ORAS LC Venom of the Red Lotus [ORAS LC team feat. Skrelp & frens] (Peaked #29)

────────────────────────── • ────────────────────────

Hey guys, Triability here coming at 'chu with a cool little LC RMT featuring Skrelp and frens. Skrelp was a really cool (and dangerous) new gift to the land of LC from ORAS, giving it a scary ability known as Adaptability. This is basically my attempt at teambuilding around Adaptability Skrelp.
Drifloon and Bunnelby are two sweepers that I've chosen for my team. They both clean up late-game ridiculously well and can also provide momentum mid-game as well. The team's defensive backbone is Spritzee and Ferroseed, which both check their respective threats and synergize effectively.
Finally, Pawniard is the glue for the team. Pawn's knock off support is unprecedented for Bunnelby and Skrelp, turning 2HKOs into OHKOs. I've chosen to name the team after one of my favourite shows, Avatar.
(props if you got the reference)

• • • • • • • •
Before we get started, here's some proof of my peak. While I don't feel the ladder means anything (especially LC's crappy ladder), it definitely is a statement towards the team's effectiveness.

────────────────────────── • ────────────────────────

As I've mentioned, this team was built around Skrelp, so he was the first addition to the team.

Next up, I added Ferroseed for the must-have stealth rock support, and Spritzee, which basically checks every fighting type in LC (among with other physical attackers). Spritzee also gave wish support which was greatly appreciated by Skrelp and Ferroseed.

Pawniard was added because of his unprecedented Knock Off support as well as being able to check fletchinder and other flying spam. He serves as the glue of the team.

Finally, Drifloon was added because my team needed a switch-in to EQ's and also because of it's ability to spinblock, preserving ferro's rocks and skrelp's toxic spikes. Bunnelby was also added because of his RIDICULOUS ability to just clean-up late game, being able to 2HKO most of the meta. (being my favourite LC mon might have had something to do with it too)

• • • • • • • • • •

• • • • • • • • •• • ••

Deathstare

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
Level: 5
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 108 Def / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Bullet Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Ah, ferroseed, you absolute monster. This guy checks a plethora of special attackers in LC, most notably Abra, Gastly, Chinchou, and many more. He also checks any sort of normal spam (even bunny cannot 2HKO with E.Q). Apart from checking multitudes of threats to the team, Ferro sets up rocks, cripples fast attackers, steals life from fat mons, you name it. Bullet seed is chosen over other STAB options because of LC rolls. It stops stuff like lead Onix in its tracks. There isn't much more to say about this set, as it is fairly standard, but it does it's job well and is an essential part of my team.
|SYNERGY|
-
-

─────────────────────────── • ───────────────────────────

Cotton|Cocaine

Spritzee (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

Up next is Spritzee. Sprit is the premier defensive wall of my team. She stops basically every fighting type, along with other physical mons such as Elekid and Drilbur. Furthermore, her wish support is enormously appreciated by both Skrelp AND Ferro, prolonging both of their lives. Sprit also serves as a cleric for my team, but I haven't used aromatherapy in like.. forever, so I might want to something among the likes of Calm Mind. Apart from that, there isn't much to say as this is a fairly standard set, but it does it's job effectively just like Ferro. Protect also allows me to stall out Tailwind turns as, when paired with a strong fire type, it can wreck through my team.
|SYNERGY|
-
-

Red|Lotus

Skrelp @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 40 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpA / 116 SpD / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Hidden Power [Psychic]

Here he is, the main man himself; Skrelp. Skrelp fulfils so many rolls on this team it's not even funny. He lays toxic spikes to support bunny and drifloon cleaning up, counters NP gunk, eats up super effective hits from stuff like Drilbur and Abra, and OHKOs so many offensive threats. I've gone with a more defensive set because Skrelp already has enough special attack. Scald and Sludge Bomb are the obligatory STABs boosted by Adaptability. Toxic Spikes might be a weird choice but it supports my team well, especially with loon in the back spinblocking, and bunny really appreciating the poison chip damage, turning 2HKOs into OHKOs (along with Ferro's SR). It's also my team's only switch-in to fire spam. Skrelp was originally what this team was built around, and even though Bunny and Loon might have came through more often, he still puts in work every game and is a vital member of the team.

