Walrus Walrus: The Movie

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
In 7th: Alette

Mito - Mein Schatz
88/100

You weeb. Although, I’m surprised this is an anime op tbh, sounds nothing like one. Almost sounds like a boss theme from a video game, which from me is pretty high praise. Big fan of how the grander orchestral elements mix with the acoustic guitar underneath. Monogatari is never a show I’ve had any interest in but honestly this piqued it a bit.

Ampharos

In 4th: Marth

Amogh Symphony - Osiris 1
91/100

Oh jeez. I’m a sucker for cyberpunk, and I’m a sucker for proggish metal, and I’m a sucker for jazzy stuff. This is hitting all the right notes for me. If there’s a criticism I have, it’s that it sometimes gets to be a little… too much? It’s very high intensity for a large chunk of the song, to be sure, and that makes it kind of an exhausting listen. Still super cool.

Ampharos

In 2nd: Champ

Genesis - Dance on a Volcano
94/100

One of the dopest intros I’ve ever heard in a prog song. Phil Collins is pretty damn incredible and it shows in this song. Really like the level of intensity on this song - it’s nothing excessive but it’s not really anything I’ve heard out of Genesis before and it’s doing wonders for their sound.

Ampharos

In 1st: Nego

Dot Hacker - Whatever You Want
98/100

The first instance in the walrus where I’ve listened to a song and immediately known what the category winner was gonna be. This hits all the right notes for me as far as an indie song goes for me - peculiar vocals that should be bad, but somehow aren’t, interesting guitar work, engaging progressions, just overall really good stuff. Shocked that this is from Frusciante’s replacement tbh. RHCP side projects dominating the round this time.

And here is how Peter Gabriel dressed when singing that song!

A risky submission that I've always wanted to give to someone. This cat seemed a perfect fit especially with the ramp up from the intro to the keyboards and then the song ramps up 2 more times...

Ampharos

In 35th: Asek

Modest Mouse - Trucker's Atlas
45/100

There are like 3 songs by Modest Mouse that I like. This isn’t one of them. The vocals, as per usual with this band, don’t do it for me at all, and in fact are pretty actively grating. The backing isn’t BAD per se but it’s not strong enough to carry and it definitely drags on way too long in the song’s closing minutes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)