VGC 2018 Analysis Discussion

This thread will be primarily for discussion of making a change to an uploaded analysis, making a case for a Pokemon to have an analysis, and possibly giving a Pokemon a revamp. You may also ask questions about an analysis here. This may include the following:
  • Possibly adding or updating a set
  • Changing or adding slashes to moves
  • Revamping an analysis to fit the metagame more
As long as what you're going to say entails something about the analysis themselves, you should probably post here!

When making a case for a Pokemon that's not listed in the reservations thread, make sure that it's: a) not horrible; b) isn't actually outclassed c) actually has a decent enough use. There will be times that we miss on a Pokemon in the reservations thread. If you think a Pokemon is worth it, post here! But make sure to have some backing to your claims.

Note: This is not the thread for reserving analyses! Go to this thread instead. Also, talks about analyses still being written up should go to their respective threads (If you're making a suggestion for Gardevoir and it's still being written up, post in its thread)!

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
I would like to make a case for Charjabug to have an analysis. While this Pokemon isn't seen in much high-level play, I firmly believe it has a niche: bulky Battery support, particularly on Rain teams.

While this ability does in part shoehorn one into mainly using special attackers on their teams, Charja can be quite helpful in punching through specially-based walls. This is not to mention that it has, if I may use the term, 'hella swole bulk' with Eviolite attached. My personal favorite is the following set:

Charjabug @ Eviolite
Ability: Battery
Level: 50
EVs: 188 HP / 124 Def / 196 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bug Bite
- String Shot
- Rain Dance
- Protect

This is meant to just stay on the battlefield on Rain teams, and provide the most passive support it can. Rain Dance is partially to fill a remaining moveslot, but there are several moves this little bug can run. Volt Switch, Thunder Wave and Electroweb are all viable options, but I prefer the guaranteed Speed reduction of String Shot myself. Bug Bite is to deal with the variety of pinch/Sitrus berries that see quite a bit of use. The EVs have one lower Defense than Special Defense, so as to ward of Porygon2.

Now, a set is nothing without calculations. Charja isn't meant to (directly) KO the opposition, and I can't seem to find Battery on the PS! calculator, so defensive calculations will have to suffice.

252+ Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 188 HP / 124 Def Eviolite Charjabug: 122-146 (78.2 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 188 HP / 124 Def Eviolite Charjabug in Rain: 60-72 (38.4 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 188 HP / 124 Def Eviolite Charjabug: 44-54 (28.2 - 34.6%) -- 3.9% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 188 HP / 124 Def Eviolite Charjabug: 102-120 (65.3 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

These are but a brief sample, but it should be fairly clear that it would be fairly difficult to OHKO the battery bug.

Honestly, the main reason I desire to do Charjabug is to give a little-recognized 'mon some notice, as well as to 'spread my wings' with an analysis that doesn't have as immediately high standards. To be frank, I don't want to mess up something important.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sorry, but there's zero chance I'm letting you write Charjabug. The analyses are meant to give an overview of Pokemon relevant to the metagame, particularly at such an early stage, and that's not at all a description of Charjabug. Don't be worried about not conforming to high analysis standards. If you make mistakes I, or another member of the QC team, will constructively let you know where you went wrong and you'll be on the road to self improvement. That said, even the best writers will miss things or make silly errors they can look back on and laugh about, but that's why writing analyses is a collective effort.

I just wanted to Ask.
Will Analyses be similar to VGC17 or will they be wildly different?

Edit: Sorry, just that I have a VGC17 Mindset at this point

I'll make a strategy for Dugtrio (Normal Form) whom you'll pick to do great in VGC.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 192 Atk / 164 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Reversal
- Sucker Punch

Dugtrio got a big buff in Gen 7.

Dugtrio got a big buff in Gen 7.
No, it didn't.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 192 Atk / 164 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Reversal
- Sucker Punch
The inclusion of Stealth Rock on the above moveset makes it clear you're an inexperienced player, given that the move is terrible in VGC. It's great that you're eagar to contribute, but please use the resources in the main VGC forum and play some more of the metagame before you make suggestions.