|SYNERGY|
-

-

Wreck|Shop

wreck|shop (Bunnelby) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
Happiness: 0
EVs: 228 Atk / 60 SpD / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Wild Charge

Ah, Bunnelby. Bunny has been on 90% of my teams, which might seem predictable and repetitive especially considering bunny isn't ranked S or even A, but that doesn't stop it from being my favourite mon in LC. This thing just cleans up late-game so well, when stuff has been weakened. Ferroseed, Skrelp, and Pawniard all help with weakening things, by doing chip damage and knocking off items respectively. It can also live priority such as mach punch from timbrur and acro from fletch at full, but I wouldn't risk that unless absolutely necessary. As for the set, it's a standard choice scarf set;however, I might consider running Quick Attack over Wild Charge because I've lost late games because of Torchic's Speed Boost and Fletchinder's Tailwind. Frustration is used over Return for the stray Ditto.

|SYNERGY|
-

Surprise|Mf

upload_2015-2-13_16-13-10.png

Drifloon @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 200 SpA / 16 SpD / 200 Spe
Mild Nature
- Endure
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Acrobatics

Drifloon is the first set-up sweeper and second late game cleaner on my team. Basically, when the other team's fletch, carvanha, pawniard, etc. have been dealt with, Drifloon comes in and sweeps. Some people might think this set is gimmicky, but it is completely viable just because of the sheer amount of things it can set-up on. What makes drifloon so good is it's immunity to many priority moves, notably Fake Out and Mach Punch. Another thing that makes it so good is the amount of Knock Off spam present in LC; almost everything has a super effective move to hit it with. Thunderbolt might be a weird option but I use it for Vullaby. Skilled players always use Brave Bird with their vullaby, which basically leaves me with 0 damage vs them. With t-bolt, I force them to predict whether I go for Endure or Thunderbolt, which 2HKOs vullaby.
|SYNERGY|
(what even is synergy lol just hit endure and win)

-

-

-

-

-

E
ndgame

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 120 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Pawniard is the glue of the team, and the secondary set-up sweeper. Pawniard's Knock Off support is what this team could not function without; it aids both Skrelp and Bunnelby incredibly. Apart from that, Pawniard also offers the team a much-needed fletch check, as well as an even more needed strong priority. Like Skrelp, Pawniard fulfils many roles for the team, and it does them all very effectively. As for the EV spread, it is fairly standard. Max speed to outspeed as many things as possible, enough Attack to secure 2HKOs and the rest in bulk. While bunnelby, skrelp, and drifloon might take the credit for most of the wins, Pawniard's role is the most vital one for the team. he the real mvp

|SYNERGY|
-

-
-

• oml gunk is the only reason why I run HP psychic on Skrelp. nasty plot/mixed gunk both run through my team so keep Skrelp alive if you see one.

• Shell Smashers can threaten my team due to lack of priority, especially if Ferroseed is low on health. They can normally be dealt with but sometimes situations can get out of hand.

Alright, so this is the conclusion of one of my favourite teams to use in ORAS LC, featuring some of my favourite mons. This team has gotten me some decent success on the ladder and in tours, so I would like to leave it here for you as a present. Thanks for reading. If you have any improvements please feel free to post them. <3

surprise|mf (Drifloon) @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 200 SpA / 16 SpD / 200 Spe
Mild Nature
- Endure
- Baton Pass
- Shadow Ball
- Acrobatics

endgame (Pawniard) @ Eviolite
EVs: 156 Atk / 120 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

red|lotus (Skrelp) @ Eviolite
EVs: 40 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpA / 116 SpD / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Hidden Power [Psychic]

wreck|shop (Bunnelby) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
Happiness: 0
EVs: 228 Atk / 60 SpD / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Wild Charge

deathstare (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 108 Def / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Bullet Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

cotton|cocaine (Spritzee) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

Attachments

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This team looks really cool, and while I don't play enough for a full rate, why does drifloon have 200 speed? An uninvested drifloon ought to outspeed scarf Mienfoo (which is like the fastest you're gonna get) after the unburden boost, and even if you want to be fast before the boost you don't need that much for vullaby. Why not put most of that into bulk so you can live one non-SE move or something?

