i want to mention that scarf krooko is also really cool because it checks mega beedrill being able to pursuit/outspeed him easily.

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Whirlpool
- Protect
- Perish Song
- Play Rough

The team was really weak to serperior and hydreigon, so i added defensive perish trapper azumarill, i found this set really cool in this build because it can trap many things such as taunt-less Gliscor, Serperior, alomomola, tentacruel(if it lacks poison coverage ofc).

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Toxic

The team still needed a rock setter, so i added aggron mega which also gives me an azumarill switch in, also, mega aggron's typing is really cool to check latias which can handle my defensive Azumarill with psychic moves. fire punch obv is here to catch all those sd scizors around which can be dangerous for my reuniclus.

Salazzle @ Firium Z
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 88 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Toxic

At last, the team still needed to put some pressure to more stall builds/ balance teams, and i needed an hazard remover as well, so i added firium salazzle and defog toxic gliscor, i opted for firium over the classic poisonium on salazzle especially because the team lacks solid ways to handle opposite gliscors. Gliscor's typing in my team is really great which gives me a solid ground immunity and a great alolan muk switch in as well as a status absorber for my aggron, salazzle and reuniclus(which hates yellow magic).

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
woo we have a winner! congrats esche!! proud of u for winning it bud. ur actually rly great at rating, i hope u stick with it because u'd do well.
(Threats & Issues // Fixes & Benefits):

To preface this, the provided team has an explicit and comprehensible structure as well as an incorporated strategy that is built around well. Therefore, I don't think many changes are necessary at all here but in fact could be disadvantageous to the team, possibly taking away from its essence and even derailing the teams purpose. Anyway, I made a few simple fixes that help with its match-up versus some defining threats and further the teams capacity to respond to recent metagame trends.
  • Opposing Gliscor
    can give this team a fair amount of trouble. Stealth Rock and Toxic variants can be used as set up fodder by Reuniclus but the concern here lies with Taunt and Swords Dance variants. Avalanche on Aggron-M over Toxic can help to alleviate this issue to some degree, although careful execution is recommended since there is quite a bit of pressure on Aggron-M to keep a multitude of threats in check. Latias, Azumarill, Altaria-M, Beedrill-M, SD Scizor and now SD Gliscor too are all supposed to be handled by Aggron-M. I had considered to incorporate a WishPass compenent on the team (Sylveon>Azumarill) for that reason, which then, however, necessitates changes to fix other weaknesses (most notably Serperior, making me opt for Crobat over Salazzle and subsequently Marowak-A over Gliscor to compensate for the loss of a wallbreaker and for the hindered pivotality against Scizor), but these turned out to alter the dynamic of the team quite significantly, which is why I am not going to present them here in depth. Another minimal change I carried out is the shift of 36 EVs from special defense to attack on Aggron-M, which ensure the OHKO with Heavy Slam on Belly Drum Azumarillafter Stealth Rock and Sitrus Berry recovery, and 8 EVs from special defense to speed that allow it to creep oppossing Sap Sipper Azumarill.

• Anyways, moving on! Unfortunately, not even Psyshock lets Reuniclus beat the Subsitute + Protect Suicune variant, which is by far its most used set. The team has to be very careful to keep Azumarill healthy for a late game Perish Song versus it. In fact, an early burn turns out to have a devastating impact in that match-up! The fast Toxic on Gliscor (which could easily be subsituted by Knock Off as well, granting some more opportunity to lure opposing Gliscor, depredating them of their passive recovery) is a great asset versus unsuspecting Suicune of that sort, but it is not a reliable countermeasure to a Suicune that is already protected by a Subsitute. Rest over Play Rough on Azumarill makes any attempt of that set to sweep futile. The loss of Play Rough isn't all that concerning here, considering that it does pityful damage to anything but Hydreigon anyway (not like Hydreigon will be able to break through zumarill with Rest anytime soon). Just be careful to not burn the Perish Song PP all too fast!

• Lastly (yes, already!), I recommend opting for only 19 speed IVs on Reuniclus to outspeed Marowak-A under Trick Room, a playstyle that has picked up some popularity lately, and one that this team has to play around very carefully. Alternatively, a change that helps a ton versus fat builds, stall in particular, is using Psychic over Psyshock with a Life Orb equipped instead of Leftovers. Combined with a bit of speed investment (around 52 will suffice) it easily outpaces and achieves the 2HKO on Quagsire. From testing I can report that this set actually obliterates most stall builds and even has a decent amount of applications outside of pressuring stall, for example dealing much greater chunks of damage to Gliscor and Aerodactyl-M, as well as incoming steel types such as Doublade, which takes about 25% from LO Psychic. I thought of this change in light of the recent prominence of Pursuit Aerodactyl-M on stall builds, which stops all and any attempts of NP Salazzle to break through cold. This change, however, comes at the cost of sustainability by Leftovers, which weakens Reuniclus defensive capabilities. Considering that the team has an array of utilities versus stall in Perish Trap Azumarill, Toxic/Knock Off Gliscor as a reliable pivot, HP Grass Salazzle and CM Reuniclus already, I held off on making that last change. It remains an option that I felt was worth mentioning though.
Overview & Conclusion
  • Avalanche over Toxic (and a slight EV spread edit) on Mega Aggron
  • Rest over Play Rough on Azumarill

(and possibly Knock Off over Toxic on Gliscor

)
  • Reduction from 31 to 19 speed IVs on Reuniclus

to improve the Trick Room match-up
    (as well as a feasible alternative take on the set with Psychic and Life Orb)
So yeah, not many changes necessary here at all. SD Gliscor remains the teams greatest nemesis, but with Avalanche on Aggron-M, in addition to the already present Inferno Overdrive on Salazzle as a lure, it is definitely managable. I actually played around with Counter (and some defense investment) on the Gliscor, which can deal with SD Facade and Knock Off variants and which has had some fun applications outside of that, but is, as I found, generally inferior to Knock Off or Toxic.

Overall, real fun competition, thanks to Cynde and Sun for hosting, and I hope to be seeing you all around in the RMT section! Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)