Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Eisenherz

επέκεινα της ουσίας
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Good VGC 2018 Z Kommo-o Teams?
If you're looking for inspiration for teams that make sense built around Kommo-o, I'd suggest to try out some QR Code teams that feature it. Go to https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/usum/search, select the Double Battle format and in Pokémon pick Kommo-o then click the Select button. The first team is built by Sejun Park (former world champion), probably a good starting point. You'll see some common themes, such as a Poison-type to handle the Tapus (usually Mega Gengar, Sejun is using Naganadel), Tapu Bulu is also a popular choice since it threatens Tapu Koko and Fini, both of which are big problems for Kommo-o. Redirection is very helpful as well for when you want to setup, and Fake Out too so you'll see a lot of that on these teams.
There's a wide variety of teams on there to try out in any case!

It's up to you, both are great resources. Pikalytics just added the PGL stats, which are the same as the ones you find in the second link. The PS stats of Pikalytics are taken from Showdown (the data is here: http://www.smogon.com/stats/2017-12/moveset/gen7vgc2018-1760.txt), but presented in a nice way.

Also, just a tip, if you want to do several posts in a row, you can edit the first post instead to add new stuff to it :P Otherwise it's a bit spammy in a thread.

If you're looking for inspiration for teams that make sense built around Kommo-o, I'd suggest to try out some QR Code teams that feature it. Go to https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/usum/search, select the Double Battle format and in Pokémon pick Kommo-o then click the Select button. The first team is built by Sejun Park (former world champion), probably a good starting point. You'll see some common themes, such as a Poison-type to handle the Tapus (usually Mega Gengar, Sejun is using Naganadel), Tapu Bulu is also a popular choice since it threatens Tapu Koko and Fini, both of which are big problems for Kommo-o. Redirection is very helpful as well for when you want to setup, and Fake Out too so you'll see a lot of that on these teams.
There's a wide variety of teams on there to try out in any case!

It's up to you, both are great resources. Pikalytics just added the PGL stats, which are the same as the ones you find in the second link. The PS stats of Pikalytics are taken from Showdown (the data is here: http://www.smogon.com/stats/2017-12/moveset/gen7vgc2018-1760.txt), but presented in a nice way.

Also, just a tip, if you want to do several posts in a row, you can edit the first post instead to add new stuff to it :P Otherwise it's a bit spammy in a thread.
gotcha, thanks!!

Anyone care to help me with a couple of sets?

1) I'm trying to make a Mixed Aegislash but I'm not sure on the EV spread. Here's what I've come up with so far:
Aegislash (M) @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpA / 156 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield
Thoughts?

2) I've been trying out a few Tyranitar sets for my sand team. In order of my opinion on the best ones:
Tyranitar (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 52 HP / 204 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Assurance
- Low Kick
- Protect

Tyranitar (M) @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 52 HP / 204 Atk / 4 Def / 28 SpD / 220 Spe
Serious Nature
- Rock Slide
- Assurance
- Low Kick
- Protect

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Assurance
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Main concerns are with Assurance or Rock Slide and the item choice. (I've also messed with the EV spread)
Thoughts?? (If you want context, here is the team. http://pokepast.es/0718cb5994eea4d0)

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Anyone care to help me with a couple of sets?

1) I'm trying to make a Mixed Aegislash but I'm not sure on the EV spread. Here's what I've come up with so far:
Aegislash (M) @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpA / 156 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield
Thoughts?
Could you explain what the EVs are for? What is that SpD investment trying to survive?

Could you explain what the EVs are for? What is that SpD investment trying to survive?
If you are referring to the Aegislash, its mainly for Charizard Y, ensuring even a overheat cant OHKO. Also it makes Fini's scalds and muddy waters 3HKOS.
I can sacrifice a little for ATK (Sacred Sword) but I'm not sure how much ATK investment I need or if I should bother with Atk investments at all.

I'm not too sure how seriously I should be taking this, but if any of you follow Wolfey Glicke on Twitter, you may have seen his tweets recently about his Mega Steelix team going 12-0.

Here's one of his tweets being quoted by someone else warning about a Chansey that supposedly is on the team as well:
My first (and current reaction) to all of this is: WTF? Mega Steelix seems like such a niche choice in the current meta and I'm trying to wrap my head around how it can be successful. I guess its Steel typing makes dealing with the Tapu somewhat easier... and I can't help but think Chansey has a role in its success too.

There's that, and I also don't even know if I should be taking his tweets too seriously. I definitely wouldn't start mimicking his team because the meta can adapt to it (or maybe not), but that whole fiasco has definitely inspired me to be think more outside the box than I currently do with regards to team building.

Last edited:
Typical hail team combos?
Hail teams are unreliable in this metagame, as there is so many weather Pokémon such as Politoed, Pelipper, Tyranitar and Charizard, so you can't use Aurora Veil at all. Also, the "hail" sweepers that are in the metagame are really poor (like Sandslash), and there are better weather sweepers such as Excadrill or Ludicolo.