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi there, Triability!

This is an awesome team you've put together here, and I really like the format you used for this RMT. Weakness Policy Drifloon is really fun as well. There isn't much for me to suggest here, but I do have a few recommendations that should enhance the performance of the team, and I'll explain them. The main thing I feel is a problem for this team is that there's nothing that really stops opposing Ferroseed from setting up hazards and spreading status, so it would be a constant annoyance.

Skrelp @ Eviolite
EVs: 40 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpA / 116 SpD / 40 Spe -> 36 HP / 196 Def / 120 SpA / 116 SpD / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb -> Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes
- Hidden Power [Psychic] -> Hidden Power [Fire]

Opposing Ferroseed gets practically free turns against Spritzee and Skrelp, which can be a big problem since your team has no means of hazard removal. I recommend replacing HP Psychic with HP Fire and switching to the above EV spread to account for the IV changes. With HP Fire and these EVs, everything fits perfectly and nothing is wasted. You might wonder why I'm taking away Skrelp's means of destroying Croagunk, but if you look at your team, that hole is already covered on all fronts. Bunnelby beats the physical version (the one that may carry Sucker Punch) with Earthquake, and the versions that carry Vacuum Wave are beaten rather easily by Drifloon. It will not run both priority moves because it's missing something too important if it does. Since Croagunk is already accounted for by teammates no matter which priority option it carries, you can now better handle the bigger problem for your team, which is dual hazard Ferroseed. It's not an uncommon switch-in to Skrelp, as it walls both of its STABs, so Skrelp functions decently as a lure as well.

In addition, I recommend running Sludge Wave over Sludge Bomb for a few reasons. Firstly, the bit of added power is more worth it than the increased poison chance, especially since you're running Toxic Spikes to inflict poison anyway. Secondly, although it's not the most common Pokemon in the metagame (it is seeing moderate use), being able to hit Chespin is important. Bulk Up Chespin in particular can be a problem for this team if it is able to get going. Even though Chespin won't appreciate risking the Scald burn, it's not guaranteed for you. Sludge Bomb is blocked by Chespin's Bulletproof ability, while Sludge Wave guarantees that you can remove it without problems.

Everything else appears to be fine if you want to keep all your team members the same, though there are a few minor things you might consider changing. Running both Toxic Spikes on Skrelp and Thunder Wave on Ferroseed can cause problems for you at times, because you may end up poisoning something that you want to paralyze, and vice versa. With that in consideration (it's up to you), you might think about either running Hydro Pump over Toxic Spikes on Skrelp for a super-hard neutral hit against a ton of the metagame and can really come in handy in tandem with Ferroseed's Thunder Wave. On the other hand, running Spikes over Thunder Wave on Ferroseed can soften foes up more quickly than Toxic Spikes and therefore help Bunnelby get more KOs. Swords Dance Fletchling with Overheat can also pose a threat to this team, but it can be played around if you're careful. Just be careful when killing something with Moonblast if Pawniard is in KO range of Overheat.

This concludes my rate! I hope you find my suggestions helpful and I wish you continued success with your team!

This team looks really cool, and while I don't play enough for a full rate, why does drifloon have 200 speed? An uninvested drifloon ought to outspeed scarf Mienfoo (which is like the fastest you're gonna get) after the unburden boost, and even if you want to be fast before the boost you don't need that much for vullaby. Why not put most of that into bulk so you can live one non-SE move or something?
He wants to hit 16 Speed before Unburden activates. Bulk isn't super necessary if you're just going to Endure a Knock Off or something. It really only needs 196 EVs to hit 16 Speed unless HP Fighting is used, but he wouldn't have enough EVs left for another stat point anywhere if he only used what was necessary, making it irrelevant where the unneeded EVs are invested.

Hi there, Triability!

This is an awesome team you've put together here, and I really like the format you used for this RMT. Weakness Policy Drifloon is really fun as well. There isn't much for me to suggest here, but I do have a few recommendations that should enhance the performance of the team, and I'll explain them. The main thing I feel is a problem for this team is that there's nothing that really stops opposing Ferroseed from setting up hazards and spreading status, so it would be a constant annoyance.