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
Why is Gigalith in reservation list? It's outclassed by Stakataka as Trick Room abuser and by Mega Tyranitar as Sand Stream user. Both Stakataka and Mega Tyranitar bulkier than Gigalith. Stakataka has lower Speed, can set Trick Room itself, has incredible Defense, good Special Defense and STAB Gyro Ball. Mega Tyranitar has sky-high Attack, very nice bulk, reliable setup move in Dragon Dance and can Pursuit trap many threats.

Last edited:
Why is Gigalith in reservation list? It's outclassed by Stakataka as Trick Room abuser and by Mega Tyranitar as Sand Stream user. Both Stakataka and Mega Tyranitar bulkier than Gigalith. Stakataka has lower Speed, can set Trick Room itself, has incredible Defense, good Special Defense and STAB Gyro Ball. Mega Tyranitar has sky-high Attack, very nice bulk, reliable setup move in Dragon Dance and can Pursuit trap many threats.
Its inclusion was mostly a carry-over from the viability rankings, which themselves were no doubt influenced by early usage stats being tainted by VGC 2017 teams. I don't think it's totally outclassed, but it's become very niche, making the argument that it doesn't deserve to be prioritized for an analysis reasonable. I'll remove it for the time being.

Worth noting as well that non-Mega Tyranitar is also viable, and that Pursuit doesn't see play in VGC. See Here.

Hey, just checked out the megagross analysis and I think that stomping tantrum is something worth mentioning as a good coverage option.

Last edited:
Hey, just checked out the megagross analysis and I think that stomping tantrum is something worth mentioning as a good coverage option.
Agreed. I'll go ahead and swap Hammer Arm with Stomping Tantrum, as the latter has largely replaced the former thanks to its improved coverage against common foes. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jashsmash

Braviary aficionado
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to nominate Mega-Scizor/Scizor for an analysis, as it has a lot of niche options such as feint and tailwind support, as well as a more offensive set with Choice Band or Life Orb if you don't want to waste your mega slot. It can serve as a really interesting alternative to some common steel types like Kartana and it's especially good on a rain or fantasty core team.

I'd like to nominate Mega-Scizor/Scizor for an analysis, as it has a lot of niche options such as feint and tailwind support, as well as a more offensive set with Choice Band or Life Orb if you don't want to waste your mega slot. It can serve as a really interesting alternative to some common steel types like Kartana and it's especially good on a rain or fantasty core team.
I've actually laddered with Mega Scizor a little, and to reasonable success. It obviously requires a lot of support, primarily in the form of in the form of Psychic Terrain removal and Fire-type checks, but I think it's a viable option. Not so sure about its non-mega variant, but the stats indicate a reasonable level of usage there as well.

Added.

I want to nominate Mega Manectric. It’s extremely viable, out speeds Tapu Koko, and has some coverage options that can make it useful it many situations. It does well on some Semi-Trick Room teams with Gothitelle, Incineroar, and other slowish mons including Tapu Fini. Also if it gets successfully nominated I’d like to reserve it. Thanks!

I want to nominate Mega Manectric. It’s extremely viable, out speeds Tapu Koko, and has some coverage options that can make it useful it many situations. It does well on some Semi-Trick Room teams with Gothitelle, Incineroar, and other slowish mons including Tapu Fini. Also if it gets successfully nominated I’d like to reserve it. Thanks!
Manectric is already being written. I have now noticed that it's not listed in the OP however, so I will correct that.

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
I think Raichu should be added in the reservation list. It's one of the most viable Lightning Rod user in the current meta. Raichu has a plenty of support options including Fake Out, Feint and Encore, has a decent Speed and can pivot out through Volt Switch

I think Raichu should be added in the reservation list. It's one of the most viable Lightning Rod user in the current meta. Raichu has a plenty of support options including Fake Out, Feint and Encore, has a decent Speed and can pivot out through Volt Switch
Don't really need much persuading. Added.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)