The only viable option that I see for a "hail" team is to not be a "hail team" and rather be an "Aurora Veil" team. I built the other day a team with Ninetales-Alola, the team is not really good but it is fun to use. The main goal for the team is to set up an Aurora Veil and set-up with your other Pokémon, such as Volcarona or Mega Gyarados (which is a monster).

I hope you like the team, but honestly, I would use sand or rain over hail (having in mind a weather-based team)

Does anyone recall a Smogon VGC tournament a few years back where they used multiple past VGC formats, dating as far back as 2006 (Journey Across America)? Did anyone here play in it? I'd like to find some info about what teams were successful.

When Blaziken Mega evolves it gets Speed Boost, but it’s not as fast as most sweepers so should i give it protect?

My Blaziken:
Blaziken ♀Blazikenite
Nature: Adamant
252 atk 252 speed 6 HP
Moves:
- Blaze Kick
- Skyuppercut
- Thunder Punch
- Shadow Claw

Coverage or speed?

When Blaziken Mega evolves it gets Speed Boost, but it’s not as fast as most sweepers so should i give it protect?

My Blaziken:
Blaziken ♀Blazikenite
Nature: Adamant
252 atk 252 speed 6 HP
Moves:
- Blaze Kick
- Skyuppercut
- Thunder Punch
- Shadow Claw

Coverage or speed?
Mega Blaziken should be using Protect 100% of the time. It's a staple of most VGC sets in allowing for outmaneuvering your opponent, but especially so for Blaziken due to its frailty and need to safely accumulate boosts. Deviation should rarely occur from the set listed on the dex currently: Click.

Mega Blaziken should be using Protect 100% of the time. It's a staple of most VGC sets in allowing for outmaneuvering your opponent, but especially so for Blaziken due to its frailty and need to safely accumulate boosts. Deviation should rarely occur from the set listed on the dex currently: Click.[/QUOTES
Thanks! This is very helpful.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey so I was trawling PGL and came across something interesting:

My question is as follows: Why is it that roughly 80% of Ferrothorn are Brave in both the BSD and VGC formats on cart, especially considering that the suggested spread on the Smogon dex has a Relaxed nature? I understand the prevalence of the Choice Band set, but that only accounts for about 40-50% of the usage in both formats so is there a take on the standard Leech Seed tank build with a Brave nature that I'm unaware of? If so, what's the spread?

On a side note, can someone explain to me why the Choice Band set is overshadowing the standard tank set so much in the current meta? What is making CB Ferrothorn so popular at the moment?

Hey so I was trawling PGL and came across something interesting:

My question is as follows: Why is it that roughly 80% of Ferrothorn are Brave in both the BSD and VGC formats on cart, especially considering that the suggested spread on the Smogon dex has a Relaxed nature? I understand the prevalence of the Choice Band set, but that only accounts for about 40-50% of the usage in both formats so is there a take on the standard Leech Seed tank build with a Brave nature that I'm unaware of? If so, what's the spread?

On a side note, can someone explain to me why the Choice Band set is overshadowing the standard tank set so much in the current meta? What is making CB Ferrothorn so popular at the moment?
In a fast paced and generally offensive meta, I'd like to think that Ferrothorn usage has adapted so that it outputs as much damage as it can while still being relatively bulky. This is usually because whatever damage it does without a boosting nature isn't really enough to be useful especially since you have a fast Grass/Steel in Kartana and a staple Trick Room sweeper in Snorlax, so people opt for slightly higher damage output in TR rather than play passively with leech seed. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, going off guess work completely here just from playing 18 and theorying with friends :)

I'm having trouble stopping the Rain Perish Trap strategy with Mega Gengar, Gothitelle, Politoed, Amoongus and a swift swimmer of choice like Ludicolo or Kingdra.

Please halp! What's a good way to combat this thing?

I'm having trouble stopping the Rain Perish Trap strategy with Mega Gengar, Gothitelle, Politoed, Amoongus and a swift swimmer of choice like Ludicolo or Kingdra.

Please halp! What's a good way to combat this thing?
Taunt stops perish song. TTar Makes it so they can't really lead rain or gothitelle/Gengar (just be sure to play cautiously with it). Soundproof is a way to deal with it. Ghost types/uturn/volt switch let you get out of the trap and volt switch it also a way to hurt rain.

The weirdest thing just happened while I was playing on my 3DS. I had mega Gengar and Gastrodon out and my opponent a Lando-T. It then used Knock Off and it failed O.o

Gastrodon still had an item and it was an Aguav berry, nothing like Brightpowder. How could Knock off fail?!

The weirdest thing just happened while I was playing on my 3DS. I had mega Gengar and Gastrodon out and my opponent a Lando-T. It then used Knock Off and it failed O.o

Gastrodon still had an item and it was an Aguav berry, nothing like Brightpowder. How could Knock off fail?!
Do you have the Battle Video for that moment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)