Skrelp @ Eviolite
EVs: 40 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpA / 116 SpD / 40 Spe -> 36 HP / 196 Def / 120 SpA / 116 SpD / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb -> Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes
- Hidden Power [Psychic] -> Hidden Power [Fire]

Opposing Ferroseed gets practically free turns against Spritzee and Skrelp, which can be a big problem since your team has no means of hazard removal. I recommend replacing HP Psychic with HP Fire and switching to the above EV spread to account for the IV changes. With HP Fire and these EVs, everything fits perfectly and nothing is wasted. You might wonder why I'm taking away Skrelp's means of destroying Croagunk, but if you look at your team, that hole is already covered on all fronts. Bunnelby beats the physical version (the one that may carry Sucker Punch) with Earthquake, and the versions that carry Vacuum Wave are beaten rather easily by Drifloon. It will not run both priority moves because it's missing something too important if it does. Since Croagunk is already accounted for by teammates no matter which priority option it carries, you can now better handle the bigger problem for your team, which is dual hazard Ferroseed. It's not an uncommon switch-in to Skrelp, as it walls both of its STABs, so Skrelp functions decently as a lure as well.

In addition, I recommend running Sludge Wave over Sludge Bomb for a few reasons. Firstly, the bit of added power is more worth it than the increased poison chance, especially since you're running Toxic Spikes to inflict poison anyway. Secondly, although it's not the most common Pokemon in the metagame (it is seeing moderate use), being able to hit Chespin is important. Bulk Up Chespin in particular can be a problem for this team if it is able to get going. Even though Chespin won't appreciate risking the Scald burn, it's not guaranteed for you. Sludge Bomb is blocked by Chespin's Bulletproof ability, while Sludge Wave guarantees that you can remove it without problems.

Everything else appears to be fine if you want to keep all your team members the same, though there are a few minor things you might consider changing. Running both Toxic Spikes on Skrelp and Thunder Wave on Ferroseed can cause problems for you at times, because you may end up poisoning something that you want to paralyze, and vice versa. With that in consideration (it's up to you), you might think about either running Hydro Pump over Toxic Spikes on Skrelp for a super-hard neutral hit against a ton of the metagame and can really come in handy in tandem with Ferroseed's Thunder Wave. On the other hand, running Spikes over Thunder Wave on Ferroseed can soften foes up more quickly than Toxic Spikes and therefore help Bunnelby get more KOs. Swords Dance Fletchling with Overheat can also pose a threat to this team, but it can be played around if you're careful. Just be careful when killing something with Moonblast if Pawniard is in KO range of Overheat.

This concludes my rate! I hope you find my suggestions helpful and I wish you continued success with your team!

He wants to hit 16 Speed before Unburden activates. Bulk isn't super necessary if you're just going to Endure a Knock Off or something. It really only needs 196 EVs to hit 16 Speed unless HP Fighting is used, but he wouldn't have enough EVs left for another stat point anywhere if he only used what was necessary, making it irrelevant where the unneeded EVs are invested.
Hi. goddess briyella, thanks for the rate!! as for the changes, thanks for noticing the EV mistake, ill correct that. Regarding the change to HP fire, i would have to agree as well. while ferroseed hasnt given me much trouble because pawniard can just set up on it, and if a fighting type comes in spritzee can heal off the paralysis. however, i realized that i was worrying about croagunk too much. maybe its because the great demon almost swept me with a NP shadow ball set. however, i do now realize that both drifloon and bunnelby can come in and kill the respective gunk sets, so ty for pointing that out. as for the issue between poison and paralysis clashing, i have to say that i havent faced it so far, probably because most the things i want to paralyze are immune to toxic spikes (gast
y,abra,etc)

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi. goddess briyella, thanks for the rate!! as for the changes, thanks for noticing the EV mistake, ill correct that. Regarding the change to HP fire, i would have to agree as well. while ferroseed hasnt given me much trouble because pawniard can just set up on it, and if a fighting type comes in spritzee can heal off the paralysis. however, i realized that i was worrying about croagunk too much. maybe its because the great demon almost swept me with a NP shadow ball set. however, i do now realize that both drifloon and bunnelby can come in and kill the respective gunk sets, so ty for pointing that out. as for the issue between poison and paralysis clashing, i have to say that i havent faced it so far, probably because most the things i want to paralyze are immune to toxic spikes (gast
y,abra,etc)
Certainly. Remember that Toxic Spikes still statuses Abra even if it doesn't damage it, though, so it will become immune to paralysis.

Hi Triability, congrats on this great team and the ladder peak, despite the negative feedback the PS ladders some, especially LC are improving and reaching top 50 isn't as easy as it was in gen 5 or in earlier xy metas.

To start off for reference, eviolites 1.5 boost is best utilized with even numbers for defenses, and ferroseed has 17/19, which to my knowledge provides nothing better on the special side really. Also I'd suggest knock off over leech seed, as it allows you to weaken ponyta/ferroseeds/fighters for bunnelby and drifloon. Here are more efficient evs and the slashing for knock off.

EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 108 Def / 148 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed / Knock Off
- Bullet Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

An alternate choice to provide spinning for your team and an answer to croagunk would be drilbur.

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

You lose a fletchling check but spritzee

As briyella said for skrelp it should go hp fire>hp psychic but evs need to be fixed as well as here. Same as before hits eviolite numbers and has 23 hp for less stealth rock damage

red|lotus (Skrelp) @ Eviolite
EVs: 116 HP / 116 Def / 120 SpA / 116 SpD / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Hidden Power [Fire]

For pawniard once again just readjusted evs no real changes bar brick break>swords dance to be a pawn check and hurt ferro.

endgame (Pawniard) @ Eviolite
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / Brick Break
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Now these last two changes ate the most controversial and take them with a grain of salt.

As an alternative mon for you to test, snubbull can go over spritzee to provide heal bell support, thunder-wave and strong play rough combined with earthquake or thief.

Snubbull @ Berry Juice
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Def / 196 SpD
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake / Thief
- Heal Bell / Thief
- Thunder Wave

Lastly for drifloon there are two possible changes.

Sucker punch over Thunderbolt as a means of hurting fletchlings attempting to ruin your sweep. Though +2 sucker punch only 2HKOs. Sub bj calm mind is imo a superior set but if you run it you take away a core part of the reason you built this team.

Drifloon @ Berry Juice
EVs: 116 HP / 184 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Recycle / Substitute

OR

Drifloon @ Berry Juice
EVs: 196 Atk / 116 SpA / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- Acrobatics
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Destiny Bond

Are possible sets, anyway gl.

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, you wanted me to rate this so I'mma give it a 7/10. Sorry I couldn't get to it today.

I'm looking at your team, and the thing is, you don't exactly need a spin blocker. In fact having a ghost only makes you more Pawn weak then you were to begin with. Due to how weak you are to Pawn, I'd suggest adding Timburr over Drifloon. Bulk Up Timburr gives you a solid check to Pawniard, some priority, a replacement wincon and a secondary way to punish Shell Smashers. Notably, it also isn't screwed over by Status letting it switch into Ferro semi comfortably. Croagunk can often times lose to 24/14/14 bulk Timburr as well. Fletchling sometimes fails to revenge you too. Timburr can check (and sorta counter) Drilbur nicely as well, though should not be relied on.
*insert nickname here (Timburr) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 116 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Drilbur is notably a massive threat to you as well. The removal of Floon worsens this slightly, so I feel this needs to be fixed. Switching Ferroseed to Impish and then switching Leech Seed to Knock Off will help here. This is inadequate, so switching Ferro to the EVs: 164 HP / 108 Def / 228 SpD should help a tad. Drilbur will still be a major pain, but can be played around with your assets.
EVs: 164 HP / 108 Def / 228 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Bullet Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

My last comments are on Bunny and Pawn; give Bunny 52 EVs in HP over Special Defense as this actually affects a stat increase and lets it switch in more times. Lastly, considering Brick Break on Pawn is not a bad idea at all, though shouldn't be needed with Timburr. Good luck, hope I helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)